Fu_dog

Flying Phoenix Chi Kung

11 hours ago, tao stillness said:

I would Rx from Vol. 7, the one that is the energizer which is the one we should not do before bed. I mistakenly did that one once late at night and it took hours for me to fall asleep. So that's a great one to start the day. As everyone who does Flying Phoenix Chi Kung already knows, there is no other qigong method that produces such a tangible, strong sensation of Qi. That's my experience after trying at least 100 different chi kung sets. Tai Chi guy Scott Meredith claims to feel "thunder Qi" from his methods, and claims that unless you feel that tremendous, strong flow of energy while doing tai chi, you are not getting much out of doing tai chi other than performing a nice looking dance. I did not try his methods long enough to feel anything from them. 

I keep intending to go back to doing Flying Phoenix but the time requirement is a barrier due to my increased duties raising young foster children during retirement. Busier now than when I was employed.

Hi Steve,

I think the "Monk Serves Wine" meditation that you refer to as  "the one that is the energizer..."  is the last seated meditation on Volume 2 --not Vol. 7--that starts with the palms in "the lotus" position (clasped palms on the centerline at heart level) and then slowly separates the palms by pulling the elbows sideways that has the breathing sequience (90 80 50 20).  On the Volume 2 DVD, which has 3 "warm-up" seated meditations followed by 3 MSW meditations, that one is the very last meditation on the program.  That's the one you don't want to do at night.

Thanks for your positive assessment of FP Qigong after trying some 100+ Qigong methods and/or systems.

About "Thunder Qi" as coined by the Tai Chi proponent you mentioned:   

No, you will NOT feel anything "thunderous" when practicing FP Qigong because no aspect of healing is "thunderous."   If you do feel something "thunderous" when doing FP Qigong, then you are practicing it incorrectly and STOP IMMEDIATELY whatever you're doing with the system!!!  FP Qigong Healing Qi, is sublime, restorative, light, all-penetrating, and all permeating, mind-clearing, and, as described by me and my more advanced students  many times on this thread,  has an intelligence of its own.

FP Qigong induces allostasis, and restorative, self-healing process that returns the body to homeostasis and normal health.

Any mundane energy state that is restorative and truly healing from any world tradition of wellness---Tibetan, Buddhist, Kaballistic, Gnostic Christian, So. African Sangoma, Islamic Hijama, etc.--is NOT "thunderous"--except for ultra-rare occasions of authentic spiritual healing (defined as healing effected by the intervention of spiritual forces and entities).  Again, the nature and experienced quality of healing energy is not "thunderous."   For how can "thunderous" energy sustain an integrated mind and body and activate continuous self-healing?? 

•• Let's just ask ourselves and think back, over the past 14 years and out of the 5,

However,  "thunderous" does accurately describe the energy of martial Qigong systems, of which I--along with Sifu Garry Hearfield in Australia and a few others--preserve several in the Ehrmei Mountain Bok Fu Pai as taught by Grandmaster Doo Wai. 

A.  One particular technique we have in Bok Fu Pai Kung fu is translated from Cantonese as,  "THE CONTINUOUS PIERCING PALM"--and this technique (that consists of 3 movements) can truly be described as 'THUNDEROUS".

B.   Of the Ehrmei Bok Fu Pai systems that I preserve that exhibit demonstrable and verifiable "thunderous Qi":

1.  Bok Fu Pai Nei Kung

2.  LEVEL 2 of Advanced Flying Phoenix Qigong (9 standing meditations)

3.  10,000 Buddhas Ascend To Heaven (54 exercises) -- All 3 subsets containing 18 meditations...impart experience of "thunder" louder and more intensely tangible  than naturally occuring thunder in climate.

C.   Bat Din Gum -- 8 Sections of Energy Combined (a vast kung fu system).  A Wudang intenral system that made its way southward and today is known to be practiced by the monks at the Goddess of Mercy (Kuan Yin) Temple in Macau.

D   "Thunderous Qi" can be experienced within the first few years of Tao Tan Pai (Taoist Elixir method) Kung Fu training that is ACTUALLY HEARD--NOT IMAGINED--AS A DEEP, THUNDEROUS DRUMMING IN THE EARS.

In fact, once one becomes adept in the basics of Tao Tan Pai Kung Fu after:

(1)  becoming proficient in the basic TTP 5 Animal Kung fu forms (tiger, dragon, snake, crane, and monkey) and a few TTP weapons forms, 

(2)  becoming adept in the first level qigong called the Tao Tan Pai Basic 31 Meditations

--which for beginners can occur within 3 to 5 years of training, it is possible to experience and hear "thunderous Qi."

MY CONCLUSION:  "Thunderous" Qi can be cultivated in many internal systems of kung fu besides the 6 methods that I practiced for decades and have listed above, A, B1, B2, B3, C, and D.

BTW, in my experience, "Thunderous Qi" is not a requisite benchmark in the  Tai Chi Chuan system that I have practiced over the past 44 years, which is the Cheng Man-ching manner of the Yang Family style.  In my years of training under the late Master/General Abraham Liu (1980-1992), the late Master Benjamin Lo , and since 2013 with GM William C.C. Chen, I have NEVER HEARD these high-level masters nor any of their senior students mention "thunderous Qi".   --Which is not to say that it doesn't exist or hasn't been experienced by someone else doing Tai Chi.  

