Sign in to follow this  
mwight

Talking To God

That was pretty interesting and ironic because just today I was pondering a lot of the issues mentioned. I was pondering evolution and the purpose of it all. Additionally I was pondering the Jehova god of the Old Testament / Torah. This is just my most recent opinion, but to me Jehova seems like a rather immature yet powerful, yet unenlightened being. He does not seem all that well adjusted and on a constant ego trip. IMO he is just a being with some power but without Tao. One thing that has long baffeled me about Jehova is whats up with the animal sacrifices? For that matter why did so many ancient religions practice this? Does sacrificing an animal for a powerful entity give that entity anything? or perhaps it was based more upon human understanding? I don't know, as usual I tend to have more questions than answers.

I've hit my thumb so many times with a hammer

that the nail doesn't ever grow back right...

but her thumb and nail are perfect.

Edited by 3bob

Been a while so BTT for any that have not had a chance to read this

god isnt real.

God isn't real, but only in the same sense that you are not real.

From the perspective of one of your cells you are a god, yet you have no existence independent of those same cells.

Each one of your cells is an individually intelligent being, they work together as a society, and their interactions, their telecommunications across an organic Internet (your brain and nervous system) give rise to your consciousness, you are the collective voice of trillions of beings working together as a society, yet you believe yourself to be one thing, you are nothing more than energy and information being exchanged in your neural networks, the world you see and experience exists only inside your own mind as a simulation made of energy and information, the body you feel, the air you breathe, the sights you see all of that occurs only inside your own mind as energy and information.

We too give rise to such an consciousness via our interconnectedness, our telecommunications and internet.

You quite literally are a cell inside the body of God.

"I am the vine; you are the branches."

John 15:5

It's a forest for the trees thing, you scream there is no God, yet you've been looking at God your whole life, it's the system and environment you are apart of.

Edited by More_Pie_Guy
  • Like 2

"Your body is empty; emptiness is your body. Emptiness

is nothing but your body, and your body is nothing but emptiness."

"Every existing thing is emptiness."

"There are no eyes; no ears; no nose; no tongue; no body; no mind; nothing to see; nothing to hear; nothing to smell; nothing to taste; nothing to touch; and nothing to think of."

"There is no part of you that sees. There is no part of you that is aware of what you see; and this is true all the way up to the part of you that thinks, and the part of you that is aware that you are thinking."

-Buddha (quoted from The Heart Sutra)

God isn't real, but only in the same sense that you are not real.

From the perspective of one of your cells you are a god, yet you have no existence independent of those same cells.

Each one of your cells is an individually intelligent being, they work together as a society, and their interactions, their telecommunications across an organic Internet (your brain and nervous system) give rise to your consciousness, you are the collective voice of trillions of beings working together as a society, yet you believe yourself to be one thing, you are nothing more than energy and information being exchanged in your neural networks, the world you see and experience exists only inside your own mind as a simulation made of energy and information, the body you feel, the air you breathe, the sights you see all of that occurs only inside your own mind as energy and information.

We too give rise to such an consciousness via our interconnectedness, our telecommunications and internet.

You quite literally are a cell inside the body of God.

"I am the vine; you are the branches."

John 15:5

It's a forest for the trees thing, you scream there is no God, yet you've been looking at God your whole life, it's the system and environment you are apart of.

if this is all a simulation, what is there to stop me from going out and gunning down a crowd of people.

there are no repercussions in a simulation.

if this is all a simulation, what is there to stop me from going out and gunning down a crowd of people.

I think you misunderstood.

Right now you believe yourself to be looking at a computer monitor, you are not. You are looking at the inside of your own mind, your own internal mental processes. This computer monitor you experience has no actual existence independent of your own mind and occurs purely inside your own mind.

If you watch a football game on live television, you aren't actually watching the game itself, you are not there in the stadium.

You are watching a digital recreation, a simulation, an approximation of the football game.

There is a famous painting by Magritte called the treachery of images.

MagrittePipe.jpg

It says this is not a pipe, it is a painting of a pipe, a representation of a pipe, but not a pipe itself.

Do you see the difference between a representation of something and the thing itself?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Map%E2%80%93territory_relation

Korzybski remarked that the map is not the territory.

What you see and experience has no more reality to it than the football game you watch on television.

You look at it and are so convinced that it, itself is reality, it is not.

The Mahayana Buddhists compare the mind to a mirror that reflects reality, we stare only at the mirror and believe the reflections to be reality.

Plato's allegory of the cave also alludes to this, the men are chained to the wall and believe the shadows they see to be reality, till one day a man breaks free and sees the world outside for himself.

What you see an experience is nothing more than a reflection of reality your mind generates, it itself is not real or tangible, it is just energy and information inside your neural networks, a synthetic reality created by your brain to make sense of your environment.

Don't mistake the map for the territory.

Edited by More_Pie_Guy

So I can kill as I please, because those people don't really exist. Thank you.

That's not what I am saying, I am afraid you missed the whole point.

None of us exist, each atom in our bodies is replaced every so many years, this is true, we are just patterns of energy and information inside our neural networks, but should confronting such an obvious and self evident truth mean we should cause suffering, pain and loss to the environment we are apart of?

