manitou

Time (and the horse it rode in on)

In a workshop I attended years ago, teacher Juan Li once said that time didn´t just march forever forward as is commonly believed.  It could, for instance, go backwards too.  So fascinating!  Most people think you can´t change the past but perhaps you can.  Maybe the bumber sticker is right: it´s never too late to have a happy childhood.  Perhaps it´s also possible to change negative circumstances in the lives of our ancestors?  

The only thing I know for sure about time is that there´s more to it than I can glean from looking at a number on my cellphone.

..................................................................................................................................................

@manitou You mentioned that you "barely made it through high school."  Having gone through a bit more formal education, I gave that passage you quoted from Tarthang Tulku a whirl, naively thinking that the years I spent in academia might have given me greater powers of reading comprehension.  They didn´t.

Edited by liminal_luke
  • Haha 3

20 hours ago, liminal_luke said:

In a workshop I attended years ago, teacher Juan Li once said that time didn´t just march forever forward as is commonly believed.  It could, for instance, go backwards too.

Hi Jesse,

The above sets me thinking of karma.

Has karma any temporal dimensions?

If so, are the dimensions ~ forward, backward, circular...

th?id=OIP.AuVWcTVYJlWBr5QWRHrCNAHaFj&pid=Api&P=0&w=244&h=184

22138180aa33ef2d07051f783b6dd623.gif

- Anand

• Like 1

21 hours ago, liminal_luke said:

In a workshop I attended years ago, teacher Juan Li once said that time didn´t just march forever forward as is commonly believed.  It could, for instance, go backwards too. 

The scientists working with the Hadron Collider have found that that when smashing atoms, the particles will go into the future, stay in the present, and go backwards in time as well.  This is so wonderfully mind boggling.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 2/1/2021 at 10:27 AM, RobB said:

Local can mean something quite specific in physics when related to a frame of reference. Perhaps he means 'local' with reference to time as this page explains 'local' in reference to space http://www.kwon3d.com/theory/transform/refrm.html

I think this is exactly what I was remembering - but I couldn't load the page.

7 minutes ago, manitou said:

... when smashing atoms, the particles will go into the future, stay in the present, and go backwards in time as well. 

Hi Barbara,

When an element is de-atomized ~its neutrons, protons, electrons... are liberated from its configuration.

201903161432056234256.gif

What will become of the element when...

The particles will go into the future, stay in the present, and go backwards in time as well?

- Anand

22 minutes ago, manitou said:

The scientists working with the Hadron Collider have found that that when smashing atoms, the particles will go into the future, stay in the present, and go backwards in time as well.  This is so wonderfully mind boggling.

I continue to scratch my head in bewilderment.

2 hours ago, manitou said:

I think this is exactly what I was remembering - but I couldn't load the page.

Ohh - it looks like something very odd has happened to the kwon3d webpage - seems to have been hijacked. It was valid a few days ago (https://isbweb.org/resources/software-resources/130-movement-analysis/three-d-analysis-of-human-movement/473-kwon3d)

Edited by RobB
  • Like 1

time is mentioned in the Bible's Book of Revelation 12:6:   "time,  times and half time"

which I'd say most likely also has an esoteric meaning besides fundamentalist interpretations;

there is also a Bible verse that possibly mentions going back in time but I've forgotten it for the moment.

20 hours ago, manitou said:

So much fun to see things that exceed rational limits - it tickles.

Magic is everywhere, always.

• Like 2

My experience of time has shifted rather dramatically from my teen and young adult years. 

I used to see time as an objective function somewhere there was a constant that was observable by all of reality.  This notion was compelling and comprised almost wholly of Newtonian and Cartesian modeling.  Present moments, divisible and identifiable, that are chained together, from the past through the present into the future.

That's utterly dissolved in my more recent experience, particularly gaining inertial shift these last 7 years or so...

Moments no longer exist for me.  There are no moments, there is flow... and memory.  Presence and Awareness.  Any former notion of moments is experienced as a rather arbitrary assignation by my interpretation of memories.

And mechanical time is recognized as pure illusion now.  A human abstraction, a product relevant only in its limited mental sphere, a superficially self imposed abstraction, treated as real, but to reality at large, is without significance or relevance, in my experience.

Time as I used to experience it, seems to be a function of memory interpretation that arose in response to my recognition of the shifting of conditions.  I remember being at home in the morning, then arriving at work, now returning home... Conditioning compels me to say that time passed.  Though nothing that occured was ever a separate moment from anything else and all experience arose in the perpetual unfolding presence of awareness... as it is now.

It all unfolds now.

This is it.

Any memory i have of the past, arises now, in presence. 

All plans for the future unfold within presence, now, in awareness.

There is only the unfolding presence now, in awareness...

for me. 

I'm not claiming any ultimate truth, but am attempting to share my experience of it.

So yea, my experience of time has shifted from a progression of past through present to future, to a perpetual unfolding of presence within awareness, one among the myriad co-arising aggregates. 

No isolated 'moment's exist anywhere within it, aside from those my interpretation of memory rather arbitrarily assigns... in retrospection.

Cyclical time is experienced as a process.  But one that arises and unfolds, perpetually, cyclically in the now.  The progression of the Seasonal cycles, life cycles of species... stars and solar systems... these processes unfold cyclically and seemingly repeat, but never do they repeat the same way.  This Winter is not like any other.

@manitou has shared many times her experience of past being affected by present shift in her healing modality which heavily alludes to the perpetual present and the illusion of a separate past or future. 

Those sharings and a few others here over the years have been resonant moments that leap off the screen for me.

• Thanks 1

On 2/3/2021 at 4:03 PM, silent thunder said:

It all unfolds now.

This is it.

Those who used to be with us are here now.

Those who are here now are here now.

Those who have yet to be born are here now.

• Like 1

On 2/3/2021 at 8:13 AM, old3bob said:

time is mentioned in the Bible's Book of Revelation 12:6:   "time,  times and half time"

which I'd say most likely also has an esoteric meaning besides fundamentalist interpretations;

there is also a Bible verse that possibly mentions going back in time but I've forgotten it for the moment.

Jesus did say something about fearing not what the morrow would bring; for today has more than enough baloney happening all on its own.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1