old3bob

No gods, then no humans

many dismiss gods (and angles) as superstition or as unimportant...but without them us humans who dismiss them as unimportant or deny them altogether would not exist.  How about that catch...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, idiot_stimpy said:

I've never had the pleasure to consciously meet a god or angel. At least no-one has introduced themselves as such. 

I have. The Angel was beautiful and full of love and joy.  The God was stoic and all he said was "I am the Sephiroth, I am all that is"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, idiot_stimpy said:

I've never had the pleasure to consciously meet a god or angel. At least no-one has introduced themselves as such. 

I'd say that only certain orders of gods or angel like beings are interacting with humans, since most of them are busy in their own realms with their particular responsibilities.  Also one could use the analogy that a "normal" human being meeting a 10,000 volt and 10,000 amp force  could get very  dicey!  Whereas a high voltage human (master)  so to speak  can act as a safe transformer to interact with most people. 

Edited by old3bob
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, old3bob said:

many dismiss gods (and angles) as superstition or as unimportant...but without them us humans who dismiss them as unimportant or deny them altogether would not exist.  How about that catch...

Angles are an extremely important part of geometry!

...Jokes aside, there's a certain level of development people need to be at in order to even perceive the divine in most situations. The first time I saw an angel was while I was asleep, and I still can't truly see them with my physical eyes (but I can summon them and feel their presence when they decide to drop in). As for the divine, they're at a higher level so it's even harder to sense. Of the gods I've interacted with, two of them made themselves known purposefully with an offer of help, one of them I reached through a mutual connection, and one of which was the one that likes to claim there are no others, and I met him through a series of coincidences. I wasn't capable of seeing any of them with my physical sight, and was only able to see them through projections, but I have taken the time to confirm the things they have said and claimed to have done, and have found them to be true. 

As for the idea that humans can't exist without the divine, I would say it's much more complex than that. A pyramid is built from the ground up, and likewise, higher spiritual beings generally got their foundations from lower spiritual beings. Some gods were created from human delusion, others are former humans, and even more were created as divergences in thought came about. This world is indeed something of a playground for higher beings, but that's only due to the fact that they have gone past our current level. A world-class tennis player could certainly play with beginners, and would certainly smash them, but said world-class most likely started as a beginner in the first place. Likewise, without the world-class athletes to inspire those outside of the game, much less beginners would even attempt to get better at the sport. The same can be said of the relationship between the divine and the baser classes. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, old3bob said:

Why couldn't there be humans without gods? I'm not saying this is the case, I'm just asking why couldn't there be?

Interestingly the Buddha said that when a universe ends and there are no more physical planes of existence most beings are reborn in one of the higher Brahma realms until the next universe comes into existence beings gradually due to the exhaustion of their karma drop down to the lower realms as they are formed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paradoxal said:

Angles are an extremely important part of geometry!

...Jokes aside, there's a certain level of development people need to be at in order to even perceive the divine in most situations. The first time I saw an angel was while I was asleep, and I still can't truly see them with my physical eyes (but I can summon them and feel their presence when they decide to drop in). As for the divine, they're at a higher level so it's even harder to sense. Of the gods I've interacted with, two of them made themselves known purposefully with an offer of help, one of them I reached through a mutual connection, and one of which was the one that likes to claim there are no others, and I met him through a series of coincidences. I wasn't capable of seeing any of them with my physical sight, and was only able to see them through projections, but I have taken the time to confirm the things they have said and claimed to have done, and have found them to be true. 

As for the idea that humans can't exist without the divine, I would say it's much more complex than that. A pyramid is built from the ground up, and likewise, higher spiritual beings generally got their foundations from lower spiritual beings. Some gods were created from human delusion, others are former humans, and even more were created as divergences in thought came about. This world is indeed something of a playground for higher beings, but that's only due to the fact that they have gone past our current level. A world-class tennis player could certainly play with beginners, and would certainly smash them, but said world-class most likely started as a beginner in the first place. Likewise, without the world-class athletes to inspire those outside of the game, much less beginners would even attempt to get better at the sport. The same can be said of the relationship between the divine and the baser classes. 

right on the angles, especially for trig which I really like :D

I'd add that some gods and certain beings are born/emanated  that way and remain that way throughout the cosmic cycle thus never go through the valid processes you've mentioned.   I'm no expert on the subject and only have limited experiences but know enough that some of the beings are compassionate and tolerant towards humans while others are are keenly stern and sharp as a razor and "do not suffer fools gladly" if at all...and then there is Lord Yama

6 hours ago, old3bob said:

How do you know that to be true?

