Fu_dog

Flying Phoenix Chi Kung

Hello daokedao,

Thank you for your comprehensive report at 2.5 months of the positive and enjoyable experiences you've had with FP Qigong byusing just the exercises on  Volumes 1 and 2.  Here are my responses to your specific statements and questions:

Hey everyone, I've been practicing Flying Phoenix for 2.5 months now, specifically DVD's 1 and 2. I'm absolutely addicted. I've already gotten significant benefits, like overall relaxation and clearing a cold really quickly without any medication.

• Yep, 2 to 3 months of regular practice of basic FP meditations taught on Vols. 1 and 2 will activate the body's self-healing faculties (induce allostasis).  And the shutting down of colds is one of the first noticeable effects of FP Qigong training.

Before FP, I practiced some other systems for about 4 years. They were also amazing, but I hit a plateau with my health and found my way to FP.  I'm still doing the other practices, but I've carved out big chunks of my day to just do FP.

• Having other Chinese holistic practices under your belt only supports and enhances the healing efficacy of FP Qigong.  It is very compatible with other healing Qigong systems.

I have a couple questions:

1) I am currently training in BJJ and MMA. Is it a bad idea to practice Flying Phoenix right before? Sifu Terry has touched on this before but I'm unclear on the specifics.

•  The key qualification in your question is "right before."    You can practice FP Qigong before you do BJJ and MMA, but NOT IMMEDIATELY before you practice them--because (A) it is unsafe, and (B)  FP Qigong energy does not and cannot fuel, or conduct, or actuate any type of martial intent.

(a)   One should NOT do FP Qigong immediately before combat training or real combat because FP is a purely healing and restorative Qigong  that puts you in a very sensitized auto-healing mode called allostasis.  And the longer you practice, the deeper this restorative process of allostasis becomes and the more sensitive your entire body becomes to everything in your environment.   If you suddenly switch to martial training or real combat of any type, your mind may want your body to fight, but your body will still be filled with the FP Healing Qi--which has a constant and lingering healing quality.   Plus, FP Healing Qi has the interesting characteristic that it cannot be moved or directed with martial intent.  And martial energy won't be mustered unless there's an imminent thread to life and limb that triggers your "fight or flight" reflex.

( I learned this at an early workshop I gave in 1997 in St. Paul, MN, where after the last session of a 3-day workshop, the students asked for a demonstration of the effects of Qi across a distance.  But I couldn't switch out of the FP Qigong's restorative mode ("rest, feed, and breed") and into combat mode ("fight or flight") because there was no imminent threat to my life and limb and I was still floating in deep self-healing bliss after leading 14 hours of FP practice.  So my attempt to instantly demonstrate the martial Qi failed.  Slightly embarrassed,  I explained on the fly that I needed to completely switch out of healing mode into martial mode.  so then  I did a quick breath control sequence from the Bat Dim Gum system (8 Sections of Energy Combined) to switch to martial mode, then tried it again.  And then it worked fine and raised all eyebrows in the room.)

•> Plus, if you somehow allow yourself to absorb blows while still in deep allostasis induced by FP Qigong, your vital energy system and your health can be severely damaged, as I've warned throughout this thread.•<

2) Is it significant if I don't get that many involuntary movements? While I occasionally get some minor jerking and twitching, it's nothing like the entire body gyrating like some people report in this thread.

• No, not significant at all.  Everybody responds differently to the FP Qigong healing energy.  Some vibrate a lot involuntarily;  others very little or not at all.  I had a very experienced martial artist named Mark Goblowsky  (who had a school) come to one of my early FP Qigong workshops in St. Paul, MN in 1997.  I noticed that he didn't vibrate much throughout the entire workshop.  And when I taught the workshop group a very advanced 10,000 Buddhas (standing) Meditation in the final session of the workshop, Mark did not vibrate one bit.  That told me that he was very well-trained and had very well-developed Qi circulation.

Since  you've been practicing FP for 2.5 months and devoting a "good chunk of time" each day to it, I would say that lack of involuntary vibratory states can indicate one of these two possible conditions:

(A)  that you are so well-practiced in Qigong, BJJ and MMA and have so little deep-seated tensions and time-bound pains in your body that there is no energy "blockages" to vibrate out of the system.

(B)   that you are so banged up from BJJ and MMA --plus life's very hard knocks--and are so loaded with tension encrusting your deeper pains in muscles, bones, nervous system, and organs, that it's only a matter of time and your regular daily FP Practice before that corporalized and repressed pain comes into awareness and is released.

Also, I found it fascinating how FP is so different from other types of qigong! A lot of crucial cornerstones of other practices don't seem to make any difference in my Flying Phoenix practice.

• Yes, in the entire universe of Qigong and of Yoga, FP Qigong demonstrably stands out as unique.  The yogic methodology of FP Qigong and all the Ehrmei Mtn. Bok Fu Pai internal arts  is different from all other Qigong methods and systems.  As stated many times before on this thread:  no visualizations whatsoever, no mental concentration on anything is required--other than doing the  percentage breath control sequences  correctly and then doing the concomitant posture or form correctly.

Anyways, I'm really glad I found this awesome qigong art and I'm excited to join the community.

