Fu_dog

Flying Phoenix Chi Kung

373038_236579434951_437377547_q.jpg

Last night was sword night under a beautiful moon: I started with my favorite 3 Advanced Flying Phoenix Qigong exercises (2 are on my Youtube channel) as warm-up, followed by 3 rounds of Master Abraham Liu's Yang style Tai Chi sword form, followed by 3 rounds of Dr. York Loo's Yang TC Sword form, followed by 3 rounds of Master William C.C. Chen's Yang TC Sword Form--all using my heaviest sword from the 1970's. Then followed with one round of half of Master Chan Ching Kai's Liu He Ba Fa form and one round of his Yang Short Form (which I call his "fighting form"), followed by 3 rounds of the Yang TC broadsword set, sealed with one round of William C.C. Chen's 60-posture form. Talk about bliss.

Inspired by the Mercury Retrograde, this morning's practice started with one basic preparatory Flying Phoenix seated meditation (from Vol.1 of CKFH series with breathing sequence 50 30 10), the 22-movement seated meditation (that I taught to "Fu_doggy" last year) then complete 7-repetition sets of "Monk Serves Wine" meditations No. 3 (90 80 50 20)--known as the "waker-upper", MSW med. #5 (70 50 20 10), MSW med. #6 (80 70 50 30), then Flying Phoenix standing meditations--"Bending the Bows" (18x), one round of "Wind Through the Treetops", one round of "Wind Above the Clouds", one round of "Moonbeam Splashes on Water"; spiced with one round of the short version of the Tao Tan Pai Five Dragons Meditation--yowza, followed by one round each of the first four 90-second meditations on Volume 5, and finally ending with 18 reps. of a most powerful Bok Fu Pai meditation. Intense brain activation and fullness and consistency of the FP Energy was felt increasing throughout the entire 3 hours of practice.

Sifu Terry Dunn

www.taichimania.com/chikung_catalog.html

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 1

Just sharing here a clip from Doo Family White Eyebrow Geng Jak Ging "Internal explosive force" or Scared Force. Speaking with your Sifu recently regarding the Doo Family internal methods of circle & square and where to unlock the force with in the meditations. There is a couple of meditations of the 18 called Dan fei fung, sheung fei fung "Single & double phoenix which is based on the creature flying, landing and moving in the sky (air/wind). These 2 meditations have a lot of 1 legged stances which is to develop a strong root, balance, leg & body strength to progress the student to release power from any position you may come across in combat.

enjoy...

Sifu Garry Doo Family Representative Australia

• Like 1

Hi everyone, how's the practice going?

I've been doing 18 reps or Bending the Bows regularly for the last few weeks. This used to seem like a lot to me, but now I'm wondering what it might be like to do a sort of BTB marathon. Say 50 reps? I'm sure it will take at least an hour and a half.

Sifu Terry, would you recommend any particular number of reps beyond 18? Have you or any of your students ever tried a 'BTB marathon'?

• Like 1

Last night before going to sleep I did the volume 7 Big Sleeper, 50-20-10 at a much slower pace than I have tried before. It was worth going to bed later as a result of the extra time this took because I could feel this tangible sort of solid energy field the closer my hand got to my body with each repetition. The hand could almost just hang on the pillow of energy. Last week an energy worker told me that the health aura is located about 4-6" away from the body. When I heard this it explained why when my hands come down close to the body doing FP meditations, the chi feels stronger than when they are out further. I then began to wonder if this is one way that FP meds promote health by bringing the chi from the hands into the health aura?

Or, are the hands feeling the chi stronger close to the body because the FP meds put so much extra chi into the health aura?

• Like 1

Hi everyone, how's the practice going?

I've been doing 18 reps or Bending the Bows regularly for the last few weeks. This used to seem like a lot to me, but now I'm wondering what it might be like to do a sort of BTB marathon. Say 50 reps? I'm sure it will take at least an hour and a half.

Sifu Terry, would you recommend any particular number of reps beyond 18? Have you or any of your students ever tried a 'BTB marathon'?

Hi Alleswasderfallist,

Bending the Bows is one of the most important and central moving meditations in the FP Qigong system. There is no harm in doing Bending the Bows 50 times if that's your urge or predilection, for the energization and vibratory state created by the meditation will automatically subside at some point, depending on the practitioner.

The key, however, is do the BTB meditation with total relaxation and correction posture such that one no longer feels the body--at least approaches that state of "frictionless" movement. If one does 50 reps with bad form, that may simply develop or retain bad habits.

