Fu_dog

Flying Phoenix Chi Kung

finally I think I have figured out how to get on here :D

Here is a little about me before I put my question out there.

I am 70 have been practicing some forms of Tai Chi and Chi Kung since 1976. Even taught some basic short and long forms in New Orleans in the '80s. for the last 15 years i have been a rancher in SE Arizona desert. So I have had little contact with other practicioners. Ranching is an everyday job for me. Now I find myself with some new help and a little more time so I am doing more tai chi chi kung.

Recently, I bought the long form FPCK disk. It was immediately so powerful I have done it 2x daily. I also do some standing and a wu dang sitting meditation.

The form has loosened every joint in my body ( my back pops during practice in subtle ways as do shoulders etc. ) The form was immediately felt during the learning phase and increased energetics continue.

So recently I bought the 5 short form disk and have started learning those. Again I am amazed at the feelings and energetics at the early stages.

My question is: how do I schedule these practices? I am doing long form at dawn and early evening, before bed actually. And i try to do Tai chi during the day sometime between chasing cows and repairing old pickup trucks.

When and how do I do the short forms? should I do all 5 in one session or should I space them out.

ok that's it for now. Thanks to Empty Water and wtm for pointing me to this thread.

peace

is not a destination it is the way

Sifu Terry,

I have sent you two emails with several questions and after three weeks I have not received a reply.

Hello Ralis,

I've been extremely busy and sometimes I miss emails or posts to the threard. I will catch up with your emails and questions asap. Did you post questions here or did you send to me via PM?

Sifu Terry

finally I think I have figured out how to get on here :D

Here is a little about me before I put my question out there.

I am 70 have been practicing some forms of Tai Chi and Chi Kung since 1976. Even taught some basic short and long forms in New Orleans in the '80s. for the last 15 years i have been a rancher in SE Arizona desert. So I have had little contact with other practicioners. Ranching is an everyday job for me. Now I find myself with some new help and a little more time so I am doing more tai chi chi kung.

Recently, I bought the long form FPCK disk. It was immediately so powerful I have done it 2x daily. I also do some standing and a wu dang sitting meditation.

The form has loosened every joint in my body ( my back pops during practice in subtle ways as do shoulders etc. ) The form was immediately felt during the learning phase and increased energetics continue.

So recently I bought the 5 short form disk and have started learning those. Again I am amazed at the feelings and energetics at the early stages.

My question is: how do I schedule these practices? I am doing long form at dawn and early evening, before bed actually. And i try to do Tai chi during the day sometime between chasing cows and repairing old pickup trucks.

When and how do I do the short forms? should I do all 5 in one session or should I space them out.

ok that's it for now. Thanks to Empty Water and wtm for pointing me to this thread.

peace

is not a destination it is the way

Hello Ridingtheox,

Thank you for sharing your personal background and the details of your experience with the Flying Phoenix Qigong practice with this discussion. I'm always gratified when someone reports the energizing and rejuvenating effects of the FP Qigong as you have. The fast-acting, tangible energy effects of the FP Qigong you described are pretty much standard and par for the course. It comes sooner or later. And it came fast and pronounced in your case because you have a solid foundation in Tai Chi and your other Qigong practice(s) developed since 1976. My experience as a teacher of this Qigong system (and others) is that the more experienced the practitioner is in Chinese internal martial arts (which includes all complete styles of kung-fu) and qigong and other forms of Chinese meditation, the more immediate and powerful the effects of the FP Qigong practice will be. The reason is with years of prior practice of Chinese holistic health arts, the practitioner is already "tuned" and "calibrated" for cultivating internal energy because mind-body re-integration and the Tai Chi kung-fu body mechanics are both that much more developed and perfected. As in your case, Riding, the body's network of energy channels, or "pipes"-- as I call them--are strengthened and polished from all your years of Tai Chi and qigong. So when you first practice the Flying Phoenix Qigong with its powerful alchemic breathing formulas (that "Fu_Dog" early on this thread referred to as "the secret sauce"), you almost instantly felt the FP Qigong healing energy and its distinct flavor.

I want to interject here for you and other readers that once you feel the initial energy effects, don't get stuck on the sensation...but go for more cultivation. Remember the the energizing effects are CUMULATIVE. Practice more--daily if you can-- and get to the next experiential threshold: the development and continuing increase of a tangible reserve of Flying Phoenix Healing Energy, which can come sometimes after just a few weeks of daily practice (--depending of course on one's lifestyle, health habits, etc.).

