Sign in to follow this  
phore

Chanting names of goddess

Do you mean 4 different vaikhari intonations? Does intonation = melody?

I did not articulate that right... I meant the Vedic svaras, like one way is to say varenyam, the other is vareniyam, and the musical pattern [ups, downs and stresses] change as well...

I practice the Gayatri mantra and you do not need an empowerment to practice this mantra. This is according to Thomas Ashley-Farrand who is considered an expert on mantras and has authored many books on the subject.

Yes, I meant to say that IMO it works more powerfully with the initiation and not that it is impossible otherwise. Different systems have different approaches of course.

Able to display demonstrable paranormal ability.

But is he authentic????

Edited by apepch7

I'm going to be rude here... wicca is bogus

chanting, mantra's, wicca, witchcraft, crystals, sigil's, signets, spells, potions, rituals all that jazz... bogus...

don't waste your time with it.

Stick to a good system of qigong or neigong like spring forest, or the system laid out in that book "the tao of meditation", robert bruce's new system also gets results.

Spells, chanting, mantras and rituals are things I have direct experience with - and from my experience they do work. It's all about intention and vibration...

I agree that most modern wicca is superficial however, with the right viewpoint and some experience with Truth, Tao, God, Life Force, etc. these techniques can be more than superficial. There are many paths that can lead to the goal - many more than just the few that you've mentioned. "Good" is subjective, some paths may be faster or more effective but there are as many types of people as there are paths - just need to find a right fit! Actually, this is why there are so many different Gods/Goddesses in some traditions such as Hinduism.

Phore, to answer your question, that is a combination of two techniques. Chanting the name/mantra will quiet your other thoughts (as does any chanting). The twirling will help you locate your 'center'. As you twirl, you will find that you are in the center, everything else is spinning except for the very core of your being.

I'm not sure of the origin of chanting but the twirling technique is found heavily in Sufism.

Whirling dervishes :) Sufis are amazing beings. Spinning is also found in Tibet and certain forms of shamanism, of which witchcraft is a daughter of. Spinning has many uses including the strengthening of the spine for better conductivity.

Chanting has it's origin in the divine. In fact, it is as much of a law of the material universe as gravity. Chanting can be found in pretty much every single tradition.

All matter is vibrating energy. One can raise one's energy by a whole host of different spiritual practices from all the corners of the world... hell, even intellectual investigation works... arguably a spiritual practice in itself.

Mantras create certain vibrations/energies that work both internally and externally. The reason certain mantras are used is because they are associated with an enlightened being of old, or perhaps a spiritual guide of some sort. They allow for the practitioner to 'tune in' or 'tap into' a certain frequency, or set of frequencies, which is of particular benefit. For those with open minds, this is akin to asking for help and guidance of a spiritually advanced being.

Now, the real crux is that it's not just mantras that create vibrations. In fact there is no separation whatsoever. All our thoughts, actions and words have an impact, no matter how small, on our vibrational state - our energy levels. Cursing, among other forms of abuse, has a notable affect on one's energy. As does giving praise or even something seemingly mundane, such as watering a plant. Nothing is exempt. Vibrations do not need to be created in the sounds of Sanskrit for them to have repercussions.

Watch your words and watch them closely.

With awareness comes insight,

With insight comes restraint,

With restraint there is virtue.

Yours humbly,

James

yes, he and his system called mo pai are indeed authentic.

ive come across a person who practices a form of ritual magic, im not quite sure which one though. Apparently he could astral project while walking.

And as for judging a system based off of one person who has succeeded. Ive heard st. francis of accai was pretty badass. doesnt mean we should all practice catholicism, though i can see where youre coming from.

the witches are in the initiation phase (1 year) in my book use the following techniques

Deep breathing

Visualization training.

a tree visualization called grounding and centering. everyone in the group raises the kundalini with this tech

they do some trance journeys after this.

they practice in a circle to share energy

they preform some rituals to invoke the 5 elements

i also had some inhibitions about this practice, because of the negative stereotypes in our culture and the fact that it is widely practiced by nonmainstream schoolchildren.

As a person of european descent i am finding it really interesting. It seems to be deeply rooted in our culture

^_^

Edited by phore

I practice the Gayatri mantra and you do not need an empowerment to practice this mantra. This is according to Thomas Ashley-Farrand who is considered an expert on mantras and has authored many books on the subject.

You don't need a Thomas Ashley-Farrand to teach you mantra. There are absolutely no one-size-fits all when it comes to Mantra meditation. The things that matter are how a Mantra resonates with you and who initiated you into the Mantra or how you came about it.

