GrandTrinity

Everyone post some favorite quotes!

'He who urges rational thought forward, thereby also drives its antagonistic power—mysticism and foolery of every kind—to new feats of strength.

We should recognise that every movement is (1) partly the manifestation of fatigue resulting from a previous movement (satiety after it, the malice of weakness towards it, and disease); and (2) partly a newly awakened accumulation of long slumbering forces, and therefore wanton, violent, healthy.' 

Friedrich Nietzsche 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Growth for the sake of Growth is the ideology of the cancer cell."

-- Edward Abbey

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

“There is darkness inside all of us, though mine is more dangerous than most. Still, we all have it—that part of our soul that is irreparably damaged by the very trials and tribulations of life. We are what we are because of it, or perhaps in spite of it. Some use
it as a shield to hide behind, others as an excuse to do unconscionable things. But, truly, the darkness is simply a piece of the whole, neither good nor evil unless you make it so. It
took a witch, a war, and a voodoo queen to teach me that.”
― Jenna Maclaine

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

“My formula for human greatness is amor fati: that one wants nothing to be different, not in the future, not in the past, not for all eternity. Not only to endure what is necessary, still less to conceal it — all idealism is falseness in the face of necessity — , but to love it...”
 Friedrich Nietzsche

• Like 2

1. A nickel ain’t worth a dime anymore.

2. We made too many wrong mistakes.

3. Congratulations. I knew the record would stand until it was broken.

4. You better cut the pizza in four pieces because I’m not hungry enough to eat six.

5. I usually take a two-hour nap from one to four.

6. Never answer an anonymous letter.

7. How can you think and hit at the same time?

8. The future ain’t what it used to be.

9. I tell the kids, somebody’s gotta win, somebody’s gotta lose. Just don’t fight about it. Just try to get better.

10. It gets late early out here.

11. You’ve got to be very careful if you don’t know where you are going, because you might not get there.

-----Yogi Berra

• Haha 1

“Every particular in nature, a leaf, a drop, a crystal, a moment of time is related to the whole, and partakes of the perfection of the whole. Each particle is a microcosm, and faithfully renders the likeness of the world.” ~Ralph Waldo Emerson~

• Like 3

If cold is the absence of heat, evil is the absence of good.--- anonymous, taoist, pain in the butt.

• Like 2

“Life, according to Zen, ought to be lived as a bird flies through the air, or as a fish swims in the water.”
-- D.T. Suzuki

"The right art is purposeless, aimless!

The more obstinately you try to learn how to shoot the arrow for the sake of hitting the goal,

the less you will succeed in the one

and the further the other will recede."

-- D.T. Suzuki

Edited by silent thunder
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

“You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger.” – Buddha

“Pain is certain, suffering is optional.” – Buddha

“Peace arises from within. Do not seek it without.” – Buddha

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We sit together the mountain and I.

Until only the mountain remains.

- Li Po

and when the mountain

is no more

what then remains?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

“Tangled grasses lie matted with death,
but generals keep at it. And for what?
Isn't it clear that weapons are the tools of misery?
The great sages never waited until the need
for such things arose.”
Li Ba
  • Like 2

This is the power of gathering: it inspires us, delightfully, to be more hopeful, more joyful, more thoughtful: in a word, more alive.

Our Mission 

The Edible Schoolyard Project is dedicated to transforming the health of children by designing hands-on educational experiences in the garden, kitchen, and cafeteria that connect children to food, nature, and to each other.

An Edible Education places the child at the center of their learning and uses food to engage all aspects of the child’s education. Through growing, processing, cooking, eating, studying, talking, and thinking about food, students develop skills, knowledge, and behaviors that enrich their academic and nonacademic lives, bolster their growth as individuals and in relationships, and cultivate meaningful engagement with their own health, the health of their communities, and the health of the planet. 

At the heart of an Edible Education is a just and joyful learning experience for every child.

Edited by moment
  • Like 2

Because only slow food can teach us the things that really matter - care, beauty, concentration, discernment, sensuality, all the best that humans are capable of, but only if we take the time to think about what we're eating.

------Alice Waters

• Like 4

While watching the Gulls cut through the heavy winds at the beach, i wonder...  Do crabs envy fish their flight through water, similarly to how i envy birds their flight through air?

• Like 1

"For a proof of this, they adduce the anatomy of the brain, assimilating, from the fact of its immobility, the brain itself to the Father, and the cerebellum to the Son, because of its being moved and being of the form of (the head of) a serpent. And they allege that this (cerebellum), by an ineffable and inscrutable process, attracts through the pineal gland the spiritual and life-giving substance emanating from the vaulted chamber (in which the brain is embedded). And on receiving this, the cerebellum in an ineffable manner imparts the ideas, just as the Son does, to matter; or, in other words, the seeds and the genera of the things produced according to the flesh flow along into the spinal marrow. Employing this exemplar, (the heretics) seem to adroitly introduce their secret mysteries, which are delivered in silence."

- Hippolytus, from the Philosophumena

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This above all: to thine own self be true,

And it must follow, as the night the day,

Thou canst not be false to any man.

Shakespeare via Polonius

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chainer said:

The cave you fear to enter holds the treasure you seek.

- JOSEPH CAMPBELL

and for me... that cave, lies within.

• Like 3

James Clear who wrote the book The Power of Habits sends me quotes every now and then.  I liked this one.

E.O. Wilson, a sociobiologist and Pulitzer Prize-winning author:

“The real problem of humanity is the following: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and god-like technology.

Source: An Intellectual Entente

An Indian proverb on kindness and mortality:

"Never postpone a good deed which you can do now, because death does not choose whether you have or haven’t done the things you should have done. Death waits for nobody and nothing. It has neither enemies, nor friends."

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

"I have heard that on the day the world was born, the bird of love was released to fly.  It searched all the three worlds but could not find a fit resting place. So it turned and entered the inmost heart, favoured it and never flew elsewhere.

The three worlds asked it then, 'Why are you attached to the human heart?'
'Suffering," it replied, "is the only hope for humans. Where there is sorrow, there I dwell.'

Where there is grief in the world, love has its dwelling.

~Mir Sayyid Manjhan Shattari Rajgiri, Madhumalati: An Indian Sufi Romance

Edited by neti neti
  • Like 1

“We’re all seeking that special person who is right for us. But if you’ve been through enough relationships, you begin to suspect there’s no right person, just different flavors of wrong. Why is this? Because you yourself are wrong in some way, and you seek out partners who are wrong in some complementary way.

But it takes a lot of living to grow fully into your own wrongness. And it isn’t until you finally run up against your deepest demons, your unsolvable problems - the ones that make you truly who you are - that we’re ready to find a lifelong mate.

Only then do you finally know what you’re looking for. You’re looking for the wrong person. But not just any wrong person: it's got to be the right wrong person - someone you lovingly gaze upon and think, “This is the problem I want to have.”

I will find that special person who is wrong for me in just the right way.”

~Andrew Boyd, Daily Afflictions: The Agony of Being Connected to Everything in the Universe

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1