To answer your question: No, I have never tried or suggested that students do more than 18 repetitions of BTB because I have found that if I did the meditation as slowly as possible--at the speed of a shifting sand dune, then that took a good solid hour or longer. But if you are doing BTB at a super-slow speed and thorough bodily relaxation, then i would say, go ahead...knock yourself out!

When I practice the Basic FP Meditations or teach a class in it, I do all the standing meditations of Vol.1 for about 5 minutes each, do 10 minutes of BTB, and then do Wind Through Treetops once, Wind Above the Clouds once, then "Moonbeam" once or twice, and the Long Standing Meditation of Volume 4 once or twice. That's usually a good 60 to 90 minutes or longer, depending on one's speed of movement. Then I cover all the 3 basic seated preparatory meditations at the start of Vol.2 and then at least 2 of the seated Monk Serves Wine meditations (from either Vol.2 or Vol.7). That brings the total practice session to 2 hours or more.

Sifu Terry

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 1

Because of the mercury retrograde that started Oct. 21, I have been praciticing overtime reviewing all the martial arts that I hope to perfect and better preserve. I told Alleswasderfallest that I don't do more than 18 reps. of Bending the Bows myself nor do I direct my students to do more than 18 reps in a session because "18" was the number that GMDW recommended for this very powerful exercise and because I can easily fill an hour with its practice and I desire to cover as much of the Basic Level FP System when I am teaching. The other reason that I keep the reps to 18 is that I have several subsystems within the Bok Fu Pai tradition to preserve, I have to get to the other systems besides FP Qigong. For example, this morning, I spent one full hour on Basic and Advanced FP Qigong and then 2 hours 50 minutes practicing Sections 3, 4, 5, 6, 8 and the Preparatory Form of the Bot Dim Gum (8 Sections of Energy Combined system) two times each. (And prior to the one hour of Basic and Advanced FP, I practiced a shortened version of an advanced Tao Tan Pai meditation that took 35 min. Total practice time was thus 4 hours 25 min.)

Good practicing to all. And I hope to hear more reports of your energy effects from "Moonbeam" on Vol.3 and the Long Form Standing of Vol.4.

Sifu Terry

• Like 1

Last night before going to sleep I did the volume 7 Big Sleeper, 50-20-10 at a much slower pace than I have tried before. It was worth going to bed later as a result of the extra time this took because I could feel this tangible sort of solid energy field the closer my hand got to my body with each repetition. The hand could almost just hang on the pillow of energy. Last week an energy worker told me that the health aura is located about 4-6" away from the body. When I heard this it explained why when my hands come down close to the body doing FP meditations, the chi feels stronger than when they are out further. I then began to wonder if this is one way that FP meds promote health by bringing the chi from the hands into the health aura?

Or, are the hands feeling the chi stronger close to the body because the FP meds put so much extra chi into the health aura?

Hello Steve,

No. The FP Qigong cultivates energy rather evenly and sublimely throughout the body. The FP healing Qi does not originate in the hands and then affect the body. The alchemic formula of posture, movement and the priming breath-control sequence ignites a circulation of FP energy in the body first, which then extends to the hands and extremities. Some people with very clean and clear internal energy channels will feel extra fullness and comfort in the hands, but everything--every cell-- between the hands and central nervous system along the spine will already been fully charged and energy-permeated. Every person's body is different. All energy healers--and this would include those using FP Healing Energy are able to mentally concentrate higher intensity of energy into the hands, and this is typically proven by Kirlian photography. FP Qigong, however, at its advanced levels is very even and sublime. As stated many times on the thread, when one has cultivated a substantial reserve of FP energy, the healing Qi will spontaneously transfer and infuse into the healing subject at the slightest touch.

Keep up the healthful practice of 50 20 10 before sleeping. It can't hurt to spend more time doing this meditation for it can only make you sleep better.

One's health aura can extend 4 to 6" from the body. But don't take anyone's word for it; see it for yourself. (if interested, we can go over means to develop and fine tune "seeing" energy in our online session). One' s health aura can be much reduced if one is in poor health or it can much more extended if one is in peak health or is enthused or inflamed with special energy such as the tangible FP Healing Energy. When I used to watch GMDW in healing mode, the aura above his hands (which I saw more as a shadow) reached upward into the heavens.

Best,

Sifu Terry

www.taichimania.com/chikung_catalog.html

Edited by zen-bear

Good practicing to all. And I hope to hear more reports of your energy effects from "Moonbeam" on Vol.3 and the Long Form Standing of Vol.4.