One can argue that it’s the other way ‘round.

2 hours ago, dmattwads said:

Why couldn't there be humans without gods? I'm not saying this is the case, I'm just asking why couldn't there be?

Interestingly the Buddha said that when a universe ends and there are no more physical planes of existence most beings are reborn in one of the higher Brahma realms until the next universe comes into existence beings gradually due to the exhaustion of their karma drop down to the lower realms as they are formed.

I'd say because they came into being long before humans and helped set the stage for humans (for instance the order of being or god some know as the soul of the earth or Earth Mother...btw I'd say that "Buddha nature" if you will,  is not of or dependent upon the nature of human beings or the nature of god beings.

Historic Buddha honoring the Earth Mother...(per mudra)

Buddha-Weekly-Buddha-surrounded-by-Maras-armies-Buddhism-768x947.thumb.jpg.aff63a42505f271405852b40f9b1f7d9.jpg

Edited by old3bob

10 minutes ago, steve said:

How do you know that to be true?

One can argue that it’s the other way ‘round.

one could argue for the process of evolution into a god or angel like state which is found and taught in a great many schools...

one could also argue that certain beings do not go through that process and remain in their position/realm from the beginning until the end.

Edited by old3bob

Just now, old3bob said:

one could also argue that certain beings do not go through that process and remain in their position from the beginning until the end.

That could certainly be the case, but from the POV of the Buddha's teachings on impermanence this would seem to not be the case (assuming the Buddha was correct about everything)

8 minutes ago, old3bob said:

I'd add that some gods and certain beings are born/emanated  that way and remain that way throughout the cosmic cycle thus never go through the valid processes you've mentioned.   I'm no expert on the subject and only have limited experiences but know enough that some of the beings are compassionate and tolerant towards humans while others are are keenly stern and sharp as a razor and "do not suffer fools gladly" if at all...and then there is Lord Yama

Yes, one of the most common ways for gods to be born is via human invention. Technically speaking, if one person even believes in the concept of a god, said god comes into existence. However, in most cases, such a god would be as fragile as a dried leaf in the wind. One major exception to this would be when religions branch off into different sections, and their believers end up accidentally "splitting" a god. Such a process creates two weaker deities from one stronger deity, and each one of these new deities retains much of the personality of the old. Depending on how the process unfolds, it could replace the original, split its duties, or even create two near-duplicate entities that fight for supremacy. If you want to see how such a process could happen, look at Judaism, Christianity, and Islam for an example. The dogma changes brought on by human arrogance and greed within these religions ended up creating different deities from one root entity, and vastly weakened said entity's influence. 

Just now, Paradoxal said:

Yes, one of the most common ways for gods to be born is via human invention. Technically speaking, if one person even believes in the concept of a god, said god comes into existence. However, in most cases, such a god would be as fragile as a dried leaf in the wind. One major exception to this would be when religions branch off into different sections, and their believers end up accidentally "splitting" a god. Such a process creates two weaker deities from one stronger deity, and each one of these new deities retains much of the personality of the old. Depending on how the process unfolds, it could replace the original, split its duties, or even create two near-duplicate entities that fight for supremacy. If you want to see how such a process could happen, look at Judaism, Christianity, and Islam for an example. The dogma changes brought on by human arrogance and greed within these religions ended up creating different deities from one root entity, and vastly weakened said entity's influence. 

This is an interesting theory. What do you base it upon?

4 minutes ago, Paradoxal said:

interesting but I tired of blowing my mind on much of the Abrahamic teachings and looked elsewhere.