I started Chinese martial arts just a few years before you did--1973. When I started learning the Flying Phoenix Qigong in 1991 from my teacher, GM Doo Wai, I had 11 years of Yang Tai Chi training under Master Abraham Liu and 18 yrs of kung fu training in Southern Shaolin 5 Animals and Tao Tan Pai (Taoist Elixir Method)--the later which has an extensive and very powerful body of neigung practices which was invaluable because I was able to experientially compare and contrast the energy cultivated by the FP Qigong with that cultivated by TTP. Thus, whatever Qigong method you had practiced in the past, Riding, it has served you well since you are clearly feeling the effects of the FP Qigong now.

Also, being a rancher and living and working in the natural outdoors will continue to help you stay attuned to your health processes and internal energy status.

Again, I'm so glad to hear that you experienced the "wow" effects of this practice. When the ranch isn't in need of you, please continue to share your experiences and your thoughts on FP Qigong.

Cheers,

Terry Dunn

P.S. Answers to your question about scheduling your practice:

A) If you haven't already, first read the training guidelines found my website:

http://www.taichimania.com/essentialguidelines.html

B.) In general, as I've recommended and as others have stated very recently on this thread: for best results, start with the basic meditations of Vol.1 and 2 and gradually develop your Flying Phoenix training in the order as the material is presented per the numbered volumes of the DVD series. But since you started with Volume 4's Long Form Meditation and got instant energizing results from its practice, that tells me that your form is pretty darn good from your prior Tai Chi and qigong practice. So you can pretty much work with the Flying Phoenix DVD series anyway you care to. But as others have reported throughout this thread, and as you found out for yourself when you tried the Short Five Meditations or Basic Five Standing Med's (Volume 5 or Volume 1?--I'm not sure), for absolute beginners in Qigong, it's best to practice this Flying Phoenix system in the order that the exercises are presented in the DVD series. For I produced this series in the same order that I was taught the system: from easiest stationary meditations (Vol.1) to the more complex moving meditations as in Vol. 4.

C) When you start practice of FP Qigong, try to do at least 3 of the standing meditations in one session and/or 2 of the seated meditations (7 repetitions of each) in one session. If you have the time, practice 3 standing + 2 seated all in one session. And practice each basic standing exercise for at least 10 minutes in the beginning. I know this adds of up to 30 min. already if you do 3 exercises. But it will be worth it.

D) Also, as I stated earlier in this thread, one should slowly go through all the exercises in the first 3 DVD's and find the ones that "grab" you --the ones that have the most pronounced effects. And practice those regularly for 8 to 12 weeks for starters. Then force yourself to add one or two new FP meditations to your daily practice of what you started with. Eventually, you want to be able to do all the FP Qigong standing meditations in one long session. And be able to do any of the FP exercises automatically without looking at the DVD. That means having the breath-control sequences memorized for each one. That's part of the training and has its own benefits.

E) Yes, if you have the time, 45-60 minutes, do all 5 basic Standing Exercises in one session. That is optimal.

As stated earlier in thread: Once you establish the Basic Standing and Basic Seated meditations in your system, and you can feel the effects of "Moonbeam Splashes on Water" (vol.3) and the Long Standing Med. (vol.4), the practice of these advanced, longer moving meditations can replace the practice of the basic standing ones. But each of the basic meditations has its own unique energy effects as you will discover for yourself. I constantly teach all the FP exercises in my classes.

Again please check with my earlier postings about training schedule. I know this is a very long thread but my earlier posted advice and instructions plus this post will give you a good idea of how to schedule your practice.

Edited by zen-bear

Hi ralis. :) Have you learned and practiced any healing type qigong practices? If so, you may be able to project qi now. Ya Mu calls it "water fu," and all his students do it on the first or second day of his workshops. Everyone drinking the qi filled water during my last workshop had an 80% relief of symptoms.

Yes, it would be interesting to hear from zen-bear and his students about this simple and effective technique. :)

Just found this posting that I missed long ago, so I'll respond:

