Lois

Tough Guy

Tough Guys

In every nation, there are special individuals who fundamentally stand out from the masses. They possess entirely different qualities. Their attitude towards reality is completely different. In Germany, they were called Aryans, although the evil avatar Hitler used this term for very sinister purposes. I wouldn't want to call them Aryans because it's unclear whether that word truly reflects the essence of these chosen people. So let's call them tough guys. Obtaining information about them is extremely difficult because tough guys usually have little awareness of who they are and what qualities they possess. This is the most hidden part of the information about what exists in the world. One such person is more valuable to the Creator than a million others. Of course, in this case, I mean certain things that tough guys can do that other people cannot. The state of tough guys is entirely dependent on the Creator, in the sense that they are usually in complete peace, but when necessary, the Creator awakens in them a very complex state where a person can single-handedly defeat an entire army. Such individuals are mentioned in the Torah. And we can understand this meaning in the story of how Abraham, together with his servant Eliezer, defeated an army and rescued his relative Lot from them. Ordinary people, when they read about this, think that Abraham and Eliezer were in a normal state because they simply do not know of other states. In reality, there are special states that the Creator grants when a person becomes truly interesting. In this state, one can do things that ordinary people do not even suspect. Tough guys often recognize each other by special signs, which I'll call Aryan here (although I do not recommend using this term). By guys, of course, I mean women too. They all have a special spiritual language of communication. Surroundings often provoke tough guys, cultivating patience in them, but I would not recommend provoking them too much because the Creator can put them into a special state.

OIG.3VrwvI577tgGujaVM28y.jpg

• Sad 1

You recommend not using the term, then repeatedly use it.

You have a decidedly odd online presence.  When you're not posting random, surreal ai generated images your text offerings have a thinly weiled anti-semitic tone and also feel chat gpt influenced.

This is another thinly veiled decidedly odd offering lois.

Reported and then back on ignore.

• Like 4

Hi Lois,

I've always found your posts/threads interesting. Maybe some a bit quirky for some, yet, those some, are not your intended audience.

In the past, I have put questions to you to clarify certain things, as we know language can be misinterpreted, ambiguous, especially when one is posting in a language which is not their first natural language. 

@silent thunder thinks that this post is of a thinly veiled antisemitic nature.

How do you respond to this ?

Thank you for your attention regarding this and I look forward to your response.

Edit to add, that Timothy McVeigh was in some folks mind a tough guy type that felt compelled to take action. Are you familiar with Timothy McVeigh?

Edited by zerostao
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, silent thunder said:

You have a decidedly odd online presence.  When you're not posting random, surreal ai generated images your text offerings have a thinly weiled anti-semitic tone and also feel chat gpt influenced.

Are you trying to hint at a thermonuclear war between Russia and the USA?

OIG бессмыслица4(2).jpg

2 minutes ago, zerostao said:

Hi Lois,

I've always found your posts/threads interesting. Maybe some a bit quirky for some, yet, those some, are not your intended audience.

In the past, I have put questions to you to clarify certain things, as we know language can be misinterpreted, ambiguous, especially when one is posting in a language which is not their first natural language. 

Thank you for your attention regarding this and I look forward to your response.

Hello. He has the wrong worldview. I relate to the Jewish leadership.

OIG.p7_HfW84qZpJs3vpzuun.jpg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Lois said:

OIG бессмыслица4(2).jpg

Let's hold out hope that does not come to pass. These are tough times and geopolitical posturing is going on, for sure. Do you think World War can be avoided?

2 minutes ago, Lois said:

Hello. He has the wrong worldview. I relate to the Jewish leadership.

OIG.p7_HfW84qZpJs3vpzuun.jpg

Thank you for clarifying more specifically.

It is a shame, that the will of the common citizens is often disregarded by their "leaders" who pursue policies suited to their own desires.

I basically look at all career politicians as sociopaths/criminals.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, silent thunder said:

:D  I been saying that for 10 years  .  . .  well, the AI  stuff is more recent .

Dont forget all those 'mysteries'   he shared with us  (usually pretty lame  and easily transparent ripoffs and 'ancient'  'mysteries ' )  ;  of the lowest quality .

