Fu_dog

Flying Phoenix Chi Kung

Hi Sifu Terry -

I am at the point where I have gone through all the available FP DVD's and have learned all mediations (except I am still fussing with learning the 90 second exercises).

To my mind, I am at a very basic level of learning. Next step for me is to make my practice a meaningful part of my life going forward, and to optimize the benefits of Flying Phoenix as part of my lifestyle.

So, a question for you: How often do you practice FP? Approximately how many days per week, and how long do you practice each session? I am considering your practice habits to be a good benchmark, so thanks for your time in responding.

All the best,

Fu_dog

Hi Somamech,

Thanks for update and report of your progress and breakthroughs in meditation.

Your seeing blue with eyes closed in FP meditation is a common experience in practicing this system.

As stated in much earlier posts, when practiced on a regular basis for many months or until one feels the tangible reserve of the FP energy constantly in one's body, a video camera (especially all the modern HD cameras, including the Flipcam) will record a blue-ish aura. The blue aura just comes and goes and varies in intensity when you do various FP meditations. I have video footage of GM Doo Wai when he was demonstrating and teaching me the more advanced seated meditations in the early 1990's where his aura turned the brightest and pure-flourescent-yet-dark-blue (somewhat like the color of certain sportscars' dashboard displays at night) and then the aura momentarily expanded to fill the entire space around the grandmaster, and the blue aura momentarily turned opaque so that the normal background and details of the surroundings in the room were no longer visible.

When one is well-cultivated and does healing with the FP energy, a subject will sometimes "light up" internally with the transference of the FP healing energy and see the radiant blue with his or her eyes closed.

There is yet another means of imparting the "seeing" of blue light to another person that I will disclose when you or another contributor report that you've had a certain yogic experience that will appropriately trigger my disclosure. ;)

Your report of "seeing blue" has led me to respond with this forecast/hint of how delightfully blue life can get with the Flying Phoenix Qigong. But don't take my word for it. Practice, practice, practice, and find out for yourself.

Enjoy your discoveries,

Sifu Terry Dunn

P.S. And thanks for posting this blue video of Clair de Lune. Although it's hard to get (try amazon), I want to recommend B.J. Cole's CD called "Transparent Music" that came out in the early 80's or so. He is a phenomenal English pedal-steel guitarist who does radical yet sublime versions of Debussy and Satie classics. You've never heard Gnoissienne #3 and G#5 until you've heard B.J. Cole's. Here is link to info on his CD's (they're all excellent, but "Transparent Music" is incomparable for meditation and Qigong.

http://pedalsteelmusic.com/music/bjcole.html

P.S. And thanks very much for visiting www.kungufpanda.lawsuit.com, taking the "panda poll" at the bottom and for circulating the link to all your contacts.

Dear Sifu Terry,

I have a question about the breath control sequences done before the FPCK meditations :

I am doing them very relaxed and with deep breaths, no retaining or pausing. On the inhales, come a natural sucking feeling but I am not contracting any body part, just feeling something compressing in my lower dan tien. I realized that on the exhales, I have the option of radiating the energy out, or just relax and hold it inside. Which option is correct to start the meditations with, or am I on a very wrong track?

Thank you very much as usual for your kind support.

Cihan

Hi again Terry :)

Is it safe to jump to volume 4 without having mastered volume 2? I have been doing volume 1 and 3 for nearly 4 months now. Do I have enough experience to start volume 4?

Also, I began the yang long form tai chi DVD and find it incredibly overwhelming to learn. Is it possible to learn entirely by watching the DVD and how much time should I expect to devote to learning the entire 108 forms? Should I combine it with my chi kung practice or are they interchangeable?

Thannks!

• Like 1

Hi Audiohealing,

Answers to your questions below in bold italic:

Hi again Terry :)

Is it safe to jump to volume 4 without having mastered volume 2? I have been doing volume 1 and 3 for nearly 4 months now. Do I have enough experience to start volume 4?

Yes, you can do just do all the standing FP meditations and not do the seated, or vice versa. but it's best to do both. The FP Qigong system is so safe, self-regulating and benign that you can't really mess it up and damage yourself unless one is truly bent and touched in the head.:wacko:

Also, I began the yang long form tai chi DVD and find it incredibly overwhelming to learn. Is it possible to learn entirely by watching the DVD and how much time should I expect to devote to learning the entire 108 forms? Should I combine it with my chi kung practice or are they interchangeable?