Sifu Terry

Hello all,

I've been practicing the long form and BTB for over 3,5 years . As I am completely on my own, with occasional help from you guys in this forum, my gains from this might be somewhat different. There are noo teachers around Istanbul.

These are my current realizations and my overall progress:

As I did not know how to stand properly then, the basic static standing meds did not appeal to me, I also could not sit properly (still can not), so I decided to start from what I could best manage, with a little tai chi experience before, I started with the Long Form, doing 5-6 reps a week in 2010.

I am an occasional athlete, and within a year's time of practicing the Long Form, I run 2 marathons and a half one for the first time in my life in one year's time. The Long Form improved my recovery rate in betwen the runs amazingly. At that year, with all the good chemicals in my brain because of running and practicing the long form, I really felt like a big cat, happy, relaxed and agile most of the time.

Then, as usual, things came in between, I stopped running but discovered that I can now do BTB, which was very painful before, but my body was adjusted doing the long form for a year, so I added BTB to the practice. I then added a Magnetic Qigong as thaught by sifu Chris Matsuo and later discovered Kuji In meditations, both of which greatly complemented to what I am becoming.

Nowadays I am doing all of the above exercises, plus the standing static ones, plus the first two of the Monk Serving Wine series, (by sitting with the help of cushions), alternately at an average of 2 hours a day.

The standing forms are said to be basic, but once I go over the barrier of proper alignment they tied into meditation, and provided me the fuel to dive deeper,(or go higher?) gave many insights and also taught me how to better meditate.

Even BTB becomes a static form when I do it "slow" and it teaches me to do it with less physical effort every time .I haven't mastered The Long Form to that degree yet, but it provides me with the usual health benefits meanwhile and eventually I hope to master this new level.

The forms insighed me into expanding and contracting using my intent. My intention becomes a container for chi.

When I relax, I seem to expand like a vortex and get filled with generated chi, which feels like it completely belongs to me and operable.Ironicaly, it takes a lot of "effort" for me to relax and stay like that for a period of time. I don't know whether this is the reason for the good health effects, but definitely I am not dreaming about it.

Another thing is the ground feels more and more like a part of me through which I directly connect to the outside. After the exercise, I feel a little drunk in a good way and feel different. Is that the reason Monks are Serving Wine? I am not using any drugs or alcohol, but for the past week it felt and still feels like I was wearing a red cape most of my wake hours, and when I did the forms, the cape becomes dark bright blue, so I think I am hopefully somewhat on a parallel path with the other practitioners.

(I also realized now maybe I take a break from practicing for a few days to rest and adjust).

Best wishes to all

Cihan

• Like 4

Hi Alleswasderfallist,

Bending the Bows is one of the most important and central moving meditations in the FP Qigong system. There is no harm in doing Bending the Bows 50 times if that's your urge or predilection, for the energization and vibratory state created by the meditation will automatically subside at some point, depending on the practitioner.

The key, however, is do the BTB meditation with total relaxation and correction posture such that one no longer feels the body--at least approaches that state of "frictionless" movement. If one does 50 reps with bad form, that may simply develop or retain bad habits.

To answer your question: No, I have never tried or suggested that students do more than 18 repetitions of BTB because I have found that if I did the meditation as slowly as possible--at the speed of a shifting sand dune, then that took a good solid hour or longer. But if you are doing BTB at a super-slow speed and thorough bodily relaxation, then i would say, go ahead...knock yourself out!

When I practice the Basic FP Meditations or teach a class in it, I do all the standing meditations of Vol.1 for about 5 minutes each, do 10 minutes of BTB, and then do Wind Through Treetops once, Wind Above the Clouds once, then "Moonbeam" once or twice, and the Long Standing Meditation of Volume 4 once or twice. That's usually a good 60 to 90 minutes or longer, depending on one's speed of movement. Then I cover all the 3 basic seated preparatory meditations at the start of Vol.2 and then at least 2 of the seated Monk Serves Wine meditations (from either Vol.2 or Vol.7). That brings the total practice session to 2 hours or more.

Sifu Terry

I think I should focus on slowing down my practice of BTB at this point. It's been taking me 30 - 40 minutes lately, so I can still work on effortlessness and a more relaxed speed before I try a 'marathon'. Though, this idea does appeal to me and I'll eventually try it out.

I will post my first impressions of volume four later this week, as I've been memorizing the movement over the last few days. I haven't tried it with the breathing sequence yet, but the movements alone seem to be generating as much qi as 18 reps of BTB or the equivalent. Sifu Terry, I recently read through some of your older posts on the healing effects of volume 4 and its ability to bring one to the next level in using the FP energy to heal others. I can't wait to experience this for myself and report my findings. This truly is a remarkable system!