I was given the Gayatri Mantra in the Rig Vedic tradition as that has been my family tradition for thousands of years.

I was given the Vasudeva mantra in a dream by a Sadhu when I was going to through an especially tumultuous phase in my life.

Some Mantras will draw you automatically (by power of resonance). The special thing about Mantras is in the Meter (known as Chchanda in Sanskrit) and the pronunciation. Before starting Sanskrit mantras, it is very important to first learn how to pronounce the letters of Sanskrit correctly. There are 50 letters in Sanskrit (as opposed to the 26 in English) and there is a proper manner in which they are pronounced.

Learning the proper pronunciation, meter, inflection and intonation is paramount if you want to have a successful Mantra meditation practice.

Gayatri -- A starter course (I just met this teacher a couple days back) --

Edited by dwai

Learning the proper pronunciation, meter, inflection and intonation is paramount if you want to have a successful Mantra meditation practice.

Pronounciation certainly is important for the full impact of the mantra, but a mantra prononced perfectly with inflection, intonation, meter, is lifeless without bhava...does it not require the full devotion and understanding of the meaning to have the fullest effect? My Maa told me that even if a mantra is pronouced incoherently with pure devotion, the deity cannot not refuse the devotee....if a hungry child asks it's mother for a fruit, and cannot pronounce its name yet properly, will its mother deny her child the fruit. That is not to say we should not strive for perfect pronouciation, as that is also a form of devotion.

Edited by Xienkula1

yes, he and his system called mo pai are indeed authentic.

That's interesting - thanks I googled him.

Have studied under him or his system?

You don't need a Thomas Ashley-Farrand to teach you mantra. There are absolutely no one-size-fits all when it comes to Mantra meditation. The things that matter are how a Mantra resonates with you and who initiated you into the Mantra or how you came about it.

I was given the Gayatri Mantra in the Rig Vedic tradition as that has been my family tradition for thousands of years.

I was given the Vasudeva mantra in a dream by a Sadhu when I was going to through an especially tumultuous phase in my life.

Some Mantras will draw you automatically (by power of resonance). The special thing about Mantras is in the Meter (known as Chchanda in Sanskrit) and the pronunciation. Before starting Sanskrit mantras, it is very important to first learn how to pronounce the letters of Sanskrit correctly. There are 50 letters in Sanskrit (as opposed to the 26 in English) and there is a proper manner in which they are pronounced.

Gayatri -- A starter course (I just met this teacher a couple days back) --

I agree. Ashley Farrand has a cd with his pronuciations of a lot of mantras but there are many sources. Who is this teacher of Gayatri you are talking about, the link to youtube does not work.

I'm going to be rude here... wicca is bogus

chanting, mantra's, wicca, witchcraft, crystals, sigil's, signets, spells, potions, rituals all that jazz... bogus...

don't waste your time with it.

Stick to a good system of qigong or neigong like spring forest, or the system laid out in that book "the tao of meditation", robert bruce's new system also gets results.

Chanting Mantras Etc are at the core of most Ancient Religions including Buddhism,Hindu,Islam and of course Taoism. To think that One cannot attain the same & more Abilities as John Chang is very Wrong.

But then again doesnt the Mo-Pai use Fu Talismans too ? Which is in essence a Magical Diagram We call Sigils in Western Magic

You see even John Chang -With all His mighty Chi must still use these Talismans to achieve His various Goals. If You want Supernatural Powers (which i think 99% of the people here seek) Then mantras & spells are the fastest route by any means. Much quicker then boring stances & The soft fairy like qigong mostly available nowdays looool.

Hi everyone. Phore, If your lucky by chanting a Goddesses name you might actually meet a Goddess! or you may 'Feel' her, or at the very least you'll just have a fun night out.

Mwight, why dont you try some sigil magick to help you meet John Chang? you'd be amazed what you can pull off with it.

I have met an adept of the western tradition who I shall not name but who can demonstrate all kinds of stuff: Control of elements, ability to read minds, summon entities, and all kinds of other cool stuff. He is very humble and his tradition demands secrecy. Hence the fact you dont read about him on the six o'clock news. Also in that way of developing, if you talk about your magick you weaken it.

I am a devoted Kashmir Shavite and we have a lot of Devi chants that we use, some of witch can Knock your socks off. Kali is my Favourite Goddess and I am always astounded at the power of some of her chants.

I also practice magick for fun and profit on a weekly basis as this helps me live the way I want with the things I need. Bogus? :lol: you don't have a clue...

