Fu_dog

Flying Phoenix Chi Kung

2 hours ago, BluePhoenix133 said:

Years ago when i was more virtuous, which is probably why this happened, i practiced all of DVD1 and when i was on the final meditation ''wind above the clouds'' some energy built up in front of my face  and moved to my left jaw which is stiff and cracks allot as if it knew to go there to heal it.

I never thought about it but i guess it really was like a cloud of energy, the only other time i recall some really strong energy appear relatively far away from my body was during the first meditation on dvd 2 the 5 60 80 40 30 meditation... for some reason i find that meditation uncomfortable to practice, that time i felt energy appear in front of my right hand like a flame.

Interesting, I sometimes feel some sort of snake or worm like energy in my back during MSW2, either crawling up or down

• Like 1

Sometimes when I am practicing my eyes water. Does this happen to anyone else?

It mostly occurs when I am moving my hands up and down, similar to the Tai Chi opening.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, the fool said:

Sometimes when I am practicing my eyes water. Does this happen to anyone else?

It mostly occurs when I am moving my hands up and down, similar to the Tai Chi opening.

I pretty much always get the increased production of saliva, for me its almost a confirmatory sign that I'm going in the right direction.

But I've never had a watery eye from the practice, although it kind of laps in that it's a gland producing more fluid?

On 1/27/2023 at 4:24 AM, a5a5a9 said:

Is there a downloadable version of the FP DVD?  I do not live in the U.S .

On 1/27/2023 at 4:40 AM, ChiDragon said:

You can watch it here.

No. There was an announcement a while back that the series will not be available digitally as decided by Sifu Terry.

This video is not the DVD. It's just a demonstration of the long form, and does not include the breath control sequence.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Earl Grey said:

No. There was an announcement a while back that the series will not be available digitally as decided by Sifu Terry.

Is that decision permanent?

4 hours ago, EFreethought said:

Is that decision permanent?

You'll have to ask him as he had temporarily made them available digitally very briefly, but then decided upon consultation of the I-Ching that it was not in his best interests...so he stuck with DVDs for now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not sure really what to ask here, i guess i want to know more about kuan yin because for the first time i years i saw a woman wearing white standing on lotus in my minds eye whilst i was meditating and i remember others also mentioned something similar.

• Like 1

This sounds like a valid experience since I personally have friends who have had similar experiences with Bodhisattva sightings.

When I gave my wife her first Oneness Blessing she reported seeing a woman dressed in ancient Chinese attire. Our medical clairvoyant later told us that my wife had seen the goddess Tara during that experience and it had way more importance than it having anything to do with Buddhist belief about Tara. Tara then demonstrated a qigong form for my wife, who at that time, had never seen any qigong. I was rather envious. 

Then a good friend of mine had his sister attend a Oneness Blessing event for the first time, and she saw Kwan Yin floating on a cloud. Kwan Yin then instructed her in a qigong form. This woman had no prior experience in qigong.  

Edited by tao stillness
additional information recalled.
  • Like 3

wow well my experiences were no where near that profound, just in my minds eyes, didn't have her actually standing in front of me or anything although perhaps you did not mean that.

You have caught my interest with this oneness blessing, first time reading/hearing about it.

Also it confuses me is Tara and Kwan Yin the same being, they look different.

• Like 1

On 3/22/2023 at 10:59 PM, BluePhoenix133 said:

Not sure really what to ask here, i guess i want to know more about kuan yin because for the first time i years i saw a woman wearing white standing on lotus in my minds eye whilst i was meditating and i remember others also mentioned something similar.

My experience with Kuan Yin is after a few months of practicing Flying Phoenix I had laser eye surgery for my extremely bad eyesight. The doctor said I would probably still need glasses after surgery because they can only restore around 10 prescription points and my prescription was -12. After surgery when I went for my check up the doctor was in shock because it never happened that they had a surgery go far better than predicted. Around a week later they asked me to come back to do more tests and confirmed that my eyesight was nearly perfect, no need for glasses at all. After the check up when I went to the lobby, all the TVs had a statue of Kuan Yin. I don't think this is just a coincidence as many people in this thread have had some interaction with Kuan Yin in some form. However apart from this I haven't had any visions of her while meditating.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

The avatar of the Golden Age Movement teaches that there are no coincidences, there are only miracles. Kwan Yin sighting on TV after restored eye sight, that is quite a miracle and rather poetic. 

• Like 5

20 hours ago, tao stillness said:

The avatar of the Golden Age Movement teaches that there are no coincidences, there are only miracles. Kwan Yin sighting on TV after restored eye sight, that is quite a miracle and rather poetic. 

Very interesting. I feel like I should make a shrine to her in my house. Since then I’ve felt a bit of affinity to her.

• Like 4

On 1/26/2023 at 3:24 PM, a5a5a9 said:

Is there a downloadable version of the FP DVD?  I do not live in the U.S .

