100 replies to this topic

#97 Rishi Das

Rishi Das

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 439 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 09:27 AM

To help to learn the squat position, if challenging, is to put a book under each heal so they raise just a little bit...

Make it an old book and be conscious of ripping pages/chapters out every couple days/weeks.

Great way to move oneself into a natural squat.

Also, squatty potty is another good brand for those needing assistance in the restroom.

https://www.squattyp...NtzwxoCcVnw_wcB

“May what I do flow from me like a river, no forcing and no holding back, the way it is with children.”- Rainer Maria Rilke

#98 Taomeow

Taomeow

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 6685 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 05:17 PM

What if you just ate dinner and need to go? is it okay to sit in a squat while the belly is being squeezed by your thighs?

Think of it this way.  The sitting toilet was first invented in the 16th century, wasn't accepted until the 19th century, and was unknown to the majority of the world population till a few decades ago, even though Westerners have been widely using it for about a hundred years, give or take.  The inventors of the sitting toilet were not men of medicine.  The rationale for their invention was that the sitting position is more dignified and should be adopted by the British colonists in order to set them apart in their elimination habits from the natives they ruled.  

We didn't evolve to do anything but squat when we need to go.  The new technology did eventually eliminate the normal natural body use we've evolved for the task, but the driving force behind these new developments had nothing to do with what's healthy for any organs (the sitting toilet happens to benefit none) and everything to do with turning a rather unhealthy idea of a "dignified" dump into a commercial enterprise of global profitability.  Scroll up the thread for those pictures they use to "reeducate" the Chinese right now.  This was done to Europeans and Americans a hundred years earlier, is all.        

We actually live in a world where fubar ideas turned into corporate profits supply an environment we take for granted that dictates to us how we use our bodies from birth to death, and most of those ways to use our bodies are physiologically insane.   

Edited by Taomeow, 21 January 2017 - 05:22 PM.

• cheya, bubbles, dust and 1 other said thanks

>^..^<

#99 Papayapple

Papayapple

Bam Bam

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 201 posts
  • Interests:J.S.Bach, Everything Electric, Classicism, also Freakin' Fractals!

Posted Yesterday, 06:27 AM

Taomeow

That's a great summary Taomeow.

Some say that our rectums are permanently deformed because of sitting on toilets since early age.

That's not so good, but I'm only wondering whether a sudden change to squatting won't cause some problems, just assay starting walking barefoot all the time(your feet won't take it).

On the other hand, mattresses were probably also "invented", or at least popularized some 100 years ago. And I think everybody would agree they work better than a bed of straw...

Same goes for lot's of other things.

About squatting: I practiced it about a year ago, after I've done a prolonged fast, and it was incredible(especially because I was on raw food and there was no need to wipe or clean whatsoever, not to mention there was no bad smell! Oh I miss that lol).

Now I have trouble deciding whether I should sacrifice my knees to promote good elimination. I can't squat!

Maybe bending over touch your knees with your chest while sitting is enough?

Cheers.

• Taomeow said thanks for this

Always keen on having a skype conversation in English with you about absolutely everything.

#100 Taomeow

Taomeow

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 6685 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:32 AM

That's a great summary Taomeow.

Some say that our rectums are permanently deformed because of sitting on toilets since early age.

That's not so good, but I'm only wondering whether a sudden change to squatting won't cause some problems, just assay starting walking barefoot all the time(your feet won't take it).

On the other hand, mattresses were probably also "invented", or at least popularized some 100 years ago. And I think everybody would agree they work better than a bed of straw...

Same goes for lot's of other things.

About squatting: I practiced it about a year ago, after I've done a prolonged fast, and it was incredible(especially because I was on raw food and there was no need to wipe or clean whatsoever, not to mention there was no bad smell! Oh I miss that lol).

Now I have trouble deciding whether I should sacrifice my knees to promote good elimination. I can't squat!

Maybe bending over touch your knees with your chest while sitting is enough?