There are numerous methods to project chi even outside of Qigong methods. Energy healers who already have that skill will find that the Flying Phoenix healing energy "projects itself"--i.e., it will actually spontaneously jump off of oneself onto any person in proximity (with symptoms of lesser health) that the practitioner has sympathy or positive regard towards. Thus only when an FP student reaches this stage of cultivation and wants instruction in healing applications do I teach it. That way I'm more certain that I'm not wasting time by teaching wounded healers. I teach healing methods only to students face-to-face. Infusing water with healing energy is a relatively easy to do--especially in a group setting with a large audience. Not just qigong masters, but faith healers of every stripe are able to do powerful and remarkable healings before a large audience partly because they are drawing the shen component of Qi from their supportive (sometimes hyper-suggestible) audience. But back to the nuts-and-bolts of "water fu" and "fu's" in general. Taoist priest/GM Share K. Lew of the Tao Tan Pai system demonstrated once how to intone healing Qi into a glass of water by using a Chinese mantra. Buddhist and Taoist priests most commonly use a calligraphic talisman to create and dispense the "fu". The "fu" can be given (we call it, "zhan the fu") for any of wide variety of purposes: healing, learning, protection, fertility, exorcism,etc. In the 1970's, I was given a "fu" in the form of a beautiful calligraphic scroll of few characters by a Buddhist monk in Hong Kong who went into meditation for a day and remotely "read" my karma through my father who was his friend (I never met this monk for I did not go on this trip but remained in the States at the time). Fortunately, my path was deemed worthy of this particular "fu" that has two functions.

In western spiritual traditions, a Catholic or Protestant priest or a Jewish rabbi (if spiritually annointed) can dispense healing and spiritual blessings through a wide range of ministrations and liturgical services. Bona fide healers and spiritualists use a wide variety of tools to dispense their work. The "water fu" is but one used by Chinese energy healers.

But in terms of cultivating profound and lasting good health,the most powerful, practical, and certain means I know of is to practice the Flying Phoenix Qigong in a group. For FP practitioners reading this thread who can gather together in one place, I suggest exploring this potential. It will yield very interesting results. While FP Qigong is powerful and effective to any practitioner, all my students in Los Angeles find that group practice is more powerful, somewhat easier, and more facilitating than individual practice.

Sifu Terry Dunn

Edited by zen-bear

Quick question for Terry:

Can I skip volume 2 of the series entirely? I've been mostly practicing volume 1 for the past month because I find it much more effective. I don't feel very much from the seated exercises and furthermore, I am unable to sit comfortably cross-legged (especially not half lotus) without back support for extended periods of time.

Thanks.

Quick question for Terry:

Can I skip volume 2 of the series entirely? I've been mostly practicing volume 1 for the past month because I find it much more effective. I don't feel very much from the seated exercises and furthermore, I am unable to sit comfortably cross-legged (especially not half lotus) without back support for extended periods of time.

Thanks.

Audiohealing,

You can skip the seated meditations, but you will be missing a lot of unique cultivation that is a substantial part of the Flying Phoenix Qigong system. There are also advanced seated meditations beyond those taught in Vol. 7 (that I will eventually publish).

As stated in earlier posts, it's perfectly OK to prop back up against a wall or piece of furniture when doing the seated meditations. If you can't do half-lotus, then sit with legs crossed. If you can't sit on floor with legs crossed, then sit and chair with a back and do the seated exercises. But it sounds like you can sit crossed-legged at least. Try to work that way with back propped up by wall or furniture.

It will be worth it.

Terry Dunn

Thanks Terry. :)

Agreed. Much easier said than done. ^_^

For those that don't have a group practice, attending workshops/retreats is so important in the course of one's development. :)

I absolutely agree. Attending workshops and retreats with a high-level master--or as many masters as you can find--is important to learn the art of your interest and to understand the universe of Chinese/Taoist/Buddhist physical culture. While mastering any system requires incredible dedication and perserverance, you want to become aware of all other legitimate systems so one doesn't become chauvinistic and self-limiting. :)

• Like 1

Got my DVD's a four days ago, I must say I am enjoying the training so far. It's actually really fun and challenging to learn and I feel this will help me greatly on any future training I should take up. I must say that the energy boost I get from just 5-10 minutes of daily practice is really nice. My arms are a bit shaky but that's improving as time goes by. I'm also getting the hang of the percentage breathing, it's a real challenge but it's fun to see how accurate I can get my breathing to what is instructed. I'll keep everyone posted on any new strides I make in my training. And to Shifu Dunn, I must say the production quality of your DVD's is the best I've ever seen, thank you so much for sharing this wonderful system with the world and all the best to you on life and your legal battle, I hope I have a chance to meet you in person someday. :)

Warmest Regards,

Shen

Edited by Shen555

I spent a month or so with the standing excerises. In that same time a lot of other 'events' occured, so much so that i stopped practise whilst I let the other events occur with guidance. Beggening Flying Pheonix really amped up Clues for me and I tied a few knots in other areas that i had been trying to nut out for a long long time.

I dont expect anyone to get that, but to me at least it seemed as though TFP amplified clues. It also made me see a lot of Blue whilst my eyes were shut in Med.

