rookie

Eva Wong Qigong training

http://www.karmecholing.org/registration.p...program-details

Probably few of us haven't seen the name from the translations she does.

Other than that ?????

She started out as a disciple of Master Moy Lin-Shin the creator of taoist tai chi. I don't know the complete story and do not want to gossip. Suffice it to say they had a falling out and parted ways. She then appears to have hooked up with other lineages, but that's all I know. She's obviously a very talented translator, and has done us all a great service in translating these texts. If you can study with her I would not pass it up.

P.S. I have a very old video of her doing taoist tai chi :-P

She started out as a disciple of Master Moy Lin-Shin the creator of taoist tai chi. I don't know the complete story and do not want to gossip. Suffice it to say they had a falling out and parted ways. She then appears to have hooked up with other lineages, but that's all I know. She's obviously a very talented translator, and has done us all a great service in translating these texts. If you can study with her I would not pass it up.

P.S. I have a very old video of her doing taoist tai chi :-P

The pr release says she is a lineage holder, but no mention of this guy. I have heard of the daoist tai chi society.

Do you have a link to the video?

I think it helps to know the facts about people who are offering a new teaching.

I've read her books. I'm also curious to know more about her. Didn't know she parted ways with her teacher.

The pr release says she is a lineage holder, but no mention of this guy. I have heard of the daoist tai chi society.

Do you have a link to the video?

I think it helps to know the facts about people who are offering a new teaching.

The pr release says she is a lineage holder

With all respect for Eva Wong, whose books are enjoyable, this information is IMO far from accurate.

The 'Xiantian Wuji' Sect is the line her late teacher - Moy Lin Shin - claimed (falsely) to be lineage holder. The late Master Moy was only briefly related to a group here in HK who practiced in that line, let alone claiming to be the real holders of the lineage.

So, unless she has then found somebody else from that same line for further studies, she can hardly be even related to the sect ...

Oh well ...

YM

With all respect for Eva Wong, whose books are enjoyable, this information is IMO far from accurate.

The 'Xiantian Wuji' Sect is the line her late teacher - Moy Lin Shin - claimed (falsely) to be lineage holder. The late Master Moy was only briefly related to a group here in HK who practiced in that line, let alone claiming to be the real holders of the lineage.

So, unless she has then found somebody else from that same line for further studies, she can hardly be even related to the sect ...

Oh well ...

YM

Hi YM,

According to what I've read Eva Wong was also a student of Sun Di.

I don't know if he's considered a lineage holder of the Xiantian Wuji tradition, but I did find a youtube video of Sun Di doing Bagua. The URL is

www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RXJMx-wTOw

Regards,

PHElwood

Edited by PHElwood

Hi YM,

According to what I've read Eva Wong was also a student of Sun Di.

I don't know if he's considered a lineage holder of the Xiantian Wuji tradition, but I did find a youtube video of Sun Di doing Bagua. The URL is

www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RXJMx-wTOw

Regards,

PHElwood

I have heard about Sun Di in some martial circles here but never heard of his relationship with Daoism

YM

I have heard about Sun Di in some martial circles here but never heard of his relationship with Daoism

YM

Does anyone have a reference to this supposed claim of Moy, Lin-Shin:

The 'Xiantian Wuji' Sect is the line her late teacher - Moy Lin Shin - claimed (falsely) to be lineage holder.

As far as Mr. Sun is concerned, I'm only aware of students, at least in the west, who learned liu he ba fa, xing-yi and ba gua and possibly tai chi sword and sabre forms from him. If anyone has any other footage or links to video clips of him, I would be very interested to see them.

TIA,

Doug

Oh well ...

YM

From what I've read from -her books- her teacher lived(lives?) in Taiwan. Her Feng Shui book gives a really good description of the area around Sai Keung - where there are many Wongs from a few hundred years back. We are currently researching the Wong family to see what relation to Wong Shek Maitao (Wong Shek Pier).

The Wong family is direct descendent from the Yellow Emperor, Huang Di (Also Wong Di).

An interesting point is that Sai Keung, in chinese characters, translates to Western empire... Japanese origin?