•   Great that are enjoying this art and I hope that you'll discover its full range of benefits.  Welcome to the FPCK community. 

Also really thankful for how simple and clear Sifu Terry's instructions are on the DVDs and website.

• Thank you for this compliment.  I'm very pleased with how the DVD series--made in 2004--turned out.

Thanks for your good questions.

Sifu Terry

P.S. To see Mark's generous testimonial on FP Qigong, see the very last comment on this page of reviews on my website:

http://www.taichimania.com/CKFH_reviews.html

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 4

Hi Sifu Terry, I wanted to ask if you have ever heard of adhd being cured/healed by practicing Flying Phoenix Qigong.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Sifu Terry ,

I was they guy who introduced you to GM Doo Wai's San Gong meditations way back in 2018 , you mentioned if you released them on dvd you would send me a copy but I'm guessing you just teach it over skype now , any chance of seeing you perform the 10 meds ?

Hi Sifu Terry,

I was just wondering what your advice was in regards to FPCK and fasting. I currently practice 6 days a week and I've just started fasting on my day off. This seems to be working okay, but I'm considering increasing the fast to 2 days a week in future, would it still be alright to do some FPCK on a fasting day or should I leave it until the fast is over?

Many thanks,

Miffymog

p.s. I've never really had any brain washing sensations, but when doing Basic Warm Up 1 (5-60-80-40-30) as slowly as possible, I have sometimes felt as though there were two very small cogs intermeshing and rotating right in the center of my head (just in front of the pineal gland). But it was a really mild sensation :)

Edited by Miffymog
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi Sifu Terry,

Is it okay to practice Flying Phoenix Qigong with COVID19 ?. I tested positive this morning and was wondering if doing FFQ meditations would help recovery.

Thank you

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Beep said:

Hi Sifu Terry,

Is it okay to practice Flying Phoenix Qigong with COVID19 ?. I tested positive this morning and was wondering if doing FFQ meditations would help recovery.

Thank you

Hi Beep,

When I had covid I found that FP helped me recover. If you are bedbound do Monk Holds Pearl lying down. Also take these pills: Lianhua Qingwen. It will make you have a bad stomach but they help with covid symptoms.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Pak_Satrio said:

Hi Beep,

When I had covid I found that FP helped me recover. If you are bedbound do Monk Holds Pearl lying down. Also take these pills: Lianhua Qingwen. It will make you have a bad stomach but they help with covid symptoms.

Hi Pak_Satrio, 

Thank you , I will shall keep practising flying phoenix qigong still with COVID. I'm not bed bound since I rarely get sick, just some sharp muscle pains here and there  . I shall attempt monk hold pearls and some seated meditations and see if it goes well. 

5 hours ago, Beep said:

Hi Pak_Satrio, 

Thank you , I will shall keep practising flying phoenix qigong still with COVID. I'm not bed bound since I rarely get sick, just some sharp muscle pains here and there  . I shall attempt monk hold pearls and some seated meditations and see if it goes well. 

If you know the Long Form Sifu Terry recommends doing it 2 to 3 times in a row to help get rid of illness. Try those pills if your symptoms get worse. Hope you recover soon!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Miffymog said:

... as though there were two very small cogs intermeshing and rotating right in the center of my head (just in front of the pineal gland). But it was a really mild sensation ...

Sounds familiar, mine at times quite not-mild. Looking forward to an answer. :) 

Edited by Cobie
  • Like 1

Several years ago I probably wrote on this blog that in 2014 I suffered for a week with a virus that felt worse than any flu I ever had before or since then. A qigong master told me to get out of bed and do qigong for as many times as I could, and then my virus would be gone by the next day. So I then did qigong in segments totaling 3.5 hours and felt no relief. But when I woke up the next morning my body temperature was finally normal, I felt really good, and the virus was gone. So definitely do lots of Flying Phoenix when ill. That healing experience convinced me that qigong actually does improve health. It's not a panacea, but it does heal. 

Edited by tao stillness
mispelling
  • Like 4

Wondering about this too, ‘brainwashing’.

It can be difficult to understand each other when coming from different traditions, hard to connect with the terminology. I all of a sudden think I might know what ‘brainwashing’ is after all.

I now think it might be what I call ‘Free Flow’. That’s when it’s like my head is a space through which a river of energy flows from one side to the other, filling the whole space. Feeling like the energy comes flowing in from the outside, flows through my brain, and flows outside again on the other side. 

Does that to you in any way sound like  ‘brainwashing’ in your tradition?

Edited by Cobie

On 9/9/2023 at 5:50 PM, Learner said:

Hi Sifu Terry, I wanted to ask if you have ever heard of adhd being cured/healed by practicing Flying Phoenix Qigong.

Hi Learner,

For all the years that I've taught FP Qigong (since 1992), I have not had students who had a diagnosed form of ADHD until only last year.  I have one serious student who had ADHD as a child, who said he had typical symptoms of short attention span, constant tension, and profound restlessness, which all caused some learning difficulties throughout schooling.  Now 38 years old, he is extremely intelligent and well-read, versatile and hard-working, active in his community, but repeatedly frustrated in reaching  life goals during various stages of his life.  