Answer to 1st question: Try to find a good Tai Chi master from whom you can learn the 108 or any other classical form. But if you can't find a teacher, work with the DVD at a slow comfortable pace. How long it takes to learn the Long Form depends on your martial arts background, natural ability, and how hard you practice. Then there's a huge difference between learning the external physical movements vs. mastering the internal principles. To learn the physical movements/choreography of the Long Form takes anywhere from 4 mos. to 2 years for some. To develop the internal principles enough derive health benefits from the Form each time you practice it takes an absolute minimum of 3 years under superior instruction. To master the internal principles of Tai Chi Chuan so that it becomes an effective martial art takes an absolute minimum 10 years. And to fully develop the Tai Chi Kung Fu,as my first teacher called it, would say 20-30 years under superior instruction.

Answer to final question: No. In general, keep your Tai Chi practice separate from the Flying Phoenix Chi Kung practice. They are very different internal arts. Do not interchange them or mix their practice in the same session if you are a beginning or intermediate student.

Thannks!

you're welcome.

Terry Dunn

Edited by zen-bear

Dear Terry,

when doing the FP I feel as if a energy is turn into a other energy and open space.

I feel not tired but I feel very sleepy from it, I also need additional sleeping hours.

Is there something to eat or do to replenish energy?

Q

Dear Terry,

when doing the FP I feel as if a energy is turn into a other energy and open space.

I feel not tired but I feel very sleepy from it, I also need additional sleeping hours.

Is there something to eat or do to replenish energy?

Q

Hello Q,

Feeling "sleepy but not tired" from Flying Phoenix practice is not a function of the Qigong...but is more a function of your overall energy level--especially since you say you need additional sleeping hours. What you've described is also SOLID PROOF of the effective ness of the FP Qigong: for if you need sleep but are not getting enough sleep, and you do the FP qigong, its energizing effects will make you feel NOT TIRED--i.e., remove the neurological feeling of fatigue--but your body will still crave sleep.

So first advice, Q, GO TO SLEEP!!! :closedeyes: :closedeyes: :closedeyes:

As I posted much earlier on this thread, Flying Phoenix Qigong does NOT replace or replenish sleep. There are other systems of Chi Kung and Nei Gung that will replace sleep to a certain extent. FOR FP QIGONG TO IMPART OPTIMUM RESULTS AND BENEFITS, PRACTIONERS MUST GET ENOUGH SLEEP AND HAVE A REASONABLY HEALTHY DAILY ROUTINE THAT BALANCES WORK,SLEEP, MEALS,FAMILY LIFE, EXERCISE, RECREATION, ETC.

No, there is nothing required to ingest in terms of food to make the Flying Phoenix Qigong work at its best.

Also, I do not give dietary advice related to the FP Qigong on this thread, because what knowledge there is relating to it and other internal arts of the White Tiger system, I do not publish in any form, but teach privately to my students.

Regards,

Terry Dunn

Edited by zen-bear

Hello Sifu Terry,

I ended up sneezing right after completing the percentage breathing for one of the flash meditations - I figured I blew it (no pun intended) for that exercise, so I just did my 3 closing breaths to exit - I will rest a few minutes and resume the exercise again - Is this the correct way to go when there is a momentary interruption in any exercise?

Thanks and I hope all is well,

Rene'

Hello Sifu Terry,

I ended up sneezing right after completing the percentage breathing for one of the flash meditations - I figured I blew it (no pun intended) for that exercise, so I just did my 3 closing breaths to exit - I will rest a few minutes and resume the exercise again - Is this the correct way to go when there is a momentary interruption in any exercise?

Thanks and I hope all is well,

Rene'

Hi Rene,

Sorry I took a few days to answer...I just surfaced momentarily from my court battle. (I'm in the process of appealing to the higher court in Calif. an unfavorable ruling we got in the Kung Fu Panda case due to the judge keeping some of my evidence out of the case but more importantly refusing to give to the jury appropriate, on-point Calif. caselaw that we believe would have guided the jury to a different verdict. This is a matter of justice delayed--but not denied.)

Yes, what you did after the interruption of your breathing sequence is exactly the best thing to do. Take three deep breathes to exit and then start again a couple of minutes later. Once you practice the FPQ system enough, you will be able to gauge (and know instinctively by "feel") how much a sneeze or an external distraction or event interrupts the energy-cultivation process. But in the beginning, it's best to abide by the safety rule of counting oneself out of the mediation with three deep breathes and starting over should you ever do the breathing sequence incorrectly or do the movements incorrectly in any of FP the meditations.