I'm just stating here that I have never heard nor experienced "thunderous Qi" during my Tai Chi Chuan development of soft power.

I have, however, as I've given an account of here on this thread, experienced while doing Tai Chi Chuan the feeling that I was completely charged with lightning energy--to the extent that I did not have volitional control over my bodily movements for a few long seconds.

Again, I state that I have only experienced that phenomenon of "thunderous Qi" while practicing the secret martial Qigong engines that empower  Bok Fu Pai, Tao Tan Pai, and Bat Din Gum systems.

Sifu Terry Dunn

www.taichimania.com/chikung_catalog.html

terencedunn.substack.com

• Like 4

7 hours ago, zen-bear said:

I'm just stating here that I have never heard nor experienced "thunderous Qi" during my Tai Chi Chuan development of soft power.

I have, however, as I've given an account of here on this thread, experienced while doing Tai Chi Chuan the feeling that I was completely charged with lightning energy--to the extent that I did not have volitional control over my bodily movements for a few long seconds.

Again, I state that I have only experienced that phenomenon of "thunderous Qi" while practicing the secret martial Qigong engines that empower  Bok Fu Pai, Tao Tan Pai, and Bat Din Gum systems.

“Electric qi” would be something I’ve experienced from other systems, which I guess could also be called “lightning qi”. Feels exactly like an electric shock or current, quite small when I’m doing practices myself, very very very strong when a master is emitting it into me. 

What if feel from FP qi is more of a menthol, cooling and calming energy rather than a hot or electric energy. Curious to see what Sifu Terry and other practitioners feel from FP. 

• Like 3

Hi Sifu Terry,

I've been keeping up my practice - things are mostly good, but I have a couple questions that have come up.

1. If I'm pressed for time, is it better to do a few slow reps of Bending the Bows, or 18 fast ones?

2. Does FP energy linger sometimes for hours after I practice?

Today (and a few other times) even though I left several hours between my FP practice and my BJJ class, I learned the hard way that it is indeed very un-martial. I felt really uncoordinated when drilling/sparring. It was like my body and nervous system wanted to have a friendly chat with my sparring partners rather than try to choke them out. (On the plus side my cardio was very good). I was pretty surprised since I'd expected to have reverted back to a normal state by then.

To be fair, I might have just had a bad day today, but this has also happened several times in the past so I want to make sure.

3. What are some ways I can quickly transition into a more "martial" state of mind?

I've found the following things to help:

-time (though this seems unreliable as today showed)

-practicing some form of qigong where the energy is more "agile"

-a lengthy and vigorous warmup session

Is there anything else that might work better? I read somewhere in this thread that solid food/cold water may help, which I will try next time. I also read that eventually I'll be able to stop the FP process mentally? But I'm not sure if I have the skill to do that yet.

Thanks,

Alex

edit: have a couple further questions about touching the tongue to the roof of the mouth-

4. How much force to use? Is it best to let it touch as gently as possible? Sometimes I find myself pushing rather hard. 
5. is there a definitive answer for which part of the mouth to touch? (Behind teeth, middle, or pointing back) I saw some interesting discussion in this thread but I didn’t quite get which one to do for now (or how much it matters at this stage)

Edited by daokedao
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi, Sifu Terry. A few days ago I asked you about FP and ADHD. And as per your recommendations I practiced the MSW1 and MHP . After reading Vajra Fist's post about MSW2 being the cleanser , I also tried it once.

It's been a few days I have been doing the MSW1 (90,50,40,30,10), MHP  and the second meditation from Volume 7. My first impressions of MSW1 were very strong. It's like a strong medicine. I'm like what's stress and what's adhd. Also I feel like I am immune to stress. I can't get stressful even if I try. I started remembering things, where I had put the towel, where I had put my medicine, small things like that. Also I can focus a bit longer than before and I don't get stressed out when learning something. I also felt my personality changed like I my mental levels were upgraded. It felt like CEO mentality.

I only tried MSW2(50,40,30,10) once and It instantly removed many negative emotions and energies from my mind. Like neediness,despair,hopelessness. That made me think that practicing MSW1 alone is not enough . I need to add MSW2 to remove the negative stuff. Like if someone is in a toxic relationship or having negative thoughts MSW2 would be good for them.

I also practiced 2nd meditation from Vol 7 . For all MSW meditations the energy starts to become strong and deep in the 6th repetition. When doing this meditation I felt present and in my body , like "YOU ARE HERE, THERE'S NO STRESS , NOTHING. I AM HERE" .  I felt more present and in my body.

One thing I have noticed is that I think that I will do 1 set of MSW1 (90,50,40,30,10) .I do it extremely slowly as possible . I then look up the time and 25 minutes have been passed. Sifu Terry, I wanted to ask what is better. Doing one set as slow as possible or doing multiple sets with medium speed.

One more thing, You mentioned that the Vol 4 has all the benefits of the previous 3 volumes. So does this mean Vol 4 will affect the frontal lobes also. I myself haven't oracticed Volume 4 yet, but I intend to.

Sifu Terry, I searched this thread for thyroid but couldn't find any post. If you may, Would you recommend a meditation for thyroid balancing.

Thanks.