His assessment of FP Qigong' effect on his generally tense comportment and behavior is extremely positive--and overlaps some of the primary benefits cited on this thread by other FP practitioners.  He started FP Qigong last fall at a workshop I gave in Catskill, NY, and says he's never found any regimen or meditative discipline that calms him down so quickly and reliably as FP Qigong--and also where the calmness continues for hours after practice.

I'll let you know if I get more info about FP Qigong benefits and ADHD.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Sifu Terry

www.taichimania.com/chikung_catalog.html

terencedunn.substack.com

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 2

On 9/12/2023 at 3:29 PM, Cobie said:

Wondering about this too, ‘brainwashing’.

It can be difficult to understand each other when coming from different traditions, hard to connect with the terminology. I all of a sudden think I might know what ‘brainwashing’ is after all.

I now think it might be what I call ‘Free Flow’. That’s when it’s like my head is a space through which a river of energy flows from one side to the other, filling the whole space. Feeling like the energy comes flowing in from the outside, flows through my brain, and flows outside again on the other side. 

Does that to you in any way sound like  ‘brainwashing’ in your tradition?

Hello Cobie,

Thanks for your question.

My Answer:  No.  What you described is not the commonly experienced tangible effect of FP Qigong in the head, according to hundreds of descriptions and accounts by FP practitioners of the energy phenomena they experienced while practicing both the standing and seated FP Qigong meditations.  More than 95%  reported more startling, deeper effects from doing the seated MSW meditations.  

Speaking  subjectively from my experience in this art since I learned it in 1991, the "washing" sensation in the brain is not from side to side nor is it a feeling of energy "flow" between one's headspace and the environment--i.e. between inner and outer, or self and environment.  But a profound slowly, gently roiling, thick sudsing, or "washing" sensation of all the matter inside the skull at the level of the eyes and above, that is thorough and balanced.  To date, FP's "washing" sensations are also the most blissful experiences that I have ever experienced in my life (--yes, even more blissful than great sexual intercourse with an equally healthy and high-spirited woman).

I also want to clarify language in describing this experience:   my teacher, GM Doo Wai, used the words, "a washing in the brain."   and also that FP Qigong "pushed back the energy of the head", as he pointed with his index finger to his hairline and moved it slowly back towards the crown of his head.  This was his way of stating how the FP Qigong activates the body's self-healing faculties.  I don't like to use the term "brainwashing" to describe FP Qigong's energy sensations in the head region obviously because of the word's most common meaning.

Also, for a good number of years now, I prefer to describe it more scientifically by naming the parts of the brain affected--i.e., specific brain centers such as frontal lobe, parietal lobe, temporal lobe, occiptal lobe/hindbrain, etc.

So I'd like to put it out to all FP practitioners who have experienced profound and moving energy sensations in the head during and after FP Qigong practice to post their experiences using the most precise scientific language that they can.  To learn the language of brain anatomy, just Google "parts of the brain" or what I searched under:  "lobes of the brain", "names of brain centers."

Johns Hopkins Medical School has a good page on brain anatomy and function:

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/anatomy-of-the-brain

'Looking forward to learning more about everyone's "head trips"!

Sifu Terry Dunn

P.S.  Also, I want to clearly differentiate my tangible experience of the Flying Phoenix Healing Qi from the energy transformations brought about my practice of Yang style Tai Chuan in the manner of Prof. Cheng Man-Ching, which I learned from late Masters Abraham Liu (1980-1992) and Benjamin Lo (13 consecutive summer retreats) and which I currently study under GM William C.C. Chen (since 2013).   FP Healing Qi is completely different "flavor" of vital energy that contrasts greatly against the "jing" cultivated through Tai Chi Chuan practice in that the former is lighter, purely healing energy that has an intelligence of its own, while the latter is an elastic-feeling martial energy, which has to be directed by one's shen.  The gradual cultivation of Tai Chi's jing through form practice and Tui-shou, or course, brings about Tai Chi's broad range of solid and clinically proven health benefits.  Tai Chi Chuan training is not without its high points and profundities, mind you:  after about 4-5 years of training with my first teaching, Gen. Abraham Liu, I was doing Tai Chi forms in L.A.'s Rancho Park when suddenly I felt like I was totally--100%-- electrified--like struck by a bolt of lightning, but with no pain or discomfort whatsoever.  I had no volitional control over my body.  I tried to move but my body wouldn't do my brain's and will's bidding.  I felt rather helpless and a total clutz in a weird way.  But I was totally "charged", full of sensation, and could feel everything around me--I mean everything in the environment.  I was standing wondering what was going on and couldn't take a step or move my arms more than a few inches. Then I became very self-conscious and worried that someone might see me in this slightly catatonic state and come mug me or something.  The filled-with-lightning sensation gradually subsided and I was back to my ol' self and normal functioning within about 4-5 minutes.  I later found out from my teacher that that was a normal benchmark in Tai Chi Chuan training.

