Fu_dog

Flying Phoenix Chi Kung

This sounds beautiful , wish I could see this as it sounds like it was just meant to be ;)

and as someone from the UK , I would love to see Terry working his magic at Stonehenge !

P.S. btw, to let you know how the Tao was turning that summer day in 1995, I was in the U.K. in pursuit of the love of my life--and during that time also hooked up and toured the country with my mentor in film and all things cinematographic, Michael Wadleigh, who was living in Wales at the time with his companion Ms. Cleo Huggins. Michael is the renowned director of the "Woodstock" musical documentary of 1969 and without any prior planning, we spontaneously decided to shoot what ultimately became Vol.6 of the VHS series right there at Stonehenge because the conditions were right on every level. Michael Wadleigh filmed all the footage seen n Vol.6 on a Hi-8 camera without a tripod.

Edited by Bruce Qi
  • Like 1

Also , I was wondering , once I have established a strong foundation in FP would it be ok to do FP in the morning and SYG in the evening ?

If I remember correctly, in the past it has been confirmed that it is OK.

(eg. first sentences on http://thetaobums.com/topic/28535-sunn-yee-gong-comments-attainments/page-17 but there were more posts on that)

Edited by Leif

i have been doing long form for 3 years, when I met Sifu Dunn we did it together in the Goose Egg park he led the breathing as 90 60 5 50 40 ... I had been doing it that way for over a year and surely would have noticed the change ??

as to the breath I notice lots of concern about lengths and counts I suggest a metronome or as a beginning effort just an old fashioned clock that ticks loudly. That helps to maintain the rhythm and timing of the counts.

Over the years I have worked on slowing and deepening the breathing during TCC and QC exercises. The rate of performance of any of the meditations I let the breath guide me. The more I can meditate (concentrate) on the breath the more intense the feeling of qi and the more cultivation of qi in dan tien.

Doing the forms too slowly at first when not associated with deep natural breathing has always seemed to miss the mark. The whole point being to cultivate qi, to cultivate awareness of one's own qi.

peace

• Like 3

i have been doing long form for 3 years, when I met Sifu Dunn we did it together in the Goose Egg park he led the breathing as 90 60 5 50 40 ... I had been doing it that way for over a year and surely would have noticed the change ??

as to the breath I notice lots of concern about lengths and counts I suggest a metronome or as a beginning effort just an old fashioned clock that ticks loudly. That helps to maintain the rhythm and timing of the counts.

Over the years I have worked on slowing and deepening the breathing during TCC and QC exercises. The rate of performance of any of the meditations I let the breath guide me. The more I can meditate (concentrate) on the breath the more intense the feeling of qi and the more cultivation of qi in dan tien.

Doing the forms too slowly at first when not associated with deep natural breathing has always seemed to miss the mark. The whole point being to cultivate qi, to cultivate awareness of one's own qi.

peace

Ridingtheox,

You alway contribute excellent information and share very valuable experiences. You inspire me and I'm sure many other. Thanks for being here, thanks for being real.

Ben

• Like 1

That's correct yet it always felt to me more like a safety warning for beginners than absolute rule. Similar to breath holding, it's said that 'There is no retention in beginning levels of the FP system.' yet once one progresses (my own wording) retention (to count up to 100% each time) adds to the effect of each breath control sequence.

The percentages are 'translated' I believe was the word used, it's a generalization already and not an absolutely exact representation of original, and in that light the difference eg. between 80 50 40 30 10 and 90 50 40 30 10 would be next to none.

Only the difference in Long Form seems more significant, though the breathing pattern still kind of matches.

It's not publicly known what the breathing system is based on, so one can only guess, but in case the breathing patterns possibly might be even partially based on anatomy (eg. organ location), that could lend it further flexibility since each human being has slightly different anatomy (even energetic anatomy) in terms of measurement (eg. head vs body %, or upper vs. lower body %) and placement.

Safety belts vs 'IT'?

(Just thinking out loud, I have merely scratched the surface of the system myself ...)

Hi Leif,

When you are just practicing the FP system as a beginner, one can easily think that you can fudge a breathing sequence that's 80 50 40 30 10 with 90 50 40 30 10. But being sloppy with the FP breathing sequences will definitely dull the effects of the respective exercises. They work optimally when the breath percentages are practiced as taught by GM Doo Wai and preserved in my DVD series.