Hello a5a5a9,

In what country do you reside?  My company has been shipping all the programs in my catalog (see www.taichimania.com) since 1985 in VHS cassettes --before internet when I used to advertise in Yoga Journal,  Inside Kung Fu Magazine- and Karate Kung Fu Illustrated. I didn't go to DVDs until about 2001.  Today we can ship to practically any country in the world,  except we couldn't get product delivered to China, ironically enough.

As I explained earlier on this thread:  after consulting with media consultants, top executives in the entertainment industry, lawyers, and a lot of other friends in the media business, I decided in the early part of last year that the risk of piracy and counterfeiting in this digital age was just too great to have do digital downloads of mp4 copies of my programs.  The cost to ship my CKFH DVDs to any part of the world is not prohibitive--given the immeasurable if not comparable health benefits that FP Qigong practice provides.  And a new DVD player with USB input costs $19 to $30 on Amazon. 

I plan to produce and distribute more advanced levels of FP Qigong on DVD format.   These future DVD programs  that teach more advanced and dangerous levels will only teach the movements and choreography.  For the all-essential breath-control formulas in advanced meditations can only be taught safely once the student has demonstrated proficiency in the forms--PLUS has demonstrated an aptitude in using the FP Qi for healing others.  That's how the Bok Fu Pai tradition works --as well as other complete  Chinese systems of hygienics.

Sifu Terry Dunn

Zoom classes:   terencedunn.substack.com
Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, zen-bear said:

I plan to produce and distribute more advanced levels of FP Qigong on DVD format.   These future DVD programs  that teach more advanced and dangerous levels will only teach the movements and choreography.  For the all-essential breath-control formulas in advanced meditations can only be taught safely once the student has demonstrated proficiency in the forms--PLUS has demonstrated an aptitude in using the FP Qi for healing others.  That's how the Bok Fu Pai tradition works --as well as other complete  Chinese systems of hygienics.

This is amazing news! I can’t wait to learn

• Like 2

Hi Sifu Terry,

Hope you are well! I’m currently suffering from a bad cold which has cause me to lose my sense of smell. I can only smell some really really strong odours at the moment, however I am physically fine and functional with everything else, probably thanks to FP. Is there anything FP related (or others) that might help me regain my sense of smell quickly?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Pak_Satrio said:

Hi Sifu Terry,

Hope you are well! I’m currently suffering from a bad cold which has cause me to lose my sense of smell. I can only smell some really really strong odours at the moment, however I am physically fine and functional with everything else, probably thanks to FP. Is there anything FP related (or others) that might help me regain my sense of smell quickly?

Hi Pak_Satrio,

I'm sorry you caught a cold and lost your sense of smell.  Do make sure it's related to just a cold and is not a Covid symptom.  As a chef, I understand how critical it is to get you sense of smell back in working order.

I thought about FP meditations that would restore sense of smell.  But one has always to know that FP Qigong induces allostasis of the entire human body.  Therefore the nose would be cleared optimally--and sometimes wonderfully --by doing the most powerful meditation of the FP system, which is the Long From Standing Med.( Vol.4).

Try doing the LF moving meditation 2x in a row.  If you haven't memorized it yet, work with the DVD,  learn the choreography, and be able to do it with eyes closed.   If you don't have it yet memorized, the next best thing is to do the breath control formula (90 60  5  50  40), and then do the movements following one of my Youtube video demo's of the form --with your eyelids more than half-lowered.  Calmly squint and follow the form 2x with breathing.

As I had mentioned on the FPCK thread about 4-5 years ago, it was my first or 2nd winter in the Berkshires of western Massachusetts.   I was just getting out of my car on a cold and snowy afternoon in Pittsfield, MA and about to go into a department store in a suburban mall when I suddenly felt a cold or flu coming on.  My whole head was congested, my nose was stuffy and running, I could even feel pressure behind my eyes, and I said,  "Aw shit."    So I go into this TJ Maxx store and went to the far back left corner of the store where the candles were and after looking left and right and still feeling self-conscious, I discreetly did the breath-control formula for the Long Form and then slowly (and boldly) did the first 15 moves of that meditation slowly, opening my eyes occasionally . And by the time my arms lowered on that 15th movement, my head was completely clear.  I had no more stuffy nose, my eyes were no longer wet, everything was dry, and I was arm all over.  You want to talk about "mindfulness" and mental concentration?  I was focussed on nothing but getting rid of the cold every  second from the moment I first felt the symptoms as I got out of my car--even though I no idea if FP Qigong would do the trick.  But I did have faith in  what GM Doo Wai had told us all FP Qigong could do.  Fortunately, it worked.  Now how much was due to my roughly 27 years of FP practice (1991 to 2018) and the tangible reserve of the FP Qi I knew I had in my system, and how much was due solely to doing that much of the Long Form Med.  once I was inside the store--I can't tell you.  And also how much was due to the fact that I caught the cold or flu--just as it was coming on--i.e., nipped it in the bud--I also can't say.  Catching it that early might have been a key success factor.