Back to FP Qigong:   Another prominent distinction that differentiates FP Qigong from all other Qigong systems is that diligent regular practice--over many months, not years--will cultivate a healthy superabundance of FP Healing Qi that has powerful and unique restorative properties (and as I mentioned, an intelligence of its own) and that manifests in one's aura and internal/inward vision as a certain color--that can be and has been captured on film and video media.

terencedunn.substack.com

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 9/12/2023 at 9:05 AM, tao stillness said:

Several years ago I probably wrote on this blog that in 2014 I suffered for a week with a virus that felt worse than any flu I ever had before or since then. A qigong master told me to get out of bed and do qigong for as many times as I could, and then my virus would be gone by the next day. So I then did qigong in segments totaling 3.5 hours and felt no relief. But when I woke up the next morning my body temperature was finally normal, I felt really good, and the virus was gone. So definitely do lots of Flying Phoenix when ill. That healing experience convinced me that qigong actually does improve health. It's not a panacea, but it does heal. 

Hi Tao Stillness:

Thank you for your account of how qigong in general and how FP Qigong in particular accelerated your recovery from that viral infection that you said was worse than any flu you ever had.  I have not had a bad flu in many years--and not even a slight cold during my past 7 years back here in New England, including six very cold and snowy winters in western Massachusetts--so I can't give a testimonial about FPCK knocking down a bad flu.  And as for proving that FP Qigong significantly boosts immunity, without medical monitoring of a huge test sample and a control group, how do you prove that FP prevented something from happening?   But as I had posted several years back, during my first winter in Mass., I felt a very soggy cold coming on as I was exiting my car on a snowing-icy evening and I was able to nip it in the bud and extinguish it by doing 1/3 of the capstone FP Qigong Long Form Meditation (Vol.4).  (And I did the FP quick practice in a back corner of a TJ Maxx store, as I had written back then.)

I'm so glad to hear that you got fast-acting and thorough healing benefits from FP Qigong.

Thanks again for sharing.

Sifu Terry

terencedunn.substack.com

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Cobie said:

Hi Sifu Terry, Thank you very much for your reply, it’s much appreciated. :) 

You're welcome, Cobie.

The deep-healing effects of the FP Qigong only get deeper with more practice.  And over time, a tangible reserve of the distinctive FP Healing Qi will be created in the body.
Keep the FPCK community a informed of your thoughts about your FP-induced experiences.

Sifu Terry  

• Like 2

20 hours ago, zen-bear said:

Hi Learner,

For all the years that I've taught FP Qigong (since 1992), I have not had students who had a diagnosed form of ADHD until only last year.  I have one serious student who had ADHD as a child, who said he had typical symptoms of short attention span, constant tension, and profound restlessness, which all caused some learning difficulties throughout schooling.  Now 38 years old, he is extremely intelligent and well-read, versatile and hard-working, active in his community, but repeatedly frustrated in reaching  life goals during various stages of his life.  

His assessment of FP Qigong' effect on his generally tense comportment and behavior is extremely positive--and overlaps some of the primary benefits cited on this thread by other FP practitioners.  He started FP Qigong last fall at a workshop I gave in Catskill, NY, and says he's never found any regimen or meditative discipline that calms him down so quickly and reliably as FP Qigong--and also where the calmness continues for hours after practice.

I'll let you know if I get more info about FP Qigong benefits and ADHD.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Sifu Terry

terencedunn.substack.com

Thanks  for your answer Sifu Terry. I am at a period in my life where I am humbled down and I am very grateful to this forum through which I can reach you. Sifu Terry, You mentioned the man having positive experiences with FP Qigong. Is there any specific Vol of the series which he practices to calm down his mind?

• Like 2

On 9/15/2023 at 12:09 PM, Learner said:

Thanks  for your answer Sifu Terry. I am at a period in my life where I am humbled down and I am very grateful to this forum through which I can reach you. Sifu Terry, You mentioned the man having positive experiences with FP Qigong. Is there any specific Vol of the series which he practices to calm down his mind?

Hi Learner,

The person I mentioned in email is a beginner who came to 2 of my 3-day residential workshops last fall and who pratices mostly the meditations on Volumes 1 to 3.  Quick answer:  Do Volumes 1 and 2 for quieting the mind and calming the entire body.

The entire FP Qigong system and each and every exercise that comprises it is calming.  This is first brought about by the unique percentage breath-control formulas that are part of every meditation at the start.  Each one so thoroughly focuse the mind on one's breathing process that the mind is calmed through mild concentration.  Second, the tangible FP Healing Qi that's cultivated by the combination of breath control formula paired with a specific posture or pre-choreographed form--by some unknown and not yet scientifically researched mechanism--is purely healing,  purely relaxing and calming.

My experience--along with every FP practitioner I have taught in person or on Zoom or who has used my DVD series--is that FP Qigong imparts its wide range of health benefits--including sound and restful sleep--through its totally unique and (at present) mysterious calming effects.

But to answer your question:   if I was to select specific meditations that quickly bring about deeply calming effect, I would say these:

1.  All the exercises on Volume 1--but with special emphasis on the stationary ones:  Monk Holds Pearl,  Monk Holding Peach,  and Monk Gazing At Moon. 