I guess it's time to start moving on down the FP path. To be honest, I'm absolutely content with the effects from the simple standing and sitting meds + of course the nighty night med. My experience with great systems like this has been that the most profound and powerful are often hidden in the beginning. Not sure if this is true in this case, but I know from my own direct experience that those first 2 dvd's are full of jewels.

I have had all the dvd's for quite some time now yet never even opened a few of them. I think it's time. These next 3-6 months are going to be my FP (and SM) season. I'm coming off an intense season of Gao Bagua 64 Hou Tian palms and am feeling the need to shift gears a bit.

Thanks again Sifu Terry for sharing your time and energy to spread these precious jewels.

Hello everyone!

As I've stated in one of my older posts, I'm structuring my practice following this page:

http://www.taichimania.com/trainingschedule.html

now I'm at point 9, here, it's stated, one can feel the different energetic effects of the meditations, so one can choose 2 of them to practice for 6 months.

My problem is I don't feel any difference between the meditations, I feel some tingling in hands (in general).

In the standing ones I've noticed also an increase in body temperature, and in the sitting ones a very distracting numbness in legs (especially durnig MSW2 that takes more time sitting)... that's all

I'd like to know your impressions and suggestions

Edited by pitisukha

In terms of not noticing differences between meditations I can only say that for me over time different meds resulted in subtle differences of the energy. The key being over time. I also know that different people feel energy differently due to energy blockages, individual conditions of the nervous system, etc. I happen to not be that sensitive to subtle energies so for me to feel chi flow in my hands has been a nice experience. What I experience is what I experience. And the slower I go, the more chi I do feel in my hands and near my body as the hand movements approach the body on the moving meds. The numbness in the legs was with me for awhile in the beginning until my legs got used to that position. But I don't feel chi traveling within the body or anything like that. Sometimes there is tingling in the third eye, but that is about it. I know that people have dropped chi kung because their experiences did not meet expectations. I just prefer to drop the expectations and keep the chi kung practice. Also, it might be good to have a private Skype session with Sifu Terry who might have some ways of correcting some things for you so you could rule out any mistakes in doing the meds.

Edited by tao stillness

Thanks for your advice,

I'm not talking about not met expectations, but what I'm experiencing at this moment.

Onestly I've read that point 9 only last sunday...

I'm in doubt about randomly choosing two meditations to practice for six month, or else..

Have you not noticed mental clarity? mental sharpness? more focus? automatically connecting to others feelings? becoming energy sensitive? becoming emphat? insights? (aside from vitality and health)

If so in time you might experience these. If you practiced/time invested "diligently and correctly".

But sometimes I deliberately still skipped (days) my FP practice because at this point, I am still integrating. Sometimes it is overwhelming.

• Like 1

Have you not noticed mental clarity? mental sharpness? more focus? automatically connecting to others feelings? becoming energy sensitive? becoming emphat? insights? (aside from vitality and health)

If so in time you might experience these. If you practiced/time invested "diligently and correctly".

But sometimes I deliberately still skipped (days) my FP practice because at this point, I am still integrating. Sometimes it is overwhelming.

Hi everyone,

I'm a kind of new practionner, I discovered the flying phoenix system like 6 months ago roughly and when I did it for the first time it seemed incredibly powerful and relaxing. I did it for 2 weeks something like that and I started to feel that it was working on my blockages, on my lungs especially which was kind of annoying, because I felt like I couldn't really breath at some times during the day when I practiced. So I kind of quit the practice, but I put it in a corner of my head because I really liked what I was feeling during the practice even though it was making unconfortable after the practice.

I did try another system just after that, but it was different, so I decided to resume my practice 2 months and half ago, and I have practiced daily since, maybe missing 2 days, no more. And this time even though I could feel like it was working on my lungs again, it was a tad bit better, which was encouraging, so I keep going. About what you said Shivashakti, I really feel too, that if I do too much some days, the next days sometimes it's a little bit hard to handle, as if the energy needs to ground itself yes. I feel like too, that if one day I practice more time than usually, I need to get more active during the day, otherwise, the energy gets stuck, like if I spend my day watching series on my computer afterwhile I don't feel like good. But on the opposite If I go jogging, or do a bit of sport, it feels fine. So I really think I need to adapt my chi kung practice to the amount of activity I have in the day. These days I try to do less, I was usually practicing twice a day with a 60-90 sessions, but now I do only one of 45-60 (sometimes more when I try to move at the sanddune speed lol, today I did the second MSW, and it took me one hour to do the 7 repititions, I don't think I've already spend this much time for only one meditation). And it seems like since I have reduced a bit the amount time spent on practice, I do feel more grounded and with more intergity, so I'm gonna keep going and see what happens.