We each develop our own moral codes, I view all life on earth as one, and don't seek to cause more harm and suffering than is necessary.

Edited by More_Pie_Guy

Let's pretend that one day many centuries from now that scientists prove our universe is a computer simulation, if proof of such became commonly known would it change how you felt about your mother and father? If they are/were still alive would you chop off their heads and do obscene things to their dead bodies just because you could? Would them being a small subroutine inside a larger program make their experience of reality any less meaningful than your experience?

These are moral issues you'll personally have to struggle with, I personally believe that your actions in this life are what navigate you through a multiverse each moment you are alive you navigate between an infinite number of possible future worlds equally as real, spreading pain and suffering will act to navigate you towards a world in which you suffer the fruits of your actions. All possible outcomes too all possible events have already occurred and exist in a superposition which you view via your choices while navigating between them.

Nothing is real. You have saved me so much thinking, really. Thank you.

You might hear news of me soon, via the news simulation.

Your sarcasm doesn't change the reality of the situation.

What you experience, does in fact occur inside your own mind (your neural networks) as energy and information.

The computer screen you are looking at occurs inside your own mind as energy and information.

You can be sarcastic all you like, it doesn't change this fact.

Suffering alone exists, none who suffer;

The deed there is, but no doer thereof;

Nirvana is, but no one seeking it;

The Path there is, but none who travel it."

-Buddha quoted from the (Visuddhimagga) The Path of Purification sutra

All physical matter in the universe was born (ultimately) from the void, empty space.

When strong enough quantum vacuum fluctuations arise spontaneously, they cause the void to separate into matter and antimatter in equal amounts.

In essence there is no ultimate building block of matter, just the emptiness, the void.

Everything is quite literally spun out of nothingness.

If this is hard to grasp, imagine that to make a coin it must be first stamped from a sheet of metal leaving behind a hole.

The sheet of metal in this case was empty space.

You might also think about it like this. If you dig a hole in the ground you will have a hole and pile of dirt. If you fill the hole with the dirt again, you'll be left with what you started.

Empty space is really as full, and as pregnant with being as anything in our universe can be. It is more real than physical matter even.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_particle

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawking_radiation

Hawking says that at the event horizon of a black hole or singularity the gravitational field is so strong it rips apart the virtual particle pairs of empty space, and sucks in an antimatter particle and emits a particle.

The antimatter reacts with the matter inside the black hole and this causes the black hole to slowly evaporate over aeons, and reseeds the universe with matter.

The matter that was in the black hole was not destroyed but instead turned back into virtual particles which is what empty space is, an infinite ocean of virtual particles.

“Nothing is not nothing. Nothing is something. That's how a cosmos can be spawned from the void -- a profound idea conveyed in A Universe From Nothing that unsettles some yet enlightens others. Meanwhile, it's just another day on the job for physicist Lawrence Krauss.” -- Neil deGrasse Tyson, Astrophysicist

"Truly speaking, nothingness is what we want to talk about when we talk about the spiritual only it's all been ignored, it's been put down, saying oh, bleah! nothingness! Heaven preserve us from that! But… that's where the secret lies! And obviously the secret always lies in the place you never think of looking for it!"

-Alan Watts

"We and everything in our world are all from the emptiness and will go back to the emptiness. It is a state of pure energy where we are one with the universe. -- Chunyi Lin creator of Spring Forest Qigong

Edited by More_Pie_Guy

http://www.amazon.com/Programming-Universe-Quantum-Computer-Scientist/dp/0099455374/

Lloyd, a professor at MIT, works in the vanguard of research in quantum computing: using the quantum mechanical properties of atoms as a computer. He contends that the universe itself is one big quantum computer producing what we see around us, and ourselves, as it runs a cosmic program. According to Lloyd, once we understand the laws of physics completely, we will be able to use small-scale quantum computing to understand the universe completely as well. In his scenario, the universe is processing information. The second law of thermodynamics (disorder increases) is all about information, and Lloyd spends much of the book explaining how quantum processes convey information. The creation of the universe itself involved information processing: random fluctuations in the quantum foam, like a random number generator in a computer program, produced higher-density areas, then matter, stars, galaxies and life. Lloyd's hypothesis bears important implications for the red-hot evolution–versus–intelligent design debate, since he argues that divine intervention isn't necessary to produce complexity and life. Unfortunately, he rushes through what should be the climax of his argument.

http://www.transcend.ws/has-james-gates-discovered-computer-code-in-string-theory-equations-welcome-to-the-matrix/

Dr. S. James Gates, Jr., a theoretical physicist, the John S. Toll Professor of Physics at the University of Maryland, and the Director of The Center for String & Particle Theory, is reporting that certain string theory, super-symmetrical equations, which describe the fundamental nature of the Universe and reality, contain embedded computer codes.

• Like 1

You!

How do you know? It would depend on the kind of simulation that it is...

who said i was joking.

Why would you want to kill someone? If you say it's OK because those people 'don't really exist', then the same applies to you. So why not kill yourself? Then again, if you don't exist either, why kill yourself? Why do any of that? Why not do what makes you happy instead? Since you will still be part of the karma system an having a mind, being a human being, able to feel pleasure and displeasure - why torture yourself?

The core of your reasoning is confusion. You put way too much meaning into mere words and concepts.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this