tommyprotramp

Putting together/comparison Yoga and Daoist Cultivation terminology.

Posted (edited)

I've putted together Yogic and Daoist cultivation terms together for the same/similar practices.

Maybe it will be of help for someone.

Chinese terms are in pinyin.

🕉️ Yoga.
☯️ Xiu/Xiuyang/Yangsheng.

🕉️ Pratyahara.
☯️ Neiguan + Neishi + Neiting.

🕉️ Asana.
☯️ Daoyin/Waigong.

🕉️ Pranayama.
☯️ Qigong.

🕉️ Prana Vidya.
☯️ Waiqi Liaofa.

🕉️ Dharana.
☯️ Yigong.

🕉️ Dhyana.
☯️ Zuowang.

🕉️ Yama + Niyama.
☯️ Sanbao.

🕉️ Samadhi.
☯️ Shenming.
Edited by tommyprotramp
  • Like 1

I think it would be more accurate and interesting to identify sentences briefly describing the practices and tools used under each term to allow people to identify for themselves where there may be similarities.  In trying to reduce it to a one word equivalence it loses a lot/gets oversimplified and in some cases there is more not in common than in common in the practices equated.    (e.g. pranayama and qi gong). 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, tommyprotramp said:

Couldn't find Sanskrit equivalent for Neidan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amrita

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bindu_(symbol)

13 hours ago, tommyprotramp said:

Maybe it will be of help for someone.

nice effort. however that someone will have to keep in mind that these are western terms for the western fantasies about the original. There is a word for these words  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simulacra_and_Simulation 

Edited by Taoist Texts
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Taoist Texts said:

however that someone will have to keep in mind that these are western terms for the western fantasies about the original.

What do you mean?

11 hours ago, Sahaja said:

I think it would be more accurate and interesting to identify sentences briefly describing the practices and tools used under each term to allow people to identify for themselves where there may be similarities.

We can do this together. 👻

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, tommyprotramp said:

What do you mean?

i mean there is a western fake  "yoga" and there is a real yoga. which one do you mean in your glossary above?

Edited by Taoist Texts

14 minutes ago, Taoist Texts said:

i mean there is a western fake  "yoga" and there is a real yoga. which one do you mean in your glossary above?

Wasn't western fake yoga limited to asanas?

In the glossary you see 8 limbs of Yoga. I added Prana Vidya which is ancient part of yogic practices closely associated with Pranayama.

The source of those 8 limbs seem to be Ashtanga Yoga. Is Ashtanga fake?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, tommyprotramp said:

Is Ashtanga fake?

the real yoga is an ethnic-exclusive and/or caste-exclusive religion. anything with a name yoga on it which is not that - is fake.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

that's kind of  like saying:

the real energy is an ethnic-exclusive and/or caste-exclusive religion. anything with a name energy on it which is not that - is fake.

which is absurd...

•  
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

True Yogas are like true sciences, thus not really bound by ethnic or caste exclusive religions,  granted various yogas can be found to be related to and have ethnic and religious type forms but even those are not the Source of Yogas or spiritual sciences if you will, which are (more or less) beyond  human limits thus beyond only human derived ethnical or religious forms or sources.

Edited by old3bob
  • Like 1

On 5/10/2024 at 4:29 PM, tommyprotramp said:
🕉️ Yama + Niyama.
☯️ Sanbao.

I don't think the mapping is accurate. Sanbao refers to "Jing-Qi-Shen." 

Yama + Niyama are related to the conduct of the practitioner

Yamas (Don'ts) Niyamas (Do's)
Ahimsa: Non-violence (avoid causing harm to others through thoughts, words, or actions) Saucha: Cleanliness/Purity (maintain cleanliness of body, mind, and surroundings)
Satya: Truthfulness (refrain from lying or deceiving others) Santosha: Contentment (cultivate gratitude and satisfaction with what you have)
Asteya: Non-stealing (avoid taking what is not freely given) Tapas: Self-discipline (practice self-control and dedication to spiritual growth)
Brahmacharya: Continence/Moderation (practice moderation in all aspects of life, particularly in sensual pleasures) Svadhyaya: Self-study (engage in introspection, study spiritual texts, and seek self-understanding)
Aparigraha: Non-greed (avoid excessive attachment to material possessions) Ishvara Pranidhana: Surrender to a Higher Power (cultivate faith, devotion, and surrender to a higher power or purpose)

On 5/10/2024 at 4:32 PM, tommyprotramp said:

Couldn't find Sanskrit equivalent for Neidan.

tantra - though it is a much larger topic than neidan