Carry on!

Sifu Terry

• Like 1

Hi Rene,

Sorry I took a few days to answer...I just surfaced momentarily from my court battle. (I'm in the process of appealing to the higher court in Calif. an unfavorable ruling we got in the Kung Fu Panda case due to the judge keeping some of my evidence out of the case but more importantly refusing to give to the jury appropriate, on-point Calif. caselaw that we believe would have guided the jury to a different verdict. This is a matter of justice delayed--but not denied.)

Yes, what you did after the interruption of your breathing sequence is exactly the best thing to do. Take three deep breathes to exit and then start again a couple of minutes later. Once you practice the FPQ system enough, you will be able to gauge (and know instinctively by "feel") how much a sneeze or an external distraction or event interrupts the energy-cultivation process. But in the beginning, it's best to abide by the safety rule of counting oneself out of the mediation with three deep breathes and starting over should you ever do the breathing sequence incorrectly or do the movements incorrectly in any of FP the meditations.

Carry on!

Sifu Terry

Hello Sifu Terry,

Many thanks for the advice and I wish you all the best in your court case.

Rene'

Hi there again,

I was experimenting with one of the FB breathing patterns.

I used from GM Doo Wai the "Ginger Breath" from Youtube aka "Grandmaster Doo Wai Healing Qigong sitting Meditation"

Breathing pattern is 50 40 30 20 10 then 5 minute meditation with a hand seal eating a little bit ginger per day for 108 days.

Well, result are this from me. The tree breath before are to establish a "calm,equal,long and soft" Breathing pattern.

When we change the Position (Sitting, Walking, Lying,Standing or complex movement) the breathing pattern changes and affect the exercise negativ because there is a need of time to get the new status quo of the breathing.

The three breath before prevents that one take a wrong pattern because of misjudging the 100%.

Also I could perceive that it is good to breath normal for some time before making the three breath so that there is a natural calm stead breath and a settling the mind.(Life is busy and people tend to rush and so even 1 minute is too much too bear). The breath between are for resting the respiratory system as the unsual breathing of letting x% out is against the own natural rhythm and tense ones body.

Most interesting is the last breath as it marked the breathing pattern. I will have 100 in and 10 out for the rest of the meditation even when it says "normal breathing" (not think of the breath and not controlling it, just a flowing breath). The Lower Dantien reacts very fast with vibration after some exercise time.

To explain it then one we need to watch a Qigong called Guolin Walking.

The feature are : Xi Xi Hu breathing. 2 Breath in 1 Breath out. Explaination I remember was

that one taking twice as much energy than letting it out. (50%more)

From this standpoint the explaination of 100% in and 10% out is 90% more energy.

Other point is the safety inbuild to not go directly to 10% but step for step, because like Bruce Kumar Frantzis told in his Book "Opening the Energygates of your body" :",it is not dificult to develop plenty of energy.The difficulty lies in creating a system strong enough to use this current rather than damging it."

Even creating the system that is strong enough, the weakness lies in the "changes" in a system.

If one directly do two "Percentage Exhale" without a breath between that one build a tension and hit with the second Exhale on tension. The breath between is to relax the build up tension so that the next can flow without hitting something.

The three breath after is to normalize the breath as one do not want to breath the last breath even while doing other things. After the 3 three breath one still need to "breath normal" and relax and making slow movements and

do some walking normalize for the daily live.Why slow? Sudden changes disrupt the breathing, it is uncomfortable as I experience.

The Question I still need to find out is the why there is so different breathing patterns

and the question what if one use a different one for the same exercise.

Also if one of the Percentage Exhale has a resonance to a specific movement in the exercise.

For this I need to buy Terry Dunn DVD in the future.

Greetings

Q

Q,

I've surfaced from long period of work and am slowly reviewing past posts of contributors to see if there are any questions or comments that I've left unanswered. My shen led me to find your posting out of the haystack and i have these comments with regards to your "experimenting" with Flying Phoenix Qigong training: In the words of the Nike ads: JUST DO IT.