Although this video is from a rip off movie company.. it seems quite fitting for Thee FP practioners!

Clair De Lune

Debussy (The composer) studied under the Rosie Cross :)

Now I have to hatch up a plan to head LA way and feel practise with others or try and arrange for Sifu Terry to visit in Oz or Taiwan...Me an optimist? :D

Got my DVD's a four days ago, I must say I am enjoying the training so far. It's actually really fun and challenging to learn and I feel this will help me greatly on any future training I should take up. I must say that the energy boost I get from just 5-10 minutes of daily practice is really nice. My arms are a bit shaky but that's improving as time goes by. I'm also getting the hang of the percentage breathing, it's a real challenge but it's fun to see how accurate I can get my breathing to what is instructed. I'll keep everyone posted on any new strides I make in my training. And to Shifu Dunn, I must say the production quality of your DVD's is the best I've ever seen, thank you so much for sharing this wonderful system with the world and all the best to you on life and your legal battle, I hope I have a chance to meet you in person someday. :)

Warmest Regards,

Shen

Hi Shen you did not say which dvd's and whether it was sitting or standing you are practicing right now and which exercises on the dvd's you are practicing. It sounds like the warm ups for Vol 2 by your description. I bought this one and am still on it and will soon get the standing vol 1. Just curious as to what exactly you are practicing and talking about- Bill.

The first of the five standing meditations so far, I'm going to learn 1 per week, thats the plan anyways... :) I ordered the first two DVD's in the series... And I already have a warm up by way of the Five Tibetan Rites of Rejuvination. ^_^

Edited by Shen555

I spent a month or so with the standing excerises. In that same time a lot of other 'events' occured, so much so that i stopped practise whilst I let the other events occur with guidance. Beggening Flying Pheonix really amped up Clues for me and I tied a few knots in other areas that i had been trying to nut out for a long long time.

I dont expect anyone to get that, but to me at least it seemed as though TFP amplified clues. It also made me see a lot of Blue whilst my eyes were shut in Med.

Although this video is from a rip off movie company.. it seems quite fitting for Thee FP practioners!

Clair De Lune

Debussy (The composer) studied under the Rosie Cross :)

Now I have to hatch up a plan to head LA way and feel practise with others or try and arrange for Sifu Terry to visit in Oz or Taiwan...Me an optimist? :D

Hi Somamech,

Thanks for update and report of your progress and breakthroughs in meditation.

Your seeing blue with eyes closed in FP meditation is a common experience in practicing this system.

As stated in much earlier posts, when practiced on a regular basis for many months or until one feels the tangible reserve of the FP energy constantly in one's body, a video camera (especially all the modern HD cameras, including the Flipcam) will record a blue-ish aura. The blue aura just comes and goes and varies in intensity when you do various FP meditations. I have video footage of GM Doo Wai when he was demonstrating and teaching me the more advanced seated meditations in the early 1990's where his aura turned the brightest and pure-flourescent-yet-dark-blue (somewhat like the color of certain sportscars' dashboard displays at night) and then the aura momentarily expanded to fill the entire space around the grandmaster, and the blue aura momentarily turned opaque so that the normal background and details of the surroundings in the room were no longer visible.

When one is well-cultivated and does healing with the FP energy, a subject will sometimes "light up" internally with the transference of the FP healing energy and see the radiant blue with his or her eyes closed.

There is yet another means of imparting the "seeing" of blue light to another person that I will disclose when you or another contributor report that you've had a certain yogic experience that will appropriately trigger my disclosure. ;)

Your report of "seeing blue" has led me to respond with this forecast/hint of how delightfully blue life can get with the Flying Phoenix Qigong. But don't take my word for it. Practice, practice, practice, and find out for yourself.

Enjoy your discoveries,

Sifu Terry Dunn

P.S. And thanks for posting this blue video of Clair de Lune. Although it's hard to get (try amazon), I want to recommend B.J. Cole's CD called "Transparent Music" that came out in the early 80's or so. He is a phenomenal English pedal-steel guitarist who does radical yet sublime versions of Debussy and Satie classics. You've never heard Gnoissienne #3 and G#5 until you've heard B.J. Cole's. Here is link to info on his CD's (they're all excellent, but "Transparent Music" is incomparable for meditation and Qigong.

http://pedalsteelmusic.com/music/bjcole.html

P.S. And thanks very much for visiting www.kungufpanda.lawsuit.com, taking the "panda poll" at the bottom and for circulating the link to all your contacts.