Cheers.

A bed of straw is definitely better to sleep on than the mattress!  I've slept on straw tucked under the tarpaulin floor of a tent in the wild, and it was the best sleep of my life -- at one point (on dry clover hay that smells like paradise) everybody in our group pulled off between 14 and 18 hours of sleep in one stretch, the bodies seemed to be making up for all the sleep lost under "civilized" conditions.  There's a thread somewhere where I shared my quest for the perfect sleeping surface for the spine, qi, and so on, and although it is not a bed of straw I ultimately zeroed in on, it's most definitely not a mattress that causes your mingmen area to sag (leaking qi from the Gate of Life all through the night) and is the root of much back pain and bad postures (an epidemic). 

As for sacrificing the knees -- no, of course not, but I think higher up the thread it has been discussed.  You should never squat with your knees going past your toes, or in or out -- keep them smack over your ankles -- and you can practice (on flat surface for starters) as high as you can manage and squat lower gradually, the action is in the spine and the hip joints, not in the knees.  Do stuff to elongate your spine and open your hips for a good squat and leave the knees out of it, they are there for the ride only and should not take any pressure onto themselves.  Good luck. 

Edited by Taomeow, Yesterday, 10:35 AM.

• cheya, Kar3n and Papayapple said thanks for this

>^..^<

#101 Papayapple

Papayapple

Bam Bam

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 201 posts
  • Interests:J.S.Bach, Everything Electric, Classicism, also Freakin' Fractals!

Posted Yesterday, 12:30 PM

Overall I agree, I am all for the return to the natural habits, but still, there are things that cause me to question that kind of opinions.

A bed of straw is definitely better to sleep on than the mattress!  I've slept on straw tucked under the tarpaulin floor of a tent in the wild, and it was the best sleep of my life(how many nights in the row? I mean: everytime I tried sleeping on the floor on few blankets I was astounded, but then few nights later I would start to get sick of it. Too hard.(Maybe it's just a temporary excitement of a new sensation?) More blankets didn't help. I can only back that up with the fact that the best thing that ever happened to my back was buying that 400$ mattress. Better than yoga, better than acupuncture.) Such a difference. I am only very curious about sleeping in a hammock. I just heard it's incredible.

at one point (on dry clover hay that smells like paradise) everybody in our group pulled off between 14 and 18 hours of sleep in one stretch, the bodies seemed to be making up for all the sleep lost under "civilized" conditions. 

After all, wasn't that just mostly because you've been out on holidays? For me it's a tricky thing. Many important factors come into play. Like when I was a kid, sometimes the best sleep I had was while sleeping on a pile of teddy bears and hard toys or in the weird position, embraced by my mom on the nights when there was peace at home.

There's a thread somewhere where I shared my quest for the perfect sleeping surface for the spine, qi, and so on, and although it is not a bed of straw I ultimately zeroed in on, it's most definitely not a mattress that causes your mingmen area to sag (leaking qi from the Gate of Life all through the night) and is the root of much back pain and bad postures (an epidemic). 

I sure would like to know more about this.

As for sacrificing the knees -- no, of course not, but I think higher up the thread it has been discussed.  You should never squat with your knees going past your toes, or in or out -- keep them smack over your ankles -- and you can practice (on flat surface for starters) as high as you can manage and squat lower gradually, the action is in the spine and the hip joints, not in the knees.  Do stuff to elongate your spine and open your hips for a good squat and leave the knees out of it, they are there for the ride only and should not take any pressure onto themselves.  Good luck. 

Oh w8 I haven't actually tried sitting higher, that kind of does the trick! :D(Increases the backsplash dangerously though lol. And the risk of shitting on the rim while knees kept above ankles. hah. What went wrong?! Imagine how these colonists must have felt when they decided to switch. Damn!

Always keen on having a skype conversation in English with you about absolutely everything.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: stretching, mobility, flexibility

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users