Kojiro

The effects of full moon on your practice and energy levels

one could observe how a full moon affects various animals...for instance a common picture we see is wolves howling at or during a full moon.

• Like 1

Or even the fish tank . Yesterday evening they where all 'going off' .   A LOT of swimming around , everything in there , big fish, the new babies, the crayfish, the water beetles . I put food in, they didnt want that ... I added some live wrigglers ( their favorite- mosquito lava )... nope .  I went outside, the same in the two outside ponds .   They seem to want to go beyond their confines , maybe its linked to 'migratory' stuff ?  Then just after that a huge bright  full moon arose . By the time it was directly overhead things returned to normal.

Then there where three different types of owl calls  going outside .  And for some some reason, the human animal ( me ) had a good nights sleep .

Despite my focus on creating a calm and equanimous mindset prior to the full moon, I found thoughts of past memories of a negative, depressing kind stirring within me and stirring similar emotions within me for a long time yesterday night.  

In retrospect, this helped me to gauge my state of unconsciousness, or ability to be aware when forceful thoughts and emotions of a compulsive nature comes up. I figured out from this that a lot of inner work needs to be performed to clean up the vasanas or psychological impressions within. I understood my inner pressure points, issues and the need to work on them.

I think the amplifying effects of the full moon, as described by spiritual masters, could help one to recceing the mind better and gathering necessary intel on it. 

The full moon period isn't over yet, and I wish to make the most out of this period. :)

• Like 1

Full moon effect will last three days after it peaks (100%, 98%, etc. depending on the month).

Kidney Yin & Yang greatly improve their flow due to the moon being paired with Water force, so while being at its full force the action on Yin & Yang will rise faster and with more intensity stimulating more the action of Wood/liver/yin & Fire/heart/yang. It's a vertical action rising from below to above (head) where our connection to Heaven/divinity resides. You'll become more in tune with the 'hidden reality' (your inner self) during this period.

This is the science behind the full moon and it's effect on energetics.

• Like 1

Today (6-4-23) happens to be a full moon.  Hopefully, i may be able to utilize this as an opportunity for spiritual exercise, though I wish had worked on this two days earlier to make the most of it. 

Sadhguru had also talked about the full moon being an opportunity for faster advancement.

https://isha.sadhguru.org/us/en/wisdom/article/pournami-the-night-of-the-full-moon

Another thing is, the planet has moved into a certain position with the moon. The vibration and the feel of the moon is very different when it is full than when it is in other states. And the magnetic pull is also different; the pull of the moon is working upon the surface of the planet which is exposed to the moon. So when there is a natural pull like this, because your spine is vertical, there is a tendency for the energy to go into a natural upsurge of upward movement. Within you, the blood and the prana – the fundamental life energies, flow in a different way because the vibrations have changed. So just as the tides rise more on that night because the gravitational pull of the moon is working on the water more than on other nights, your blood is also being pulled and the circulation of blood increases in your brain.

When this upward movement happens, whatever is your quality, can get enhanced. You may have heard that people who are a little off their mental balance will become more imbalanced on those days because the upsurge in energy enhances whatever is your quality. If you are little imbalanced, it will make you more imbalanced. It is also doing the same to the other qualities in you, but most people may not be sensitive enough to notice it. If you are meditative, it makes you more meditative. If you are love, it makes you more love. If you are fear, it makes you more fear. Whatever is your quality, it enhances that.

So people on the spiritual path, if they are on the meditative path especially, it is more conducive to meditate on those nights because without an upsurge of energy, without a heightened sense of energy, there is no question of awareness. What you call as awareness will come naturally to you when you have a heightened sense of energy in your system. So we want to just make use of that night, of that natural phenomenon which is occurring. On this day it is like you have a free ride of energy and awareness.

Edited by Ajay0

The full moon for this month May is on fifth, today.

The lunar calendar is used in Islam, and importance is attached to the new moon as well as the full moon.

https://islamonline.net/en/the-blessings-of-the-lunar-calendar/

Traditional moon wisdom states that on the day of the New Moon the body’s capacity for detoxification is at its highest. This is a time, tradition says, to make healthy lifestyle changes, break bad habits and withdraw symptoms of imbalance. This is in complete synchronization with the fact that the prophet used to fast on the days of the full moon, saying, “It is like fasting the whole year.”

