12 minutes ago, MrCorinthian said:

How does one know they found a legit teacher locally or abroad?

That’s a very good question but a very difficult one to answer. I’d say, trust your intuition. And don’t go for one that’s taking too much of your money. 

Edited by Cobie
  • Like 1

On 8/31/2023 at 10:52 AM, MrCorinthian said:

Which seems teacher/s from my city seem more legit

https://www.qigongrochester.com/

Or 

https://www.rtccc.com/

Or should I learn from both if possible?

I am a Yang style Taiji practitioner for more than forty years. I do recognize that the latter is the Yang style and is legit. It will have the healing effect as the former, but I would strongly recommend to go with the latter.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Cobie said:

@Taoist Texts  any thoughts to help the OP?

glad you asked! The OP is a beginner so the both are fine really

On 8/31/2023 at 9:52 PM, MrCorinthian said:

more legit

10 hours ago, Gerard said:

Let's not forget that IMA are complex Qigong forms.

what were they before qigong was concocted in the commi china?

In 1949, Liu Guizhen established the name "Qigong" 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qigong

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Taoist Texts said:

what were they before qigong was concocted in the commi china?

It wasn't qiogng that was "concocted in the commi china," just the name. “What's in a name? That which we call a rose, by any other word would smell as sweet.”

Hua Tuo (141-208 AD) called it animal movements -- tiger, deer, bear, monkey, crane.  Li Shizhen (1518-1593 AD),  "movements that establish the relationship with inner channels (or meridians) so that they can be perceived."  But neither of them was a pioneer of what we call qigong.  What's in a name? This chart that looks a helluva lot like qigong is from the 2nd century BC.

The Most Important Qigong • CHINESE MEDICINE LIVING

Health Qigong – Aiping Tai Chi Center

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Taomeow said:

“What's in a name? 

i know right? peeps always get at me like 'dude, you do not understand! its like apples and oranges' and i go come on, man,.. tomato tahmato... whats in a name man?

seriously though yes the pics do look like modern qigong

https://gwongzaukungfu.com/en/daoyintu-and-mawangdui-texts/

the annotations that accompany the illustrations ... refer to the name of the exercise or its purpose. Some of the exercises imitate the spirit of certain animals such as the crane, the monkey, the mantis or the bear; 

why then i am saying that these exercises are not at all like modern qigong? because

magical incantations were a common therapeutic method

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wushi'er_Bingfang

like magical, man...the spirit...i think you get my drift

Edited by Taoist Texts
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, Michael Sternbach said:

In other words, try before you buy! :)

It takes time like months before one can feel the effect. Nice try.🙃

Edited by ChiDragon

Don't know about legit but for seeing if a teacher is worthwhile, try a class or two.  Find out the expense, class schedule, rules.. some history.  Talk to the advanced students, see how they behave, their skills and attitude.  If you join that's what you'll become.  

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, Pak_Satrio said:

If it’s a good practice it would be less than months 

Some might take longer than the other. The prime factor depends on the physical condition of the individual. Of course, practice must be done diligently.

• Like 1

On 8/31/2023 at 10:52 AM, MrCorinthian said:

should I learn from both if possible?

If you see someone who practice Qigong with the arms and legs extended straight out, then stay away from the individual.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Qi Gong. Work with the life force.

Modern forms coming from the CCCP ---> buyer beware. Remember these people/new barbarians annihilated (tried to to some extent) a vast, ancient and wise civilisation. They removed anything traditional from their newly devised Qigong forms, including shortened versions of Tai Chi Chuan; eg. Beijing 24 simplified form Yang style. 

On 9/24/2023 at 1:23 PM, ChiDragon said:

If you see someone who practice Qigong with the arms and legs extended straight out, then stay away from the individual.

Why is that? 😊

1 hour ago, MrCorinthian said:

Why is that? 😊

The muscles are at rest when the arms and legs are fully extended. Thus, it has no effect on the muscles. Biologically, the body cells are activated by the slight contraction of the muscles. The contraction of the muscle will cause the cells to produce an "action potential". An action potential is the energy that keeps the muscle to continue to contract. As soon the muscle releases, the action potential will be gone, and puts the muscle back into the resting state again. That is why one will see the Taiji practitioners with their arms and legs bent. Especially, the Yang style Taiji. It is the best style to practice for health.

PS
Keeping the muscle cells active is part of the cultivation of the body. 

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Like 1