After practicing 54 different breathing formulas in the Ten Thousand Buddhas Ascending To Heaven Neikung System, 34+ breath-control formulas in basic level FP Qigong, 9 more formulas in the Level 2 Flying Phoenix, and 12 Formulas for the 8 Sections of Energy Combined Kung Fu system, plus about 20 Bok Fu Pai Meditations, one knows to be very, very precise and careful with the breathing formulas. For a slight alteration of a breath count with or without a change in posture--can change the energy manifestation from healing to martial or vice versa. The Bok Fu Pai system has a martial meditation with 4 percentage exhalations that will enable one seriously disturb the energy system of any human or animal at any distance so long as the subject (target) is in sight.

Thus I want to remind everyone here that GM Doo Wai during our training years emphasized that whenever you do a prescribed breath control sequence incorrectly, you should STOP immediately, take three breathes to come out of the meditation, and do the meditation all over again from the start with 3 full breaths and then the breath control sequence.

You are semantically incorrect by assuming that "translation" means "generalization." In the case of the Bok Fu Pai Family tradition, it does NOT.

The translation of the original breathing methods practiced by the monks at Ehrmeishan on the part of Grandmaster Doo Wai was and is a work of genius. There was no guesswork or approximation. And no "generalization". There was accurate translation into a new language recognizable by the human left-brain.

You can ask Sifu Hearfield whether he thinks the hundreds of breath control sequences that he preserves are "generalizations" and whether one can substitute a 90% exhalation for an 80% exhalation here and there.

Nothing generalized from an unknown method can create the specific energizing and rejuvenating effects of the FP Qigong system.

Best,

Sifu Terry Dunn

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 6

Thank you Sifu Terry Dunn for this. I think it is very important that we following exactly the same road and honor the system and his teachers. Feel what breathing does to you takes a lot longer than feeling the movements. But it is the interplay where power lies.

Best

John

Hi Sify Terry,

First of all, I wish you a Happy New Year for 2015!

Second, I have just checked the DVD vol 4, and the breathing sequence you give in this DVD is 90 60 5 50 40... :excl:

Hope it helps

Best regards

Hi Bubbles,

Happy New Year!

Yes, the breath-control sequence for Vol.4 Long Form Standing Meditation is indeed 90 60 5 50 40.

Throughout all of December and every day of this month as well, I have been practicing a non-FP (martial) exercise in addition to FP Long Form Standing Meditation that has the breathing sequence 90 80 60 30 40 10 50 5, and I had a "brain-fart" when I posted my New Year's day message (No. 3145) because that other mediation form is also long and has slow even tempo as the Vol.4 exercise.

I'm sorry for causing the confusion. I hope I've nipped it in the bud and it hasn't become too widespread!

Don't be alarmed--there is no other breathing sequence that goes with the Long Form moving meditation on Vol.4 of Chi Kuing For Health.

Thanks, Bubbles!

Sifu Terry Dunn

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 4

To all FP Qigong practitioners,

Again, I wish to clarify that I made a mistake on January 1 with my post No. 3145:

The breathing sequence for the Long Form Standing Meditation, which I've also described as the "capstone" of the FP Qigong system, is: 90 60 5 40 30 and not 90 80 60 30 40 5 50 10! The latter is the breath sequence that goes with a Tai Chi-like martial form that I had been practicing on a daily basis in addition to the Long Form Standing 2x...so when I went to post my message, that habituated breath sequence popped into my brain instead of the correct sequence.

Please excuse the error.

Happy New Year.

Sifu Terry Dunn

www.taichimania.com/chikung_catalog.html

• Like 2

... and I repeat FP meditations and especially the long form continue to surprise me as the intensity of awareness of qi increases. Recently I think I reported here I have had several powerful practices that left me at a loss to believe!

One item the tinnitus i had hoped would respond to FPCH does not seem to ...

finally I seem to have lost my long form disk which i use for reference mostly :)

Thank you Sifu Terry for the clarification and happy new year!

Can you please confirm also the bending the bow and MSW1 breathing sequences?

• Like 1

I know that some people on this forum try various chi kung methods in addition to Flying Phoenix.

I just want to alert you to a situation that I encountered this week. I ordered Wu Wei Qigong from the China's Living Treasures. Before ordering I had my medical intuitive test it and the results came back great. However, when I viewed the dvd yesterday I could not believe what I was watching, it was an imitation of the famous and extremely popular Falun Dafa/Falun Gong by a different master. So I have written to the distributor trying to find out who stole from who? Master Li brought/ created Falun years ago but on this Wu Wei dvd it is well known Master George Xu doing the movements. The Falun dvd costs $15 or you can view it free online. The Wu Wei dvd costs over $50.