That was 5 winters ago  All I can do is give you my advice based on my experience with the FP Qigong art.  Thus my best recommendation to get over your cold symptoms and recover your normal sense of smell is to do the Long Form standing med. 2x or 3x, if possible.  If you don't have the LF memorized, then I would suggest doing FP Qigong standing meds. in Volume 1 and 3 for at least a solid hour. 90 minutes or 2 hrs. is even better.

Let me know how it goes.  I hope that you--as well as other cold sufferers out there--will share your results should you try to cure your toxemia with FP Qigong.   [ "All colds are toxemia," taught my favorite teacher of Taoist arts, the late ven. John Davidson, who was my da-sihing in the 1970's and early 80's in Tao Tan Pai ("Taoist Elixir Method") Kung Fu tradition and the senior student of Taoist priest Share K. Lew at the Los Angeles Taoist Sanctuary.]

Happy Ramadan observance (if that's how you say it),

Sifu Terry

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 2

On 2/5/2023 at 11:55 AM, BluePhoenix133 said:

Hello, been a while... i am going to try and hold flying phoenix classes in my local village, i remember earl grey saying that is ok as long as i don't charge. I was thinking of buying a camera to film my practice and perhaps upload it to YouTube so forum members could watch if they so wished.

If needed i can make it only available with a password, either way i wont be teaching the breath percentage or explaining what i am doing just going through the motions so to speak.

I spoke to a local tai chi practitioner who said of course it would be preferable if i ... well i will just show you the email i recieved, he pointed out that i bastardized the word chi kung with qi gong to make chi gong. I was wondering exactly what the difference is between the words, i would prefer to say qigong personally.

I don't recall regulating the mind being mentioned for practicing flying phoenix... apart from doing it somewhere quiet where you cannot be disturbed.

Hi Richard,

Sorry to take this long to get to your question about your friend the Tai Chi practitioner's advice.

Overall, your friend's  advice is good and correct for learning Tai Chi Chuan...and reflects that he has good level in the art.  But some of his statements do not apply to Flying Phoenix Qigong this art is not  Tai Chi.  Two big differences:   FP regulates the breath and the mind using a yogic methodology that is totally unrelated to Tai Chi--e.g., (A)  regulating the breathe using each FP meditation's unique breath-control formula involving a series of "percentage exhalations", and

(B)  regulating the mind by doing the meditations with eyes closed at a speed 3x slower than typical Tai Chi form speed.  How much more different than Tai Chi can you get with respect to regulating the breathe and regulating the mind?!!!
What FP Qigong does have in common with Tai Chi Chuan is the essential Monk Gazing At Moon posture, which is a Wuji (Wu Chi) posture (that's also identical to one of the 9 Sum-I or I-Chuan postures, btw),  the Monk Holding the Pearl posture (that's also a Wuji posture), and in the seated preparatory meditation on Vol.2 with breath control sequence (5% 60 80 40 30), which very effectively  "flexes" the upper body Wuji posture.

As a striking example of how different Flying Phoenix Qigong is compared to Tai Chi, one can simply view my recent Youtube video in which I demonstrate  12 of the 24 seated Monk Serves Wine Meditations of the FP Qigong system.  To video has a quick overview of  FP Standing meditations "Monk Holding the Peach" and "Bending the Bows"  starting at ( 26:00).   Then (at 30:00) you get to see a very powerful meditation the from a Bok Fu Pai sister art called "10,000 Buddhas Ascend To Heaven" (Wan Fuo Shang Tien), which consists a total of 54 meditations organized into 3 sets of 18:

My responses to your friend's statements about Tai Chi:

If you want to teach you must make sure you know the subject well. starting with the spelling of the subject it is either Qigong or Chi Kung - it is semantic but you won’t be impressing potential students by getting it wrong.
Chinese sounds are transcribed into a Latin alphabet using systems of romanizationsPre-communist China, the romanization system was Wade-Giles, which spelled it "Chi Kung"  and gongfu as "Kung Fu", which, of course, is still in use today.  Since 1958, China officially adopted the pinyin romanization, which spells Chi Kung "Qigong"  or "qi gong".  Both are correct, although pinyin is form is more commonly used today.  So you did mangle the two romanizations to get chi gong.

In order to be called qigong the art must involve 3 basic ingredients: it must aim to Regulate the Posture (why I mentioned this earlier. It is not enough to assume you know the posture. It takes many years of being corrected and most serious students will have a mentor making adjustments for decades) Regulate the breath & Regulate the mind.

Correct in that all authentic qigong arts have 3 functional aspects that "regulated":     "Xing" =  Shape/form of the body or what your friend calls "posture";  Yi or I = mind, mental activity, or mental focus;    "Qi"  or "Chi" = Breathing method that effects the energy of the body. 
Every authentic and legitimate Qigong art has a unique way of regulating each of these 3 aspects:  the shape/form of the body, the breathe, and the mind.  FP Qigong, of course, regulates the body starting with "Monk Gazing At Moon" posture, which is fundamental to the entire system. 
If you've practiced FP Qigong to my DVD series, then you already know that FP Qigong regulates with its powerful and ingenious breath-control formulas involving 3 up to 5 percentage exhalations alternating with full breathes.  (More Advanced FP Qigong Meditations and Exercises in other Bok Fu Pa internal arts have up to 8 percentage exhalations.)

