Taomeow

It is known

In a little town in Switzerland, there's a very large and very elegant lunatic asylum...  sorry...  mental health institution, located in a remote area and looking quite magnificent against the backdrop of snow-covered mountains.  There's a bus stop nearby.  It is fake.  it's been installed there in order to fool any patient who might manage to escape.  He sees the bus stop so he stays there waiting for the bus.  He'll be waiting for a long time.  Up until he's caught.  

Edited by Taomeow

That's got me thinking...

Given the circumstances here regarding our history...  could Earth be a version of one of those 'bus stops' on a galactic scale?

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, silent thunder said:

That's got me thinking...

Given the circumstances here regarding our history...  could Earth be a version of one of those 'bus stops' on a galactic scale?

I'd say Earth is the institution.  And the bus stop is for people like Elon Musk.  

But my initial vision was of our political system.  Our eternal wait for the bus that will take us away from madness.  It is fake and they will catch us every single time.  But even if we escaped...  even if that bus arrived, by a miracle of god...  wouldn't the escaping lunatic take his madness with him wherever he goes?..    

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Taomeow said:

Spotted today in San Diego

8fgxfszeq7b61.jpg

How to respond?  Sad, confused, haha, thanks...all the possible responses seem equally appropriate to me, which makes sense when you think about it: the first sign of the zombie apocalypse is a garbled mind. :huh:

Edited by liminal_luke
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, liminal_luke said:

How to respond?  Sad, confused, haha, thanks...all the possible responses seem equally appropriate to me, which makes sense when you think about it: the first sign of the zombie apocalypse is a garbled mind. :huh:

This reminds me of the book I once read, by an anthropologist and researcher Wade Davis, about voodoo sorcerers in Haiti and their methods of making zombies.  He found that zombies are greatly feared by the general population, but the fear is not of being attacked by zombies -- a very minor concern -- but of being turned into a zombie, something a sorcerer can do to you if commissioned for the task.  These sorcerers are professionals, they don't do it out of the baseness of their nature, they do it if hired for the task, and also if they seek power in the community.  Power and money are the objectives of turning people into zombies. 

Being turned into a zombie is thought of as the most terrifying fate that can befall a human being on earth.  I'd say those simple people's minds are far less garbled than the minds of our society that voluntarily offer themselves to the process of zombification on a daily basis.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Those of Biden's champions who are diabetic and dependent on insulin for keeping their diabetes in check are now celebrating their victory in earnest.  After all, they won the removal of the price cap on insulin criminally imposed by Trump in his misguided attempt to curb the pharma's appetite rooted in his wrongful and outrageous disregard for its superprofits.  He was single-handedly responsible for the $60 a box price cap -- that's what insulin dependent diabetics were forced to pay in 2020 under his monstrous rule.  Thankfully, Joe Biden removed that horrendous Trump price cap immediately, practically first thing he did once in office.  Which resulted in a great new cause for celebration right away -- the price immediately went up to $328 a box.  And that's only the beginning.  Sky's the limit!   

So, special congratulations to the insulin dependent diabetics among the winners are in order.  I know that some of you go through a box of insulin in a month, while others require multiple boxes each month.  I know that this is not a medication of choice, you need your insulin, for the rest of your life, to stay alive.  I know it can't be rationed so you can't use less, you have to use as much as you have to use per your doctor's prescription, and the amount is non-negotiable if you want to stay alive.  I know that all of this makes you very happy.  I rejoice with you.  The only thing that pains me is knowing that people who didn't vote for Biden are in the same boat with you now even though they did nothing to deserve the honor.  Maybe they should be forced to keep paying Trump prices for their insulin, they who tried to go against our pharmaceutical industry's best interest, who were willing to undermine its victorious march with their selfish concerns for their own and their family members' puny lives.  Why reward them now with this chance to contribute they didn't fight for?..  Methinks they ought to be punished instead.  $60 a box for them!  They don't deserve to pay the hard-won $328 a box!  Anyone who voted for Trump should be forced to pay the Trump price.  That would serve the bastards right!               