Here is a bit of a photo essay on the area as well as good descriptions.

http://www.hongkongextras.com/explore_shat...ek_saikung.html

Edited by ~jK~

Greetings..

I am familiar with several branches of the Taoist Tai Chi Society, and with several of Ms. Wongs books.. if the Taoist Tai Chi Society is any indication of Ms. Wong's awareness, it is unimpressive and greatly dilutes the foundation of Taiji.. Ms. Wong's books are unnecessarily difficult to comprehend, particularly in the misuse of metaphors.. aside from that, the 'Society's' marketing skills are to be appreciated,and.. the practitioners seem genuinely dedicated..

Be well..

• Like 1

Oh well ...

YM

This is one of the (many) problems with lineages. Lineages are quasi-secret/quasi-formal organizations and whenever someone makes a claim about lineage affiliation, it's often next to impossible to verify. But lineages have only themselves to blame for this.

Edited by goldisheavy

Master Moy, by his own admission, adapted the traditional Yang style to "conform" with his Taoist principles. He effectively removed all martial arts out of the form and also the tailbone tuck claiming that these were both damaging the health of practitioners.

9PKWaECjf-I

Specifically when and where did Moy Lin Shin claim to be a lineage holder of the Xiantian Wuji Sect?

Moy Lin Shin claimed to have studied at a temple in China from that lineage when he was a youth, but

I am not aware of him ever having claimed to be a lineage holder of that sect.

The temple he cofounded in Hong Kong (Fung Loy kok) was affiliated with the Yuen Yuen Institute which

traces its lineage back to the Longmen sect. The temple he cofounded in Hong Kong was built

on the grounds of the Yuen Yuen Institute (http://www.yuenyuen.org.hk).

Edited by NotVoid

I have studied with Eva Wong since 2008. She tells us to trust the tea not the teapot— that she is merely the conduit, which has helped me focus on what I want to focus on: the practice itself. Proof, pudding, etc.

I have yet to meet someone I would consider to be a true master, one in whom I could put my complete trust and devotion, nor do I think that is necessary. I have studied with a number of teachers, and in my experience, they are either fairly unrealized, or come with quite interesting personality... quirks.

Having said all that, I would like to meet a true master one day, and I hope I would be able to recognize their mastery. Nominations welcome!

I continue to study with Eva Wong because of the practice itself.

Edited by daomontana
  • Like 1

Guest Jason Croft

Eva is a cousin in my wife's family, a direct descendent of Wong Di - the emperor that brought peace and unity to China 2,000 years ago using the philosophy of Tin Hau (all under heaven) that Jet Li made a movie about - titled "HERO" Good movie ! It is based on historical facts.

She used to live in Sai Keung, where I live, in a small fishing village on the ocean side of Hong Kong.

Her uncle is known locally as master of Taoist concepts and practice. He had a school for those that wished to learn.

There continues to be schools teaching various Chinese styles in Sai Keung - but I've not seen any foreigners being accepted in the schools.

Among exercises that I have seen taught in the schools is a type of dance where the practitioners jump from 12 foot standing (3 meter) high iron pipes placed around in a circle, that were spaced about 2 meters apart.

Eva is rumored have moved to Colorado, USA. in an effort to find peace. Her latest book, that I have seen is 'Cultivating Stillness - but it is partially (less than 5%) written in ancient Chinese style.'

Edited by Jason Croft

This is for TzuJanLi. I am not aware of Eva Wong's connection to the International Taoist Taichi Society. I will look into it. What do you know about that connection?

In the early 1990s Eva looked set to become Mr Moy's successor. She used to travel to most international workshops with him and led many of them under his guidance. She usually gave very informative talks about Taoism during the workshop events.

The first couple of books she translated were at the request of Mr Moy - Seven Taoist Masters and Cultivating Stillness - and had tributes to him at the beginning. The latter books of hers that I have seen have had no references to TTCS and Moy.

There was some kind of falling out and she left the TTCS some years before Mr Moy passed away.

I noticed she is currently running Qigong workshops in association with one of the various organisations formed around ex-TTCS members.