*** However, FP's powerful breath-control formulas induce such deep mind-body integration that once you hold the essential Wuji-equivalent posture of "Monk Gazing At Moon", just holding this posture for 10 minutes or longer on a regular basis will enable you to correct your own posture subconsciously--i.e., your body will simply instinctively over time assume the optimal MGM form.  This is an aspect of why FP Qigong that makes the system so effective and fast-acting:  it "auto-corrects" .  That's why I put out the DVD series in 2004--because I knew that this Qigong can be quickly and effectively learned and practiced without a master like myself standing next to you making adjustments.
• This rare "auto-correct" quality of FP Qigong does NOT exist in the other Taoist monastic Qigong system I teach, Taoist Elixir Method.  Every level of TEM requires in-person instruction and correction.
• This "auto-correct" feature also does NOT exist in Tai Chi Chuan, until one has mastered  all of Tai Chi's form principles, which takes a very long time--at least 15 years of intensive training under superior instruction.

Regulating the Mind:   Again, FP Qigong regulates the mind through its moving meditations done with eyes closed AND at a speed 3x slower than typical Tai Chi form speed, as I demonstrate here in this video of "Moonbeam Splashes on the Water" (especially at 3:30):

**PLUS:  FP Qigong is absolutely unique and extraordinary amongst all Qigong arts because once you are in a particular FP Qigong exercise's posture and have performed the corresponding breath control formula, you can engage in any type of mentation--you can think about anything that you can imagine.  That is, your mind can be anywhere doing anything;  NO VISUALIZATION OF ANY SORT IS REQUIRED IN FP QIGONG.   And yet you will derive the same health benefits as anybody else who has performed the posture and breath control formula correctly.

One could also add Regulate the Qi and Regulate the Shen (spirit) 
Each FP exercise and the system as a whole regulates the Qi and cultivates it to a profound and super-normal level, building a tangible "reserve" of the FP Healing Qi.

Each FP meditation and the system as a whole very effectively regulates the Shen (the purely speculative aspect of action)--especially through the ALL of its moving meditations done with the eyes closed.  

Cultivation of the Shen (defined as "spirit")--so that upon death one's spirit rises as a Shen instead of sinking as a "Kwei" to become earthbound or bound to lower realms, depends on one's self-purification and karmic attainments as mapped out in Taoism, Buddhism and the world's other  Gnostic religions--including the ancient and sadly eradicated Catharism, btw.

Spiritual development is a function of the one's actions in this lifetime --i.e., your doings and the either good or bad karma that your "doings" create...and is not exclusively dependent upon a "transmission" from a master of this yoga or that spiritual tradition.  I have seen renegade priests of eastern and western orders, including a very famous Indian "holy man" whose name I won't mention here, plus one most highly cultivated Tai Chi Chuan master--with all their received "transmissions"--go straight to hell for their actions that I witnessed.

As I mentioned previously one needs direct transmission to understand posture correctly- one cannot do this from dvds/online forums. If you don’t address this most important issue you will forever be faking it. 
That is generally true of Tai Chi Chuan postures.  If one has mastery of Tai Chi Chuan, then one can advance in FP Qigong most readily and easily--because the two arts have  similar fundamental "Xing" -- the shape form of the body.  FP's "Monk Gazing At Moon" posture (without the breathing formula) is a Wuji posture that directly translates to Tai Chi.  But that is all that is similar between FP Qigong and Tai Chi.  The breathe regulation and mind regulation of these two respective arts are world's apart.

The meditational and breath work, guiding and leading Qi etc are easier to pass on. Just requires perseverance. 
This statement can apply to FP Qigong.   FP's "breathe work" amounts to practicing each of the unique breath-control formulas ascribed by the ancients to each meditation.  In the first level of FP Qigong, 37 different breathe-control formulas for 37 different meditations (24 seated "Monk Serves wine" meds.;  3 seated preparatory meds.; 10 standing meds.).

**All that said, if one wants to teach FP Qigong beyond sharing the DVD programs, one must be certified and initiated into the lineage.  For certification, one must demonstrate:
(1)   proficiency in the entire basic system that is taught in the 6-part DVD series, and then
(2)  demonstrate proficiency in the Advanced Standing FP Meditations (there are 9) that can only be learned  from yours truly.  (The Advanced FP Standing Meditations have not been published and never will because they are too dangerous should they fall into the hands of the profane and spiritually unfit).
(3)   Most importantly, one must learn how the Bok Fu Pai / Flying Phoenix manner of energy healing that includes practical knowledge of:
        (a)  Tui-Na Acupressure and
        (b)  our BFP system of herbology--which is a vast pharmacopoeia.  
--that would enable one to heal most martial arts injuries on the spot, as well as develop sound hygienic regimes and holistic health counseling to address specific chronic diseases as they present themselves.