Now we have 'Aryan' tough guys , fueled by God who are Bible heroes for  Russian Jews ... all  explained by personal fantasy AI generated / Lois directed  'explanatory images '  .  Perhaps its a new art form , unlike surrealism, which is supposed to show ideas/ associations / echoes from the unconscious  this stuff shown direct ego projection / material 'wishful thinking ' .

He isnt really here for the conversation .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zerostao said:

Hi Lois,

Edit to add, that Timothy McVeigh was in some folks mind a tough guy type that felt compelled to take action. Are you familiar with Timothy McVeigh?

I have tried .  Good luck with that one ! 

Communicating nicely and rationally  with Lois .... even considering language difference  and his use of on-line translator , its difficult to tell if its him or the translator ... but when one compares all the other stuff he does with this issue .... nah, its more than the translator  at issue here .

You will not get a reasonable response ... and if anyone does , I shall eat my hat ! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lois said:

OIG бессмыслица4(2).jpg

You see !    ^ 

That CANT be an online translator problem .

• Like 1

Mhe ..... I prefer some of Lois' older classics

Edited by Nungali
  • Haha 1

To me the phrase "tough guy" means someone(usually a man) that likes to posture himself as if he was stronger or braver, more than any around him, but in truth he would be the first one to fall and beg for mercy or flee when against someone or something that he considers to be a threat.

There is a reason why the image of a "tough guy" usually is used for bullies and the stereotyped "macho man".

• Like 1

Like the guy that goes around threatening to beat people up 'taking the law into his own hands '  .... but when  someone challenges him , that he is worried about ....

runs off to the police for protection   :rolleyes: .

Here is what I consider a 'tough man '  , even if  others do not think so, one has to admit he was 'earnest ' .

On 24 February, realising that they would be trapped until the following spring, Shackleton ordered the abandonment of ship's routine and her conversion to a winter station.[139]Endurance drifted slowly northward with the ice through the following months. When spring arrived in September, the breaking of the ice and its later movements put extreme pressures on the ship's hull.[140]

Shackleton had been hoping that the ship, when released from the ice, could work her way back towards Vahsel Bay, but his hopes were dashed on 24 October when water began pouring in. After a few days, with the position at 69°5′ S, 51°30′ W, he gave the order to abandon ship, saying, "She's going down!"; and men, provisions and equipment were transferred to camps on the ice.[141] On 21 November 1915, the wreck of Endurance finally slipped beneath the surface.[142][h]

For almost two months, Shackleton and his party camped on a large, flat floe, hoping that it would drift towards Paulet Island, approximately 250 miles (402 km) away, where it was known that stores were cached.[145] After failed attempts to march across the ice to this island, Shackleton decided to set up another more permanent camp (Patience Camp) on another floe, and trust to the drift of the ice to take them towards a safe landing.[146] By 17 March, their ice camp was within 60 miles (97 km) of Paulet Island;[147] however, separated by impassable ice, they were unable to reach it. On 9 April, their ice floe broke into two, and Shackleton ordered the crew into the lifeboats and to head for the nearest land.[148]

After five harrowing days at sea, the exhausted men landed their three lifeboats at Elephant Island, 346 miles (557 km) from where the Endurance had sunk.[149] This was the first time they had set foot on solid ground for 497 days.[150] Shackleton's concern for his men was such that he gave his mittens to photographer Frank Hurley, who had lost his own mittens during the boat journey. Shackleton suffered frostbitten fingers as a result.[151]

Open-boat journey

A black-and-white photograph of a group of people guiding the James Caird away from a shore Launching the James Caird from the shore of Elephant Island, 24 April 1916

Elephant Island was an inhospitable place, far from any shipping routes. Rescue by means of a chance discovery was very unlikely, so Shackleton decided to risk an open-boat journey to the South Georgia whaling stations where he knew help would be available.[152] The strongest of the tiny 20-foot (6.1 m) lifeboats, christened James Caird after the expedition's chief sponsor, was chosen for the trip.[152][153] Ship's carpenter Harry McNish made various improvements, which included raising the sides, strengthening the keel, building a makeshift deck of wood and canvas, and sealing the work with oil paint and seal blood.[152]