Edited by zen-bear

Due to my experiences practicing FP I've been compelled to set up an altar to Kuan Yin,mainly due to "visions" during seated meditation #5 (50,40,30,10).

I've experienced a certain degree of permanent healing of past injuries,what I mean is it's not dependent on if I practice or not anymore,seems I've recovered some homeostasis.

• Like 1

Warmest Regards,

Shen

Hi Shen,

Thanks for your progress report on your practice of the FP Qigong.

The deeper you go into this system, the more profound the benefits.

Don't worry about shakiness in the arms. Everyone is unique and everyone feels shakiness somewhere in their body as result of the FP Qigong. As I stated in early posts, persevere and continue the exercise for as long as possible and the shaking will subside at some point.

I hope to start teaching workshops again nationwide after this year's business obligations are completed. In the meantime, f you're ever in the Los Angeles area, you can always stop by one of my Tai Chi classes or get a private lesson.

Best Regards,

Terry Dunn

Cool, unfortunately it'll be a few years before I can travel, but when I can I'll be sure to spend a few days there getting my form tweaked if thats okay, (I live in Canada so your location is a bit off the mark, gonna have to be a special trip some day. ^_^ ) and yes your right the shakiness is starting to subside now. The extra energy is nice to have, it seems to have cured my do nothing attitude (read perpetual laziness) which is a pleasant switch I must also admit that is seems my mental acuity is slowly going up which is another nice little bonus. I'm learning the second standing meditation now and so far so good, just need to work on coordinating my arms with my legs a lil' better. ^_^

Warmest Regards,

Shen

Dear Sifu Terry,

I have three questions for you:

-How many repetitions should I perform of the meditations in Volume 3? Do I have to do the breath control sequence for every repetition? (You did the breath control twice for the 1st exercise in Volume 3 so that's why I ask).

-Same question as above except but concerning the last exercise on Volume 1.

-You answered my inquiry about this earlier but I want to update you in regards to performing the seated meditations in Volume two. I performed the entire series about 3 times again trying various sitting methods (cross-legged with back support, on a chair with no back support and on a chair with back support) and every time the results I get are very strange. I don't feel the calm and energizing effects like on Volume 1 & 3 even though I have very good form (IMO). I feel kind of low on energy, irritable and just all-around not so great when I finish a session of Volume 2. My question is: Should I keep trying? What could I be doing wrong?

Thanks!

-Ioann

Dear Sifu Terry,

I have three questions for you:

-How many repetitions should I perform of the meditations in Volume 3? Do I have to do the breath control sequence for every repetition? (You did the breath control twice for the 1st exercise in Volume 3 so that's why I ask).

-Same question as above except but concerning the last exercise on Volume 1.

-You answered my inquiry about this earlier but I want to update you in regards to performing the seated meditations in Volume two. I performed the entire series about 3 times again trying various sitting methods (cross-legged with back support, on a chair with no back support and on a chair with back support) and every time the results I get are very strange. I don't feel the calm and energizing effects like on Volume 1 & 3 even though I have very good form (IMO). I feel kind of low on energy, irritable and just all-around not so great when I finish a session of Volume 2. My question is: Should I keep trying? What could I be doing wrong?

Thanks!

-Ioann

Hi Loann,

1.) For the moving meditations in Vol. 3, you can just do one repetition of each. Or if you want more results, you can do as many reps as you want. For example, 2 weekends ago, I taught as additional warm-=up in my Saturday class about 3 rounds of Vol.3 Form, "Moonbeam Splashes on Water". Each time you do a repetition, you need to the breathing control sequence at the beginning. For these two exercises, you do NOT do the breath control sequence once and then do repetitive rounds of the form.

2.) For the standing exercises of Vol.1, follow the you practice each meditation 5 to 15 minutes each as instructed. If you want to stretch the practice of "Monk Gazing At Moon", for example, you can do that standing meditation for one hour if you have the displine. If you want to repeat each 15-minute round of practice of each exercise, for example, and do so as many times as you like and have time for. With each 15 minute round, you perform the breath-control sequence at the beginning once.

*As I stated in earlier posts, FP Qigong is perfectly safe and you can never "O.D." on its practice.*

3.) Regarding your experience with the seated meditations of Volume 2:

I'm sorry to hear that you're struggling with that practice. Of course, I cannot tell if you are doing them correctly or not unless I see you in practice.

If you are not in severe pain or discomfort when you are in the sitting position, I would suggest that you continue to work through the strange feelings and irritability--especially, if the experience happens to be a little different each time you practice.