And most effective for calmness:  Do Monk Holding Pearl in supine position--lying on your back on a comfortable surface like a thick rug or a bed.  This one meditation in supine position has been proven to induce calm and restoration in every class and workshop I've given since 1992.

2.  All of the Meditations on Volume 2--but with slightly more emphasis on the first 3  "warmup" meditations:   (5 60 80 40 30), (50  30  10), and (50 10 50).

**But even the last seated MSW meditation on Vol.2 (90 80 50 20) that will prevent sleep and keep one up for hours is calming!!

Again, in general, do everything on Volumes 1 and 2 to induce deep calmness.

Enjoy your practice.

Sifu Terry

P.S.  *  I INVITE ALL READERS TO COMMENT ON MY ANSWER ABOVE AND PLEASE SAY IF YOU AGREE OR DON'T AGREE AND IN EITHER CASE ELABORATE... *

terencedunn.substack.com

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/14/2023 at 4:43 PM, Cobie said:

Hi Sifu Terry, Thank you very much for your reply, it’s much appreciated. :) 

Hello Cobie and to all FP Qigong practitioners--especially beginners:

While reading an old compilation I made in 2019 of testimonials by FPCK subscribers posted from 2009 to 2013, I just happen to have come across this string of postings and exchanges in March of 2013 started by a post by alleswasderfallist in Germany on 3/5/2013 at 9:39 AM, that was nicely followed upon by Shiva Shakti with a detailed comment that is highly relevant guidance to getting a good start in FP Qigong and making good sense out of the "washing" energy sensation in the brain (starting with the frontal lobe) that is induced by the seated Monk Serves Wine meditations in Volume 2 and 7.  This sub-thread also nice addresses Learner's question about what FP Qigong meditations one should do to attain calmness, for the calmness comes in spades when one experiences what Shiva Shakti described as "Frontal Lobe Activation":

ShivaShakti

Posted March 2, 2013 (edited)

Frontal Lobe Activation.

So I digged (dug) just a little. It is apparent that the frontal lobes are being activated by

Flying Phoenix, especially in MSW. This is "mostly" noticeable in VOL 2, basic warm-up #

1, MSW # 1 and MSW #2. Though there are other portions of the brain being activated too. I can

feel a lot of pressure in my frontal lobes (like my brain being massage inside) when doing

those meds I mentioned. (understand I am currently at basic meds, so I can't say what vol 7

can do, but since it is "advanced" we know what to expect)

Frontal lobes is being tied to:

Object Permanence.

Proper Reasoning

Memory

Feel good

Concentration/Focus

Ability to see more of yourself (most people don't really see themselves) keep us grounded in the

present moment.

This should explain, why we are experiencing mental acuity, positive outlook in life, feeling

good in general, aside from other benefits.

Edited March 2, 2013 by ShivaShakti

ShivaShakti

Posted March 6, 2013 (edited)

On 3/5/2013 at 9:39 AM, alleswasderfallist said:

I thought about this post after I practiced last night. Maybe I didn't notice it before, but certain

meditations (I believe BTB and Pearl from volume 1) did seem to cause some sensations in my

frontal lobe area. I normally experience this more imprecisely as a general pleasant feeling in the

head. I'll report back to let you know if this happens more - perhaps I was just influenced by your

post to single out one area more than others.

Hi

Just wanted add something.

I just put frontal lobe info.. but I am certain, there are other lobes being activated by FP, especially

noticeable through MSW. Doing MSW, I can "literally" feel energy pressure moving in my brain,

like having a massage, inside my skull. I mostly notice this on my frontal lobes, but I can also feel

my other brain lobes, like in my parietal lobes, temporal lobes, occipital lobes.

At one point I experimented with VOL 2, warm-up # 1 (the seated Monk Gazing at the Moon) for

me to see if the hand movements affects the pleasant energy pressure in my head ( me doing

MGM, I feel a "waving" pressure energy in my left frontal lobe, and right frontal lobe). I did the 3

breaths, followed by breath percentage with my two hands in MGM posture, then after two

minutes, I begun to move my "left and right hands" inward and outward, like Sifu Terry instructed

on vol 2 DVD... I felt a pressure in my "left and right frontal lobes" (infact almost always I do feel

this by doing MGM). To start the experiment, I only begun to move "just my left hand" (the right

hand was kept still, on hold).. I immediately noticed that only my left lobe was only the one being

pressurized (cool I said). I kept turning my left hand inward-outward to see if it really does,

"consistently" affects my left frontal lobe, until satisfied. After that, I kept still my left hand, then I

was turning my right hand instead--as expected the right frontal lobe was being

pressurized/activated (while left frontal lobe inactive)

So in conclusion, by doing the hand posture movements, most seemingly move this waving

pressure energy in the brain, from lobe to lobe.I think this is what Sifu Terry is calling "washing

the brain"

This is just the warm-up med, it's not even MSW--where you can feel more of internal energy

movements in your brain, and to activated other lobes as well, (not just frontal lobes) .Flying

Phoenix and whole brain activation?

Edited March 6, 2013 by ShivaShakti

“Insight follows change; never precedes it”

ShivaShakti

Posted March 20, 2013 (edited)

Hey Eugene,

So you want to experience bliss...