--but for best results and for your safety, DO IT without your preconceived ideas about Qigong gotten from other Qigong systems or so-called "authorities" on the subject. FLYING PHOENIX QIGONG IS AUTHENTIC, COMPLETE, AND SELF-EXPLANATORY ANCIENT SYSTEM OF TAOIST ALCHEMIC YOGA AND NEEDS NO ONE'S IDLE SPECULATION AND BLIND GUESSWORK ABOUT "OPENING ENERGY GATES" OF THE BODY.

I hope by now that you've practiced to at least Volume One of the Flying Phoenix--Chi Kung For Health series, and have experienced how each exercise with its unique breath-control sequence works to ignite and cultivate a specific tangible energy flow within the body. If you've done the Monk Holds Pearl Meditation (50 40 30 20 10) with ginger for 108 days that you described, you have a good foundation going into the Vol. One exercises.

Q, you wrote:

Most interesting is the last breath as it marked the breathing pattern. I will have 100 in and 10 out for the rest of the meditation even when it says "normal breathing" (not think of the breath and not controlling it, just a flowing breath). The Lower Dantien reacts very fast with vibration after some exercise time.

To explain it then one we need to watch a Qigong called Guolin Walking.

The feature are : Xi Xi Hu breathing. 2 Breath in 1 Breath out. Explaination I remember was

that one taking twice as much energy than letting it out. (50%more)

From this standpoint the explaination of 100% in and 10% out is 90% more energy.

Everyone responds differently to the FPQ exercises. Your response to the exercise (lower tan tien "reacts very fast with vibration") is unique to you.

I don't know where you got the 100%, 10% breathing method, but it's inconceivable that anyone can naturally and continuously breathe 100% in and 10% out--while walking, doing kung-fu, or being still. Maybe you described it inaccurately, but what you've described is a recipe for life permanently out of balance. At any rate, it has no relevance to the practice of Flying Phoenix Meditations...and you need to simply empty your cup a bit if you are to gain anything from this practice. (There is a White Tiger Meditation with breathing pattern 90% 20%, but its purpose is not relevant to this discussion thread.)

Before you "experiment" with any of the FPQ Meditations, I think it makes sense to just do them first exactly as prescribed. Once you have truly mastered them, you can experiment with them all you want--and be at far less risk. As I have stated throughout this discussion thread, I strongly warn all practitioners against changing the breath-control sequences or switching them between the various exercises. If you choose to do so, you do it at your own risk.

Good Luck,

Sifu Terry Dunn

Edited by zen-bear

Hello. This thread brought me to the Tao Bums site. I've been practicing the first two Flying Pheonix Chi Kung videos (standing and sitting) and this thread was a great help with that (and also a very interesting read!).

I've been practicing the standing set for almost eight months now, off and on. The sitting set not as long--maybe three or four months. I've had some interesting experiences with both, but the most amazing (to me) was the experience I had the VERY FIRST TIME I tried the standing exercises.

While doing the Monk Holding Peach posture, I felt an involuntary rigidity creep up my right leg, into my right arm, and out/through the little finger on my right hand. It felt like that line in my body (meridian?) was plugged into an electrical outlet. At the time, I had never experienced anything like this and it startled me out of the posture. It freaked me out enough that I was hesitant to continue, but also very curious, so I did continue but didn't have any more *shocking* experiences at that time.

• Like 1

Welcome back! This post of my is about 1 Years old, many things happend in the while.

Well after starting doing FB for regular daily periode I did this as much possible without out preconceived ideas. I may talk alot about other systems, since I see differences and similar things, well it keeps myself having interest to see what is more in a system and expanding my awareness.

I have practised sitting FB for three month 10mins -1hour from Mai after listening to Michael Lomax to not do other Qigong. I have started the warmup from the standing

but decide to do other things which caught my interest. I did the Monk hold pearl without ginger. It is an exercise I do about a month, before startign the other exercises.

My fault to be described it inaccurately. I try again: Based on the Guo Lin Walking theory of energy intake, they breath 2 times in and 1 time in.

The idea is to get more energy in than out.

So I from my perception of that time I see that the last breath of the Ginger Breath

is 10% out which on can say is 90% hold back.

At that time I have overseen a thing : After the 10% out one still had to refill

the lungs and then do a normal breath.

Well so far I had done this arcording the DVD.

Following thing I perceive is that the movements with the breathing sequence has

a deeper effect to open up location in the body, than without. A thing I also perceive is that I have to spend as long on an exercise until it feels free and comfortable. So the Warm ups are very important to do them first and "make them yours" before starting the Monk Serves Vine.

