old3bob

new or various gadgets

Liked the Riding Dragons video.  Sent it to my daughter's who has caught the skydiving bug. 

My latest gadgets are Oculus Quest VR 2, at $299, its an amazing game machine, but it plays Netflix, Prime video(w/ subscriptions), Youtubes like you're in a theater.  Games are immersive and require full body movement.

More down to earth, got a cast iron rocket stove.  Its the only serious fire instrument that seems safe on wooden deck, (on metal table w/ pads under it).  Burns hot and clean, no sparks.  With a foil catcher under it, no debris left.  Bruntmor Camping Rocket Stove, Self Feeding Wood Burning Stove ($103).  You can put a pan or kettle on the top, but its more fun to add wood and see a blue hot flame coming from its chimney. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, thelerner said:

Liked the Riding Dragons video.  Sent it to my daughter's who has caught the skydiving bug. 

My latest gadgets are Oculus Quest VR 2, at $299, its an amazing game machine, but it plays Netflix, Prime video(w/ subscriptions), Youtubes like you're in a theater.  Games are immersive and require full body movement.

More down to earth, got a cast iron rocket stove.  Its the only serious fire instrument that seems safe on wooden deck, (on metal table w/ pads under it).  Burns hot and clean, no sparks.  With a foil catcher under it, no debris left.  Bruntmor Camping Rocket Stove, Self Feeding Wood Burning Stove ($103).  You can put a pan or kettle on the top, but its more fun to add wood and see a blue hot flame coming from its chimney. 

Hi Lerner,  That stove sounds like  very good equipment and something I'll have to check out!   I haven't done much with the newer types of computer related products except for getting the most basic operations out of them.  (like with Win 10 and a cam, same  with my smart phone)  I started with the old XT-PC's and Dos 3.2 and progressed over the years to building base line Win 10 machines but without much gaming or other fancy stuff.  My favorite machine is still my trusty super socket 7 board running Dos software and early Windows which really dates me ;-)   (with a good dose of patience one could and still can really have fun tinkering with the vintage machines imo)

Edited by old3bob
  • Like 2

Not exactly a gadget , but new    as a 'revamp'

with exquisite Art Deco   styling  ! 

The R18  motor

bmw-r18-engine-7568-medium.jpeg

What a donk !

bmw-motorrad-concept-r18-motorcycle-18.p

• Like 3

In bed my favorite gadget is-

A comforter filled w/ silk, not down.  Around it a bamboo duvet.  It's like sleeping on well.. silk.   It's not the warm hug of down, its a cool and ethereal feeling.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, thelerner said:

1024px-SMirC-worry.svg.png&f=1&nofb=1

1 hour ago, thelerner said:

A comforter filled w/ silk, not down.  Around it a bamboo duvet.  It's like sleeping on well.. silk.   It's not the warm hug of down, its a cool and ethereal feeling.   

relieved-smiley.png&f=1&nofb=1

• Haha 4

At the moment it is new  12v rechargeable portable blender , a present from a friend .

I have been having red pawpaw and passion fruit, smoothies with milk,  yogurt and honey    :) 

- one for the picnic basket , for those 'heat wave' days when  I run off to camp out at the beach

Edited by Nungali
  • Thanks 2

Wingsuit and base jumping unbelievable!!!!

Not that adventurous in life. My latest gadget is Champion Juicer. I wanted Gerson hydraulic press but could not afford.

Working on only organic carrots drinking now.

• Thanks 1

we bought our very first new car in 2018 before that we had a used 2005 model.  The new car has all sorts of gadgets that I have not really figured out or have disabled.   I remember the first time I took the car on the highway and tried to pass someone when the brakes automatically came on, what the hell and how does that work for safety?!  On a sad and tragic note we should wonder how many accidents have been caused when someone was trying to figure out a device  in their car instead of having their eyes on the road.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, old3bob said:

we bought our very first new car in 2018 before that we had a used 2005 model.  The new car has all sorts of gadgets that I have not really figured out or have disabled.   I remember the first time I took the car on the highway and tried to pass someone when the brakes automatically came on, what the hell and how does that work for safety?!  On a sad and tragic note we should wonder how many accidents have been caused when someone was trying to figure out a device  in their car instead of having their eyes on the road.

My new car tells me when to change gear (I ignore), squeaks if I cross a lane marking (annoying), beeps with increasing intensity if I leave my seat belt off even if parking (very annoying), tells me if my tire pressure is low (kind of useful), beeps if I get too close to another car (ok but off putting).  What happened to cars that you just drive?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Apech said:

My new car tells me when to change gear (I ignore), squeaks if I cross a lane marking (annoying), beeps with increasing intensity if I leave my seat belt off even if parking (very annoying), tells me if my tire pressure is low (kind of useful), beeps if I get too close to another car (ok but off putting).  What happened to cars that you just drive?

:lol: Is it a Mazda? 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, thelerner said:

How imperial :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A few months back, I got this awesome little practice guitar amp with AI features. It will pull in your iTunes or Spotify library and detect chords of songs you want to play, and becomes a jam along amp with any song in your library. 

What’s even cooler is that the amp is built on software sims so literally can model thousands of effects and many different kinds of amps. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, thelerner said:

A bamboo duvet! ? !

6 minutes ago, dwai said:

A few months back, I got this awesome little practice guitar amp with AI features. It will pull in your iTunes or Spotify library and detect chords of songs you want to play, and becomes a jam along amp with any song in your library. 

What’s even cooler is that the amp is built on software sims so literally can model thousands of effects and many different kinds of amps. 

Welcome to your mid-life crisis :)

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Apech said:

Welcome to your mid-life crisis :)

My entire life has been and continues to be a midlife crisis ;) 

• Haha 3

26 minutes ago, SirPalomides said:

I have a 2018 Corolla that has these features. The line-crossing beep can be switched off.

Perhaps one day I'll read the handbook :)

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Apech said:

Perhaps one day I'll read the handbook :)

I can relate to that, and the need to also remember what I read.  My wife often expects me to figure out the bells and whistles of all the various gadgets which I seldom mind, but at some point it is also a shared responsibility, like doing the dishes.  

1 minute ago, old3bob said:

I can relate to that, and the need to also remember what I read.  My wife often expects me to figure out the bells and whistles of all the various gadgets which I seldom mind, but at some point it is also a shared responsibility, like doing the dishes.  

I rarely get past the idiots guide (in pictures) at the beginning.

• Like 1