jjw

Choosing a Practise

I'm trying to figure out what kind of qigong or internal martial art to practise in order to clear out some energy blockages and to warm up my hands. A couple of years ago I practised some Tai Chi and Xing Yi, and did lots of Zhan Zhuang, but it didn't seem to help with either problem (although it did help relax the shoulders).

Any suggestions?

Also, I'm living in Brisbane at the moment; does anyone know a good qigong or IMA teacher in the area?

Thanks,

JJW

Hello

I think you should try first to find a teacher in yoga or qigong close to where you live. Then you can see what advices you get to solve your problems, and teacher that help up your problems is the one to hang on to.

Thats one possible aproach for you.

F D

One of the best Yang Taiji teachers in the country:

http://www.totaltravel.com.au/travel/qld/b...itness/10049691

He teaches in various days and locations all around Briz. His name is Glenn Blythe from Huang Sheng Shyan's lineage:

A former student of Mantak Chia teaches Qigong in West End, his name is Jason. He is good. I can give you his e-mail address if you want. Just PM me.

Btw, where did you learn Xingyi in Briz?? I am dying to find a teacher in here.

Edited by durkhrod chogori

This may be just what your looking for

http://www.3treasure.com/

here is what someone had to say about him

Probably one of the best i always recomend is Master Jirong Zhang in brisbane.

He is a real daoist & grew up on wudang mountain. Many people like to make up stories about Master Zhang becasue his prices are a little expensive.

Most of the time thou you will see that the students could not hack the hard training required by any & all authentic internal schools.

Master zhang is the only master in brisbane teaching publicly who can manifest chi like an electric current anytime anywhere among many other high level abilities.

He walks the walk & offeres many high level qigong courses which go for exactly 6 months per level. If your interested about Genuine daoist cultivation Jirong is among the best anywhere in the world.

And apparently a student of John Chang has learnt from him

Durkhrod,

Those videos are hilarious! I learned Xing Yi back home in Canada (just the basics), but there is at least one school in Brisbane that teaches it: www.brisbanekungfu.com. I went and met with one of their instructors one day (Sifu Richard), and though he seemed like a nice enough guy he didn't really know what to make of my cold hands.

Have you studied with Glenn Blythe? Is his schedule available somewhere online?

Thanks for the help,

JJW

Edited by jjw

Yes I am living currently here.

If you ever go to Taiwan (one of the best places on Earth to learn IMA) get yourself a copy of this excellent guide:

http://formosaneijia.com/my_products/

And apparently a student of John Chang has learnt from him

I know who you are referring to ;)

Have you met him as well?

But I didn't recommend him to the original poster for various reasons.

Btw, I didn't know that he learnt from J. Zhang.

Are you one of his students?

Durkhrod,

Those videos are hilarious! I learned Xing Yi back home in Canada (just the basics), but there is at least one school in Brisbane that teaches it: www.brisbanekungfu.com. I went and met with one of their instructors one day (Sifu Richard), and though he seemed like a nice enough guy he didn't really know what to make of my cold hands.

Have you studied with Glenn Blythe? Is his schedule available somewhere online?

Glenn Blythe knows his stuff really well. Jason is one of his students so I know what I am talking about.

You need to ring up and they will send you a flyer. Sorry nothing online.

I would stay away from a Wushu school you mentioned. Nah!!

Hi jjw. as far as i know there is a Yang Mian teacher in brisbane. I think i saw the number on the Yang Mian website. It is an internal art that quickly develops great power. Quite awesome. The thru-arm practice will permanently end any cold hand symptoms for anyone full stop. It also quickly teaches the body to become very relaxed. It has less on the chigung side though if thats what you want.

Good luck finding something good. :)

Seth.

jjw,

Out your way you may want to give Nicholas Karaam a call. He is an instructor under Heaven Man Earth system. Genuine Taiji. Also part of the Huang Lineage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OahN6SnD5o <<Taiji Push hands

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3E3UEpHsWvo <<Qi gong/iron robe/taiji boxing etc

His number is 55763065 or mobile on 0415 640 989.