Edited by Learner
  • Like 2

Hi Sifu Terry,

I've realized that I may actually have quite a bit of spontaneous movement during FP, and that I might just be resisting it in an attempt to keep the correct posture.

However, I'm not sure how much I should let go during the meditations before it's too much. For example, when doing the "50 10 50" seated meditation today, I decided to let go completely and my whole upper body started swaying vigorously from left to right. But I'm not sure if that was ok, or if I'd basically abandoned the exercise.

To add to my confusion, the qigong systems I'd already learned have a lot spontaneous qigong, to the point where (before any FP practice) if I just stand up straight and relax I will start swaying. So I was afraid that I'd be wrongly allowing that to spill over into my FP practice (when in reality you and the others in this thread meant something else by spontaneous/involuntary movements).

Should I give in to the impulse to move? Or should I try to be as still as I can unless my body forces me to move?

Would greatly appreciate your guidance on this. Thanks.

Edited by daokedao
  • Like 2

I have been doing Monk Gazing at Moon more regularly and I noticed a vertical chi flow on both sides of the body...

The flow seems to start from the hands and go down the limbs... It is somewhat surprising outcome.. a new phenomenon I just have experienced for a week..  

I wonder if it means... Have I reached some kind of stage?

• Like 2

Quite a nice experience of Qi flow. I haven't heard any Qigong teachers mentioning that there are stages of qigong. I would consider your experience as a sign of having made progress in your practice of Flying Phoenix Qigong. People experience the flow of Qi differently, and to my way of thinking, any sensation while performing Qigong is validation that something good is happening and motivates us to continue with our practice. 

• Like 2

On 10/2/2023 at 9:51 PM, zen-bear said:

Hi Steve,

I think the "Monk Serves Wine" meditation that you refer to as  "the one that is the energizer..."  is the last seated meditation on Volume 2 --not Vol. 7--that starts with the palms in "the lotus" position (clasped palms on the centerline at heart level) and then slowly separates the palms by pulling the elbows sideways that has the breathing sequience (90 80 50 20).  On the Volume 2 DVD, which has 3 "warm-up" seated meditations followed by 3 MSW meditations, that one is the very last meditation on the program.  That's the one you don't want to do at night.

Thanks for your positive assessment of FP Qigong after trying some 100+ Qigong methods and/or systems.

About "Thunder Qi" as coined by the Tai Chi proponent you mentioned:   

No, you will NOT feel anything "thunderous" when practicing FP Qigong because no aspect of healing is "thunderous."   If you do feel something "thunderous" when doing FP Qigong, then you are practicing it incorrectly and STOP IMMEDIATELY whatever you're doing with the system!!!  FP Qigong Healing Qi, is sublime, restorative, light, all-penetrating, and all permeating, mind-clearing, and, as described by me and my more advanced students  many times on this thread,  has an intelligence of its own.

FP Qigong induces allostasis, and restorative, self-healing process that returns the body to homeostasis and normal health.

Any mundane energy state that is restorative and truly healing from any world tradition of wellness---Tibetan, Buddhist, Kaballistic, Gnostic Christian, So. African Sangoma, Islamic Hijama, etc.--is NOT "thunderous"--except for ultra-rare occasions of authentic spiritual healing (defined as healing effected by the intervention of spiritual forces and entities).  Again, the nature and experienced quality of healing energy is not "thunderous."   For how can "thunderous" energy sustain an integrated mind and body and activate continuous self-healing?? 

•• Let's just ask ourselves and think back, over the past 14 years and out of the 5,

However,  "thunderous" does accurately describe the energy of martial Qigong systems, of which I--along with Sifu Garry Hearfield in Australia and a few others--preserve several in the Ehrmei Mountain Bok Fu Pai as taught by Grandmaster Doo Wai. 

A.  One particular technique we have in Bok Fu Pai Kung fu is translated from Cantonese as,  "THE CONTINUOUS PIERCING PALM"--and this technique (that consists of 3 movements) can truly be described as 'THUNDEROUS".

B.   Of the Ehrmei Bok Fu Pai systems that I preserve that exhibit demonstrable and verifiable "thunderous Qi":

1.  Bok Fu Pai Nei Kung

2.  LEVEL 2 of Advanced Flying Phoenix Qigong (9 standing meditations)

3.  10,000 Buddhas Ascend To Heaven (54 exercises) -- All 3 subsets containing 18 meditations...impart experience of "thunder" louder and more intensely tangible  than naturally occuring thunder in climate.

C.   Bat Din Gum -- 8 Sections of Energy Combined (a vast kung fu system).  A Wudang intenral system that made its way southward and today is known to be practiced by the monks at the Goddess of Mercy (Kuan Yin) Temple in Macau.

D   "Thunderous Qi" can be experienced within the first few years of Tao Tan Pai (Taoist Elixir method) Kung Fu training that is ACTUALLY HEARD--NOT IMAGINED--AS A DEEP, THUNDEROUS DRUMMING IN THE EARS.

In fact, once one becomes adept in the basics of Tao Tan Pai Kung Fu after:

(1)  becoming proficient in the basic TTP 5 Animal Kung fu forms (tiger, dragon, snake, crane, and monkey) and a few TTP weapons forms, 

(2)  becoming adept in the first level qigong called the Tao Tan Pai Basic 31 Meditations

--which for beginners can occur within 3 to 5 years of training, it is possible to experience and hear "thunderous Qi."

