Sign in to follow this  
C T

Interview with Dr Ian Baker - Tibetan Yoga and Tantric Buddhism

Dr Baker is a scholar practitioner of Vajrayana. His journey began at 19 when he first met Chatral Rinpoche in the Himalayas, and became his student not long after. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, C T said:

Dr Baker is a scholar practitioner of Vajrayana. … Chatral Rinpoche … student …

(my highlighting)

Why does he put “Dr” before his name?

What does Dr mean here? 

What’s he a “Dr” in?

What does being a Dr have to do with being a “scholar practitioner of Vajrayana”?

Can “Chatral Rinpoche” awarded his students with a Dr ?

Is it relevant to state being a Dr in this context?

Edited by Cobie

24 minutes ago, Cobie said:

(my highlighting)

What does Dr mean here? 

What’s he a “Dr” in?

What does being a Dr have to do with being a “scholar practitioner of Vajrayana”?

DR. IAN BAKER is a Tibetan scholar, yogi, explorer and author with more than 40 years experience studying and teaching Tibetan Buddhism. He is an international fellow of the Explorers Club and was honored by National Geographic Society as one of six ‘Explorers for the Millennium’ for his ethnographic and geographical field research in Tibet’s Tsangpo gorge and his team’s discovery of a waterfall that had been the source of myth and geographic speculation for more than a century.

Ian is the author of seven critically acclaimed books on Himalayan and Tibetan cultural history, environment, art, and medicine including The Heart of the World: A Journey to the Last Secret Place, The Tibetan of Art of Healing, and The Dalai Lama’s Secret Temple, a collaborative work with His Holiness The Dalai Lama that illuminates Tantric Buddhist meditation practices. Ian’s latest book, Tibetan Yoga: Secrets from the Source. Ian has also written for National Geographic Magazine and has contributed to academic journals in the fields of Tibetan yoga in Vajrayāna Buddhism. Ian also leads pilgrimages to sacred sites in India, Tibet, and Bhutan.

26 minutes ago, C T said:

There’s nothing in there that answers my questions.

26 minutes ago, C T said:

:lol: Ad hominum. :P

You still have not answered any of my questions 

44 minutes ago, Cobie said:

:lol: Ad hominum. :P

Really? How odd :lol: 

I wonder why... 

1 hour ago, Cobie said:

Look, i don't know what your spiel is, and where you're going with this, but if you have a problem with Dr Baker's credentials, I'm sure you'd know what avenues are available to take the matter up with him. 

As for that ad hominem thingy, I seriously have no idea how this came about. And blanking the quote in question means what exactly? 

Up to this point, your involvement here in terms of those non-questions you deemed as 'questions' is puzzling, to say the least. If you've some issue with this thread, feel free to report it. And if there wasn't any ad hominem as claimed, please consider redacting/retracting your words. Thanks. 

2 hours ago, C T said:

… blanking the quote in question means what exactly?

It’s just to show which post I am responding to. :)

… those non-questions …

Clearly you are not interested in this line of enquiry, so I will leave this thread now. Peace. :wub:

Edited by Cobie

https://ianbakerjourneys.wordpress.com/about/

Is that this guy?

Ian studied art history, literature, and comparative religion at Middlebury College, Oxford University, and Columbia University and Medical Anthropology at University College London. He is an international fellow of the Explorers Club and was honored by National Geographic Society as one of six ‘Explorers for the Millennium’ for his ethnographic and geographical field research in Tibet’s Tsangpo gorges and his team’s discovery of a waterfall that had been the source of myth and geographic speculation for more than a century.

If so, than he could well be a Dr. ...

Edited by wandelaar

1 hour ago, wandelaar said:

https://ianbakerjourneys.wordpress.com/about/

Is that this guy?

If so, than he could well be a Dr. ...

Ian Baker

Ian received his Ph.D in History.....

Not sure why someone would make a fuss over this, but it happens. 

Its not so difficult to ask for clarification in a simple, straightforward manner. 

1 hour ago, Cobie said:

It’s just to show which post I am responding to. :)

Clearly you are not interested in this line of enquiry, so I will leave this thread now. Peace. :wub:

Clearly you were not interested to engage in a proper manner. 

I could see cobie's bent within a week of his arrival here.

He's been on ignore ever since.

Life is too short and the day is too long for such folks in my experience.

• Like 1

On 11/07/2022 at 9:52 AM, Cobie said:

Because that is his title

What does Dr mean here? 

Doctor

Dr is a title used for a scholar. Ian is an initiate of Vajrayana for a long period of time. So he is a scholar practitioner...

Chatral Rinpoche has nothing to do with the title. Ian is an academic

Yes...seeing as he is referring to a tradition he both practices and studies academically

Here's a follow up question....have you anything useful to add to this thread? Anything at all?  All of the questions are actually rhetorical....and a google search of his name would have given you that information in seconds...why bother? 

• Thanks 1

C T, I'm having a hard time dedicating 90 minutes, even though the doc is very personable, and the fact that he did his masters on the cocaine trade out of Burma makes him eminently qualified, as Cobie perhaps tried to point out.

Help me out--give me your take-away, please.

Edited by Mark Foote

On 7/31/2022 at 12:02 AM, Mark Foote said:

C T, I'm having a hard time dedicating 90 minutes, even though the doc is very personable, and the fact that he did his masters on the cocaine trade out of Burma makes him eminently qualified, as Cobie perhaps tried to point out.

Help me out--give me your take-away, please.

Hello, I saw some videos from Tibet with Ian Baker. He's got good experience and speaks Tibetan too It seems. I talked to him about the Kalachakra and Shambhala. Can we talk about those themes, seeing it seems those are the core of what Ian Baker is all about.

On 8/18/2022 at 1:18 AM, Jamyang Khedrup said:

Hello, I saw some videos from Tibet with Ian Baker. He's got good experience and speaks Tibetan too It seems. I talked to him about the Kalachakra and Shambhala. Can we talk about those themes, seeing it seems those are the core of what Ian Baker is all about.

I'm not a moderator, but my guess would be, as long as you tie it to Dr. Baker you can introduce those topics on this thread.    C T?

Edited by Mark Foote
  • Like 1

Sign in to follow this