Taomeow

It is known

Doctors started prescribing thalidomide in 1956.  It was marketed as absolutely safe with no side effects.  The first doctors who tried reporting side effects -- neurological disorders in some of their patients -- were ignored.  The vast majority had neither the data nor any incentives to report anything or to put two and two together.  A later estimate, of only the reported cases, which typically constitute about 1% of all actual adverse events, confirmed  40,000 cases of peripheral neuropathy. 

The first batch of side effects to finally get noticed five years later, in 1961, caused two and two to be put together only because it was much too visible to the naked eye and much harder to pretend didn't exist.   In this respect only, thalidomide was a very atypical story -- in a typical case, no one can prove shit.     

12,000 children were born without limbs and/or with other (massive) developmental abnormalities.  Only 5,000 of them proceeded to survive their childhood.  These "side effects" took place even if the pregnant woman had only ingested 1 prescribed pill -- it was enough to disrupt the blood supply to the fetus, resulting in severe morbidities.  

Edited by Taomeow
  • Sad 1

2019 flu cases: 38 million

2020 flu cases: 1,800

The size of the flu virus is up to 120 nm.  The size of the covid virus is up to 500 nm.  

Which means the flu virus has a much easier time getting aerosolized and hanging in the air, and a much easier time penetrating through the mask.  Which means social distancing and mask wearing do not explain the disappearance of the flu.

So, what happened to the flu?

I'm reminded of George R.R. Martin's sci fi novel, "Tuf Voyaging."  According to which, the reason for countless periodic epidemics on certain planets is somewhat mundane: an abandoned interplanetary biowarfare spaceship that keeps spinning on its orbit with certain periodicity, automatically disseminating pathogens of all kinds of nasty diseases on approach to the planet.  The locals are aware of that ship (though they think of it as an evil star of illness and calamity -- just like Stars 2 and 5 in feng shui).  Their history of thousands of years of periodic epidemics they attribute (rightfully) to unnatural evil intrusions (just like humans on this planet always did till a little over 100 years ago).  In reality, not one of those epidemics has ever been "of natural origins" -- but the locals of course perceive it as part of how nature works -- no one can even imagine the kind of technology the ship is equipped with -- so it is understood as part of nature.  Well, until someone knowledgeable takes possession of it and starts his little interplanetary racket.  With this kind of power, he promptly becomes god to various inhabited planets.  He's not an evil guy, he cares deeply about his cat and so on...  but who could turn down godlike power?..        

Edited by Taomeow
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Lewis Carroll, the author of "Alice in Wonderland," visited Russia in 1867, traveling to many cities.  It was his only trip abroad.  The writer was interested in Russian culture, and compiled a "Travel Diary to Russia" that was not intended for publication (it was actually published after his death.)

In the diary, Carroll wrote down a simple Russian word -- защищающихся ("thоsе whо рrоtect thеmsеlvеs" in the generative case) spelled in English.  It looks like this: "zashtsheeshtshауoushtsheekhsya."  Apparently not a single native speaker of English could pronounce it.

Edited by Taomeow
  • Thanks 1

What are those (exceedingly rare these days) rebellious presidents we are always told are either blood-thirsty dictators or else backward idiots up to?  Why are they not towing the line?  

Take Lukashenko, e.g.  In June of 2020 the president of Belarus publicly snubbed a $940 million line of credit from the International Monetary Fund. He rejected it because the IMF conditioned the loan on Belarus imposing a strict Covid-19 lockdown policy and a curfew.  It is a long-standing practice of the IMF to offer loans to a nation while setting conditions that severely impair that nation’s ability to repay.

In all likelihood, a number of other nations received similar offers from the IMF and/or the World Bank.  I for one know about the Covid-19 conditionality only because the president of Belarus disclosed it publicly.  (How dare you!!!)  Lukashenko mentioned on several occasions that the IMF negotiators wanted Belarus to do “like in Italy.” Other nations and governments who accepted the money may have quietly agreed to the conditionality which they never disclosed to the rest of us.

How dare those puny blood-thirsty dictatorial backward idiots undermine the megaprofits of their most powerful most generous impeccably democratic progress-minded servant-of-the-people globalist superiors?..  Off with their heads!   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Prince Philip died on the 99th day of the year, which is April 9th, at the age of 99.  Some conspirology minded numerologists assert that for many celebrities, dates of death are selected in a specific occult fashion (like all other dates of public significance.) 