Also, you can just leave the seated meditations alone for a while and concentrate on completing all the standing meditations. Once you have learned the standing FP exercises and can do them all with eyes closed and the breath control sequences from memory,then you can go back to the seated exercises. My strong hunch is that they will probably be much easier to do and will produce the very comfortable, positive results as you've experiencing with the standing exercises.

Good luck,

Sifu Terry

Edited by zen-bear

Thank you Sifu Terry, you've been most helpful and I will be following your advice on completing all the standing meditations in the series first.

If you have a moment, could you chime in a tangent question? What is your opinion on chakra meditations? Are they necessary or helpful? I ask because they are the only type of meditation I have experience with. For each Chakra I play a track of a recording of a crystal tibetan bowl playing the note associated with the chakra, and spend about 4 minutes just focusing and putting my awareness in that area and then moving up to the next. I also bought a couple of crystal bowls myself and was wondering how I could incorporate that into my cultivation, since I need to be moving to play the bowls while I meditate.

I've never really tried to do a silent meditation for some reason. I have always used guided audio.

Do you think chakra meditations are useful in conjunction with FP chi kung? If not then what type of meditation would be good?

I read in many places that to build up chi one must meditate and chi kung only circulates the chi you already have without building more.

Sorry for all these questions but you seem like such a knowledgeable person - your insight is very much valuable to me and I appreciate it.

All the best.

Hi Loann,

For the moving meditations in Vol. 3, you can just do one repetition of each. Or if you want more results, you can do as many reps as you want. For example, 2 weekends ago, I taught as additional warm-=up in my Saturday class about 3 rounds of Vol.3 Form, "Moonbeam Splashes on Water". Each time you do a repetition, you need to the breathing control sequence at the beginning. For these two exercises, you do NOT do the breath control sequence once and then do repetitive rounds of the form.

Regarding your experience with the seated meditations of Volume 2:

I'm sorry to hear that you're struggling with that practice. Of course, I cannot tell if you are doing them correctly or not unless I see you in practice.

If you are not in severe pain or discomfort when you are in the sitting position, I would suggest that you continue to work through the strange feelings and irritability--especially, if the experience happens to be a little different each time you practice.

Also, you can just leave the seated meditations alone for a while and concentrate on completing all the standing meditations. Once you have learned the standing FP exercises and can do them all with eyes closed and the breath control sequences from memory,then you can go back to the seated exercises. My strong hunch is that they will probably be much easier to do and will produce the very comfortable, positive results as you've experiencing with the standing exercises.

Good luck,

Sifu Terry

"2.) For the standing exercises of Vol.1, follow the you practice each meditation 5 to 15 minutes each as instructed. If you want to stretch the practice of "Monk Gazing At Moon", for example, you can do that standing meditation for one hour if you have the displine. If you want to repeat each 15-minute round of practice of each exercise, for example, and do so as many times as you like and have time for. With each 15 minute round, you perform the breath-control sequence at the beginning once. "

To clarify the above, if you want to do 1 hour STRAIGHT of monk gazing at moon you would stop and restart with the breath control sequence every fifteen minutes/ 4 times (instead of an uninterrupted hour)?

Sifu Terry,

Could you explain the significance of the Tai Chi ruler and how it differs from the FP?

Thanks

Sifu Terry,

It's been about 7 months since I come across FPCK and I have been practicing the long form for 5 months, almost twice everyday.

It helped me immensely, so I am very grateful and would like to thank you for presenting the system which is very straightforward and easy to start with, and with returns in a very short time.

The long form I am doing is evolving and changing day by day as you previously mentioned in this topic and I have no way to tell whether I am going in the right direction other than my instincts, and what I read in this topic.

So far I do feel a sweet two dimentional light whitish enegy laterally expanding from my opened hands, not perpendicular, but parallel to my palms, and notice a very cool dark blue only when I come to the front bending parts of the form, but I do not mind the colors as I am feeling the energy, and I am alight throughout the whole form.

When I completely let go and do the form, it has some discrepancies with what I read here and I think that I have to intervene my body doing the form:

(I do the opening and closing part exactly like you taught. )

1)When I don't mind the breath, and let it go by itself, almost every movement is associated automatically with a single exhale/ inhale, and it still takes like 20 minutes to finish the form, so I guess my breathing is still slow and relaxed , and I feel better when I do it in this way, it also switches to reverse breathing.

2) Sometimes I feel really very relaxed, and at these times my body parts start doing spontaneous shakings and rotations, like my hips turning clockwise/ counterclockwise, and my palms also rotating according to the move, especially at the "Monk Gazing at Moon"part in the form, my whole body start swaying and my palms try to rotate the space between my palms so much that I tend forget the rest of the form and get stuck in this very good feeling :)

Is it OK to go like this for a while until they evolve into some other thing, or should I intervene and restrict these spontaneous movements as well as "correcting" my breathing pattern.