MY CONCLUSION:  "Thunderous" Qi can be cultivated in many internal systems of kung fu besides the 6 methods that I practiced for decades and have listed above, A, B1, B2, B3, C, and D.

BTW, in my experience, "Thunderous Qi" is not a requisite benchmark in the  Tai Chi Chuan system that I have practiced over the past 44 years, which is the Cheng Man-ching manner of the Yang Family style.  In my years of training under the late Master/General Abraham Liu (1980-1992), the late Master Benjamin Lo , and since 2013 with GM William C.C. Chen, I have NEVER HEARD these high-level masters nor any of their senior students mention "thunderous Qi".   --Which is not to say that it doesn't exist or hasn't been experienced by someone else doing Tai Chi.  

Sifu Terry Dunn

terencedunn.substack.com

Hi Sifu Terry, I’m a returning student. I have made it to the short form Capstone exercise which I still have to master. 

I began hearing buzzing in my ears after I laid the foundation in another system in 2020. I’ve been hearing it 24/7 since then. 

When I do Flying Phoenix, the sound gets louder. So while Flying Phoenix may not generate this electric qi, perhaps it enhances it?

I will say though that Flying Phoenix is too intelligent a system if that makes sense lol. It boggles the mind. 

Every exercise seems to be a heavenly formula for tweaking our consciousness…tuning it to a different frequency. My entire being is cleansed from negative emotions after practicing. I don’t experience this with other systems. The difference is like night and day. 

I do physical labor for work and just one 5 minute exercise before work will give me enough energy to move continuously for 10 hours minus a few breaks. 

• Like 3

Thank you Sifu Terry for the clarification of where the energizer meditation is found. 

I remember when doing the meditation nicknamed, the sleeper, that I would often doze off while doing it right before bed but I would wake and realize my hands and arms were still doing the posture while part of me was briefly snoozing.  

Edited by tao stillness
comments withdrawn after reconsideration
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, EternalStudent said:

Hi Sifu Terry, I’m a returning student. I have made it to the short form Capstone exercise which I still have to master. 

I began hearing buzzing in my ears after I laid the foundation in another system in 2020. I’ve been hearing it 24/7 since then. 

When I do Flying Phoenix, the sound gets louder. So while Flying Phoenix may not generate this electric qi, perhaps it enhances it?

I will say though that Flying Phoenix is too intelligent a system if that makes sense lol. It boggles the mind. 

Every exercise seems to be a heavenly formula for tweaking our consciousness…tuning it to a different frequency. My entire being is cleansed from negative emotions after practicing. I don’t experience this with other systems. The difference is like night and day. 

I do physical labor for work and just one 5 minute exercise before work will give me enough energy to move continuously for 10 hours minus a few breaks. 

Which exercise?

52 minutes ago, centertime said:

Which exercise?

I usually only have time to one standing exercise on my workdays. Since I already do at lot of physical exercise at work I like to balance it out by doing static exercises. I usually go for Monk Gazing at Moon or Monk Holding the Pearl. 

I do one for a few weeks straight or only a couple of days depending on the type of energy I wish to project in the work place. 

When I had a lot of work to do, I favor Mon Gazing At Moon. It gives me the most dynamic energy. 

Monk Holding the Pearl has more of a smoothing effect on me. It grounds and centers me. 

So, I find this combination to be good.

• Like 3

I think it is obvious that with what is going on in the world with new viruses, stress from unstable governments, crumbling economies, college athletic conferences merging or disappearing, warfare, etc., Qigong is needed now more than ever to boost the immune system and to manage stress as the world continues to rapidly change during this anticipated phase transition due to a minor period of Sat Yuga beginning in the midst of the longer Kali Yuga. Physics tells us that before something takes a quantum leap to a more orderly state, such as water turning to ice, there is much random chaotic activity of the molecules before the change in states happens. That is what we have been seeing for the last number of years. So I think Qigong serves as buffer for what is going on. Since our consciousness at the quantum level is connected to everything and everyone at a deep level, we are all subject to this increasing entropy/chaos. So it's time to buckle up and increase the time we put into doing Flying Phoenix Chi Kung. I am currently looking at my daily routine and demands on my time created by family life to find a way to go back to doing some Flying Phoenix Chi Kung based on all of these glowing testimonials from people comparing results of Flying Phoenix to the other Qigong methods that they previously experienced. The solution to the lack of time probably can be found by decreasing the addictive nature of being online too long. I also have to have a mental change. When I used to do Flying Phoenix Chi Kung I had the attitude that I had to do almost all of the meditations each day. A mindset of all or nothing resulted in not finding the time to do Flying Phoenix and then looking for styles of Qigong that were not as time consuming as Flying Phoenix Chi Kung.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, tao stillness said:

