I thought I'd mention that Amitofuo mantra is very helpful for "staying single" if one desires to do so. This is something I've just noticed from experience and not anything I read about.

• Haha 2

On 5/22/2020 at 1:06 PM, dmattwads said:

I thought I'd mention that Amitofuo mantra is very helpful for "staying single" if one desires to do so. This is something I've just noticed from experience and not anything I read about.

Are there any mantras that help with not "staying single"?

• Like 1

On 9/8/2020 at 12:45 AM, EFreethought said:

Yes. I would say any of the wish fulfilling mantras like zhunti mantra or Nam myoho renge Kyo and stuff like that.

On 8. 9. 2020 at 7:45 AM, EFreethought said:

This mantra. I think it is okay to recite it without any lung or teachings. I actually think I got my amazing boyfriend in part thanks to this mantra.

• Like 1

On 9/12/2020 at 2:40 PM, Miroku said:

This mantra. I think it is okay to recite it without any lung or teachings. I actually think I got my amazing boyfriend in part thanks to this mantra

Thanks for reminding me about Arya Kurukulla. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, EFreethought said:

@dmattwads, @Miroku

Thanks for the response.

Do you actually chant mantras, or do you repeat them mentally while meditating?

I do both.

13 hours ago, EFreethought said:

@dmattwads, @Miroku

Thanks for the response.

Do you actually chant mantras, or do you repeat them mentally while meditating?

Depends on the practice, mantra etc. Some mantras should not be chanted, especially wrathful ones, but for those you need transmission for sure.

Otherwise both is good. I like to sing mani mantra when I do dishes for example. My teachers say that chanting mantras can be 100 times more effective than just reciting. Why? Well, the melody is often important part of the practice. In some cases the mantra was received with that particular melody from the buddhas, so the melody is very tied to the mantra. Also when sung with pleasant melody the mantras can then be an offering to local gods, guardians, spirits and also to the buddhas as everybody likes a pleasing sound.

So chanting is good. :) Silent recitation is also good and works better when one has to accumulate huge numbers of mantras.

• Like 1