Edited by Taomeow
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

21 hours ago, Taomeow said:

Those of Biden's champions who are diabetic and dependent on insulin for keeping their diabetes in check are now celebrating their victory in earnest.  After all, they won the removal of the price cap on insulin criminally imposed by Trump in his misguided attempt to curb the pharma's appetite, out of his wrongful and outrageous disregard for its superprofits.  He was single-handedly responsible for the $60 a box price cap -- that's what insulin dependent diabetics were forced to pay in 2020 under his monstrous rule.  Thankfully, Joe Biden removed that horrendous Trump price cap immediately, practically first thing he did once in office.  Which resulted in a great new cause for celebration right away -- the price immediately went up to $328 a box.  And that's only the beginning.  Sky's the limit!   

So, special congratulations to the insulin dependent diabetics among the winners are in order.  I know that some of you go through a box of insulin in a month, while others require multiple boxes each month.  I know that this is not a medication of choice, you need your insulin, for the rest of your life, to stay alive.  I know it can't be rationed so you can't use less, you have to use as much as you have to use per your doctor's prescription, and the amount is non-negotiable if you want to stay alive.  I know that all of this makes you very happy.  I rejoice with you.  The only thing that pains me is knowing that people who didn't vote for Biden are in the same boat with you now even though they did nothing to deserve the honor.  Maybe they should be forced to keep paying Trump prices for their insulin, they who tried to go against our pharmaceutical industry's best interest, who were willing to undermine its victorious march with their selfish concerns for their own and their family members' puny lives.  Why reward them now with this chance to contribute they didn't fight for?..  Methinks they ought to be punished instead.  $60 a box for them!  They don't deserve to pay the hard-won $328 a box!  Anyone who voted for Trump should be forced to pay the Trump price.  That would serve the bastards right!               

I know right, how could poor folks not support democrats?
its against their financial best interests, they say.

rural poor folks who do not have public transportation options,, well I paid 1.37 a gallon of gas before Christmas and now it’s 2.41. I’m sure it’ll be 3$ or more by May.

every tax increase to soak the rich gets passed on down, trickle down economics, causing the poor to pay increased prices across the board.

the good news that minimum wage will be raised, doubled, that joy is lost when the the person holding a job making 8$ an hour no longer has a job when the increase goes into effect.

those at the poverty line or half the poverty line, and those I know who make do on under a thousand a month, 700, 600, 500, or 400 a month, those who are truly poor, do not necessarily fare better under democrat led government.

• Like 3

On 2/13/2021 at 10:55 AM, zerostao said:

those at the poverty line or half the poverty line, and those I know who make do on under a thousand a month, 700, 600, 500, or 400 a month, those who are truly poor, do not necessarily fare better under democrat led government.

In CA, I'd say this is putting it mildly.  An example from just yesterday from my neck-of-woods:

a 13-year old girl took her mom's car and went on a joy ride with her friend, drove the car into some bushes and killed two homeless men who were sleeping there for lack of a better place to sleep.  She was briefly (for a couple of hours) arrested and then released home to her parents, apparently end of story.  There's so many homeless people in California, who cares if someone kills a couple for sport, there's more where these come from.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

On 2/12/2021 at 2:49 PM, Taomeow said:

Those of Biden's champions who are diabetic and dependent on insulin for keeping their diabetes in check are now celebrating their victory in earnest.  After all, they won the removal of the price cap on insulin criminally imposed by Trump in his misguided attempt to curb the pharma's appetite rooted in his wrongful and outrageous disregard for its superprofits.  He was single-handedly responsible for the $60 a box price cap -- that's what insulin dependent diabetics were forced to pay in 2020 under his monstrous rule.  Thankfully, Joe Biden removed that horrendous Trump price cap immediately, practically first thing he did once in office.  Which resulted in a great new cause for celebration right away -- the price immediately went up to $328 a box.  And that's only the beginning.  Sky's the limit!   .

From my perusal, though it was on Fox and said by a Republican legislator, the fact checking I've found have counted the claim as false. It's a huge problem, I don't think its a bipartisan one necessarily.  Full explanations-

https://www.wkyc.com/article/news/verify/verify-biden-administration-insulin-costs/531-57ea96f8-bcbf-412e-8d25-6aaaa37319b4

https://www.factcheck.org/2020/09/viral-post-wrongly-ties-cost-drop-to-trumps-prescription-bill/ 

this one looks at another meme that is incorrect.

https://www.statesman.com/story/news/politics/politifact/2021/02/12/insulin-prices-us-rising-uninsured-biden-mark-walker-fact-check/6740566002/

".. Mark Walker: “President Biden is raising the prices of insulin and Epi-Pens on those with high costs and the uninsured.”