I think it is obvious that with what is going on in the world with new viruses, stress from unstable governments, crumbling economies, college athletic conferences merging or disappearing, warfare, etc., Qigong is needed now more than ever to boost the immune system and to manage stress as the world continues to rapidly change during this anticipated phase transition due to a minor period of Sat Yuga beginning in the midst of the longer Kali Yuga. Physics tells us that before something takes a quantum leap to a more orderly state, such as water turning to ice, there is much random chaotic activity of the molecules before the change in states happens. That is what we have been seeing for the last number of years. So I think Qigong serves as buffer for what is going on. Since our consciousness at the quantum level is connected to everything and everyone at a deep level, we are all subject to this increasing entropy/chaos. So it's time to buckle up and increase the time we put into doing Flying Phoenix Chi Kung. I am currently looking at my daily routine and demands on my time created by family life to find a way to go back to doing some Flying Phoenix Chi Kung based on all of these glowing testimonials from people comparing results of Flying Phoenix to the other Qigong methods that they previously experienced. The solution to the lack of time probably can be found by decreasing the addictive nature of being online too long. I also have to have a mental change. When I used to do Flying Phoenix Chi Kung I had the attitude that I had to do almost all of the meditations each day. A mindset of all or nothing resulted in not finding the time to do Flying Phoenix and then looking for styles of Qigong that were not as time consuming as Flying Phoenix Chi Kung.  

I’ve started to add a prayer session before doing my daily qigong 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, tao stillness said:

I had a similar experience when I started. I felt like I needed to do as many meditations as possible. Then I switched to the recommended schedule of one standing/sitting meditation a day for 2 weeks and then adding on more. I’ve found that training schedule to be the most effective to me. So now I’m working on finishing up the intermediate/advanced meditations while doing one meditation a day. I’ve found that once you spend some time with Flying Phoenix, it doesn’t take much to activate the energy in your body. It’s like everything I’ve gained from the practice is contained within each exercise. 

• Like 2

On 10/3/2023 at 9:43 PM, daokedao said:

edit: have a couple further questions about touching the tongue to the roof of the mouth-

4. How much force to use? Is it best to let it touch as gently as possible? Sometimes I find myself pushing rather hard. 
5. is there a definitive answer for which part of the mouth to touch? (Behind teeth, middle, or pointing back) I saw some interesting discussion in this thread but I didn’t quite get which one to do for now (or how much it matters at this stage)

FYI Touching the tongue to the roof of the mouth allows saliva to flow and moisten the mouth. The purpose is just to lift up the tongue. Hence, where to touch or how much force needs to be applied is immaterial.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, tao stillness said:

I don't know when exactly I started doing FPCK, but it has to be more or less from the beginning of the thread. I had some breaks in between, but 13-14 years of FPCK gives some nice results.

Some time ago I discovered I can communicate with the energy/intelligence behind FPCK and direct the healing towards specific parts of my system and also other persons and their issues. Whether this is the official way of healing with FPCK I don't know, but it works for me.

Also I notice in general with cultivation it is helpful to enjoy life and your passions as the qi flows better in your body and life seems just way better.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, johndoe2012 said:

I don't know when exactly I started doing FPCK, but it has to be more or less from the beginning of the thread. I had some breaks in between, but 13-14 years of FPCK gives some nice results.

Some time ago I discovered I can communicate with the energy/intelligence behind FPCK and direct the healing towards specific parts of my system and also other persons and their issues. Whether this is the official way of healing with FPCK I don't know, but it works for me.

Also I notice in general with cultivation it is helpful to enjoy life and your passions as the qi flows better in your body and life seems just way better.

How do you communicate with rhe energy?  Do you mentally talk, guide it or just imagine it going to part of the body you want to heal.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Learner said:

How do you communicate with rhe energy?  Do you mentally talk, guide it or just imagine it going to part of the body you want to heal.

The healing process will use the energy to repair any damaged tissues in the body. There is no communication needed.

Just wanted to chime in. I just started the practice and. wow even after only a couple sessions while still learning the standing forms. I've felt sensations I've never felt. In the legs and neck. It seems to be great for unblocking areas I've never been able to feel the qi well, even after being sensitive to it for several years now. Kinda like this cool flowing sensation up the neck. Also just feel generally great  and mellow after the session.

One thing I'm curious about is the left hand in the right. So many people specify by gender for males the right goes under the left. But to me the other way has always felt more intuitive and just a natural fit. So I'm enjoying that theres no tension like when  I'd try and do the other way. It just adds an unnecessary layer of distraction.

Editing my own comment I realized it's probably due to it being more yin in nature in general which makes sense.

Edited by Klinsly
  • Like 3

On 10/3/2023 at 4:56 AM, Pak_Satrio said:

“Electric qi” would be something I’ve experienced from other systems, which I guess could also be called “lightning qi”. Feels exactly like an electric shock or current, quite small when I’m doing practices myself, very very very strong when a master is emitting it into me. 

What if feel from FP qi is more of a menthol, cooling and calming energy rather than a hot or electric energy. Curious to see what Sifu Terry and other practitioners feel from FP. 

Hi Pak Satrio,

FP qi is more of a menthol, cooling and calming energy rather than a hot or electric energy.

Your use of the worlds "menthol" along with "cooling" and "calming" description above is wonderfully accurate.

I can't do much better than that!  Thanks for your contribution of the "menthol" adjective to our Qigong vocabulary!

Best,

Sifu Terry

• Like 2

On 10/4/2023 at 12:43 AM, daokedao said:

Hi Sifu Terry,

I've been keeping up my practice - things are mostly good, but I have a couple questions that have come up.