In one of the old Taoist cannons (I can't remember which one) Invocation is considered one of the essential practices for developing Immortality. If you are not interacting with the beings that live on the different levels, How can you possibly wake yourself up on those levels?

Seth Ananda

Chanting Mantras Etc are at the core of most Ancient Religions including Buddhism,Hindu,Islam and of course Taoism. To think that One cannot attain the same & more Abilities as John Chang is very Wrong.

But then again doesnt the Mo-Pai use Fu Talismans too ? Which is in essence a Magical Diagram We call Sigils in Western Magic

You see even John Chang -With all His mighty Chi must still use these Talismans to achieve His various Goals. If You want Supernatural Powers (which i think 99% of the people here seek) Then mantras & spells are the fastest route by any means. Much quicker then boring stances & The soft fairy like qigong mostly available nowdays looool.

sorry r.w. Its obvious you DON'T have a clue what your talking about.

Edited by mwight

ok guys and gals...

feel free to do all the silly rituals, and recite all the names of all the goddesses that ever were, stand on your head and chant ohm padmay hum, while spinning around three times and drinking the dragons blood potion through your nose. Because you know what... its BS... it will never get you closer to enlightenment... it will never get you closer to liberation.... it will never aid you in the development of powers or abilities.... as a matter of fact it wont do anything at all except for make you look really retarded.

Deep deep deep meditation, deep enough to the point where your fully aware but completely disconnected from the physical sensory data your body is relaying to your brain, thats where you want to be. The void... beyond death... thats where you want to be.

Wasting your time with newage wicca spells and potions and mantra's and sigils and signets and chanting and getting naked and dancing round bonfires.... is just a colossal waste of your time, that is assuming you actually want to accomplish something with your practice.

Just for perspective, Fu Jyeo (see below) is an integral part of many Taoist traditions.

Common Taoist cultivation methods:

~ Nei Tan, Internal Medicine, which can support a person's spiritual future through refinement of the physical, mental and spiritual essence,

~ Tai Shi, Internal Breathing, which is higher than external breathing, although both are usually practiced together

~ Tao Yin, Energy Channelling, for purposes of health and spiritual benefit

~ Chun Shih, Visualization or concentration

~ Fu Erh, External Nutrition, using natural herbs and other things,

~ Shing Jeau, Walking, for gathering and refining energy,

~ Fuh Chi, Internal Energy Maintenance

~ Bei Gu, to stop eating food completely,

~ Fu Chi, Intaking Natural Energy through breathing and swallowing

~ Fang Jung, Sexual Cultivation,

~ Fu Jyeo, Secret Talismanic Characters, Words and also Invocations,

~ Jing Tan, Golden Elixir,

~ Shr Jeah, Method of Exuviation into a New Life.

There are innumerable taoists both ancient and modern who never accomplished anything notable. Just because they left behind some books about their talismans and rituals doesn't mean they actually do anything.

Sorry it's I just have some personal friends I went to high school with who got off on this magick kick, none of them ever accomplished jack shit and yet they all believe they are so powerful they can hollow out mountains with their will, and command armies of undead spirits. They live in their parents basements and are 30+ now and still convinced that next week they will win the lottery because this new spell will work, they even sacrificed an animal this time... using its soul as the fuel for the spell... surely it will work this time. It never does...

It just makes me sad to see otherwise intelligent and good people delude themselves into thinking chanting, ritual, and symbols actually hold power over the physical world. They don't. To accomplish ANYTHING you have to have a huge stockpile of chi beforehand, and that takes thousands of hours of actually meditating.

I've watched their behavior grow more and more detached from reality, almost to the point of insanity they are so deluded.

This is why I hate magick so much, I view it as absurd, childish and extremely self destructive. It leads to nothing but delusions, and a wasted life.

I am sure there are some ancient masters who spent years pouring their heart mind and soul, raw emotional energy, and chi, into certain objects like kerises of Indonesia. Sure these objects might even be linked to them in death. Seems like they still got the short end of the stick to me...

I do believe that chi can be charged with intention perhaps if there is any validity to modern wiccan ritual it comes from the practitioners intention, emotion, and willpower to accomplish their goals. The whole ritual, and ceremony and symbolism bit most likely just act as a giant placebo to fuel their imaginations and emotional energy.

Edited by mwight

mwight,

If you saw someone who, through their own stupidity, drove their car over a cliff ... you wouldn't hold the car to blame would you?

So just because your misguided friends deluded themselves with spells and rituals does not necessarily mean that the use of Talismanic Characters, Chants, Rituals, Invocations etc. are all, to use your words, "BS".

By upholding your rigid and emotionally charged opinion you are possibly "throwing the baby out with the bath water".