• Thanks 1

yes, both full moon and new moon days are said to be the best days for fasting and detoxification.

But it is probably better to fast and detox on season changes rather than on lunar cycles

• Like 1

The last full Moon here on the farm  had very strange effects :

wp4005613.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=83ca63c5aee9f182d4d7a975a4745d29bc3ee1769eeab233d9774be9d10469a4&ipo=images

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 1

The full moon for this month is today on June 3.

The days of the new moon and full moon are also considered to be important in Wicca. I found these Wiccan articles informative and useful.

https://pluralism.org/new-and-full-moons

The different phases of the moon’s cycle are significant in some Pagan traditions, especially in Wicca, where the moon is associated with the Goddess. Wiccans believe the inherent spiritual power in nature is greatest on the night of the full moon. They gather at that time to work magick related to increase, fullness, and fruition, such as prosperity or growth. On new moons, Wiccans often gather for ritual that is connected with the unseen or for goals that need a period of gestation.

https://wemoon.ws/blogs/magical-arts/full-and-new-moon-rituals

New moon rituals seems to be focused on setting intentions one wishes to manifest, while full moon rituals are focused on appreciation for personal accomplishments as well as gratitude to the Divine or nature for blessings and providence since the last full moon.

• Like 1

Not exactly the same as full moon, but tomorrow we have new moon and next wednesday we have the season change to summer. Two periods in which there is also strong energetic changes that we must adapt to. Many people believe it is a good moment to fast and detox too.

• Like 1

The full moon for this month is today on July 3. It is called as a Buck moon because the antlers of male deer (bucks) are in full-growth mode at this time.

Ryaku Fusatsu is a monthly Buddhist ceremony that takes place on the evening of the full moon that involves a repentance ritual and renewal of vows. 

https://seattlesotozen.org/events/ryaku-fusatsu-full-moon-ceremony-885-137/

Shunryu Suzuki said this about the Full Moon Ceremony: “[T]o purify our mind and to keep Buddha’s way, we will observe Fusatsu.” He also said, “So to have good practice means to have good precept observation. Why it is so—is better not to think about. This is something to realize by your true practice.”

• Like 1

The next full moon will be next Tuesday, August 1st, and be ready to enjoy it because it will be a super moon. It will appear to us larger and brighter :)

• Like 4

On 7/29/2023 at 12:20 AM, Kojiro said:

The next full moon will be next Tuesday, August 1st, and be ready to enjoy it because it will be a super moon. It will appear to us larger and brighter :)

There will be two full moons in August 2023. The first is on Tuesday, August 1, 2023, and the second full moon will be on Wednesday, August 30, 2023.

The most common name for the August Full Moon is the Sturgeon Moon. As with other full moon names, it’s inspired by nature and refers to the high numbers of sturgeon caught in high numbers in North America’s Great Lakes.

The Hindu festival of Raksha Bandhan, celebrating the bond between brothers and sisters are celebrated during this time period of the full moon, and is on August 30, the occasion of the second full moon.

• Like 2

It is interesting. I found some old cravings for sensory pleasures arising in me yesterday night and today morning. Images of pleasure streamed through the mind and with resultant cravings.

I was absent-mindedly wondering why I was having them after such a long time and even prepared to indulge a bit, when the thought of the full moon came to my mind.  :blink:

This helped me to apply brakes, discipline my mind, and focus it back on my routine tasks.B)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ajay0 said:

It is interesting. I found some old cravings for sensory pleasures arising in me yesterday night and today morning. Images of pleasure streamed through the mind and with resultant cravings.

I was absent-mindedly wondering why I was having them after such a long time and even prepared to indulge a bit, when the thought of the full moon came to my mind.  :blink:

This helped me to apply brakes, discipline my mind, and focus it back on my routine tasks.B)

can you believe the same happened to me yesterday night? i have slept quite poorly, and had many food cravings. This morning I have woken up a little groggy but without as much cravings (I am doing a detox diet so being hungry and having food cravings is quite normal, although yesterday night they were much more intense than other nights). I also experienced more detox symptoms than usual. But of course this might not be due to the full moon, or yes, I am not sure.

Can I ask you what is your main practice and what kind of cravings did you have?