1. If I'm pressed for time, is it better to do a few slow reps of Bending the Bows, or 18 fast ones?

Today (and a few other times) even though I left several hours between my FP practice and my BJJ class, I learned the hard way that it is indeed very un-martial. I felt really uncoordinated when drilling/sparring. It was like my body and nervous system wanted to have a friendly chat with my sparring partners rather than try to choke them out. (On the plus side my cardio was very good). I was pretty surprised since I'd expected to have reverted back to a normal state by then.

To be fair, I might have just had a bad day today, but this has also happened several times in the past so I want to make sure.

3. What are some ways I can quickly transition into a more "martial" state of mind?

Is there anything else that might work better? I read somewhere in this thread that solid food/cold water may help, which I will try next time. I also read that eventually I'll be able to stop the FP process mentally? But I'm not sure if I have the skill to do that yet.

Thanks,

Alex

Hi Alex,

Sorry to take so long to respond to your post.  (I've been slammed these past 10 days with teaching, book-writing, video editing, and house-hunting.)

Here are my answers to your questions (in blue italics):

It's always better to do slow reps of Bending the Bows and slow versions of any of the other FP moving meditations--as opposed to doing anything in a rushed manner.  It's quality practice first.  Once correct practice is established, then increase the quantity (time).

Yes, it certainly does as almost every serious FPCK practitioner has discovered.  If you read the thread from the beginning, you'll see posts by practitioners who felt the FP Healing Qi not only linger, but set on again (out of nowhere) --like 8 hours after they had stopped practicing. Here is an video clip I was nimble enough to shoot spotaneously when an 81-yr old student of mine, Rori Kanter shared how the healing effects set on later in the day after she had taken a free 2-hour demonstratino class that I gave for World Tai Chi Qigong Day in 2019:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbDGsgKTpDg

Today (and a few other times) even though I left several hours between my FP practice and my BJJ class, I learned the hard way that it is indeed very un-martial. I felt really uncoordinated when drilling/sparring. It was like my body and nervous system wanted to have a friendly chat with my sparring partners rather than try to choke them out.

HA HA HA.  I love it when practitioners who are martial artists discover this!  Now you understand why GM Doo Wai gave me permission to teach the complete art of FPCK--WITH the breathing formulas:  because one can do no harm to others by using FP Qigong.  That is not the case, of course, with Bok Fu Pai's martial qigong systems.  Thus they stay secret and are taught only to initiates who have put in the time and mastered the kung fu--and themselves.

Is there anything else that might work better? I read somewhere in this thread that solid food/cold water may help, which I will try next time.

yes, time naturally causes FP healing effects to fade.

Yes, practice martial qigong.

But moreover, practice and master a authentic Kung Fu system and you will always have instant martial intent and energy at your command.

Yes, this too--and especially if you are warming up with authentic kung fu exercises from a classical system.

What are some ways I can quickly transition into a more "martial" state of mind?

•• You've answered your own question by how you asked it:

You can snap yourself into martial mode instantly if your mental focus is very strong and clear.

Also, if you have practiced and mastered advanced forms of martial qigong, you will have a psychic or physical or mental trigger or que that will bring on your martial Qi instantly.

Also, there's nothing like the natural "fight or flight"  response of the sympathetic nervous system that kicks in when there is a real threat to life and limb afoot.

I also read that eventually I'll be able to stop the FP process mentally? But I'm not sure if I have the skill to do that yet.

Keep practicing and you will eventuallty develop that mental ability.

Very little.  Touch lightly is fine.  Also there's nothing wrong with stretching the tip of the tongue to point way back to the center of the brain--i.e., the pineal gland--as the Tibetans do.  But that's not required or necessary for FP qigong.

Just behind the teeth or middle of the hard palate (center of roof of mouth) is fine.  As stated above, pointing tip of the tongue way back towards the center of the brain is also ok to do.

Enjoy your practice.

Sifu Terry

terencedunn.substack.com

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 3

On 10/7/2023 at 9:26 AM, Learner said:

Hi, Sifu Terry. A few days ago I asked you about FP and ADHD. And as per your recommendations I practiced the MSW1 and MHP . After reading Vajra Fist's post about MSW2 being the cleanser , I also tried it once.

It's been a few days I have been doing the MSW1 (90,50,40,30,10), MHP  and the second meditation from Volume 7. My first impressions of MSW1 were very strong. It's like a strong medicine. I'm like what's stress and what's adhd. Also I feel like I am immune to stress. I can't get stressful even if I try. I started remembering things, where I had put the towel, where I had put my medicine, small things like that. Also I can focus a bit longer than before and I don't get stressed out when learning something. I also felt my personality changed like I my mental levels were upgraded. It felt like CEO mentality.

I only tried MSW2(50,40,30,10) once and It instantly removed many negative emotions and energies from my mind. Like neediness,despair,hopelessness. That made me think that practicing MSW1 alone is not enough . I need to add MSW2 to remove the negative stuff. Like if someone is in a toxic relationship or having negative thoughts MSW2 would be good for them.

I also practiced 2nd meditation from Vol 7 . For all MSW meditations the energy starts to become strong and deep in the 6th repetition. When doing this meditation I felt present and in my body , like "YOU ARE HERE, THERE'S NO STRESS , NOTHING. I AM HERE" .  I felt more present and in my body.