So just a warning in case anyone has any intentions of exploring Wu Wei Qigong. You can see a German master performing clips from it on youtube and even though he speaks in German, you can hear him clearly say "Falun Gong" at times as he demonstrates the movements.

• Like 1

oops long form TCC by Sifu Dunn

Oops is right! That was quite a blooper.

But then again, perhaps it was my subconscious working to attract the inquisitive to find out what exercise goes with the 90 80 60 30 40 5 50 10 breathing sequence!

Speaking of bloopers, do you think the world is ready for a "Bloopers" DVD on FP Qigong?

'doubt it.

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 2

Hi Sifu Terry and the rest of the FP crowd :)

So , I have tried FP before but always dithered between vartious systems and never really give it a fair chance.

I have been doing FP for the last week and WOW !

I dont know what it is but things are oepning up so quickly it is unreal , feels like the time was just right to finally start.

orbits and channels are opening very rapidly , for instance today the arm raises from vol 2 had the energetic pathways of the arms opening right up and the standing monk holds pearl had the leg channels not to mention various other pathways opening really strongly.

It has also boosted my tantra practice :)

Cant wait to get many more days , weeks , months and years of FP energy practice as I can only imagine where it takes you !

Forgot to mention , after my practice I do one run through of the long form following sifu Terry on the dvd and after about 5 days I am now starting to feel the effects strongly of this form , last week I could not feel much but it is starting to quickly change , can't wait to finally learn it from memory so I can stay in the FP zone when I am doing it with eyes shut.

Edited by Bruce Qi
  • Like 3

Cant wait to get many more days , weeks , months and years of FP energy practice as I can only imagine where it takes you !

hmmm ... curb your enthusiasm ... can't wait? Yes the long term is what we invest our practice in.

qi gong implies a long term 'practice' not a hurry up get 'er dun

when thinking about FPCH it helps to have a long term commitment. Your early perceptions certainly agree with my experience over the last 4 with the qi gong FPCK.

if I might suggest a frame to consider might more likely be a commitment to practice daily for 100 days. Take your time to engage deeply with each meditation Sifu Dunn has presented.

The journey is more important than the objective in many respects. Cultivate qi with each practice. However, do not be surprised by occasional 'plateaus' or even declines in progress. Every day just practice. Make the time. The rewards are there.

Peace

• Like 2

So , I have tried FP before but always dithered between vartious systems and never really give it a fair chance.

I dont know what it is but things are oepning up so quickly it is unreal , feels like the time was just right to finally start.

orbits and channels are opening very rapidly , for instance today the arm raises from vol 2 had the energetic pathways of the arms opening right up and the standing monk holds pearl had the leg channels not to mention various other pathways opening really strongly.

Forgot to mention , after my practice I do one run through of the long form following sifu Terry on the dvd and after about 5 days I am now starting to feel the effects strongly of this form , last week I could not feel much but it is starting to quickly change , can't wait to finally learn it from memory so I can stay in the FP zone when I am doing it with eyes shut.

Excellent Bruce Qi!

Please take your time to read through all 200 pages of this thread. There is so much advice and guidance in it. It's packed with inspirational advice from Sifu Terry and others.

This Qigong is definitely a keeper. This could be very well the best and most powerful Qigong available commercially that you can learn from DVD. Stick to it and more results will come.

And a warm welcome to the forum :0

Ben

• Like 1

hmmm ... curb your enthusiasm ... can't wait? Yes the long term is what we invest our practice in.

when thinking about FPCH it helps to have a long term commitment. Your early perceptions certainly agree with my experience over the last 4 with the qi gong FPCK.

if I might suggest a frame to consider might more likely be a commitment to practice daily for 100 days. Take your time to engage deeply with each meditation Sifu Dunn has presented.

The journey is more important than the objective in many respects. Cultivate qi with each practice. However, do not be surprised by occasional 'plateaus' or even declines in progress. Every day just practice. Make the time. The rewards are there.

Peace

Nice words, Ridingthrox.

It's been a blessing to have you here.

Ben

• Like 1

Hi Bruce Qi,

Welcome to the FP Qigong system.

I have always found over my years of teaching FP qigong that whenever the student is ready, the Flying Phoenix will always be ready to light him and her up. Hmm, maybe we should turn that into an FP slogan or something!

Everybody's physical reaction to the FP Qigong system's energizing and rejuvenating effects differs depending on their health, fitness, intelligence, emotional life, athletic development, or lack of, genetics, etc.