He will be fondly remembered for some of his lapidary pronouncements -- e.g. this one:

"I don't think a prostitute is more moral than a wife, but they are doing the same thing."  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 09/04/2021 at 6:07 PM, Taomeow said:

He will be fondly remembered for some of his lapidary pronouncements -- e.g. this one:

"I don't think a prostitute is more moral than a wife, but they are doing the same thing."  

Does the story tell if he was drunk at the royal diner ?

On 10/04/2021 at 2:07 AM, Taomeow said:

Prince Philip died on the 99th day of the year, which is April 9th, at the age of 99.  Some conspirology minded numerologists assert that for many celebrities, dates of death are selected in a specific occult fashion (like all other dates of public significance.) 

Some of my favourite Phil's ;

On a visit to a new youth centre ( kids exercising, ping pong, etc in back ground ) " Which are the one's on drugs ? That kid there , is he on drugs ? "

On officially meeting head of State of another country ( Nigeria ) 

prince-phillip-duke-of-edinburgh-image-1

" What ? You are ready for bed this early ? "

Woman to Philip :  " No ... I am actually the  Head Engineer of the project . "

Philip ; " What  YOU ? "

Woman ; " yes. "

Philip " Well now ! .... Good for YOU ! "

"You're too fat to be an astronaut." To 13-year-old Andrew Adams who told Prince Philip he wanted to go into space.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, CloudHands said:

Does the story tell if he was drunk at the royal diner ?

Why?  Was he known to turn nicer or naughtier when he was drunk compared to when he was sober?  Can go either way, different for different people.  I wouldn't know though, have never been invited to the royal dinner yet.  (If I ever was, by this particular family, I'd run and hide.  Shakespeare comes to mind:

KING CLAUDIUS: Now, Hamlet, where's Polonius?

HAMLET: At supper.

KING CLAUDIUS: At supper! where?

HAMLET: Not where he eats, but where he is eaten: a certain convocation of politic worms are e'en at him. )

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Taomeow said:

Why?  Was he known to turn nicer or naughtier when he was drunk compared to when he was sober?  Can go either way, different for different people.  I wouldn't know though, have never been invited to the royal dinner yet.  (If I ever was, by this particular family, I'd run and hide.  Shakespeare comes to mind:

HAMLET: Not where he eats, but where he is eaten: a certain convocation of politic worms are e'en at him. )

ahah it sounds like a drunk saying to me but after Nungali's post he might be a natural xD

This man's existence came to my knowledge the day he died !

• Like 1

Can anyone tell me why be isn’t king Phillip?

The short answer would be enough..

2 hours ago, con. said:

Can anyone tell me why be isn’t king Phillip?

The short answer would be enough..

I tried to look it up and didn't find a clear answer anywhere.  Found something interesting though -- the oath of allegiance he swore at Elizabeth's coronation:

“I, Philip, Duke of Edinburgh
do become your liege man of life and limb,
and of earthly worship;
and faith and truth I will bear unto you,
to live and die, against all manner of folks.
So help me God.” 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Taomeow said:

Oh no, what a waste . Imagine all the reverse insults one coud throw his way to see how HE handles it .

1c2feef0c9ad380447b2be01d8c914150e47b273

"Pleased to meet you .............. Mr Burns. "

bxMQKvr.jpg

" Didn't you star in 'Nosferartu ' ?  "

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTjpGkEE-3b8kRH7Wfg_zG

I didnt know you where a 'prizefighter' ! "

• Like 1

If you ever doubted that we live in a golden age continuously celebrating the Alchemical Marriage of Modern Science™ and Globalization, take a look at some of its most prized fruits.  (Warning: high likelihood of a cringe/shudder response in sensitive individuals.  Proceed with caution.)     

https://zimbabweobserver.co.za/2021/04/china-seizes-7221-human-penises-on-cargo-ship-from-nigeria/ 

• Confused 1

He notado que recientemente estamos hospedando a varios trolls ... debe ser la temporada de migración otra ves?

Y no, este hilo no sirve de nada señor pantalón goblin, la utilidad de él reside en quienes aportan. Si hay inutilidad, está en ti.

mas o menos.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, silent thunder said:

He notado que recientemente estamos hospedando a varios trolls ... debe ser la temporada de migración otra ves?

Y no, este hilo no sirve de nada señor pantalón goblin, la utilidad de él reside en quienes aportan. Si hay inutilidad, está en ti.

mas o menos.

La inutilidad en su verdadera manifestación es, según Zhuangzi *, la máxima sabiduría de los sabios. Ay, solo puedo soñar con este nivel.

*remember his story about the useless tree?

• Thanks 1