Thank you very much,

Cihan

Sifu Terry,

Could you explain the significance of the Tai Chi ruler and how it differs from the FP?

Thanks

hello Ralis,

I think I explained in a much earlier post that the Tai Chi Ruler is a complete system of Qigong that utilizes a wooden ruler in the symmetrial shape and rounded at the ends to fit in the palms. The movements of the TC Ruler system are all circular and are related to Tai Chi movements. The Flying Phoenix Qigong uses no implements and has a totally different breathing method than Tai Chi Ruler.

The two systems have different origins and are part of totally different traditions: The TC Ruler is attributed to Chen Tuan or Chen Xi Yi who resided at Wudangshan and then later at Huashan and who lived during the Sung dynasty. Chen Xi Yi is also the creator of Liu He Ba Fa, Six Harmonies & Eight Methods, one of my favorite systems. Flying Phoenix and the rest of the White Tiger Kung Fu system was created by Feng Tao Teh of Emei Shan, who I believe lived several centuries after Chen Tuan passed.

Sifu Terry Dunn

• Like 3

"2.) For the standing exercises of Vol.1, follow the you practice each meditation 5 to 15 minutes each as instructed. If you want to stretch the practice of "Monk Gazing At Moon", for example, you can do that standing meditation for one hour if you have the displine. If you want to repeat each 15-minute round of practice of each exercise, for example, and do so as many times as you like and have time for. With each 15 minute round, you perform the breath-control sequence at the beginning once. "

To clarify the above, if you want to do 1 hour STRAIGHT of monk gazing at moon you would stop and restart with the breath control sequence every fifteen minutes/ 4 times (instead of an uninterrupted hour)?

Hello Growant,

It's up to you. And it depends on your meditative focus and degree of cultivation. Either way is fine. You can do Monk Gazing At Moon for one hour straight by doing the breath-control sequence once at the start. Or you can break it up into 10 or 15 minute sessions, doing the breathing sequence at the start of each segment (and ending each segment with 3 deep breathes, of course).

If you stand MGAM for 1 hour, make sure your form is correct.

I normally teach students to do long standings (of 1 hour or so) of the FP exercises every once in a while. 15 to 30 minutes for each of the stationary standing meditations on a daily basis is adequate for good cultivation. I recommend practicing the FP system in its entirety as much as you can, combining the stationary meditations with the moving meditations. Keep it all in balance.

Enjoy,

Sifu Terry Dunn

Edited by zen-bear

Sifu Terry,

It's been about 7 months since I come across FPCK and I have been practicing the long form for 5 months, almost twice everyday.

It helped me immensely, so I am very grateful and would like to thank you for presenting the system which is very straightforward and easy to start with, and with returns in a very short time.

The long form I am doing is evolving and changing day by day as you previously mentioned in this topic and I have no way to tell whether I am going in the right direction other than my instincts, and what I read in this topic.

So far I do feel a sweet two dimentional light whitish enegy laterally expanding from my opened hands, not perpendicular, but parallel to my palms, and notice a very cool dark blue only when I come to the front bending parts of the form, but I do not mind the colors as I am feeling the energy, and I am alight throughout the whole form.

When I completely let go and do the form, it has some discrepancies with what I read here and I think that I have to intervene my body doing the form:

(I do the opening and closing part exactly like you taught. )

1)When I don't mind the breath, and let it go by itself, almost every movement is associated automatically with a single exhale/ inhale, and it still takes like 20 minutes to finish the form, so I guess my breathing is still slow and relaxed , and I feel better when I do it in this way, it also switches to reverse breathing.

2) Sometimes I feel really very relaxed, and at these times my body parts start doing spontaneous shakings and rotations, like my hips turning clockwise/ counterclockwise, and my palms also rotating according to the move, especially at the "Monk Gazing at Moon"part in the form, my whole body start swaying and my palms try to rotate the space between my palms so much that I tend forget the rest of the form and get stuck in this very good feeling :)

Is it OK to go like this for a while until they evolve into some other thing, or should I intervene and restrict these spontaneous movements as well as "correcting" my breathing pattern.

Thank you very much,

Cihan

Hello Cihan,

Thanks for your post and sharing your experience with the Flying Phoenix Long Meditation. If you have pretty good form from Tai Chi or other internal practice, you can feel instant energizing effects from the FP Qigong. And many people with no experience whatsoever, if they happen to "hit" the basics of FP form correctly, also get fast results.