Take the Taijitu that you use as your avatar, that symbol is perhaps the most potent of all magical symbols known to humanity. Using it with the right intention you can purify food and water, cure sickness and disease, harmonise violent situations, and aid in the achievement spiritual unification.

Excuse me for launching into "Spellwork 101" session, but Magic at it's purest essence is about embodying the great work of the Alchemist ... Thoth/Hermes. It is about recreating within oneself the divine transformation that sublimates 'lead' into 'gold' ... about cultivating the base nature of our sullied conditioned self and using the mystic process to transmute our consciousness to become One with the Universal Essence.

To us in the West this sacred method has mostly become lost and distorted through three millennia of cultural degradation and misdirection. Most of what is left are the hollow fragments of partially understood symbols, chants, rituals etc. ... ghostly whispers of a once mighty tradition. There are many western sages who are tirelessly re-exploring the ancient ways, sifting through the rubble trying to put the pieces back together. True enough, sometimes these re-creations don't quite 'have it' ... it is a work in progress.

But thankfully in the East the sacred method was preserved virtually intact, and through the ancient traditions like Tao we recieve the mystic process of Inner Alchemy that is vibrantly alive. The Secret Talismanic Characters, Words and Invocations still hold power because the root is still intact.

Whilst true it is the level of one's own acheivement will determine the effectiveness of the arts of Fu Jyeo, the truth is that "Power begets Power", so the use of authentic Taoist 'magick' can quicken one's progress which in turn makes such practices more potent.

mwight your friends' experiments were/are like a bad fancy dress party ... crass imitations of the real thing. Try and allow for the possibility that life is much more mysterious and wonderous then we think.

Blessings,

:lol: we have had this conversation before. Mwight Sounds like you know a couple of dead beats.

unfortunately I too know far too many people who fall into this category. I know one guy who has by far the biggest Occult library i have ever seen, all bought for him by his parents, and stored where he lives, in their Attic. He is covered in 'magical' tattoos, has absolutely no people skill and is on anti depressants. and there are probably thousands+ like him or worse.

Same goes for wanna be Taoists, Tantrics, Martial artists, Shaman, muggles, atheists, fashion victims, potheads, blah blah blah. there are millions of mal-adapted people living in their parents basements, simply accepting whatever belief system is most comfortable for them to accept.

that doesn't make everyone in their chosen field in their category.

What I have learnt from Magick is that if you want the real stuff you have to dig for it, and go 110%, and you have to really live it. Which doesnt mean just reading shlock like ted andrews and wearing a purple velvet robe around like most of the fat pagans out there.

As for Enlightenment cant say, ain't there yet. What about all the ancient lama's who sat around all day in deep meditation and never got there. Wasted lives? they never even had any fun...

Most systems will agree that a 'prerequisite' for enlightenment is the breaking down the Ego structures. Magick can be Superb for achieving this as you can regularly completely change your sense of self, thus slowly realizing the ego's dream like nature.

For me Magick is the perfect adjunct for my Spiritual path.

And it Rocks!

Occasionally someone asks me why I practice Magick and I find it really hard to answer. I can say "Oh, it help me change things, or create things..." but that just doesn't really cut it for me. How can I convey the feeling of Directly interacting with the Conscious Living Universe - The intense Joy of being in reciprocal relationship with all of life - The constant deepening sense that it is all just a grand play of Consciousness - The complete Mystical breakthrough that a good ritual can deliver - The full opening of ones feeling capacity to everything in existence...

Most people seem dead and grey to me. I cant believe how shut down humans are to everything, and how little Magick they have in their lives, mainly because of Fascist patriarchal religions telling everyone that they have the only true and sanctioned way to reality. I just feel a great compassion for them.

Because of Magick.

In my Tantric Tradition I guess you could say that Magick is on the Shakti/Energy/Immanent side of reality and Meditation is on the Shiva/Consciousness/Transcendent side and also that you cant separate Shiva from Shakti, or Spirit from Creation. Its all one and magick is our birth right.

In Joy and Love

Seth Ananda

Edited by Seth Ananda

Sorry Stig,

I call BS.

If you think magick of any kind is so powerful, then lets see it. And this isn't just directed to you its to anyone else here also... seth etc.

Show one example. Just one..

Post a video of you using mantras or symbols sigils, potions, chanting, or spells and crystals to produce some paranormal phenomenon.

There is tons of awesome research done on qigong, neigong, metta meditation, tummo meditation.