Learning how to heal others using the FP Healing Qi (which is its sole purpose and functionality once one has fully healed and empowered oneself with it)  depends on:   
(1)  one's quality of FP Qigong practice;  
(2)  one's perseverance in the art to learn the advanced levels, the Tui-Na acupressure, and the Bok Fu Pai herbology; 
(3)  one's natural predilection to do healing; 
(4)  one's experience in this life with holistic healing prior to starting FP Qigong;
(5)  one's karma with respect to all of #1-#4 above--that would ultimately enable one to tap into the macrocosmic Flying Phoenix Energy channel, or "Trunk" --as Grandmaster Doo Wai called it.

• Proficiency in Flying Phoenix energy healing would also include healing a person of severe energy sickness caused by an  internal energy blow or by a more sophisticated form of martial Qigong.

My requirements of certifying one able to teach FP Qigong are high and stringent because one has to be able to deal with the energy sickness brought on by a beginner or a dufus who does the breath-control formula incorrectly and doesn't stop immediately but continues-- or mixes and mismatches one FP Meditation's unique breath-control formula to another Exercise.  As I warned earlier years of this thread, messing up the breathing formulas will do the opposite of "regulate the breathe" and cause damage to the internal energy system of the body that will manifest disease symptoms that  western medicine may not be able to remedy--or find an etiology. 

Without naming a name, I can attest to witnessing someone who had done certain advanced Bok Fu Pai Qigong exercises quite improperly in the early 1990's and wound up developing brain lesions--bleeding of the brain severe enough to cause constant loss of equilibrium and black outs.  But when the neurosurgeons opened his skullcap and to try to stop the bleeding that showed up on the MRI scans multiple times, they didn't find anything, even though the person was still regularly blacking out and fainting. 

Thus, I will end this summary about how FP Qigong regulates posture ("xing"), breathing ("Qi"), and mind ("Yi" or "I") and the requirements for  an FP Qigong Instructor's Certification with this fair warning--and repeated strong admonition--that one must be VERY CAREFUL, PRECISE  and ACCURATE in doing breathe control formulas for each and every FP Qigong meditation.

Sifu Terence Dunn

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 3

Hello to All,

As a custom, I don't normally post  video clips of other masters demonstrating other styles of Qigong except for the ones that I am involved in, such as FP Qigong and Taoist Elixir Method, or any of FP Qigong's sister arts underneath the Ehrmei Mtn. Bok Fu Pai "umbrella" such as Sunn-Yi Gung and other arts taught by my Sihing/classmate, Sifu Garry Hearfield, in Austrailia.  But I'm making an exception here by posting this  video that was recently shown to me by a friend and Tai Chi teacher (of a different style)  who had taken classes with  Master Hong Yang out west.  Master Yang is in the direct lineage of the third generation master grandmaster, Yang Cheng-Fu (1883–1936).º

I don't know what style of Qigong Master/Madame Yang is doing here, and the Youtube page doesn't disclose it.  But she is quite masterful and her level is very advanced as seen in this video.  The quality of her movements in this form are such that I know she can unbalance someone with barely a touch or perhaps even without a touch. 

Although our FP breath-control sequences all work to envelope you in the deep and relaxed parasympathetic "tone", study this video to intuit how to further refine your movements and deepen your calmness to attain "At-Onement."

Enjoy.

Sifu Terry

Footnote º  ––   Over the past 43 years, I have studied 24 years (and counting) under 3 senior students of Prof. Cheng Man-Ching from Taiwan (the late masters Abraham Liu and Benjamin Lo, and currently with GM William C.C. Chen).  Prof. Cheng was Yang Cheng Fu's last student in China who attained high mastery.

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 3/24/2023 at 11:09 AM, Pak_Satrio said:

My experience with Kuan Yin is after a few months of practicing Flying Phoenix I had laser eye surgery for my extremely bad eyesight. The doctor said I would probably still need glasses after surgery because they can only restore around 10 prescription points and my prescription was -12. After surgery when I went for my check up the doctor was in shock because it never happened that they had a surgery go far better than predicted. Around a week later they asked me to come back to do more tests and confirmed that my eyesight was nearly perfect, no need for glasses at all. After the check up when I went to the lobby, all the TVs had a statue of Kuan Yin. I don't think this is just a coincidence as many people in this thread have had some interaction with Kuan Yin in some form. However apart from this I haven't had any visions of her while meditating.

Hi Pak_Satrio,

Know that you can be pro-active in envisioning and invoking Kuan Yin, which is what most of the Buddhist world and the non--religiously oppressed members of Chinese society does.