(although one could safely say Master Jesus is a golden angel like or god like being)

Edited by old3bob

3 minutes ago, dmattwads said:

This is an interesting theory. What do you base it upon?

Directly from the gods I have contact with, though, I realize the health of a skeptical look at this sort of source. 

I started my path due to the interference of those of divine origin, so I've naturally been quite interested in figuring out how such beings tick and have spent quite a lot of time looking for answers in this particular subject.

Edited by Paradoxal
Added a bit more info

9 minutes ago, Paradoxal said:

Directly from the gods I have contact with, though, I realize the health of a skeptical look at this sort of source. 

I started my path due to the interference of those of divine origin, so I've naturally been quite interested in figuring out how such beings tick and have spent quite a lot of time looking for answers in this particular subject.

Ok, interesting. May I ask how this came to pass initially? Who contacted you? What did they say? ect...

40 minutes ago, dmattwads said:

May I ask how this came to pass initially? Who contacted you? What did they say? ect...

I believe I covered this in a previous thread with you, but it was Archangel Michael. Completely shattered my worldview at the time, and I would like to think it led me to change for the better.

As for the gods that contacted me, my patron is one from a well-known pantheon, but I've been forbidden to give its identity out by said god for whatever reason. I met my patron through work with a guide spirit, though it seems that its been helping me without my knowledge from before I became spiritually aware. I speak with my patron from time to time whenever I have serious questions that can't be answered in normal ways, but we do not chat much. The other ones that I have contact with and have discussed this to some length were the Christian god, and a local Japanese deity that never gave me his name. The Japanese deity resided in Asakusa, near Sensoji Temple (I'm unsure whether he was residing *in* the temple or not, as he never specified); this one looked like an elderly man dressed in Han Dynasty-era scholarly clothes. I'm not even sure on his location of origin, but he had a certain presence that I've only seen from rather powerful gods (specifically, the others were my patron deity and the Christian god). This particular deity helped me with a detox of some particularly bad energy and provided me pointers on better practices to engage in. 

I have interacted with one other god, but that particular god was not friendly; it was one that took a penchant to controlling humans, messing with memories, etc. It was not a high level god, as the others I mentioned were, and it was one that could be overpowered by powerful humans or groups of mages. Said god dwelled in a large, glowing-white library in the astral, with many spirits around it serving it and gathering information; the spirits were usually human in shape, and acted as if they were in an automated "company" of sorts, though it was much more "robotic"-feeling in their actions, almost as if they were just dolls without minds. It had an asura-like appearance, with bull-like horns sprouting out of its forehead, four arms, and a large bushy mane around its ape-like face. It appeared in formal attire, and appeared to be very muscular (though, it wasn't physical, so I suppose this is just the shape its spirit chose to take?). I met it in an area that appeared like a fancy office of sorts, but again, this was the astral, so things certainly were not as stable in appearance or function as the physical. The general modus operandi of this particular one was to lead a group of puppets to gather and preserve information, and it was extremely protective of its puppets in an odd way; it did not care if any of them were lost, but it refused to give them away or let their former minds take over their bodies once more. I am not aware of this particular deity had a name, but if it did, it was probably not very famous in the human world.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Paradoxal said:

I believe I covered this in a previous thread with you, but it was Archangel Michael. Completely shattered my worldview at the time, and I would like to think it led me to change for the better.

As for the gods that contacted me, my patron is one from a well-known pantheon, but I've been forbidden to give its identity out by said god for whatever reason. I met my patron through work with a guide spirit, though it seems that its been helping me without my knowledge from before I became spiritually aware. I speak with my patron from time to time whenever I have serious questions that can't be answered in normal ways, but we do not chat much. The other ones that I have contact with and have discussed this to some length were the Christian god, and a local Japanese deity that never gave me his name. The Japanese deity resided in Asakusa, near Sensoji Temple (I'm unsure whether he was residing *in* the temple or not, as he never specified); this one looked like an elderly man dressed in Han Dynasty-era scholarly clothes. I'm not even sure on his location of origin, but he had a certain presence that I've only seen from rather powerful gods (specifically, the others were my patron deity and the Christian god). This particular deity helped me with a detox of some particularly bad energy and provided me pointers on better practices to engage in. 