Lots of things believed to be impossible caught on camera and studied in a laboratory... Monks who can control their metabolism, sit out in the snow all night naked or go into a coma like state and be pronounced dead by MDs, monks who can generate huge amounts of gamma band brainwaves, qigong masters who can throw chopsticks through sheet metal from 15 feet, and monks who can throw sowing needles through 1/2in glass, qigong masters who produce huge amounts of infrasonic sound 70db or more and infrared radiation from their palms, anomalies in the decay rates of cesium via qigong, and lots more. I've got a whole video section in my personal practice section of really awesome documentaries on these guys...

But you'd think we'd see SOMETHING like this for modern newagey magick users if there was one shred of validity to any of it wouldn't you?????

So I challenge you to present me with some good evidence....

lets see it... put your money where your mouth is.

Edited by mwight

Sorry Stig,

I call BS.

If you think magick of any kind is so powerful, then lets see it. And this isn't just directed to you its to anyone else here also... seth etc.

Show one example. Just one..

Post a video of you using mantras or symbols sigils, potions, chanting, or spells and crystals to produce some paranormal phenomenon.

There is tons of awesome research done on qigong, neigong, metta meditation, tummo meditation.

Lots of things believed to be impossible caught on camera and studied in a laboratory... Monks who can control their metabolism, sit out in the snow all night naked or go into a coma like state and be pronounced dead by MDs, monks who can generate huge amounts of gamma band brainwaves, qigong masters who can throw chopsticks through sheet metal from 15 feet, and monks who can throw sowing needles through 1/2in glass, qigong masters who produce huge amounts of infrasonic sound 70db or more and infrared radiation from their palms, anomalies in the decay rates of cesium via qigong, and lots more. I've got a whole video section in my personal practice section of really awesome documentaries on these guys...

But you'd think we'd see SOMETHING like this for modern newagey magick users if there was one shred of validity to any of it wouldn't you?????

So I challenge you to present me with some good evidence....

lets see it... put your money where your mouth is.

NO :P

But I will ask you to reread the why I do Magick bit in my last post. Its not to become a kungfu genius or to damage someones car door with my eating utensil.

Narrow mindedness does not become you.

Leave Alone the 'Prove it' mentality. It can never be proved enough. for every demonstration there will be a hundred more Skeptics lining up to disprove it.

Also there is a vast amount of brainwave study available on trance and ritual effects done if you are really interested. Psychologists have studied Shaman, mediums, channelers and Magicians.

Seth Ananda.

seth,

The point I am making is there is plenty of evidence to support qigong, neigong, tummo, and metta meditations...

There isn't any (that I know of) to support magickal chants, sigils, rituals, etc.

Also I fail to see how its narrow minded to reject systems which aren't validated with hard evidence, thats just being rational.

Edited by mwight

I agree with the view that the basis of any practice has to be deep formless meditation but I am with Stig on the purpose of magic. I once discussed the formless/form mediation i.e. just sitting versus mantra, visualization and so on with a Rinpoche and he told me to read "The woman's role in the dharma" from The Hundred Thousand Songs of Milarepa"..."clouds are but manifestations of the sky."

I cannot do and have never even tried to perform any siddhi type tricks or demonstrations - so you won't get any vids from me. I am also completely unconvinced by any of the vids I have seen especially as any stage magician could probably reproduce them. I think these things are possible but only come to fruition through forcing that kind of path and/or as an adjunct to real spiritual progress.

Now this is one of the most interesting and informative threads that's come along in a while (still below apepch7's Egyptian threads and articles though).

What effect would chanting goddess names as a mantra/chant have Should i use multiple goddesses or just one.
I think it depends if you're from the school of thought that believes that all goddesses are manifestations of the one Primal Goddess that manifests in different ways for different times, places and peoples. If so, then it's purely a matter of faith and sincerity on your part. However it would be prudent to do some research into any goddess that you intend to chant the name of.

As a person of european descent i am finding it really interesting. It seems to be deeply rooted in our culture
R J Stewart has a set of audio CDs called Advanced Magical Arts. One of the journeys involves travelling deep into the earth to meet the Goddess.

They live in their parents basements and are 30+ now and still convinced that next week they will win the lottery because this new spell will work, they even sacrificed an animal this time... using its soul as the fuel for the spell... surely it will work this time. It never does...
This nearly brought me to tears - really.

Mwight, you know those monks who do tummo? They also chant mantras. A lot of them. They probably chanted hundreds of thousands of mantras before they even learned it.

That said, I don't really buy wicca and a lot of new age stuff either. I mean maybe people can have some benefit, better life, but that's it. But I think similarly about qigong (except I know for sure it's not just bs unlike some other things) which you value so highly...

Sign in to follow this