I perceived, if not having the corresponding parts "make them yours" which occur in Monk Serves vine then it feels very uncomfortable for me to do them. The standing meditations as I said above, I did the warmups. I find that even without breathing sequence it makes me feel that there is more pressure on the system. It also took me longer to open the specific location.

Else I have nothing to say, since I have not anything to add and the FB is on Hiatus.

Q

Edit:

P.S I have no idea why my answers are bold even if not put them bold, other part again not bold

Hi Q,

Thanks for explaining the statements you made in your earlier email. I just wanted to make sure that you got off to a "clean" exploration FP Qigong system without superimposing the theories associated with other Qigong systems or philosophies of other teachers. Once you have practiced the Flying Phoenix meditations regularly and long enough, and have "made them yours", you will have both the instincts and facility to penetrate and understand other Qigong methods. Then you can experiment to your heart's content. As I've explained earlier on in this discussion thread, I recommend that practitioners do not start learning another Qigong system while they are learning the FPQ system, but if one is already has an established daily practice of a different qigong system, then adding on the FPQ practice is fine.

Cheers,

Terry Dunn

Hello. This thread brought me to the Tao Bums site. I've been practicing the first two Flying Pheonix Chi Kung videos (standing and sitting) and this thread was a great help with that (and also a very interesting read!).

I've been practicing the standing set for almost eight months now, off and on. The sitting set not as long--maybe three or four months. I've had some interesting experiences with both, but the most amazing (to me) was the experience I had the VERY FIRST TIME I tried the standing exercises.

While doing the Monk Holding Peach posture, I felt an involuntary rigidity creep up my right leg, into my right arm, and out/through the little finger on my right hand. It felt like that line in my body (meridian?) was plugged into an electrical outlet. At the time, I had never experienced anything like this and it startled me out of the posture. It freaked me out enough that I was hesitant to continue, but also very curious, so I did continue but didn't have any more *shocking* experiences at that time.

Hi Green Tiger,

Welcome to the discussion of Flying Phoenix Qigong. Thanks for contributing an account of your first experience with the 5 Basic Standing Meditations. I'm glad to hear that you experienced what many--if not most--practitioners have experienced from the very outset of practicing FP Qigong: immediate, tangible, energizing and rejuvenating effects.

That line of energy that felt like electrical current that crept up your right leg, torso, and right arm to the little finger of the right hand, that's a typical "firing" or discharge of energy in your nervous system that "Monk Holding Peach" facilitates that's specific to your physiology. So you now understand why only th thumbs and first 3 fingers of each hand are touching, right? And that the little fingers are not touching, right? You get an "A" grade on that lesson.

Different people will feel different specific pathways of energization with each FP exercise. When the Flying Phoenix energy "comes on" for the first time, unless one has developed the deepest capacity for relaxation from mastering Tai Chi, another qigong system, or meditation, the body's musculature surrounding the particular energy pathway that gets charged will naturally flex or tighten. There are some Flying Phoenix meditations and other martial Qigong methods within the White Tiger (Bok Fu Pai) system that in the beginning cause the entire body to go rigid, similar to a state of catatonia--except that one is perfectly alert with heightened awareness (as opposed to being in a stupor). But as you discovered through continued practice, that muscular tensing soon subsides and normally doesn't occur again. If it does, it won't be to the same intensity.

(And as i think I had mentioned in a much earlier posting, there are some BFP meditations that will cause one's muscle memory to instantly activate, causing wild involuntary movements that will send one gyrating with arms flailing,bouncing across the floor and into walls. The more "external" martial arts training and conditioning one has, the wilder and more uncontrollably one gyrates flails around. It's quite a sight to behold and something I always look forward to teaching to my advanced students. :lol: )

Yes, that neurological discharge is a startling experience because one is partially or completely immobilized and if that energized state doesn't subside but continues for a while, one naturally can't help but wonder and worry about encountering predators in this state). That's the thought process that I went through when I experienced a similar state while doing Tai Chi Chuan in the late 80's. I suddenly felt like I had been struck by a bolt of lightening (but the bolt from the ground up), I could feel every cell vibrating as my body went rigid, and i couldn't control basic movements--like taking a step--without the utmost of effort and Will. But I stayed in that state, tried to relax, and got used to it, slowly started doing Tai Chi form in that state, and came to enjoy it immensely. Afterwards, I thought of it was riotous fun.