I have interacted with one other god, but that particular god was not friendly; it was one that took a penchant to controlling humans, messing with memories, etc. It was not a high level god, as the others I mentioned were, and it was one that could be overpowered by powerful humans or groups of mages. Said god dwelled in a large, glowing-white library in the astral, with many spirits around it serving it and gathering information; the spirits were usually human in shape, and acted as if they were in an automated "company" of sorts, though it was much more "robotic"-feeling in their actions, almost as if they were just dolls without minds. It had an asura-like appearance, with bull-like horns sprouting out of its forehead, four arms, and a large bushy mane around its ape-like face. It appeared in formal attire, and appeared to be very muscular (though, it wasn't physical, so I suppose this is just the shape its spirit chose to take?). I met it in an area that appeared like a fancy office of sorts, but again, this was the astral, so things certainly were not as stable in appearance or function as the physical. The general modus operandi of this particular one was to lead a group of puppets to gather and preserve information, and it was extremely protective of its puppets in an odd way; it did not care if any of them were lost, but it refused to give them away or let their former minds take over their bodies once more. I am not aware of this particular deity had a name, but if it did, it was probably not very famous in the human world.

Very interesting. In your opinion (since you say you met the Christian God) would you say the Christian God is synonymous with the Jewish God or not? 

What would you say the general feel of the Christian God was?

5 minutes ago, dmattwads said:

Very interesting. In your opinion (since you say you met the Christian God) would you say the Christian God is synonymous with the Jewish God or not? 

They're nearly indistinguishable, but it's been pointed out to me that *technically* the Christian god and the Islam god are both split-offs of the Jewish god, in that they were originally one being until their followers' combined delusions ended up splitting them. 

7 minutes ago, dmattwads said:

What would you say the general feel of the Christian God was?

I would say that it felt rather powerful, and certainly full of "light", but it felt like it was a facade. If I were to compare it to something physical, it's like a person pretending to shine with light while paying someone to always shine a spotlight on them from afar. I'm not sure if gods work the same way as us in terms of mental functions, but it almost gave off a narcissistic feeling, like it thought it was more than it actually was. It certainly was more powerful than most humans, but that power felt off for some reason (my personal theory is that said feeling was from the way its followers affected it, as gods and their followers are intrinsically linked). It did give me truthful answers to my questions, and felt rather genuine in its desire to help humans, but it still struck me as odd.

I have just realized that I had failed to mention one other deity that I've technically interacted with, but said deity was one of chaos. I don't know its name, but one of my friends has a habit of getting possessed by it. Not really much to say about this one, other than the fact that it's quite annoying when it possesses my friend. I've included this for the sake of a truthful response, but I honestly don't think there's much I can really say about this one.

Just now, Paradoxal said:

They're nearly indistinguishable, but it's been pointed out to me that *technically* the Christian god and the Islam god are both split-offs of the Jewish god, in that they were originally one being until their followers' combined delusions ended up splitting them. 

I would say that it felt rather powerful, and certainly full of "light", but it felt like it was a facade. If I were to compare it to something physical, it's like a person pretending to shine with light while paying someone to always shine a spotlight on them from afar. I'm not sure if gods work the same way as us in terms of mental functions, but it almost gave off a narcissistic feeling, like it thought it was more than it actually was. It certainly was more powerful than most humans, but that power felt off for some reason (my personal theory is that said feeling was from the way its followers affected it, as gods and their followers are intrinsically linked). It did give me truthful answers to my questions, and felt rather genuine in its desire to help humans, but it still struck me as odd.

I have just realized that I had failed to mention one other deity that I've technically interacted with, but said deity was one of chaos. I don't know its name, but one of my friends has a habit of getting possessed by it. Not really much to say about this one, other than the fact that it's quite annoying when it possesses my friend. I've included this for the sake of a truthful response, but I honestly don't think there's much I can really say about this one.