PolitiFact's ruling: Mostly False

Here's why: A Republican running for U.S. Senate in North Carolina says Joe Biden is already raising drug prices for some of the most vulnerable Americans.  Former Congressman Mark Walker hopes to replace U.S. Sen. Richard Burr, who won’t seek reelection next year.

Two days after Biden’s inauguration, Walker took aim at the new Democratic president.

"The disdain for President Trump and his accomplishments are so deep that President Biden is raising the prices of insulin and Epi-Pens on those with high costs and the uninsured," Walker tweeted

.. Our ruling

Walker said Biden "is raising the prices of insulin and Epi-Pens on those with high costs and the uninsured."

Biden froze a directive that would have ordered some health centers to provide insulin and epi-pens at the same price they purchased them through a government program. 

But experts say the health centers were already providing the discounts. Furthermore, Biden froze Trump’s order before it ever took effect, so it’s inaccurate to suggest prices are going up.

The program’s status quo will continue until a final decision is made. We rate this claim Mostly False.

Edited by thelerner
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, thelerner said:

From my perusal, though it was on Fox and said by a Republican legislator, the fact checking I've found have counted the claim as false. It's a huge problem, I don't think its a bipartisan one necessarily.  Full explanations-

https://www.wkyc.com/article/news/verify/verify-biden-administration-insulin-costs/531-57ea96f8-bcbf-412e-8d25-6aaaa37319b4

https://www.factcheck.org/2020/09/viral-post-wrongly-ties-cost-drop-to-trumps-prescription-bill/ 

this one looks at another meme that is incorrect.

https://www.statesman.com/story/news/politics/politifact/2021/02/12/insulin-prices-us-rising-uninsured-biden-mark-walker-fact-check/6740566002/

".. Mark Walker: “President Biden is raising the prices of insulin and Epi-Pens on those with high costs and the uninsured.”

PolitiFact's ruling: Mostly False

Here's why: A Republican running for U.S. Senate in North Carolina says Joe Biden is already raising drug prices for some of the most vulnerable Americans.  Former Congressman Mark Walker hopes to replace U.S. Sen. Richard Burr, who won’t seek reelection next year.

Two days after Biden’s inauguration, Walker took aim at the new Democratic president.

"The disdain for President Trump and his accomplishments are so deep that President Biden is raising the prices of insulin and Epi-Pens on those with high costs and the uninsured," Walker tweeted

.. Our ruling

Walker said Biden "is raising the prices of insulin and Epi-Pens on those with high costs and the uninsured."

Biden froze a directive that would have ordered some health centers to provide insulin and epi-pens at the same price they purchased them through a government program. 

But experts say the health centers were already providing the discounts. Furthermore, Biden froze Trump’s order before it ever took effect, so it’s inaccurate to suggest prices are going up.

The program’s status quo will continue until a final decision is made. We rate this claim Mostly False.

Nah, I know too well whose payroll the "fact checkers" are on and have spent some time in the past diligently fact checking their fact checking, which has taught me to despise and ignore their trickery.   

In any event I didn't get this from the sources they "debunk" whatever they are.  I don't watch any news.   I got this from an African-American running for governor of California, Errol Webber, who posted a video of a mother of a diabetic kid returning from the drug store the other day with her newly priced insulin.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/14/2021 at 5:20 PM, Taomeow said:

In CA, I'd say this is putting it mildly.  An example from just yesterday from my neck-of-woods:

a 13-year old girl took her mom's car and went on a joy ride with her friend, drove the car into some bushes and killed two homeless men who were sleeping there for lack of a better place to sleep.  She was briefly (for a couple of hours) arrested and then released home to her parents, apparently end of story.  There's so many homeless people in California, who cares if someone kills a couple for sport, there's more where these come from.  

I’d say the girl has a bright future ahead of her; not one of merely being a politician, rather one high up the corporate ladder. If she an flash an attractive smile, the sky is the limit.

