sean

What are you listening to?

That stretches my definition of folk music...Sounds like death metal to me, with celtic melody influence. Much harder than Flogging Molly, which is more in the hard rock/metal/alternative genre.

The singing is a dead giveaway...death metal.

Nothing wrong with it, though.

Haha, you're the first to point it out! :) It is indeed metal. I intentionally left out the word "metal" from my description because that word would deter many people from listening to it, and I'm trying to promote it. So simply calling it folk music would draw more people in.

However, it is NOT death metal. It's actually a genre of metal called "Folk metal", so it is indeed folk music, but also metal.

The band I showed is Eluveitie; they are probably the biggest Folk Metal band in the world right now. They use some really old instruments, such as the hurdy-gurdy, and they have one album in which all of the lyrics in ancient Gaulic (not Gaelic), which is the language of the ancient Gauls; and is a language that's been dead for almost 2000 years.

There is much in their music that is "folk", in fact, much more than in folk music of other genres. But it certainly cannot be considered death metal, which is very different.

:)

Well it's not important. I categorize based on the combination of metal and the growling vocals. That's what makes it death metal to me. But I don't have enough of a grasp of what makes music fit into what category to debate it, really.

In the end, good music is good music.

• Like 1

:)

Well it's not important. I categorize based on the combination of metal and the growling vocals. That's what makes it death metal to me. But I don't have enough of a grasp of what makes music fit into what category to debate it, really.

In the end, good music is good music.

Yes, I too would classify that as Death (or Dark) Metal. Black Sabbath was about as Dark and Metal as I ever got with rock music.

Okay, here is a song from the same band that sounds MUCH more like folk, than that other song. It is sung by the two female band members and is all acoustic--so it doesn't really sound like metal at all. It also features the antiquated instrument called a hurdy-gurdy, and the lyrics are all in the ancient language of Gaulish.

If you didn't like the first song I posted, you may really like this one:

You have mistaken me for someone else. I was not speaking of metal and witches. I was speaking of pissy babies.

so you are saying folk music is for pissy babies?

cant get enough of Onra for days ...

Strange, that one. The very beginning brought the thought to my mind "Klezmer" (Jewish) music.

so you are saying folk music is for pissy babies?

Hehehe. NO, NO, NO!!!

Not at all. I got two threads mixed up. When you get old you will experience what I am talking about.

I love folk music. I have an excellent collection of Cajun and Tejano (mostly 1940s & 50s) as well as a small collection of other cultures as well. The other day I was listening to some Bollywood music from India.

BTW I even have one song sung in German in my collection. (But I haven't had the nerve to add Lili Marlene to my collection yet.)

Japanese fan-made electronic music based on a video game series (Touhou doujin electronica). It's better than most people would expect (assuming you like electronic music).

Edited by Unlearner