Here's a tip that maybe you can follow. This is the way, I do it BTW.

Do Vol 2 in the morning, 5,60,80,40,30 and 90,50,40,30,10

take a good nutritious lunch, on the afternoon, 5,60,80,40,30 and 90,50,40,30,10, and

eat nutritious at dinner. Evening 5,60,80,40,30 and 50,40,30,10

Do all these meds, everyday. You may experience some bliss/feel good/good mood on the

third day. Even in the first day if you've done them correctly/properly.

Now do these meds real slow, meaning be so mindfully engage in your hand movements. pay

very close attention to your every movements. Now if you do this correctly/properly, you should

notice that your awareness is expanded! if not, you’re not really paying much attention.

Now what is expanded consciousness like, or feel like? in this mind state, you perceive more

"space", and so when you extend your arms, you can sense that your arms seems much longer"

(also when you raise your arms, they seems much higher). you don't need to visualize it, that your

limbs are longer, you will perceive it automatically when you really become that fully engage in

your hands movements and body sensations.

It this expanded state, you will also tend to enjoy your practice more, so longer hours tend to be

enjoyable rather than to bore you to death

This is my usual time periods

5,60,80,40,30 = 7 to 10 minutes

90,50,40,30,10 = 30 min

50,40,30,10 = 50 min to 1 hour (this meds have lots of movements, so it is taking longer)

90,80,50,20 = 30 min

All of what I have said, is also the key to having penetrating eyes and having to experience a

powerful personality change. also you can have insights.

Good luck to your FP practice and enjoy it!

***If you follow the prescription laid out by Shiva Shakti, you cannot go wrong with enjoying maximum benefits from the FP Qigong Seated MSW meditations (Vol.2 and 7)--with the caveat that you must do at the very least and equal amount of the standing FP Meditations on Volumes 1, 3, 4, and 5 and preferably at a ratio of  2:1--i.e., spend twice as much time and energy on the FP standing meditations as you do on the seated MSW meditations, YOU CANNOT GO WRONG and will be ELATED.  Again (I repeat this constantly), although the seated MSW meditations may seem more affective (you feel more energy in the upper body, hands, and head), the standing FP meditations are much more powerful healthwise to the whole human process.)

Enjoy,

Sifu Terry

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/9/2023 at 2:30 AM, zen-bear said:

Hello daokedao,

Thank you for your comprehensive report at 2.5 months of the positive and enjoyable experiences you've had with FP Qigong byusing just the exercises on  Volumes 1 and 2.  Here are my responses to your specific statements and questions:

Hey everyone, I've been practicing Flying Phoenix for 2.5 months now, specifically DVD's 1 and 2. I'm absolutely addicted. I've already gotten significant benefits, like overall relaxation and clearing a cold really quickly without any medication.

• Yep, 2 to 3 months of regular practice of basic FP meditations taught on Vols. 1 and 2 will activate the body's self-healing faculties (induce allostasis).  And the shutting down of colds is one of the first noticeable effects of FP Qigong training.

Before FP, I practiced some other systems for about 4 years. They were also amazing, but I hit a plateau with my health and found my way to FP.  I'm still doing the other practices, but I've carved out big chunks of my day to just do FP.

• Having other Chinese holistic practices under your belt only supports and enhances the healing efficacy of FP Qigong.  It is very compatible with other healing Qigong systems.

I have a couple questions:

1) I am currently training in BJJ and MMA. Is it a bad idea to practice Flying Phoenix right before? Sifu Terry has touched on this before but I'm unclear on the specifics.

•  The key qualification in your question is "right before."    You can practice FP Qigong before you do BJJ and MMA, but NOT IMMEDIATELY before you practice them--because (A) it is unsafe, and (B)  FP Qigong energy does not and cannot fuel, or conduct, or actuate any type of martial intent.

(a)   One should NOT do FP Qigong immediately before combat training or real combat because FP is a purely healing and restorative Qigong  that puts you in a very sensitized auto-healing mode called allostasis.  And the longer you practice, the deeper this restorative process of allostasis becomes and the more sensitive your entire body becomes to everything in your environment.   If you suddenly switch to martial training or real combat of any type, your mind may want your body to fight, but your body will still be filled with the FP Healing Qi--which has a constant and lingering healing quality.   Plus, FP Healing Qi has the interesting characteristic that it cannot be moved or directed with martial intent.  And martial energy won't be mustered unless there's an imminent thread to life and limb that triggers your "fight or flight" reflex.

( I learned this at an early workshop I gave in 1997 in St. Paul, MN, where after the last session of a 3-day workshop, the students asked for a demonstration of the effects of Qi across a distance.  But I couldn't switch out of the FP Qigong's restorative mode ("rest, feed, and breed") and into combat mode ("fight or flight") because there was no imminent threat to my life and limb and I was still floating in deep self-healing bliss after leading 14 hours of FP practice.  So my attempt to instantly demonstrate the martial Qi failed.  Slightly embarrassed,  I explained on the fly that I needed to completely switch out of healing mode into martial mode.  so then  I did a quick breath control sequence from the Bat Dim Gum system (8 Sections of Energy Combined) to switch to martial mode, then tried it again.  And then it worked fine and raised all eyebrows in the room.)