At any rate, now you understand the basic practice guidelines published with the DVD advising that one practice the FP Qigong a safe, quiet, secluded environment totally free from all possible distractions.

Please continue to report in whenever you experience something interesting or out of the norm. I'm sure you'll enjoy your continuing practice of Flying Phoenix Celestial Healing Chi Meditations. The system lives up to its Chinese name, doesn't it?

Best,

Sifu Terry Dunn

Edited by zen-bear

Hi Terry,

I have been practicing series number 4 of your flying phoenix chi kung system for about a week now and it's my favorite so far!

I have a question.. I think it's in part 3 or 4 of the choreography... you specify in the practice section that you need to turn left and right (leading with the arm raised with palm facing you) a total of 5 times before switching to the palm up/palm down position. However, in the final section where you perform the entire choreography you go left and right a total of 7 times instead of 5. Is this an error or does it not matter?

Thanks!

Terry,

I've been doing monk holds pearl when I have some freetime and as a meditation, because it seems to charge me up and give awareness and insight.

Like I'll sit in a chair and instead of doing vipassana or the like, I'll do monk holds pearl for an hour.

What I heard from a master is I have weak kidney chi and it seems like this helps with that a lot.

Is this alright to do just this meditation?

I'm asking because it almost over charges me sometimes... like I've got tons of sexual energy and can get angry really quickly.

Thanks,

John

Been awhile since I logged in here and saw Green Tigers post!

Green Tiger, in my own understanding as someone in the same shoes as you; ie: at beginner level... I had a similar effect with holding the Peach, but in my case my right hand side little finger felt numb first time round with that meditation.

The best way I described the feeling to friends is that it felt like the numb feeling after a pins and needles episode but it did not feel like at all. (makes little sense I know but hey explaining energy is hard)

After more practise is when the blue appeared. It didn't take too much more practise that I could walk around work breathing in the correct manner (roof on tongue and mindset) that the feeling of my hands took on an energy feeling rather than the flesh.

Its rather hard to describe a bonafide practise where you literally become an antenna to all those force's that have been described since day dot...yet science still has problems explaining any of them :blink::D

Bending the Bows to me I believe is the key for a beginner :D

---

Kinda OT!...Sifu Terry I found a Phoenix Spirit in the Sky :D

pictur11.jpg

Edited by Somamech

Terry,

I've been doing monk holds pearl when I have some freetime and as a meditation, because it seems to charge me up and give awareness and insight.

Like I'll sit in a chair and instead of doing vipassana or the like, I'll do monk holds pearl for an hour.

What I heard from a master is I have weak kidney chi and it seems like this helps with that a lot.

Is this alright to do just this meditation?

I'm asking because it almost over charges me sometimes... like I've got tons of sexual energy and can get angry really quickly.

Thanks,

John

Hello JohnC,

Yes, it's quite alright to just do Monk Holding Pearl while seated in any position. And if you're doing an hour of meditation, that is fine and terrific. Suggestion: if you want to strengthen the effects of MHP, you can count yourself out of the meditation with 3 deep breathes after 30 minutes of meditation and do another breath control sequence (50 40 30 20 10) to finish the second half of the hour--You can even stop and restart/renew the meditation at 15 minute intervals--i.e. 4 times within the span of an hour. Or continue doing what you're presently doing: one breath control sequence and sit for 60 minutes. This is fine practice. But whenever you're able, add the 3 warm-up meditations at the start of Volume 2. They are very basic, very gentle and will create greater circulation of the FP Healing energy once you've cultivated a reserve through your 60-minute sessions of Monk Holding Pearl.

Regarding the health of your kidneys: I would suggest also getting a second opinion from a western physician/renal specialist. It's always good to get more than one type of diagnosis.

Best,

Sifu Terry

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 2

I also have a question Terry,

When one has trained all the avaible sets and made them yours and one want to

cultivate the FP Chi, is it enough to do only make one exercise one favour or is it

then one choose a strong one like the 90 sek Meditation on?

I also, like JohnC, favour the Monk holding Pearl as I like simple things even I am im interested in complicate things. Do you know what length would be good for the meditation?

Q

Hello Q,

First of all, if you've practiced all the available Flying Phoenix exercises, and have "made them yours"--i.e., can do each one from memory including the correct breathing formula, you have already cultivated the FP healing energy to a good extent. To cultivate the FP energy so that one can effectively heal others with it requires concentrating your practice on the advanced Meditations in Volume 3 through 7.