For everyone's general info:  Kuan Yin (Guanyin in pinyin) is a the East Asian representation of  Avalokiteśvara, a Buddhist diety seen in iconography as the attendant to the Budda to his right, who has 108 avatars.  Kuan Yin is the goddess of mercy and compassion, a bodhisattva venerated  not only in Chinese, Tibetan, Nepalese, and southeast Asian Buddhism, but also  throughout Chinese culture, folklore. and other religions.  Taoists and non-Taoists alike-- just all kinds of lay folk-- in Chinese communities around world worship Buddhist dieties, Taoist dieties (e.g., the  Taoist Immortals), Confucius and his disciples.  The general custom amongst many Chinese Buddhist cultures is for women to wear a likeness of or emblem of the Buddha and for men to wear likeness or talisman of Kuan Yin.

The sourcebook  on Guanyin that I like and recommend is this more recent one by John Blofeld:   

Bodhisattva of Compassion: The Mystical Tradition of Kuan Yin (Shambhala Classics)

https://www.amazon.com/Bodhisattva-Compassion-Mystical-Tradition-Shambhala/dp/1590307356/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2AHX7X3VIVO1X&keywords=Kuan+Yin+goddess+of+great+compassion&qid=1680299565&s=books&sprefix=kuan+yin+goddess+of+great+compassion%2Cstripbooks%2C80&sr=1-5

I had my first spontaneous experience of Kuan Yin in 1977 after I had finished college while I was living in Los Feliz in LA  and training intensively in Tao Tan Pai Nei Kung at the Taoist Sanctuary of Los Angeles.   One night, I saw her in dreamstate, standing beautifully serene like her representation in the alabaster statues.  All white/ivory in color.  Then she took the stemmed flower out of a narrow vase she was holding and tossed it towards me.  It tumbled through the ether a certain way (my secret) and then it landed in my open hands while i was lying supine, with my body and feet aligned towards her.  I was not praying to Kuan Yin specifically nor doing any invocative rituals, for I didn't know how to do either at that time of my life.

Over the years and in perfect hindsight  [--and thanks , Pak-Satrio for your post about Kuan Yin], I realize that this dream visitation by Kuan Yin was a great blessing and a prophecy:

Besides being blessed to be able to learn the FLying Phoenix Qigong from GM Doo Wai during a safe  window of time that lasted from 1991 through 1997,  I also learned from him the ultra-rare and shockingly powerful and  "Eight Sections fo Energy Combined Kung fu ("Bat Din Gum") that cultivates a purely destructive martial energy that conducts through organic matter like cotton and wood.   GM Doo Wai learned this ultra-rare martial art at the Kuan Yin Goddess of Mercy Buddhist Temple in Macau in the early 1960's when he traded the abbot of that temple some of his Bok Fu Pai Kung Fu for this art.  The only  known practitioners of this art besides yours truly are the monks at the Macau temple--assuming that the temple is still functioning.  During a training session in 1995 recorded GM Doo Wai telling me that when he was learning the BDG, he had witnessed the monks (plural) at this temple cracking large boulders with a piece of silk.  Thus GM Doo Wai  seriously quipped that 8 Sections Combined Kung Fu was "more rare than the DoDo Bird."   This is the 8th Section, the capstone form of the system, which contains elements from the previous 7 BDG kung fu forms:

https://www.facebook.com/100057842221650/videos/411458890390443

At any rate, Happy Channeling of Kuan Yin to all!

Sifu Terry

P.S.   There are many different types of prayers to Kuan Yin.  Early on in my life, right after I finished college, I found and instinctively starting using the "Dharani of Great Compassion" (below).  I would recite it in Sanskrit and in Chinese.  Even though I did know Sanskrit and had to read the English translation to know what I was saying.  I soon found that  reading/saying  Sanskrit prayers out loud regulates the breathing a certain way as mantric Yoga.  

Plus, the Dharani of Great Compassion is powerful--it's no wimpy, tea-and-sympathy  window-dressing for screw-ups.  Here is the English translation for a couple of the dharani's ending passages:

Awake. Awake.

Awakened. Awakened.

Merciful one. Blue Necked One!

Daring One. Joyous One!  Amen!

Successful one. Salutations!

Great successful one. Salutations!

Masterful. Creator. Salutations!

Blue Necked One. Salutations!

Boar faced! Salutations!

Powerful Lion Headed. Salutations!

Weapon Holder. Salutations!

Wheel holder. Salutations!

Lotus Holder. Salutations!

Blue Necked. All Causing! Salutations!

Beneficient One. Salutations!

Hail to the Three Treasures!

Hail noble Avalokita. Salutations!

• Here is is the Dharani in Sanksrit for anyone's use at your discretion:

Namo Ratna Trayaya.

Namah Arya Avalokitesvaraya

Bodhisattvaya Mahasattvaya Mahakarunikaya

Sarva Bandhana Chedana Karaya .

Sarva Bhava Samudram Sosana Karana.

Sarva Vyadhi Prasamana Karaya.

Sarva Mrtyu Upa-Drava Viansana Karana .