Fees are very affordable for classes. To get good very quick, privates are the way to go. Depends on your training needs. Classes are great for partner work to build sensitivity through set push hands, then up to free push at higher levels. Iron robe + chigung stuff are taught in seminars but may be transmitted once you are ready.

First level starts with Earth element chigung for rooting, and manifesting sinking and rising.

Good luck on your path, enjoy your practice.

PS: If you are clairvoyant, enjoy watching the celestial sentries protecting the compound.

I'm trying to figure out what kind of qigong or internal martial art to practise in order to clear out some energy blockages and to warm up my hands. A couple of years ago I practised some Tai Chi and Xing Yi, and did lots of Zhan Zhuang, but it didn't seem to help with either problem (although it did help relax the shoulders).

Any suggestions?

Also, I'm living in Brisbane at the moment; does anyone know a good qigong or IMA teacher in the area?

Thanks,

JJW

You're not a vegetarian are you? I had a classmate several years ago who was pretty good in taiji but could never get his hands to warm up. According to our teacher it was because he was too yin from the vegetarian diet.

Do you mean Brisbane Australia?

Master Feng is comming there soon. I've been learning/practicing Taidao from Master Feng for 2 years. Highly highly recomended. :)

http://www.taidow.com/about-taidow.html

Hey Mat

So what exactly is Taidow? It talks about a master dieing in sitting meditation over a thousand years ago, but not much else. So I am assuming it is a sitting meditation practice. It is said to profoundly oxygenate the blood, so I am inferring it is likely, in part, a breathing practice also. What is it exactly? Please elaborate and provide some more links if you would?

Many thanks!

In kind regards,

Adam.

Seth Ananda,

I didn't see a teacher in Brisbane listed on the Yang Mian website... just Perth, Sydney and Melbourne. Thanks for introducing the art, though.

Mouse,

Thanks for the contact information; I'm going to go and see one of Glenn Blythe's classes first, and if that doesn't work out give Nicholas a call.

Do you train there?

Yatzhong,

Yes, except under very particular circumstances I don't eat meat, dairy, or eggs. If this is truly the problem then I guess I'm out of luck with warming up the hands.

JJW

Edited by jjw

I know who you are referring to ;)

Have you met him as well?

But I didn't recommend him to the original poster for various reasons.

Btw, I didn't know that he learnt from J. Zhang.

Are you one of his students?

Nahh i was considering it for a while but decided to move to melbourne to pursue a diffrent path.I will surely check him out next time im in brisbane though just to see what he has to offer

Have you ever met/heard of Brynn Orr?

That is a very good point. When I was vegetarian I was easily cold and had cold hands and feet too. Funny why it didn't register.

Basically, I was over yin from the following:

Vegetarianism

Meditation

No hard martial art

Retention

Chanting

Studying scripture

etc

To overcome the over yin activities my teacher suggested the following:

1) Holding taiji posture to failure (constantly releasing tension into ground through active relaxation and proper structure, really heats up the body)

2) waking up early and pulling yang energy from sun into body. (only ascending Yang is good. After 11am onwards can be considered descending yang... Not suitable to absorb and caused me to have vomitting and over yang excess.. hard to describe but just try and you will see)

3) Push hands practice

JJW,

I train in the HME system but am not in QLD. Although I've met with Nic a few times and he is a great instructor. A sign of a good teacher is to watch his students. If they can do the things the teacher does, and surpass him, it means the teachings are transmitted full and complete. Many masters have students who get nowhere (despite decades of training) because of ego. Avoid that path.

A good teacher in Taiji also constantly "gives" his center to the student initially to allow him to issue so that he can refine his technique. Then slowly make it progressively harder so that he can learn to search for the center thus building sensitivity. Some masters like to throw students all the time so that they can remain the "master".

Expect to put in hard work but trust that you'll get results and have no questions left unanswered. With a good teacher your efforts yield results.