•> Plus, if you somehow allow yourself to absorb blows while still in deep allostasis induced by FP Qigong, your vital energy system and your health can be severely damaged, as I've warned throughout this thread.•<

2) Is it significant if I don't get that many involuntary movements? While I occasionally get some minor jerking and twitching, it's nothing like the entire body gyrating like some people report in this thread.

• No, not significant at all.  Everybody responds differently to the FP Qigong healing energy.  Some vibrate a lot involuntarily;  others very little or not at all.  I had a very experienced martial artist named Mark Goblowsky  (who had a school) come to one of my early FP Qigong workshops in St. Paul, MN in 1997.  I noticed that he didn't vibrate much throughout the entire workshop.  And when I taught the workshop group a very advanced 10,000 Buddhas (standing) Meditation in the final session of the workshop, Mark did not vibrate one bit.  That told me that he was very well-trained and had very well-developed Qi circulation.

Since  you've been practicing FP for 2.5 months and devoting a "good chunk of time" each day to it, I would say that lack of involuntary vibratory states can indicate one of these two possible conditions:

(A)  that you are so well-practiced in Qigong, BJJ and MMA and have so little deep-seated tensions and time-bound pains in your body that there is no energy "blockages" to vibrate out of the system.

(B)   that you are so banged up from BJJ and MMA --plus life's very hard knocks--and are so loaded with tension encrusting your deeper pains in muscles, bones, nervous system, and organs, that it's only a matter of time and your regular daily FP Practice before that corporalized and repressed pain comes into awareness and is released.

Also, I found it fascinating how FP is so different from other types of qigong! A lot of crucial cornerstones of other practices don't seem to make any difference in my Flying Phoenix practice.

• Yes, in the entire universe of Qigong and of Yoga, FP Qigong demonstrably stands out as unique.  The yogic methodology of FP Qigong and all the Ehrmei Mtn. Bok Fu Pai internal arts  is different from all other Qigong methods and systems.  As stated many times before on this thread:  no visualizations whatsoever, no mental concentration on anything is required--other than doing the  percentage breath control sequences  correctly and then doing the concomitant posture or form correctly.

Anyways, I'm really glad I found this awesome qigong art and I'm excited to join the community.

•   Great that are enjoying this art and I hope that you'll discover its full range of benefits.  Welcome to the FPCK community. 

Also really thankful for how simple and clear Sifu Terry's instructions are on the DVDs and website.

• Thank you for this compliment.  I'm very pleased with how the DVD series--made in 2004--turned out.

Thanks for your good questions.

Sifu Terry

P.S. To see Mark's generous testimonial on FP Qigong, see the very last comment on this page of reviews on my website:

http://www.taichimania.com/CKFH_reviews.html

Got it. For now I guess I'll just keep practicing! Thank you Sifu Terry.

(Sorry for the late response, had a pretty busy week)

Alex

• Like 2

On 9/11/2023 at 11:41 PM, Beep said:

Hi Sifu Terry,

Thank you

Hello Beep,

Yes, it is okay to practice FP Qigong only if you have the relatively mild Omicron variant of Covid.  But if you have an infection of the Delta variant or Alpha variant, then you should definitely consult with your western physician (an M.D.) before you begin any form of exercise...because of the fact that so many people died or suffered long-COVID symptoms from those earliest and more deadly variants.

I speak only from my personal experience of practicing FP Qigong while I had  the OMICRON variant of COVID-19 and am not hereby not rendering any form of medical advice:   I had caught in Jan. 2022 during the first leg of a flight from NYC to Chicago/O'Hare to LAX.  I had no symptoms other than the siightest tickle of a sore throat on the left side that was 1/4 the irritation level of any previous sore throats up that time in my life.  But this one persisted for 5-6 days.  I was doing lots of physical labor moving belongings into storage, and not sleeping enough.  So I thought the sore throat was just stress symptom from lack of sleep.  Finally, I did the FPCK Long Form slowly three times.  Halfway through the third round, I no felt anything irritation in my throat.  **I am NOT saying that FP Qigong is a reliable remedy for COVID.  But only that it can't hurt or exacerbate Covid. I am saying that I have very strong immunity because I've been practicing FP Qigong since 1991 (as well more advanced Bok Fu Pai Yogas) and also Tao Tan Pai Nei Kung since 1974, which is why, I believe, I experienced no Covid symptoms whatsoever other than the persistent minor irritation/tickle on the left side of the throat.  

As I had posted in early 2022, I decided to get tested for Covid  because 2 good friends I was staying with had tested positive.  So on a Sunday I went to the same PCF testing clinic they had gone to.  I tested positive (+).  But at that time I had no symptoms whatsoever.  Then six days later, I went to another good friend's Super-Bowl-watching party.  Because he's very well-off, he had all his guests take the most expensive Covid home test kits that money could by at the time before entering.  I tested Negative 3 times.

That's my long-winded way of stating:   (1)  Doing FP Qigong cannot hurt if you have Covid because it does not add any stress to the human process whatsoever.  It can possibly help with Covid symptoms as I had explained that that had happened in my case.