One thing I have noticed is that I think that I will do 1 set of MSW1 (90,50,40,30,10) .I do it extremely slowly as possible . I then look up the time and 25 minutes have been passed. Sifu Terry, I wanted to ask what is better. Doing one set as slow as possible or doing multiple sets with medium speed.

One more thing, You mentioned that the Vol 4 has all the benefits of the previous 3 volumes. So does this mean Vol 4 will affect the frontal lobes also. I myself haven't oracticed Volume 4 yet, but I intend to.

Sifu Terry, I searched this thread for thyroid but couldn't find any post. If you may, Would you recommend a meditation for thyroid balancing.

Thanks.

Hello Learner,

Thank you for posting your experience with MSW1, vol.7 first med., and your overall impressions of FP Qigong providing relief from stress and relief from ADHD.

It's been a few days I have been doing the MSW1 (90,50,40,30,10), MHP  and the second meditation from Volume 7. My first impressions of MSW1 were very strong.

It's like a strong medicine. I'm like what's stress and what's adhd.

Also I feel like I am immune to stress. I can't get stressful even if I try.
I am so glad to hear this.  Music to my hears.  WOW!  WONDERFUL RESULTS!

Being "immune to stress" is the whole purpose of Chinese martial and spiritual arts.

Being immune to stress not only enables you to respond to anything...

I started remembering things, where I had put the towel, where I had put my medicine, small things like that.

So glad to hear that your memory has improved!  I've felt the same benefits from the moment I started FPCK in 1991--though not as dramatically as you because I've not suffered from ADHD.  But I can concur that FP Qigong keeps the mind clear and maintains high brain function.

Also I can focus a bit longer than before and I don't get stressed out when learning something.

To be able to concentrate mentally while staying calm is the key to getting lots of work done...

And is also thee key to creativity.

I also felt my personality changed like I my mental levels were upgraded. It felt like CEO mentality.

FP Qigong perfects your ability to manage stress, and so frees up so much energy otherwise tied up in tension and worry, that  your genetic talent can be discovered and unleashed.

I only tried MSW2(50,40,30,10) once and It instantly removed many negative emotions and energies from my mind. Like neediness, despair, hopelessness. That made me think that practicing MSW1 alone is not enough . I need to add MSW2 to remove the negative stuff. Like if someone is in a toxic relationship or having negative thoughts MSW2 would be good for them.

Yes, MSW2 is one of my favorites.  Kind of a sleeper--in 2 respect:  (1)  in induces deep, sound sleep;  (2)  And because I've never had a problem with sound sleep in my lifetime, I didn't notice MSW2's sleep-inducing effects at first because I learned it in daytime from GM Doo Wai and then practiced it during daytime.  I just found it very, very calming.  It wasn't until a student of mine in LA, Eileen Shaw, I recall, who told me that she found MSW2 especially helpful in inducing sound and restful sleep. Then I went back and practiced it in the evening that I confirmed that it was a great sleep-inducer.

practicing MSW1 alone is not enough. 

Yes, that is why there are 24 seated MSW meditations in this first level of FP Qigong. 

FPCK is a complete Taoist monastic Qigong SYSTEM. -- as opposed to so much light-weight, flimsy pseudo-calisthenics that passes itself off as "Qigong" that some New Age huckster either  translated from a throwaway mainland Chinese pamphlet printed in 1973 (instead of translated from a carving made in 993AD by Lu Tung-Pin) or just made up in his/her garage.  But anything goes in America and now Qigong is as diluted a term as "yoga"--and sometimes as meaningless, depending on who you find teaching what.

And each FPCK meditation has its very precise and tangible and scientifically verifiable effects on the body's health, energy level, strength of tissues, and the mind's clarity, acuity, and degree-extent of awareness.

I need to add MSW2 to remove the negative stuff.  Like if someone is in a toxic relationship or having negative thoughts MSW2 would be good for them.

Yes, by the time you get to MSW2, you have just the beginnings of a handle on how to dissipate negativity from mind and emotions.  But much more so after you've completed ALL of the FP  standing and seated meds. in Volumes 1-5 and Vol.7.  Then there are 12 other seated MSW meditations that I haven't publsihed yet. 

• Complete the system, practice correctly for 3 to 6 years under some supervision,  and you may become a MASTER of stress management and energy healing.

"All present"; " ALL HERE NOW" is the very basic stage of meditation called "access" and "absorption."

••• Read Daniel Goleman's "THE BUDDHA ON MEDITATION AND STATES OF CONSCIOUSNESS" parts 1 and 2:

Part 1:   https://www.proquest.com/openview/ded681544ec561a09e24da20df67db44/1?pq-origsite=gscholar&cbl=1816469

Part 2:  https://www.atpweb.org/jtparchive/trps-04-72-02-151.pdf

One or more sets as slowly as possible.  Make time and do MSW and all FP MEds. at different speeds.  With standing moving meds. do rounds in which you hold each posture for 4 or more breathes.

Yes, Vol.4 Long Form Standing Meditation, which gives the system its name FLYING PHOENIX HEAVENLY HEALING CHI MEDITATION is the capstone exercise of the entire system.  Its practice subsumes the practice of all preceding 7 standing meditations.