Shackleton chose five companions for the journey:[153] the ship's captain Frank Worsley, who would be responsible for navigation; Tom Crean, who had "begged to go"; two strong sailors in John Vincent and Timothy McCarthy; and McNish.[152] The carpenter had earlier clashed with Shackleton when the party was stranded on the ice but, while not forgetting his earlier insubordination, Shackleton recognised McNish's value for this particular job.[154]

Shackleton insisted on packing only enough supplies to last for four weeks, knowing that if they failed to reach South Georgia within that time, the boat and its crew would be lost.[155] The James Caird was launched on 24 April 1916;[153] during the next fifteen days, it sailed through the waters of the southern ocean, at the mercy of the stormy seas and in peril of capsizing. Thanks to Worsley's navigational skills, the cliffs of South Georgia came into sight on 8 May, but hurricane-force winds prevented any possibility of landing. The party was forced to ride out the storm offshore, in continual danger of being dashed against the rocks. They later learned that the same storm had sunk a 500-ton steamer bound for South Georgia from Buenos Aires.[156]

The next day, they were able to land on the unoccupied southern shore, and a period of rest and recuperation followed. Rather than risking another sea journey to reach the whaling stations on the northern coast, Shackleton decided to attempt a land crossing of the island. Although it is likely that Norwegian whalers had already crossed the island at other points on ski, no one had previously attempted this particular route.[157] For their journey, the men were only equipped with boots they had adapted for climbing by pushing screws into the soles, a carpenter's adze, and 50 feet (15 m) of rope. Leaving McNish, Vincent and McCarthy at the landing point on South Georgia, Shackleton travelled with Worsley and Crean over 32 miles (51 km)[149] of dangerous mountainous terrain for 36 hours, reaching the whaling station at Stromness on 20 May.[158]

The next successful crossing of South Georgia was in October 1955, by the British explorer Duncan Carse, who travelled much of the same route as Shackleton's party. In tribute to their achievement, he wrote: "I do not know how they did it, except that they had to—three men of the heroic age of Antarctic exploration with 50 feet of rope between them—and a carpenter's adze".[159]

Rescue

A black-and-white photograph of a group of men waving to something in the distance "All Safe, All Well", allegedly depicting Shackleton's return to Elephant Island in August 1916. To create this image, a photograph of the departure of the James Caird in April 1916 was doctored by photographer Frank Hurley.[160]

Shackleton immediately sent a boat to pick up the three men from the other side of South Georgia Island, while he set to work organising the rescue of those left behind on Elephant Island. His first three attempts were foiled by sea ice, which blocked the approaches to the island. He appealed to the Chilean government and was offered the use of the Yelcho, a small seagoing tug from the Chilean Navy. Yelcho, commanded by Captain Luis Pardo, and the British whaler Southern Sky, reached Elephant Island on 30 August 1916, at which point the men had been isolated there for four and a half months. Shackleton quickly evacuated all 22 men.[161] The party was taken on Yelcho first to Punta Arenas and after some days to Valparaíso in Chile, where crowds warmly welcomed them back to civilisation.[162]

There remained the men of the Ross Sea party, who had been stranded at Cape Evans in McMurdo Sound when their ship, the Aurora, was blown from its anchorage and driven out to sea, unable to return. After a drift of many months, the ship had returned to New Zealand. Shackleton travelled there to join Aurora, and sailed with her to rescue the Ross Sea party which, despite many hardships, had successfully completed its depot-laying mission. However, three lives had been lost, including that of its commander Aeneas Mackintosh.[163]

Then, when he finally got home , suffering from exhaustion , he enlisted in the army due to the ongoing WWI .

18 hours ago, Nungali said:

Like the guy that goes around threatening to beat people up 'taking the law into his own hands '  .... but when  someone challenges him , that he is worried about ....

runs off to the police for protection   :rolleyes: .

Here is what I consider a 'tough man '  , even if  others do not think so, one has to admit he was 'earnest ' .