Sarva Bhaye Su Trana Karaya.

Tasmat Namas – Krtva Idam

Arya Avalokitesvara Bhastinam Nilakantha

Pi Nama Hrdayam Avarta Isyami

Sarvartha-sadhanam Subham Ajeyam

Sarva Bhutanam Bhava Marga Visuddhakam

Tadyatha, Om Aloke Aloka-mati Lokati Krante.

He Hare Arya Avalokitesvara

Maha bodhisattva , He Boddhisattva , He

Maha bodhisattva , He Virya Bodhisattva

He Mahakarunika Smara Hradayam.

Hi Hi , Hare Arya Avalokitesvara Mahesvara Parama

Maitra-Citta Mahakarunika.

Kuru Kuru Karman

Sadhaya Sadhaya Vidyam.

Ni Hi , Ni Hi Varnam Kamam-Game .

Vitta-Kama Vigama.

Siddha Yogesvara .

Dhuru Dhuru Viryanti, Maha Viryanti .

Dhara Dhara Dharendresvara.

Cala Cala Vimala Amala Murte

Arya Avalokitesvara Jina Krsna Jata-Makuta

Valam Ma Pra-Lamba Maha Siddha

Vidya dhara.Vara Vara Maha Vara .

Bala Bala Maha Bala.

Cala Cala Maha Cala

Krsna-Varna Nigha Krsna – Paksa Nirghatana.

He Padma-Hasta Cara Cara Desa

Caresvara Krsna –Sarpa Krta Yajnopavita

Ehyehi Maha Varaha-Mukha,Tripura-Dahanesvara

Narayana Va Rupa Vara Marga Ari .

He Nilakantha , He Mahakara ,

Hala hala Visa Nir-jita Lokasya.

Raga Visa Vinasana.

Dvesa Visa Vinasana.

Moha Visa Vinasana

Huru Huru Mala, Huru Huru Hare, Maha Padmanabha

Sara Sara , Sri Sri , Suru Suru ,

Bhu ruc Bhu ruc

Buddhiya Buddhiya , Boddhaya Boddhaya

Maitri Nilakantha Ehyehi Vama

Shitha Simha-Mukha Hasa Hasa,

Buddha Weekly Guanyin on the dragon BuddhismBeautiful mother Guanyin is one feminine aspect of Avalokiteshvara.

Munca Munca Mahattahasam Ehiyehi Pa

Maha Siddha Yogesvara

Bhana Bhana Vaco

Sadhaya Sadhaya Vidyam.

Smara Smaratam Bhagavantam Lokita

Vilokitam Lokesvaram Tathagatam Dadahi

Me Drasana Kamasya Darsanam

Pra-Hiadaya Mana Svaha.

Siddhaya Svaha.

Maha Siddhaya Svaha

Siddha Yogesvaraya Svaha

Nilakanthaya Svaha

Varaha-Mukhaya Svaha

Maha-dara Simha-Mukhaya Svaha

Siddha Vidyadharaya Svaha

Padma-Hastaya Svaha

Krsna-Sarpa Krta Yajnopavitaya Svaha

Maha Lakutadaharaya Svaha

Cakrayuddhaya Svaha

Sankha-Sabdani Bodhanaya Svaha

Vama Skandhadesa Shitha Krsnajinaya Svaha

Vyaghra-Carma Nivasanaya Svaha

Lokesvaraya Svaha

Sarva Siddhesvaraya Svaha

Namo Bhagavate Arya Avalokitesvaraya Bodhisattvaya

Maha Sattvaya Mahakarunikaya

Sidhyanthu Me Mantra-Padaya Svaha

Buddha Weekly mantra of avalokiteshvara Buddhism  Four-armed aspect of Chenrezig (Tibetan name of Kuan Yin)

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 4

"I BOUGHT INTO THE DEEPER CONNECTION." --KOBE BRYANT

This is a spontaneous  testimonial given by the late great Laker star Kobe Bryant about his personal practice of Tai Chi and  Flying Phoenix Qigong--and specifically, "Monk Gazing At Moon" that took place 22 years ago when I trained the L.A. Lakers  during their 2000-2001 NBA season.  For all non-basketball fans:  Kobe Bryant was the No.4 highest scorer in NBA history and holder of 8 other unparalleled records.  He died 3 years ago in a tragic helicopter crash in Calabasas, CA along with his daughter and seven other friends.