This is a video of Glenn teaching if I'm not wrong. I have heard that he is a nice person but I have never met him. So instruction-wise I cannot comment. In the video you see them training in "single shoulder push" which is the first set push hands you learn under the Huang system.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1s8fogrbb8I&NR=1

Good luck with your search and enjoy your practice. Do keep up posted on your decision and progress!

mouse

That is a very good point. When I was vegetarian I was easily cold and had cold hands and feet too. Funny why it didn't register.

mouse

Relax let go of tensions and you won't be cold

and

you can be a vegetarian.

How many of us walk - walked around in the winter shoulders hunched up tense against the cold.

One day we let our shoulders go and we are no longer cold.

I am warmer and have better circulation as a vegetarian than I did when I ate dead bodies.

Relax let go

Relax let go of tensions and you won't be cold

and

you can be a vegetarian.

How many of us walk - walked around in the winter shoulders hunched up tense against the cold.

One day we let our shoulders go and we are no longer cold.

I am warmer and have better circulation as a vegetarian than I did when I ate dead bodies.

Relax let go

mYTHmAKER,

May I ask how long you e been vegetarian?

I felt like you for about 4-5 months into it. Head was clearer, body was light and heath was tip top. After 6 months onwards combined with fasting etc my body was pretty weak. Mentally I was bright and energetically was good. Only the physical was suffering. I dropped from 72KG to 64KG no matter how much I ate or trained.

Spleen was particularly weak and was belching heaps. Like majorly long loud ones.

Perhaps my constitution was not as good as yours. Do let us know your experience. Cheers.

mouse

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

JJW

weird questions:

how are your eyes & ears? perfect? is one of them overly sensitive, weak, or prone to clogs/infections?

how is your anxiety level in general? prone to stress or panic?

how deep did you go in your practices? and do you currently meditate?

have your hands always been cold, or only since you've been a vegetarian? and how long has that been?

you know, you may just need a good daily shaking practice, and then resume practicing what you already know. you wouldn't need a teacher for that.

also, hsing yi chuan would be a good way to regulate the organs. maybe control some water. create some fire. spleen & liver.

mYTHmAKER,

May I ask how long you e been vegetarian?

I felt like you for about 4-5 months into it. Head was clearer, body was light and heath was tip top. After 6 months onwards combined with fasting etc my body was pretty weak. Mentally I was bright and energetically was good. Only the physical was suffering. I dropped from 72KG to 64KG no matter how much I ate or trained.

Spleen was particularly weak and was belching heaps. Like majorly long loud ones.

Perhaps my constitution was not as good as yours. Do let us know your experience. Cheers.

mouse

40 years with the exception of the occasional bug in my lettuce. LOL

You have to make sure you have a proper diet.

You were doing something wrong. Blood tests can tell what is lacking.

Your body will adjust weight to fit your frame properly.

Vegetarians eating properly will usually weigh less than a flesh eater.

I am 5' 10 1/2 and weigh 150 - 152 pounds

If you are in england - I have a hunch you might be - you might check out Dr Keki Sidhwa - google

Otherwise Dr Joel Fuhrman - has a web site with a lot of information.

Hey Mat

So what exactly is Taidow? It talks about a master dieing in sitting meditation over a thousand years ago, but not much else. So I am assuming it is a sitting meditation practice. It is said to profoundly oxygenate the blood, so I am inferring it is likely, in part, a breathing practice also. What is it exactly? Please elaborate and provide some more links if you would?

Many thanks!

In kind regards,

Adam.

Hi Adam.

It can be done sitting standing lying down. The most important element of the practice consists of reciting a certain sound or sounds depending on the level being practiced.

The sounds are based on universal frequencies prior to form ie - dark matter (wuji) Othersounds follow the 60 year universal yearly cycle which will depend on birthday & gender. All of this is according to ancient feng shui principles that are not well known about these days.

Reciting the sounds is meditation, qigong & alchemy all at once. It is like a realignment with the universal intelligence - very harmonising and clarifying.

The testimonials on his site are real. I've heard many firsthand that have astounded their own doctors. Many types of healing occur from this practice, it's common, and not surprising once you understand the prnciples behind it. ie - harmonising, shedding layers of conditioning etc.