On 24 February, realising that they would be trapped until the following spring, Shackleton ordered the abandonment of ship's routine and her conversion to a winter station.[139]Endurance drifted slowly northward with the ice through the following months. When spring arrived in September, the breaking of the ice and its later movements put extreme pressures on the ship's hull.[140]

Shackleton had been hoping that the ship, when released from the ice, could work her way back towards Vahsel Bay, but his hopes were dashed on 24 October when water began pouring in. After a few days, with the position at 69°5′ S, 51°30′ W, he gave the order to abandon ship, saying, "She's going down!"; and men, provisions and equipment were transferred to camps on the ice.[141] On 21 November 1915, the wreck of Endurance finally slipped beneath the surface.[142][h]

For almost two months, Shackleton and his party camped on a large, flat floe, hoping that it would drift towards Paulet Island, approximately 250 miles (402 km) away, where it was known that stores were cached.[145] After failed attempts to march across the ice to this island, Shackleton decided to set up another more permanent camp (Patience Camp) on another floe, and trust to the drift of the ice to take them towards a safe landing.[146] By 17 March, their ice camp was within 60 miles (97 km) of Paulet Island;[147] however, separated by impassable ice, they were unable to reach it. On 9 April, their ice floe broke into two, and Shackleton ordered the crew into the lifeboats and to head for the nearest land.[148]

After five harrowing days at sea, the exhausted men landed their three lifeboats at Elephant Island, 346 miles (557 km) from where the Endurance had sunk.[149] This was the first time they had set foot on solid ground for 497 days.[150] Shackleton's concern for his men was such that he gave his mittens to photographer Frank Hurley, who had lost his own mittens during the boat journey. Shackleton suffered frostbitten fingers as a result.[151]

Open-boat journey

A black-and-white photograph of a group of people guiding the James Caird away from a shore Launching the James Caird from the shore of Elephant Island, 24 April 1916

Elephant Island was an inhospitable place, far from any shipping routes. Rescue by means of a chance discovery was very unlikely, so Shackleton decided to risk an open-boat journey to the South Georgia whaling stations where he knew help would be available.[152] The strongest of the tiny 20-foot (6.1 m) lifeboats, christened James Caird after the expedition's chief sponsor, was chosen for the trip.[152][153] Ship's carpenter Harry McNish made various improvements, which included raising the sides, strengthening the keel, building a makeshift deck of wood and canvas, and sealing the work with oil paint and seal blood.[152]

Shackleton chose five companions for the journey:[153] the ship's captain Frank Worsley, who would be responsible for navigation; Tom Crean, who had "begged to go"; two strong sailors in John Vincent and Timothy McCarthy; and McNish.[152] The carpenter had earlier clashed with Shackleton when the party was stranded on the ice but, while not forgetting his earlier insubordination, Shackleton recognised McNish's value for this particular job.[154]

Shackleton insisted on packing only enough supplies to last for four weeks, knowing that if they failed to reach South Georgia within that time, the boat and its crew would be lost.[155] The James Caird was launched on 24 April 1916;[153] during the next fifteen days, it sailed through the waters of the southern ocean, at the mercy of the stormy seas and in peril of capsizing. Thanks to Worsley's navigational skills, the cliffs of South Georgia came into sight on 8 May, but hurricane-force winds prevented any possibility of landing. The party was forced to ride out the storm offshore, in continual danger of being dashed against the rocks. They later learned that the same storm had sunk a 500-ton steamer bound for South Georgia from Buenos Aires.[156]

The next day, they were able to land on the unoccupied southern shore, and a period of rest and recuperation followed. Rather than risking another sea journey to reach the whaling stations on the northern coast, Shackleton decided to attempt a land crossing of the island. Although it is likely that Norwegian whalers had already crossed the island at other points on ski, no one had previously attempted this particular route.[157] For their journey, the men were only equipped with boots they had adapted for climbing by pushing screws into the soles, a carpenter's adze, and 50 feet (15 m) of rope. Leaving McNish, Vincent and McCarthy at the landing point on South Georgia, Shackleton travelled with Worsley and Crean over 32 miles (51 km)[149] of dangerous mountainous terrain for 36 hours, reaching the whaling station at Stromness on 20 May.[158]

The next successful crossing of South Georgia was in October 1955, by the British explorer Duncan Carse, who travelled much of the same route as Shackleton's party. In tribute to their achievement, he wrote: "I do not know how they did it, except that they had to—three men of the heroic age of Antarctic exploration with 50 feet of rope between them—and a carpenter's adze".[159]