Edited by Kojiro
  • Like 1

Wow, super bright last night .

A friend rang and asked 'Have you seen the Moon tonight ?' I had not as I have a large bamboo grove to the east, so I walked down the paddock  to get a view around the bamboo .... WOW so bright and big, nearly needed 'moonglasses' .  It was framed between two pines and had bats flitting across in front of it .

:)  .

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Kojiro said:

can you believe the same happened to me yesterday night? i have slept quite poorly, and had many food cravings. This morning I have woken up a little groggy but without as much cravings (I am doing a detox diet so being hungry and having food cravings is quite normal, although yesterday night they were much more intense than other nights). I also experienced more detox symptoms than usual. But of course this might not be due to the full moon, or yes, I am not sure.

Can I ask you what is your main practice and what kind of cravings did you have?

In general, all sensory cravings related to pleasures I had enjoyed in the past. The intensity of the craving is proportional to the pleasure I enjoyed back then.

Specifically speaking, I would say I did not have cravings related to drugs, alcohol and cigarettes.

This is because I had never taken drugs and had largely abstained from alcohol and cigarettes. I had taken the latter on some occasions in youth due to peer pressure or creative investigation, but abstained from them largely due to their addictive potential as well as potential health issues.

So I did not have substantial psychological memories related to them and consequent cravings. At times, seeing cigarettes or alcohol for sale in bars, weak desires have erupted in me, but the character or habit forged  due to years of self-denial enables me to overlook them.

• Like 1

On 8/2/2023 at 6:51 AM, Ajay0 said:

In general, all sensory cravings related to pleasures I had enjoyed in the past. The intensity of the craving is proportional to the pleasure I enjoyed back then.

Specifically speaking, I would say I did not have cravings related to drugs, alcohol and cigarettes.

This is because I had never taken drugs and had largely abstained from alcohol and cigarettes. I had taken the latter on some occasions in youth due to peer pressure or creative investigation, but abstained from them largely due to their addictive potential as well as potential health issues.

So I did not have substantial psychological memories related to them and consequent cravings. At times, seeing cigarettes or alcohol for sale in bars, weak desires have erupted in me, but the character or habit forged  due to years of self-denial enables me to overlook them.

Honestly all these cravings may have nothing to do with the full moon, at least in my case. Some nights I have very strong food cravings, maybe it just happened that night, I am not sure

We have talked here about full moon, also about new moon a little bit, but what about the waxing and waning phases? what is the difference between these 2 phases regarding their influence on our behavior and practice?

I have found this info about the influence of the moon on our bodies:

The Moon goes through phases, which align with our individual energies, thus affecting us in various ways. Females especially align with the moon through their menstrual cycles, which take as long as moon cycles. We may harness the energies of the moon phases 4 days before or after the actual day. Below, we describe the moon phases and their influence on us.

Full Moon: This is the most powerful moon phase (especially potent near the solstices and equinoxes). It is a great time to exercise self-discipline. We recommend doing the 3-day monthly dry fast on this phase. The period immediately following the Full Moon (Waning Moon) is the easiest time to jump start new habits due to the easing effects of the moon’s influence. The Full Moon brings protection, hope, optimism, and guidance when we need to make challenging decisions.

Waning Moon: The Waning Moon phase occurs when the moon starts getting smaller (the bright side of the moon is now on the left). The Waning Moon phase supports elimination. It is a perfect time to give up old habits that no longer serve us. Use this phase to release physical, emotional, and spiritual obstructions.

New Moon: When the moon is completely aligned with the sun and the earth, it becomes invisible in the dark night sky. This is the greatest period of elimination and is a great time to manifest new beginnings. It is best to dry fast, or at least liquid fast, on the New Moon.

Waxing Moon: The moon is said to be waxing when it starts getting larger (the bright crescent of the moon is now on the right side). The Waxing Moon supports growth. Use this phase to increase positive change. During this phase, parasites come close to full maturity and food cravings increase, leading to a peak on the Full Moon. Your self-discipline will be brought to the test on this phase. Do your best to avoid giving in to food cravings. Although this moon phase can be the most challenging of all, you can look forward to the easing effects of moon’s influence after the Full Moon.

Be in harmony with the moon phases to maximize the benefits of the moon’s influence every month of the year.