If you have a variety of Covid symptoms and one of them is lowered energy levels and fatigue, use FP Qigong very carefully and gingerly.  The second you feel any type of new stress or worsening symptom, stop.

Whatever you do, stick with the professional advice of your western degreed physician.

Hope you feel better and test negative soon.

Sifu Terry

terencedunn.substack.com

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, zen-bear said:

Hello Beep,

Yes, it is okay to practice FP Qigong only if you have the relatively mild Omicron variant of Covid.  But if you have an infection of the Delta variant or Alpha variant, then you should definitely consult with your western physician (an M.D.) before you begin any form of exercise...because of the fact that so many people died or suffered long-COVID symptoms from those earliest and more deadly variants.

I speak only from my personal experience of practicing FP Qigong while I had  the OMICRON variant of COVID-19 and am not hereby not rendering any form of medical advice:   I had caught in Jan. 2022 during the first leg of a flight from NYC to Chicago/O'Hare to LAX.  I had no symptoms other than the siightest tickle of a sore throat on the left side that was 1/4 the irritation level of any previous sore throats up that time in my life.  But this one persisted for 5-6 days.  I was doing lots of physical labor moving belongings into storage, and not sleeping enough.  So I thought the sore throat was just stress symptom from lack of sleep.  Finally, I did the FPCK Long Form slowly three times.  Halfway through the third round, I no felt anything irritation in my throat.  **I am NOT saying that FP Qigong is a reliable remedy for COVID.  But only that it can't hurt or exacerbate Covid. I am saying that I have very strong immunity because I've been practicing FP Qigong since 1991 (as well more advanced Bok Fu Pai Yogas) and also Tao Tan Pai Nei Kung since 1974, which is why, I believe, I experienced no Covid symptoms whatsoever other than the persistant minor irritation/tickler on the left side of my throat.  

As I had postd in early 2022, I got tested for Covid only because 2 good friends I was visiting had tested positive.  So on a Sunday I went to the same PCF testing clinic they went to.  I tested positive (+).  But at that time I had no symptoms whatsoever.  Then six days later, I went to a good friend's Super-Bowl watcing party.  Because he's very well-off, he had all his guests before entering take the most expensive Covid home test kit that money could by at the time.  I tested NEGATIVE 3 times.

That's my long-winded way of stating:   (1)  Doing FP Qigong cannot hurt if you have Covid because it does not add any stress to the human process whatsoever.  It can possibly help with Covid symptoms as I had explained that that had happened in my case.

If you have a variety of Covid symtoms, use FP Qigong very carefully and gingerly.  The second you feel any type of new stress or worsening symptom, stop.

Whatever you do, stick with the professional advice of your western degreed physician.

Hope you feel better and test negative soon.

Sifu Terry

terencedunn.substack.com

Thank you for telling me this Sifu, I have tested negative now thankfully.  I found that after the first few days of rest due to joint aches as a symptoms, doing Bending the bow and monk holds pearl helped me over come those joint aches quickly. This was because after practising those exercises,  most of my joint aches were gone the next day and I could get moving again.

Thank you again 

• Like 1

On 2/16/2021 at 1:17 AM, Vajra Fist said:

It's the third monk serves wine meditation on vol 2. A really nice one, I do every morning as part of my regular practice of three msw in a row. Sometimes with or without a sliver of ginger, depending if I'm fasting or not that day. 

It's actually my favourite of the three from vol 2. While msw2 has a mental cleansing quality (particularly where the hands move toward the third eye acupoint and up toward the sky), ms3 is very body-centric. The qi feels very thick around the hands, and when they come to rest on the knees, there's a quiet kind of electricity in the body. 

I don't get much from Msw1 and at the moment it feels like a bit of a warm up for the other two. I think I'm going to set my alarm for a bit earlier in the morning so I can get at least one of the seated warm up meds in before, and see if that helps activates the meditation. If not, ill try swapping it out for one of the msw exercises in vol 7, which I haven't explored too much yet (other than the sleeper).

Edit: curious to know which msw meditations everyone else enjoys most, and if they have any from vol 7 they'd strongly recommend.

@Vajra Fist May I ask what kind of cleansing do you mean by msw2. For me msw1 feels like the grand of all of them. And Vol7  feels like advanced stuff. Especially the third meditation feels like it activates the artistic side of the mind.

• Like 2

I would Rx from Vol. 7, the one that is the energizer which is the one we should not do before bed. I mistakenly did that one once late at night and it took hours for me to fall asleep. So that's a great one to start the day. As everyone who does Flying Phoenix Chi Kung already knows, there is no other qigong method that produces such a tangible, strong sensation of Qi. That's my experience after trying at least 100 different chi kung sets. Tai Chi guy Scott Meredith claims to feel "thunder Qi" from his methods, and claims that unless you feel that tremendous, strong flow of energy while doing tai chi, you are not getting much out of doing tai chi other than performing a nice looking dance. I did not try his methods long enough to feel anything from them. 

I keep intending to go back to doing Flying Phoenix but the time requirement is a barrier due to my increased duties raising young foster children during retirement. Busier now than when I was employed.

• Like 4