Rescue

A black-and-white photograph of a group of men waving to something in the distance "All Safe, All Well", allegedly depicting Shackleton's return to Elephant Island in August 1916. To create this image, a photograph of the departure of the James Caird in April 1916 was doctored by photographer Frank Hurley.[160]

Shackleton immediately sent a boat to pick up the three men from the other side of South Georgia Island, while he set to work organising the rescue of those left behind on Elephant Island. His first three attempts were foiled by sea ice, which blocked the approaches to the island. He appealed to the Chilean government and was offered the use of the Yelcho, a small seagoing tug from the Chilean Navy. Yelcho, commanded by Captain Luis Pardo, and the British whaler Southern Sky, reached Elephant Island on 30 August 1916, at which point the men had been isolated there for four and a half months. Shackleton quickly evacuated all 22 men.[161] The party was taken on Yelcho first to Punta Arenas and after some days to Valparaíso in Chile, where crowds warmly welcomed them back to civilisation.[162]

There remained the men of the Ross Sea party, who had been stranded at Cape Evans in McMurdo Sound when their ship, the Aurora, was blown from its anchorage and driven out to sea, unable to return. After a drift of many months, the ship had returned to New Zealand. Shackleton travelled there to join Aurora, and sailed with her to rescue the Ross Sea party which, despite many hardships, had successfully completed its depot-laying mission. However, three lives had been lost, including that of its commander Aeneas Mackintosh.[163]

Then, when he finally got home , suffering from exhaustion , he enlisted in the army due to the ongoing WWI .

TFLD;R

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

On 2/16/2024 at 3:17 PM, Zoya said:

To me the phrase "tough guy" means someone(usually a man) that likes to posture himself as if he was stronger or braver, more than any around him, but in truth he would be the first one to fall and beg for mercy or flee when against someone or something that he considers to be a threat.

There is a reason why the image of a "tough guy" usually is used for bullies and the stereotyped "macho man".

In my work, I deal with people facing pain and fear on a daily basis.

Generally speaking I find women to be "tougher" than men in terms of dealing with pain.

Big, strong, tough looking men often have the most difficulty, as do adolescent and young adult men.

I think that "tough guy" mask is precisely there to help the person convince themselves, and others, they are tougher than they feel. 

Another clue to how someone will handle pain is how they view their own pain tolerance.

When someone tells me they can take a LOT of pain, they generally cannot.

When they tell me they don't do well with pain, they usually do just fine. 

We never see ourselves more clearly than when we see ourselves through the eyes of others. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Apech said:

TFLD;R

:huh:

example.png&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=ce56ee9e8ab6fb5a1e5f0b9ce9de5a573dfe341ad4bb1ee48658fe4624a31301&ipo=images

Thermal Facial Landmark Detection  .... for  Pirates  ? 

1 hour ago, Nungali said:

:huh:

example.png&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=ce56ee9e8ab6fb5a1e5f0b9ce9de5a573dfe341ad4bb1ee48658fe4624a31301&ipo=images

Thermal Facial Landmark Detection  .... for  Pirates  ? 

The First Law Determines the Rest

1 hour ago, steve said:

In my work, I deal with people facing pain and fear on a daily basis.

Generally speaking I find women to be "tougher" than men in terms of dealing with pain.

Big, strong, tough looking men often have the most difficulty, as do adolescent and young adult men.

I think that "tough guy" mask is precisely there to help the person convince themselves, and others, they are tougher than they feel. 

Another clue to how someone will handle pain is how they view their own pain tolerance.

When someone tells me they can take a LOT of pain, they generally cannot.

When they tell me they don't do well with pain, they usually do just fine. 

We never see ourselves more clearly than when we see ourselves through the eyes of others. 

To me it's just the French for bread.

that pain scale of 1-10 with the pictures is ok & useful but when a doctor asks you where you are at on it one may be off a ways in answering, at least I think I am...

Crunchy on the outside, soft and warm on the inside...that's how I like my bread -- and my tough guys.

Edited by liminal_luke
  • Haha 1