Again very interesting, thank you.

I would be interested to hear your take on demons and demonic possession?

FWIW, as a Jew, imo, the Jewish concept of God has changed and evolved.  Definitely not the same as as biblical times 3 or 4,000 years ago.  Nor 2,000 years ago at the time of Jesus.  Which tends to be where Christians have sorta locked into a bit.  Jewish theology is seeing God as awesome encompassing all space and time.  We live.. within.. and the essence is within us.  Cosmic yet personal. 

The prayers that seem somewhat 'kiss ass' are in modern terms meant to put us in a state of resonance.  We're not buttering up God calling him great and mighty, rather we're praying the words to get our minds around the nature of Godliness.  Some might go further and say Patriarchs are a focal points for certain ethical values, rather then the actual people in the bible. 

<Certainly the bible can be awful, bloody, superstitious.. a number of negative 'isms,  but twisted around enough pretty decent wisdom can be squeezed out of the lemon.>

Course it depends on your rabbi and how things are taught, but historically the torah's read w/ the idea of Pardes.. that there's 4 main levels of understanding with the literal one being the lowest.  ie-

• Peshat (פְּשָׁט‎) – "surface" ("straight") or the literal (direct) meaning.[1]
  • Remez (רֶמֶז‎) – "hints" or the deep (allegoric: hidden or symbolic) meaning beyond just the literal sense.
  • Derash (דְּרַשׁ‎) – from Hebrew darash: "inquire" ("seek") – the comparative (midrashic) meaning, as given through similar occurrences.
  • Sod (סוֹד‎) (pronounced with a long O as in 'lore') – "secret" ("mystery") or the esoteric/mystical meaning, as given through inspiration or revelation.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I remember a long time ago watching an episode of Star Trek the original series where they come across Apollo but since almost no one believed in him or worshiped him anymore he faded out of existence.

2 minutes ago, thelerner said:

FWIW, as a Jew, imo, the Jewish concept of God has changed and evolved.  Definitely not the same as as biblical times 3 or 4,000 years ago.  Nor 2,000 years ago at the time of Jesus.  Which tends to be where Christians have sorta locked into a bit.  Jewish theology is seeing God as awesome encompassing all space and time.  We live.. within.. and the essence is within us.  Cosmic yet personal. 

The prayers that seem somewhat 'kiss ass' are in modern terms meant to put us in a state of resonance.  We're not buttering up God calling him great and mighty, rather we're praying the words to get our minds around the nature of Godliness.  Some might go further and say Patriarchs are a focal points for certain ethical values, rather then the actual people in the bible. 

Course it depends on your rabbi and how things are taught, but historically the torah's read w/ the idea of Pardes.. that there's 4 main levels of understanding with the literal one being the lowest.  ie-

• Peshat (פְּשָׁט‎) – "surface" ("straight") or the literal (direct) meaning.[1]
  • Remez (רֶמֶז‎) – "hints" or the deep (allegoric: hidden or symbolic) meaning beyond just the literal sense.
  • Derash (דְּרַשׁ‎) – from Hebrew darash: "inquire" ("seek") – the comparative (midrashic) meaning, as given through similar occurrences.
  • Sod (סוֹד‎) (pronounced with a long O as in 'lore') – "secret" ("mystery") or the esoteric/mystical meaning, as given through inspiration or revelation.

Yeah good point. I've often noticed the Jewish God of today does not at all seem like the one on the mountain with Moses with thunder and plagues and such. These days he seems more sophisticated. Like he started off Russel Crowe and evolved into Jeff Goldbloom? 

• Haha 1

Since were documenting our contacts with Gods, my first contact came when I was a young child.  I was awoken in the middle of the night and something was placed inside of me and the visitors told me something important and not to forget, which I immediately did and fell back asleep.  The next time was when I was in second grade staring at some comic books thinking how badly I wanted them and I raised my mind to think what to do.  I heard  a child-like voice say "I cant", then I heard a more mature voice say "You could" then I heard a grown womans voice say "I dont care, I want it!"  This was when I was thinking of stealing it.  So I stole it and the next time I was at the store I saw another comic I wanted and a male voice around 22 said "Go ahead, its yours" and so I stole it.  