If you want to practice FP Qigong just enough to maintain good health and strong immunity then you can focus you training on just a couple of the exercises that have the most pronounced energizing effects on you. As I've advised earlier on in the discussion, almost practitioner find a particular FP Meditation or two or more that really has/have strong, marked effects in increasing their energy levels. One goal of training is to practice all the basic FP exercises in series enough so that you discover the one or ones that are most potent, energizing and truly rejuvenating for you. Again, different people find different FP Med's to be more effective for them.

If you want to go beyond health maintenance and cultivate the superabundance of FP nergy that will enable one to spontaneously heal others, that requires longer, more regular and more focussed practice of the intermediate and advanced FP MEditations--including the advanced seated Monk Serves Wine Meditations. I would also say that absolutely essential to attain this basic level of healing ability is to master the practice the Long Standing Meditation in Volume 4 so that every time that you practice it, you will get stronger energizing effects.

Start slow, keep the practice calm and even, but keep going and you'll attain higher energy levels and self-awareness, you will one day be surprised at your demonstrably greater healing capacity.

Sifu Terry Dunn

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 1

Been awhile since I logged in here and saw Green Tigers post!

Green Tiger, in my own understanding as someone in the same shoes as you; ie: at beginner level... I had a similar effect with holding the Peach, but in my case my right hand side little finger felt numb first time round with that meditation.

The best way I described the feeling to friends is that it felt like the numb feeling after a pins and needles episode but it did not feel like at all. (makes little sense I know but hey explaining energy is hard)

After more practise is when the blue appeared. It didn't take too much more practise that I could walk around work breathing in the correct manner (roof on tongue and mindset) that the feeling of my hands took on an energy feeling rather than the flesh.

Its rather hard to describe a bonafide practise where you literally become an antenna to all those force's that have been described since day dot...yet science still has problems explaining any of them :blink::D

Bending the Bows to me I believe is the key for a beginner :D

---

Kinda OT!...Sifu Terry I found a Phoenix Spirit in the Sky :D

pictur11.jpg

Hi Somamech, Nice Flying Phoenix contrails in the sky! Oh my!! ;)

Hello JohnC,

Yes, it's quite alright to just do Monk Holding Pearl while seated in any position. And if you're doing an hour of meditation, that is fine and terrific. Suggestion: if you want to strengthen the effects of MHP, you can count yourself out of the meditation with 3 deep breathes after 30 minutes of meditation and do another breath control sequence (50 40 30 20 10) to finish the second half of the hour--You can even stop and restart/renew the meditation at 15 minute intervals--i.e. 4 times within the span of an hour. Or continue doing what you're presently doing: one breath control sequence and sit for 60 minutes. This is fine practice. But whenever you're able, add the 3 warm-up meditations at the start of Volume 2. They are very basic, very gentle and will create greater circulation of the FP Healing energy once you've cultivated a reserve through your 60-minute sessions of Monk Holding Pearl.

Regarding the health of your kidneys: I would suggest also getting a second opinion from a western physician/renal specialist. It's always good to get more than one type of diagnosis.

Best,

Sifu Terry

Awesome, thank you Sifu Terry.

John

Hi Terry,

I have been practicing series number 4 of your flying phoenix chi kung system for about a week now and it's my favorite so far!

I have a question.. I think it's in part 3 or 4 of the choreography... you specify in the practice section that you need to turn left and right (leading with the arm raised with palm facing you) a total of 5 times before switching to the palm up/palm down position. However, in the final section where you perform the entire choreography you go left and right a total of 7 times instead of 5. Is this an error or does it not matter?

Thanks!

Hello Audiohealing,

I'm very glad to hear that you're enjoying your practice of the Long Form Standing Meditation ("Flying Phoenix Celestial Healing Chi Meditation") in Volume Four, which is the capstone of the FP Qigong system.

Answer to your question: the standard way of doing this moving meditation is to turn the waist with the raised forearm a total of five (5) times--three times from left to right with the right forearm raised, and two times turning from right to left with the left forearm raised.

Good visual catch: I did a total of 7 turns in the final performance on the DVD because the extra two occurred spontaneously. You can consider it a mental error, but as long as one's form is correct, doing extra turns of that movement won't cause any harm.

Best,

Terry Dunn

• Like 1