Answers:

(1) Once you do the breath-control sequence at the start, you just breath naturally as you do the Long Meditation. As long as your breathing is relaxed, let it go however it wants to go. If it spontaneously switches to reverse breathing, great. Just don't consciously force any particular way of breathing.

(2) Vibrating limbs and rotating body mass -- are common, almost universal effects of FP practice.

If you want to enjoy the spontaneous movements that arise from practicing this form, you can take 3 breathes to end the practice and then just enjoy the energized state. Don't worry the energy and spiralling effects won't go away instantly.

But the best thing to do as far as proper training is concerned is to work through the spontaneous spirally and rotating movements. You want to internalize all the vibratory effects--including wide and sometimes wild rotations of waist and upper body--and continue with the movements. The more you practice the form in its entirety and concentrate on keeping to the form and development greater relaxation in your performance of the form, the more you will internalize the energy of the vibratory state. Ultimately, the cultivation of the FP energy you will not cause your physical body to visibly shake as much. The circulation of the FP energy causes the body to spontaneously vibrate, shake and rotate from knees and waist upward through the rest of the body if (A) there is a relative degree of tension in the body and (B ) also if there is a lot of neuro-muscular memory developed from the practice of other martial arts. (When I was learning the FP system and other internal martial systems from GM Doo Wai in the early 90's, most of the students had substantial martial arts backgrounds. That led to the frequent experience of each new meditation taking us off on a carnival ride--intense vibrations, uncontrollable "bouncing", and wide rotations of the body mass that sent us reeling and bouncing across the room. But with more practice, the involuntary movements subsided. The same is true for the FP system, although the initial involuntary movements and gyrations that it causes are not as intense or dramatic as other internal exercises in the White Tiger family.)

Glad to hear your're enjoying the Long Meditation. Doing it twice a day is excellent. Then whenever you go back and try the basic standing meditations (e.g., in Vol. 1) you will feel that the effects of these exercises will have become more profound.

Best,

Sifu Terry Dunn

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 1

Hello Cihan,

Thanks for your post and sharing your experience with the Flying Phoenix Long Meditation. If you have pretty good form from Tai Chi or other internal practice, you can feel instant energizing effects from the FP Qigong. And many people with no experience whatsoever, if they happen to "hit" the basics of FP form correctly, also get fast results.

Answers:

(1) Once you do the breath-control sequence at the start, you just breath naturally as you do the Long Meditation. As long as your breathing is relaxed, let it go however it wants to go. If it spontaneously switches to reverse breathing, great. Just don't consciously force any particular way of breathing.

(2) Vibrating limbs and rotating body mass -- are common, almost universal effects of FP practice.

If you want to enjoy the spontaneous movements that arise from practicing this form, you can take 3 breathes to end the practice and then just enjoy the energized state. Don't worry the energy and spiralling effects won't go away instantly.

But the best thing to do as far as proper training is concerned is to work through the spontaneous spirally and rotating movements. You want to internalize all the vibratory effects--including wide and sometimes wild rotations of waist and upper body--and continue with the movements. The more you practice the form in its entirety and concentrate on keeping to the form and development greater relaxation in your performance of the form, the more you will internalize the energy of the vibratory state. Ultimately, the cultivation of the FP energy you will not cause your physical body to visibly shake as much. The circulation of the FP energy causes the body to spontaneously vibrate, shake and rotate from knees and waist upward through the rest of the body if (A) there is a relative degree of tension in the body and (B ) also if there is a lot of neuro-muscular memory developed from the practice of other martial arts. (When I was learning the FP system and other internal martial systems from GM Doo Wai in the early 90's, most of the students had substantial martial arts backgrounds. That led to the frequent experience of each new meditation taking us off on a carnival ride--intense vibrations, uncontrollable "bouncing", and wide rotations of the body mass that sent us reeling and bouncing across the room. But with more practice, the involuntary movements subsided. The same is true for the FP system, although the initial involuntary movements and gyrations that it causes are not as intense or dramatic as other internal exercises in the White Tiger family.)

Glad to hear your're enjoying the Long Meditation. Doing it twice a day is excellent. Then whenever you go back and try the basic standing meditations (e.g., in Vol. 1) you will feel that the effects of these exercises will have become more profound.

Best,

Sifu Terry Dunn

Dear Sifu Terry,

Thank you very much for your time and the clarification. It's good to know that I have not diverted much, and will proceed exactly like you suggest, with more confidence.

Kind Regards,

Cihan