No, I can't give a specific yogic prescription for a thyroid because I have to see you--or the person with the condition--in front of me...and do  finger-toe diagnosis from Tao Tan Pai healing tradition...also because endocrine problems affect the entire body and also have a myriad of unnoticed symptoms.

But we can put the message out right here, right now and ask the FPCK community if any has found FPCK to have positive effects on thyroid problems.

Enjoy your exploration of FPCK.  Practice diligently, put int he time, and practice thoroughly.

Regards,

Sifu Terry

terencedunn.substack.com

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 4

On 10/7/2023 at 2:12 PM, daokedao said:

Hi Sifu Terry,

I've realized that I may actually have quite a bit of spontaneous movement during FP, and that I might just be resisting it in an attempt to keep the correct posture.

However, I'm not sure how much I should let go during the meditations before it's too much. For example, when doing the "50 10 50" seated meditation today, I decided to let go completely and my whole upper body started swaying vigorously from left to right. But I'm not sure if that was ok, or if I'd basically abandoned the exercise.

To add to my confusion, the qigong systems I'd already learned have a lot spontaneous qigong, to the point where (before any FP practice) if I just stand up straight and relax I will start swaying. So I was afraid that I'd be wrongly allowing that to spill over into my FP practice (when in reality you and the others in this thread meant something else by spontaneous/involuntary movements).

Should I give in to the impulse to move? Or should I try to be as still as I can unless my body forces me to move?

Would greatly appreciate your guidance on this. Thanks.

Hi Daokedao:

... I'm not sure how much I should let go during the meditations before it's too much. For example, when doing the "50 10 50" seated meditation today, I decided to let go completely and my whole upper body started swaying vigorously from left to right. But I'm not sure if that was ok, or if I'd basically abandoned the exercise.

Let go completely, and let the vibratory, shaking, swaying states run their course.  They will always subside.

As I've stated many times throughout this thread:  let the vibratory, swaying, twisting, tossing states subside. Then experience the deep calm that follows.  That many, including myself, have described as BLISS.

FPCK puts no stress into the human system.  It only allows deep-seated stress and tensions to natural dissipate by vibrating out of the physical body.

If there's confusion, it's coming from your interpretation of your other spontaneous qigong practice.

What other Qigong methods have you practiced?

FPCK is complete and self-explanatory.  Just practice this system correctly and thoroughly...and you will ultimately be able to answer all your  questions about any type of Qigong that arise.

•  Don't fight against or try to repress the spontaneous vibrations that rise from FP practice.

Keep your feet still in the standing meditations like Monk Gazing At Moon, Monk Holding Peach, or Monk Holding Pearl.  But let any spontaneous vibratory states arise and run their course through any part of the body or through the whole body.

• If you're doing moving meditation such as the ones on Volume 3, or the Vol.4 Capstone meditation, do them as slowly and as smoothly as you can. When involuntary vibrations arise in the moving meditations, continue to do the form while you're vibrating!

CARRY ON!

Sifu Terry

terencedunn.substack.com

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 3

On 10/11/2023 at 1:16 PM, EternalStudent said:

I had a similar experience when I started. I felt like I needed to do as many meditations as possible. Then I switched to the recommended schedule of one standing/sitting meditation a day for 2 weeks and then adding on more. I’ve found that training schedule to be the most effective to me. So now I’m working on finishing up the intermediate/advanced meditations while doing one meditation a day. I’ve found that once you spend some time with Flying Phoenix, it doesn’t take much to activate the energy in your body. It’s like everything I’ve gained from the practice is contained within each exercise. 

Hello External Student:

Thanks for sharing your experience.

So now I’m working on finishing up the intermediate/advanced meditations while doing one meditation a day.

Great that you're worked your way up to the intermed. and advanced meditations at a comfortable, good steady pace.

I’ve found that once you spend some time with Flying Phoenix, it doesn’t take much to activate the energy in your body.  It’s like everything I’ve gained from the practice is contained within each exercise. 

YES!  and YES! – to these two statements.

If you don't mind:  Based on these two sentences, I now hereby officially rename you for intents and purposes on Daobums and elsewhere:  "Able_InternalStudent"!

Congratulationss!

Sifu Terry

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 2

On 10/10/2023 at 3:58 PM, centertime said:

I have been doing Monk Gazing at Moon more regularly and I noticed a vertical chi flow on both sides of the body...

The flow seems to start from the hands and go down the limbs... It is somewhat surprising outcome.. a new phenomenon I just have experienced for a week..  

Hi Centertime,

I noticed a vertical chi flow on both sides of the body...

That is quite normal and commonly reported experience.

Interesting

Question:  Do you feel this directional flow starting with the hands while you're looking straight ahead through your fingertips in Monk Gazing At Moon?  Or are you looking at your hands and then moving your eyes down the forearms and to teh upper arms,etc.?

It sounds like a basic stage.  How long have you been practicing FPCK, Centertime?  (I remember your screenname from past postings!)

• When you start feeling a tangible reserve in your system of the distinctive Flying Phoebix Healing Qi, that is a benchmark stage.

• Also, when you see the distinctive color of the FP Healing Qi while in eyes-closed meditation, that is a benchmark or threshold stage.

• And  when you experience the FP Healing Qi quality of  "jumping off" onto someone else, that is definitely a benchmark stage.

Enjoy, enjoy; explore, explore!

Sifu Terry

• Like 2