GrandTrinity

Everyone post some favorite quotes!

“Now I will tell you the answer to my question. It is this. The Party seeks power entirely for its own sake. We are not interested in the good of others; we are interested solely in power, pure power. What pure power means you will understand presently. We are different from the oligarchies of the past in that we know what we are doing. All the others, even those who resembled ourselves, were cowards and hypocrites. The German Nazis and the Russian Communists came very close to us in their methods, but they never had the courage to recognize their own motives. They pretended, perhaps they even believed, that they had seized power unwillingly and for a limited time, and that just around the corner there lay a paradise where human beings would be free and equal. We are not like that. We know that no one ever seizes power with the intention of relinquishing it. Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power. Now you begin to understand me.”

George Orwell, 1984

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

“I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said,

but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

– Robert McCloskey

• Like 5

5 hours ago, silent thunder said:

“I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said,

but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

– Robert McCloskey

When you think about it, this quote is a direct nod to the theory of relativity in its most abstract form.

• Like 3

On 2/11/2020 at 3:15 PM, manitou said:

When you think about it, this quote is a direct nod to the theory of relativity in its most abstract form.

Hadn't even considered that aspect of it.  Nice one.

Edited by silent thunder
  • Like 1

Learn to pay attention to your ‘daemon’: the inner voice, somewhere in the bowels, that whispers, ‘Take care.’” --- Socrates

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

"At first, the weak perish. Then, the rest fight." -- Selco (a survivor of the Bosnian war, now teaching survivalist bootcamps in the US)

"The world is looking for a panacea, something to cure our ills without interfering with our mistakes. As far as we're concerned our mistakes are sacred, and we have a right to keep making them regardless of consequences." -- Manly P. Hall (a polymath)  

"Why do I need someone I don’t trust to tell me not to trust someone else I don’t trust?"  -- A random perspicacious Redditor   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I am the wisest man alive, for I know one thing, and that is that I know nothing.

-------------------Socrates

The foot feels the foot when it feels the ground.

------------------Gautama Buddha

The unexamined life is not worth living.

-----------------------------Socrates

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

All of the truths you will ever need, are hidden in every little mundane thing you do.

• Like 4

There came to that room wild streams of violet midnight glittering with dust of gold; vortices of dust and fire, swirling out of the ultimate spaces and heavy with perfumes from beyond the worlds.  Opiate oceans poured there, litten by suns that the eye may never behold and having in their whirlpools strange dolphins and sea-nymphs of unrememberable deeps.  Noiseless infinity eddied around the dreamer and wafted him away without even touching the body that leaned stiffly from the lonely window; and for days not counted in men's calendars the tides of far spheres bore him gently to join the dreams of which he longed' the dreams that men have lost.  And in the course of many cycles they tenderly left him sleeping on a green sunrise shore; a green shore fragrant with lotus-blossoms and starred by red camalates...

Hplovecraft-azathoth-manuscript.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

A British, Irish and American cop are walking together and talking about things. As the three of them pass a pub a belligerent drunk staggers out waving a two foot wooden stick.  The British policeman identifies himself and tells the drunk to put down the stick, saying "this cannot end well for you, just put it down go home and sleep it off".  The Irish cop says "put down that stick or I will shove it where the sun don't shine".  The American cop shoots him twice in the chest and once in the head.--  Me, after my recent and probably my last, visit to the USA*

* How Americans call themselves free and have cops that behave the way they do, is just plain strange!

Edited by Sramana

8 minutes ago, Sramana said:

A British, Irish and American cop are walking together and talking about things. As the three of them pass a pub a belligerent drunk staggers out waving a two foot wooden stick.  The British policeman identifies himself and tells the drunk to put down the stick, saying "this cannot end well for you, just put it down go home and sleep it off".  The Irish cop says "put down that stick or I will shove it where the sun don't shine".  The American cop shoots him twice in the chest and once in the head.-- Me, after my recent and probably my last, visit to the USA

Given that there is a lot of underfunding for cops in UK now, it seems like seeing a cop anywhere where they’re needed in some places is a surprise. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/06/world/europe/uk-knife-crime-austerity.html

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Earl Grey said:

Given that there is a lot of underfunding for cops in UK now, it seems like seeing a cop anywhere where they’re needed in some places is a surprise. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/06/world/europe/uk-knife-crime-austerity.html

Yeah, there is hard times ahead for the UK.  They will pull out of it though.  They are bulldogs!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, moment said:

I am the wisest man alive, for I know one thing, and that is that I know nothing.

-------------------Socrates

The foot feels the foot when it feels the ground.

------------------Gautama Buddha

The unlived life is not worth examining. - Robert Hughes

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Earl Grey said:

The unlived life is not worth examining. - Robert Hughes

He said this famous quote at his trial, when he chose death over dishonor and lies.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, moment said:

He said this famous quote at his trial, when he chose death over dishonor and lies.

When the internet was young, and I was younger (not younger than the internet, just younger than today I mean),  I used to have this signature embedded under my posts:

"A life unexamined should be terminated with extreme prejudice."

• Haha 2

On 2/15/2020 at 5:52 PM, Taomeow said:

When the internet was young, and I was younger (not younger than the internet, just younger than today I mean),  I used to have this signature embedded under my posts:

"A life unexamined should be terminated with extreme prejudice."

No, they must evolve enough to be able to say that-_-

Edited by moment
  • Like 1

Good travels all and be well!

Edited by moment
  • Like 2

Be a wushu player, longtime and maybe you wil lbe great, maybe not. But, I guarrantee, you will be a much better person!

• Like 2

i don't know.

you don't know.

nobody knows.

but everybody talkin'

Dub Garden - Talking

Spoiler

Edited by silent thunder
added link
  • Like 1

“The pillar of socialization is loyalty and the method of dealing with people should be based on modesty and cooperation. Loyalty fosters trust; modesty encourages progress; and cooperation befriends people. Modesty and cooperation should be based on loyalty not on hypocrisy.”

------- Chen Fake, 

Style Wushu:
Chen-style taijiquan
Teacher(s) Chen Yanxi (陈延熙)
Rank 9th gen. Grandmaster of
Chen-style taijiquan
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

“I’m not sure the kind of tired I am can be fixed by a vacation.”

~Harry Mitchell to Richardson in The Adjustment Bureau, 2011.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Taomeow said:

image.png.e4e81566ae41379a777a8fa5f53d0198.png

Spinning, spinning!

There is a reality within you--that is your compass and in the finding, is where we connect!

Edited by moment
  • Like 2

A donkey with a load of holy books is still a donkey.

~ Sufi saying

A pig with a load of chi kung books and/or videos is still a pig.

~ Taoist correlate

Edited by Starjumper
  • Like 1