Sign in to follow this  
ronko

Can you learn genuine gnostiscm these days ?

Recommended Posts

just curious if its possible or has the genuine tradition died out ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gnosticism was a highly inventive and protean set of doctrines that subsisted in different currents, some of which died out but others that continue in various forms. It is not always easy to say exactly what makes something gnostic as opposed to hermetic, Neoplatonist, etc. A lot of ideas that are sometimes deemed “gnostic” in popular presentations were really just commonly held ideas in the Hellenistic world. For instance, the notion that our world is controlled by oppressive “archons”, who can be either demons or incompetent angels, and who imprison us and prevent our access to higher spiritual realities, is important in the letters of Paul and his understanding of salvation. Gnosis as something gained through asceticism and mystic contemplation apart from the transient world runs through mainstream Christian spirituality, seem in the the Desert Fathers and the Philokalia. Apart from Christianity there are other gnostic formations in existence- the Yezidis and Mandaeans, for instance, although these communities are endangered and exceptionally remote for most people. There are occult groups with roots in Golden Dawn or claiming  Masonic or Rosicrucian lineage- are they legitimate? I guess it depends on how literally you take the need for some kind of apostolic succession. My opinion is that such lineage claims tend to involve a fair amount of mythology and sleight of hand.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SirPalomides said:

Gnosticism was a highly inventive and protean set of doctrines that subsisted in different currents, some of which died out but others that continue in various forms. It is not always easy to say exactly what makes something gnostic as opposed to hermetic, Neoplatonist, etc. A lot of ideas that are sometimes deemed “gnostic” in popular presentations were really just commonly held ideas in the Hellenistic world. For instance, the notion that our world is controlled by oppressive “archons”, who can be either demons or incompetent angels, and who imprison us and prevent our access to higher spiritual realities, is important in the letters of Paul and his understanding of salvation. Gnosis as something gained through asceticism and mystic contemplation apart from the transient world runs through mainstream Christian spirituality, seem in the the Desert Fathers and the Philokalia. Apart from Christianity there are other gnostic formations in existence- the Yezidis and Mandaeans, for instance, although these communities are endangered and exceptionally remote for most people. There are occult groups with roots in Golden Dawn or claiming  Masonic or Rosicrucian lineage- are they legitimate? I guess it depends on how literally you take the need for some kind of apostolic succession. My opinion is that such lineage claims tend to involve a fair amount of mythology and sleight of hand.

 

Not to mention that there are books out there claiming to teach Gnostic magic from the 1970s and even in contemporary times claiming to be an authentic lineage, but verifying it to me is a waste of time because some it comes across more like someone who read a few texts and threw together some ideas and called it authentic Gnostic work...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

2 minutes ago, Earl Grey said:

 

Not to mention that there are books out there claiming to teach Gnostic magic from the 1970s and even in contemporary times claiming to be an authentic lineage, but verifying it to me is a waste of time because some it comes across more like someone who read a few texts and threw together some ideas and called it authentic Gnostic work...

yeah thats the vibe i have got from what books i have read

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ronko said:

 

yeah thats the vibe i have got from what books i have read

 

Did one book come from a guy nicknamed "Astral Al" who just called it "The Book of Gnostic Magic"?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Earl Grey said:

 

Did one book come from a guy nicknamed "Astral Al" who just called it "The Book of Gnostic Magic"?

Haha , no , cant say it was astral al :P, but that sounds authentic enough to me !

think one of them was tau something who seems to be one of the main dudes but it didnt do anything for me, just seemed like a random set of practices bunched together under the title of Gnosticism.

Edited by ronko
edit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That said I wouldn’t get too hung up on what is “authentic” Gnosticism. The classical Gnostics don’t seem to have been at all. They were mythopoetic eclecticists and questions of strict succession don’t seem to have necessarily been of huge importance. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ronko said:

just curious if its possible or has the genuine tradition died out ?

How do you define Gnosticism?   As you can see, some are going for the early Christian group ideals, others towards magical philosophy. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.amazon.com/PROOF-Heretic-Mysticism-Yves-Cadoux/dp/B07QZV3MD7/ref=sr_1_6?crid=30VI1YAFC6BDW&dchild=1&keywords=yves+cadoux&qid=1588118084&sprefix=yves+cad%2Caps%2C193&sr=8-6

 

Picked up this last year.  Really tough read.  Lot's of 'this is the goal', but very very little guidance or practice on how to get there.  The second half of the book is a treatise of the Gospel of Thomas.  The author repeats himself to the point of distraction.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

There are things we can know, and things we cannot know.  We cannot know God, or what God intends with His actions.  We cannot know if God is pure mercy, or likes to see our suffering.  We cannot know what God does and why.  We cannot know what Heaven is like or how to get there, though we can assume that it is by good virtue.  How do we assume this?  Because collectively, for our survival, it is evident that we rely upon one another, and so, to be a philanthropist of some kind should be expected, and probably rewarded, considering that much of our life we are selfish creatures, having to learn to share coming with wisdom.  

 

There is also the belief that contradicts the aforementioned theory.  It is the belief that we are meant to oppose one another for our own good.  This was especially the focus with Nietzsche and has been more or less backed up by secret traditions, which say that evil and good and chaos are necessary.  

 

When it comes to Gnosticism, it depends on the answer that appeals to you, because mostly it is relevant to your experience and the Age you live in what is truth.

 

I lived a vigorous youth, reckless to some degree, and have since learned that being a powerful force can make it difficult for others, and so in my aging I have learned the value of prudence, and no longer go to extremes.  Did I enjoy a wild life?  Yes, I enjoyed it though it was struggle, until I fell in love and realized something more true- that love is what we yearn for in our struggling.  I believe people need this to be satisfied before they can move on to anything concerning acts that involve more than the self, I believe that we need to know love first.  I also believe we need to be satisfied in our talents and work.  

Edited by helpfuldemon
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Boundlesscostfairy said:

I know gnosis is about knowledge.. But how can we acquire it?

 

Is this where Scientology comes into play? Knowing how to know?


I can’t pretend to have achieved Gnosis myself but I feel confident that Tom Cruise isn’t any closer.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Boundlesscostfairy said:

Gnosis comes about by experiences of course..

 

But what are the specific sequences of experience that are conducive to gnosis? Or otherwise 100% knowledge..

 

Rewind the tape

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

True knowledge is what works when you interact with an object, though considering the variables the outcome isn't always the only one.  Trial and error is what its all about, documenting the process and compiling data to presume knowledge.  When it comes to people, true knowledge is based on their actions as well, and there are many ways to act and react to situations.  It helps if a person has rules, but in this Age, that may be asking too much.  Even bible believing people miss steps, and the words of a prophet are always open to interpretation.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this