Thank you everyone, for that great forum topic, thank you for all the informations and support that everyone can find here,

Warm regards,

Aurélien =)

• Like 1

oreothecookie

Good thing you found it to listen to your body.

If you're doing Vol 2, MSW 2, for 1 hour (spine straight, shifting sand dune, fully relaxed and aware), that is a powerful practice.

Enjoy your practice!

Edited by ShivaShakti

Hi everyone,

I started to feel that it was working on my blockages, on my lungs especially which was kind of annoying, because I felt like I couldn't really breath at some times during the day when I practiced.

Aurélien =)

Congrats on discovering and practicing this wonderful system. If you are not doing already, try to relax your abdominal muscles and invite the breath to fill and swell your belly naturally when your breath tends to stop. It takes some time to return to this "default"setting.

I am an occasional runner and was conditioned to breath from the position of my lungs only before I discovered Chi kung and yogic breathing. This is just my guess that you might be at a similar situation.If you feel healthy, do not be concerned about your body doing something on its own :) It has a bit more intelligence than our intellectual stuff.

Best of practice

Hello oreothecookie,

If you look at post #291642 Sifu Terry said:

As stated in earlier posts, the FP meditations are very safe and self-regulating--i.e., you cannot really over-do them. After a while, the energizing and vibratory effects normally will level off and a calm stillness will be effected throughout the body as well as the mind. When the body has had enough of Flying Phoenix energy circulation, it naturally shuts it down softly.

I'm a beginner too so maybe I misunderstand, but from his words it seems FP energy is a soft and gentle energy that doesn't become stuck If you overdo the meditations.

Anyway I'm glad you find a more personally usefull way of practicing :)

Congrats on discovering and practicing this wonderful system. If you are not doing already, try to relax your abdominal muscles and invite the breath to fill and swell your belly naturally when your breath tends to stop. It takes some time to return to this "default"setting. I am an occasional runner and was conditioned to breath from the position of my lungs only before I discovered Chi kung and yogic breathing. This is just my guess that you might be at a similar situation.If you feel healthy, do not be concerned about your body doing something on its own :) It has a bit more intelligence than our intellectual stuff. Best of practice

Yes I try to pay attention to the way I breath, and at the same time sometimes when I try too much to control it, it feels not really natural, so I'm trying to find the good balance between letting the breath goes on its own and me trying control it. I can feel when I breath properly but I haven't found a way yet to do it all the time, but I feel like things are improving, so I think I shouldn't worry too much and let things happen until everything gets regulated. It harder for me as well to breath with the belly when I stand than when I sit, but well I'm sure time will make everything smooth =).

Thank you all for your nice encouraging comments

As a general effect, I've noticed mental clarity and more focus (thought this may also be due to my daily practice of anapanasati)

Anyway in my post I was wondering about differences between the various meditations.

Recognizing the various effect each FP meds cause and so be able to choose the two more usefull at this moment...

FP energy is sublime. Others here are "aware" of it, which is which. Clearly readable on this thread. But they are experienced of course.

FP energy is regulating yes, there were times it seemingly shuts off, or most probably settle down. An example of this, few times I felt huge amount chi in my FP practice, and while in the middle of my tremendous body shaking, the shaking will just suddenly stop! and then after some minutes I will continue to shake again. And a possible to note is our body has intelligence.

But this isn't clearly what I meaning to convey, when I stated "overwhelming", re my recent post above. But it's about the developing psychic sensitivity/awareness. If you have read my previous post that I automatically connected to the fears of the participants when they were about to rappel around 200ft. It was hard to breath and hard on the chest. That's just one example. So imagine if you can automatically sense (even if you do not intend) to the feelings of others, their fears, worries are all into you, even the feeling of your dogs.. and these unwanted vibes ligering in your being, that obviously most people don't prefer, how would you able cope?

So sometimes I skip my FP practice, to wisely integrate slowly.

I hope it is clear for you. :)

So you mean that you are induced to stop FP practice not for the excess of energy but for some personally undesired "side effects"

Sorry but I don't understand what this has to do with my original question... I'm talking about post #2662

thank you and sorry for my bad english...

So you mean that you are induced to stop FP practice not for the excess of energy but for some personally undesired "side effects"

Sorry but I don't understand what this has to do with my original question... I'm talking about post #2662

thank you and sorry for my bad english...

Is your question for me?