But the one thing that is universally experienced by FP Qigong practitioners is the deep level of absorption into Oneness that the FP Meditations facilitate. Thus FP Qigong practice will enhance and accelerate a person's practice of any authentic system of meditation, Qigong and yoga.

The same is very true of the Bok Fu Pai martial meditation systems. In the Los Angeles group that i put together to study with GM Doo Wai in the early 1990's, everybody was quite advanced in a variety of martial arts. All of us were constantly blown away by the instantly energizing, rejuvenating and mind-body integrating effects of all the exercises that GM Doo Wai taught us. I've written a lot over the years on this thread about the profound psychical development that the Bok Fu Pai meditative arts bring about.

Keep us abreast of your progress with FP. And remember, all the FP Meditations in the DVD series form a cohesive system. All act synergistically with each other and the effects of practicing any number of them on a regular basis is cumulative in terms of their effects.

Best,

Sifu Terry Dunn

www.taichimania.com/chikung_catalog.html

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 1

... and I repeat FP meditations and especially the long form continue to surprise me as the intensity of awareness of qi increases. Recently I think I reported here I have had several powerful practices that left me at a loss to believe!One item the tinnitus i had hoped would respond to FPCH does not seem to ...finally I seem to have lost my long form disk which i use for reference mostly :)

Lol i have lost mine to a friend who never practiced it, but like you, i have been practicing the long form consistently for over 3 years now.

About the tinnitus :

I've been hearing various inner sounds for a while, learned that not all inner sounds are tinnitus. As they are 100% subjective, only you can discriminate them. Of the various sounds, if one has a big bell chime like quality, that is definitely not tinnitus. That is the sacred current of nada yoga whose lower octaves pulls you into not "om" but "ong" which is said to be the frequency of the causal plane. If you can produce the note of an another bell like current and find it corresponds to a certain note in music scale, it is related to one of your chakras. Mine is note A, documented to be related to the brow chakra. These sounds are very pleasant, and pull me in after I overcame the fear by some research and experimentation, as they can be quite loud sometimes.

Another cathegory of sounds consists of the sounds coming from my energetic configuration,

like birds or cicadas chirping, wind blowing over trees in a forest, the piper( of the song "stairway to heaven" by Led Zeppelin :-)), thunder, smal tinkles, echoes etc. I have some little control over them, and they increase during and after chi kung and meditation.

Yoga and chi kung enhance the above cathegories, increasing both perception levels and the "voltage" of the vessel. So I would'nt expect these sounds to be diminished by chi kung, but I believe they will transform into inner and maybe outer light after some maturity.

And then there is that hissing sound which is related to blood pressure and seems to be coming from the veins in my inner ear, that is definitely tinnitus. Internal work brings relaxation and will certainly help the blood vessels, but mine is not diminished completely. But I am not concerned, as it helps me to turn my attention to the other inner sounds, and it is quite spacey within :-)

Best of everything,

Cihan

• Like 2

Thank you Sifu Terry for the clarification and happy new year!

Can you please confirm also the bending the bow and MSW1 breathing sequences?

Hi Pitisukha,

The breathing sequences for Bending the Bows on Vol.1 and MSW #1 on Vol.2 are exactly as they appear in the DVDs.

Best,

Sifu Terry Dunn

• Like 1

On Tuesday I had my first lesson skype with Sifu Terry Dunn. Sifu Terry is a very friendly guy and great to work with. If you still want to get a better understanding and to deepen even more than these Skype lessons are really worth

Best

John

• Like 1

I return to FP as a beginner but not to energy work which I have many years of experience with so all too familiar with gong fu , time and effort :)

Bruce Qi - similar to your experience very early on with FP ChiKung system, I also

felt strong effects right away - couldn't believe it! However as I continued with my daily practice (it has been 13 mos. now) things began to level out and there was less of a WOW and more of a general calmness that seemed to carry me quietly along throughout the day. Being an energetic, emotional and often scattered person, ChiKung has had a mellowing effect that has given me balance and much needed consistency in all my activities. These changes are quite profound in a very positive way..and I've only just begun!

Callanish

• Like 3

Hi all,

Having done Flying Phoenix Qigong on and off over the last 9 months due to back pain and other issues that come up in life I have felt sad for not having been consistent with it. I decided to start a 100 Day FPQG challenge no matter what! I'm sharing my daily progress and thoughts here in my personal practice journal. I'll start tomorrow, the 16th of January 2015.

I encourage anyone who has felt the same way to join me on a journey of 100 days and through that inspire yourself and inspire others to build a solid foundation in this wonderful practice.

Cheers everyone.

Ben

• Like 3