The following is copied from my recent Facebook posting and pasted here to confirm for all reading this thread that back in 2000-2001, I trained the L.A. Lakers in Tai Chi, Flying Phoenix Qigong, and basketball-related exercises that I designed for them:

22 years after I trained the L.A. Lakers in--Tai Chi and Qigong as their warmup regimen--during their 2nd World Championship season under Phil Jackson, this tongue-in-cheek acknowledgement by the late Kobe Bryant surfaced and found its way to me:

My friend and Qigong student Marcus de Mello just sent this link to me yesterday. It's of the late Kobe Bryant reminiscing about the Tai Chi and Qigong training that I provided the L.A. Lakers throughout their 2000-2001 season. No doubt that the phenomenal success of my Tai Chi For Health instructional videos (on VHS starting in 1991 and still top-selling in the genre today on DVD) made it easier for Phil Jackson to bring me as a specialized trainer (after his predecessor Del Harris's secretary, Chris Luken, showed him my proposal and videos that I had originally sent to Harris). Plus a lot was being written at the time in the college coaching journals about Tai Chi as an effective recovery regimen for basketball players. So for that Sept. 2000 to April 2001 season, the first 50 minutes of every home practice at the Health South center was spent with me teaching the players, coaching staff and trainers Tai Chi and restorative Qigong. As the season progressed, I necessarily added a lot more kung fu conditioning exercises (to burn off the intoxicants in their systems that they came in with every morning). I also created several ball-control and ball-takeaway exercises using simple Tai Chi body mechanics and martial arts footwork that Kobe's teammate, my man Shaq, especially liked.

*NOTE OF CORRECTION: Contrary to what Kobe quips in this interview, I NEVER had the players take off their shoes and go barefoot. As a matter of fact, I've never required that students in any of my classes take off their shoes--since I started teaching in 1983(!) LOL. The late Kobe just made that stuff up on the fly in this interview...to add atmosphere, I guess, to his story. But Kobe's overall recollection is correct: I did do all my morning trainings of the team at center court at Health South. And after the first few sessions, he did get into it. The whole team got with the program and Shaq, Mark Madsen, Greg Foster, Devean George, Mike Penberthy, and elder statesman Ron Harper (who came from the Bulls and was 36 yrs old at the time) really loved it.
Although this interview show didn't get a photo of me, but just grabbed stock footage of some guy in a robe (who, btw, doesn't do anything close to what I teach), Kobe does identify me as the Laker's Tai Chi trainer when he mentions by name the "Monk Gazing At Moon" exercise and does its hand posture somewhat correctly on camera. "Monk Gazing At the Moon" is one of 32 exercises in Ehrmei Mountain Flying Phoenix Qigong (Fei Feng San Gung), an extremely rare an esoteric system of Taoist monastic Qigong and hygienics--of which I am the sole living 7th generation preserver. Except Kobe got an important detail of this particular exercise all wrong in this interview: "Monk Gazing At Moon" is done with the eyes wide OPEN--not closed! For it says so in its name--LOL!! (It's not called, "Monk Gazing At the Moon Through Closed Eyelids"!!)

• Anyway, thank you, Kobe, for mentioning my Tai Chi and Qigong training during this interview--however loosely! And thank you, Marcus, for forwarding to me this bit of acknowledgment 22 years after the fact.

My training the Lakers in 2000-1 also started a trend in pro basketball. I was the first Tai Chi trainer in NBA history. My very good friend, Steve Saltman, was close friends since childhood with Ki Ki Vandeweghe, as their fathers played together for the Knicks. (Steve's father. "Shelly" Saltman, was president of the Lakers during the Jack Kent Cook days in the 60's. So when Steve told Ki Ki that I was training the Lakers in Tai Chi for warm-ups and for recovery from the sport's wear-and-tear , Ki Ki at that time had just become general manager of the Denver Nuggets after a 21-year career as a player and coach, and Ki Ki immediately went out and hired a Tai Chi master in the Denver area for his team.

Enjoy the read.  I hope it inspires you to practice more Monk Gazing At Moon and more FP Qigong because, well...

...it worked for the late great Kobe Bryant's game.

Sifu Terry

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 4
  • Wow 2

On 12/23/2022 at 2:12 PM, Lo2022 said:

Hi tao thanks for your response. I can see how it would be a more individual experience than anything. I’m curious—since you’ve tried so many other qigong methods, do you know if flying Phoenix helps increase one’s level of consciousness, intuition so one can make better choices in life, etc? That’s part of why I want to start a qigong practice—the emotional and spiritual benefits. If one wants to experience those side benefits should they take a workshop with terry or do a combination of exercises during practice? Thank you 

Hi Lo2022,

Further to my answer of last December to your question about making better decisions in life, which I'll refer to as "better executive function":

Please view the video that I just posted above of the late Kobe Bryant's comments about how FP Qigong and "Monk Gazing At Moon" in particular helped his concentration and enabled greater success in his basketball career.

He sums it all up by saying.  "I BOUGHT INTO THE DEEPER CONNECTION."

Interesting that it was the late Kobe Bryant who very aptly describes the positive-super integrative and grounding effect of FP Qigong.

Good luck,

Sifu Terry

http://www.taichimania.com/chikung_catalog.html

terencedunn.substack.com

Edited by zen-bear
  • Thanks 1

I was thinking of getting a Kuan Yin statue but non of the ones i have looked at are close enough to what i saw in my minds eye, i do however like this one and am considering buying it.... now if only i knew where to put it.

kuan yin statue.jpg

• Like 3