Edited by zerostao
  • Sad 1

Mohamed Mahmoud Al Khaja, the first UAE ambassador to Israel.  

150475843_3623876301037295_3523297814818773061_n.jpg.f1ccc5c0c87e46c08a1bba1122b80e5d.jpg

Edited by Taomeow
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Taomeow said:

Mohamed Mahmoud Al Khaja, the first UAE ambassador to Israel.  

150475843_3623876301037295_3523297814818773061_n.jpg.f1ccc5c0c87e46c08a1bba1122b80e5d.jpg

Attractive in a might-actually-be-an-alien kinda way.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, liminal_luke said:

Attractive in a might-actually-be-an-alien kinda way.

You may be right -- he's actually a prince, and according to many ancient sources, many royal dynasties did have some kind of alien progenitor.  Which might explain their blue blood.    

• Like 1

"Lake Baikal is huge.  Even if you drowned all the people on Earth in it, its level would only rise by 3 centimeters."  -- Mikhail Grachyov, Director of the Limnology* Institute of the Russian Academy of Science.

* Limnology is the study of inland aquatic ecosystems 

The world's oldest, deepest lake is full of life. Humans are changing that.  | Popular Science

18 hours ago, Taomeow said:

"Lake Baikal is huge.  Even if you drowned all the people on Earth in it, its level would only rise by 3 centimeters."  -- Mikhail Grachyov, Director of the Limnology* Institute of the Russian Academy of Science.

* Limnology is the study of inland aquatic ecosystems 

The world's oldest, deepest lake is full of life. Humans are changing that.  | Popular Science

hopefully they didn't have to drown too many to come up with that statistic B) I think the authorities should keep their eye one Dr. Grachyov.

I was walking near Lake Michigan recently.  It holds one quadrillion gallons (though I'm always suspicious of such round numbers).  Its said if you drained 400 billion gallons it would go down one inch.  https://blog.livnfresh.com/how-many-gallons-does-lake-michigan-have/

Looking at it, is entrancing.  Like the sky there's a feeling of infinity in its glittering vastness.  

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 2

A casual linguistic detour into prophetic Christianity

Charassoun (χαράσσουν) is the Greek for "mark" in the Bible's "mark of the beast."  Charassoun means "carve with a sharpened point."

Revelation 18:23 asserts all nations will be deceived by sorcery -- in the original, pharmakon (φάρμακον) -- the Greek for "drug, poison, spell."  

Having worked as a technical translator, I know how much meaning is lost if the translator doesn't have a frame of reference for the process described in the text.  I used to always approach engineers for the competent professional explanation of the subject matter of whatever I was translating, because unless I really understood the context, I (like any other translator dealing with a non-mundane original outside her own area of expertise) was doomed to choose a wrong word in a crucial spot.  Either too generic (and therefore devoid of the precise concrete meaning it had in the original), or specific but completely misguiding, randomly fished out of an assortment of options offered by the dictionary and missing the one and only meaningful option. 

I wonder if translators of the biblical prophecies had a chance to ask the prophets themselves, the way I asked the engineers, for any in-depth elucidations of the terms used and the processes described.  My guess is they didn't.  Well, that's too bad.  Gives a bad name to prophets who may well have deserved a great one instead.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

War is peace

Freedom is slavery

Ignorance is strength

gets amended:

3yrwaw2w80o61.jpg?width=512&auto=webp&s=013642b3cb75911ba159e564e4eba8f95104510b

United around corn syrup, which destroys vitamin D in the body and causes obesity -- both linked to severe cases and lethal outcomes of covid. 

To me, virtue signaling always spells wolf in sheep's clothing.  

No exceptions.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I thought Idiocracy the movie was a rather astute prophetic fantasy. 

I was wrong.  Every day, more and more signs point to it being a documentary.

Workers around the world lost $3.7 trillion in the pandemic.

Billionaires around the world gained $3.9 trillion in the pandemic.

It's the biggest one-year wealth transfer in the history of the human race.

It's only the beginning. 

Still waiting for "it all" to go "back to normal" as soon as "normal" is generously granted, contingent on -- insert a pointing finger -- YOU behaving the way you're told to?  Granted by the very entities for whom the abnormal works so much better?..  The more abnormal for you, the better for them?..  

I wouldn't hold my breath.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1