I don't talk about personal specific experiences on a forum, and never have done. Im just a bit private in that regard. In 2 years that i've been practicing, i've had many things happen on many levels including great physical improvements. And yet, one thing i that i will say is that the practice has helped open up greater layers of stillness, peace & compassion.

For more info, you can email Master Feng. He's teaching at the moment, so he might not reply for a few weeks.

Hope this helps. All the best Adam

Edited by mat black

mYTHmAKER,

Thats a long time! Good to hear a success story. I eat very well on vegetarian diet, lots of beans, sprouts, fruits, veg, grains, rice, nuts. (all certified organic)

I may have gotten the quantities and ratios wrong as I've never really sat down to plan the meals methodically.

One glaring example of my health being off was when a group of friends and my girlfriend and I walked a long way quickly to a dinner appointment. When everyone reached the spot, they took their scarves, jackets etc off and were sweating. My girlfriend and I both were cold and had to request for hot water to be served.

The advice given by my teacher helped to bring the heat back so things balanced out. In the end I gave it up as I moved back with family and so had meals prepared. We're big on communal living.

Anyway, I'm based out of Australia not England but thank you for your info. Was interesting.

Enjoy your practice.

mouse

weird questions:

how are your eyes & ears? perfect? is one of them overly sensitive, weak, or prone to clogs/infections?

how is your anxiety level in general? prone to stress or panic?

how deep did you go in your practices? and do you currently meditate?

have your hands always been cold, or only since you've been a vegetarian? and how long has that been?

you know, you may just need a good daily shaking practice, and then resume practicing what you already know. you wouldn't need a teacher for that.

also, hsing yi chuan would be a good way to regulate the organs. maybe control some water. create some fire. spleen & liver.

Hundun,

I'll pm you this information, as some of it is a little private.

Best wishes,

JJW

Seth Ananda,

I didn't see a teacher in Brisbane listed on the Yang Mian website... just Perth, Sydney and Melbourne. Thanks for introducing the art, though.

http://www.yangmian.com.au/about_masteryang.asp

LOL! Wushu, I'd stay away from that stuff. Having lived in Taiwan and met real Taoist warriors like He Jing Han and Luo Dexiu I ignore these lesser teachers.

Have you ever met/heard of Brynn Orr?

Heard of him, I know he teaches in the Australian College of Natural Medicine, but that's about it.

Hi JJW,

Two short and easy-to-learn qigong forms that in my experience bring a lot of qi to the hands are:

1. Xiang Gong (aka Fragrance or Incense Qigong): level 1 is about 15 simple movements, all done with the arms and hands. It got the name because supposedly advanced practitioners start to smell pleasant aromas while doing the form. This has never happened to me, but I felt the energy right off the bat. No special breathing or visualization techniques are necessary with this form. You can find a document with directions here: http://www.qi.org/fragrant/index.html I learned it off this DVD: Dr Jin's Self Healing Series

2. Pan Gu Shen Gong: the basic moving form involves circular movements of the hands in 3 positions, while doing visualizations, and short recitations at the beginning and end of the practice. This is a "channeled" rather than a traditional form, but it seems to produce excellent results. In fact, when I took the medical qigong program at the Academy for 5 Elements Acupuncture, this was the primary method used for the practitioner's cultivation (although we learned many other forms as well). You can buy a course off their web site, or there may be instructors in your country.

Whenever I do either of these forms my palms get red, blotchy, and really tingle, so perhaps they may help you with your cold hands. (Interestingly, I also get strong tingling on the soles of my feet after doing these)

Good luck! --Ken

Hello Everybody,

Doesnt Brynn Orr train privately with Sifu Eric Koh in Brisbane ? You can also try Master Yang in brisbane who teaches Qigong and uses Direct Qi Transmission to open the Key Meridians. But He is pretty hard to find .

There is Master Liu Xin from china who teaches at the university of Queensland as well.

Good Luck :D

I heard about brynn orr around the time he wrote some books about qi gong and internal alchemy.He had alot of great stuff to say in his yahoo group which unfortunatly is long gorn now.Ive been trying to get my hands on these books but to no avail