Around my first communion I had a vision of a man asking me what I wanted to do for God, and I said I wanted to get rid of Sin, since God didnt like it.  

God kind of vanished from my life until I read a book about meditation and did what they suggested, which was chant "Amun" until I fell into a trance and the book said it will feel dangerous and you will want to back away but you are supposed to press on and endure.  So as I fell into this trance my mind felt pressured, like I had reached a ceiling, and I got dizzy- but I pressed on and had my chakras line and alight and pulse up and down my body.

I was dabbling with drugs and alcohol and found myself very depressed and laid in bed for a couple weeks.  As I started to wake, a voice said to pretend like each day was totally a new life.  So I did that, and I thought "What makes life good?" and I decided love made life good, so I practiced loving each person I met.  

I was on LSD a few months later and was thinking about God and what to do with my life and I heard/felt a presence tell me to just love.

God vanished again and about 7 years went by.  I was a painter, painting in a conjuring sort of way- abstractly expressing emotion while my mind imagined ideas and I tried to bridge the two on canvas.  A friend challenged me, he said "Whats good for you isnt good to me" and I couldnt understand what he meant, didnt we all believe in the same ideas of good?  Paranoid thoughts started to arise and a spirit took hold of my body and drew out a diamond shape symbol.  I went to the bookstore to investigate symbols and one of them said when you receive a symbol you are supposed to take it apart and analyze the parts- like you would a sigil.  I started doing this and thinking about God and what I knew or thought I knew, and I realized that I had heard "God is love, God made the world" and from those ideals I declared "The world is love", which at the time struck me as totally naïve and wrong- there was much more to the world than this.  That is when the woman from the Islamic group Al Quida that was photographed long before 911 and was on the cover of National Geographic with here green eyes staring right into the camera popped into my head, and I blurted out "Youre not the God of love!  Give me the power to bring love here!"  and a voice, both masculine and feminine and containing many voices, spoke in a stream of language a number of words in a strange language.  The voice seemed to come from outside of me as well as inside.

I got paranoid and thought that we were about to be attacked so I went scrambling telling government officials that someone from the middle East was going to attack us.  They thought I was crazy, but less than a year later 911 happened.  I also was in New Orleans going through some possession and hearing voices when I heard them say they were going to destroy the place.  Less than a year later Katrina hit.  These two instances did not help me in my bridging reality with the unknown.  It was too close to home that I could predict these events.  

Prior to 911, after getting the symbol, I studied symbols and found one that mystified me.  I went to lay down and I was imagining that I was part of an Order, then I thought "The world is order" then I thought "NO!  The world is Chaos!"  and a blue jewel showed up in my mind and the symbol appeared over it and cracked it open.  I saw myself in a green field with an angel luring me, smiling.  He took me up and I heard "Chessed, Chessed" and I met a God on a throne that said "I am the Sephiroth, I am all that is".  I didnt believe it so I mentally ran away, and my head cracked open and tilted sideways.  

From the opening in my body I started having wires come into my body and overtake it.  I heard voices, had visions, was given a few lessons in philosophy and tarot, and when I asked "Why is this happening to me??"  I fell asleep and as I awoke the words AIWASS and WHITE BROTHERHOOD flashed in my mind.  

Ive since battled schizophrenia and feel demonically possessed.  

9 hours ago, old3bob said:

many dismiss gods (and angles) as superstition or as unimportant...

"You are the God of this present reality as you created it with your own mind together with the rest of humanity."

EVERYTHING arises from within YOU including this physical self called the body. 

About the religious gods:

All man-made superstition.

Seriously find out through practice because there is a lot of misinformation in all the major religions. I also believed  in all this supernatural beliefs that have been going on for thousands of years. 

About beings living in other places, that's a different story. They live in the world they created with their own minds too, like we did.

Many worlds many beings.

• Like 1