-_sometimes

Books or guides on stretching?

On 12/29/2019 at 4:58 PM, Taomeow said:

@Walker Thank you.  We're on the same 4 out of 5 pages here. :)  

The other day I think I figured out the secret to the remaining 5th page!

Knowing when/how to open and when/how to close it might, in the absence of live hands-on corrections, at least begin with understanding that the rounded lower back and tucked tailbone open the mingmen, qi gets going for movement -- and if you let it keep going when you're not moving, it simply leaks out.  You want to open it for movement, close it to settle.  To close it you straighten out the lower back and turn the tailbone slightly out.  Closed = qi can circulate inside without leakage.  This is also the "defense" position in every move in MA -- but not the "offense" position, for which you need to open the mingmen.  If you're stuck in the "defense" position, you are too yin and can't move fast enough or efficiently enough, and your skill will basically suck.  If you're stuck in the "offense" position, you are too yang, can't settle and restore and conserve, have no stability and your skill will basically suck.  

I think we may seem to have "disagreed" because we were both using the word open to refer to two different Chinese words that can both translate as open. 

I was writing about "通/tong," which also can connote "connect(ed)," "unobstructed," "deobstruct(ed)," "deobstruent," "linked," and plenty of other English words. In this context (and many others) in medicine and yangsheng arts, I meant basically "really healthy," i.e., a mingmen region that is as flexible as it should be, with proper qi-blood nourishment and flow.

I think you were writing about "開/kai" from the duo of “開合/kai-he," often translated as "opening and closing." In the realm of martial arts usage of this part of the body, everything you said makes sense, and indeed it would be bad to sit with one's back "open" for exactly the reasons you detailed. On the other hand, having a back that is open in the sense of 通/tong is, I am pretty certain most of us would agree, always a good thing. 

How does this relate to the full lotus?  You want to close the mingmen.  You want stability, a settled, balanced body that is in the best position for immobility, a physiologically sound one.  Immobility in a geared-for-action position is not only harmful for the body but keeps sending conflicting messages to the subconscious mind and can, indeed, drive it crazy.  It's like applying the brakes and the gas pedal simultaneously -- to your deeper consciousness and your qi, no less.  

Again, this statement makes perfect sense from the standpoint of 開合/kai-he. Having a closed (合/he), settled lower back is definitely more conducive to good stillness practice than an open (開/kai) one. 

What I think is really interesting about this is that, if a practitioner's mingmen region is not yet 通/tong, then is this person forces him/herself into the full-lotus posture, s/he may inevitably cheat by 開/kai'ing the lumbar. In this way, although these two concepts are quite different, we can see how they overlap.

• Thanks 1

The more I train the more I am aware of how important the groin area is. It is a very energy rich zone, and today due to sedentary lifestyle it easily becomes tight and shortened, which also results in poor movements and posture.

Maybe we can all share exercises to target this area. The bests I know are the butterfly pose and the deep down lunge.

Edit: it is very important to stretch the psoas too. But after all, all the body is important, and all the body should be flexible

Edited by Toni
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Walker said:

The other day I think I figured out the secret to the remaining 5th page!

Yup!  That's exactly it.  Whew!  :D  "通/tong you were talking about is a prerequisite for  開合/kai-he I was talking about.  

That "gate" picture in 開 is like the entrance to a saloon in old cowboy movies, swinging open when the hero enters, swinging closed behind his back as he takes his unmovable stance against the scoundrel. 

Then they go outside for the shooting showdown, the 開 swings open, swings closed, they stand facing each other, not moving, then all of a sudden there's lightning fast movement and the survivor rides off into the sunset.  

• Haha 1

Doing the butterfly pose with a cushion under ur feet is very effective, as the lone mai pai guy says

If op hasn't already settled on a routine, I can strongly recommend this:

This is pretty much the perfect daily exercise for the time poor. It will bring excellent mobility of the spine, which is crucial in physical and energetic good health. It will also give you an excellent cardio workout, total body flexibility and a moving meditation. There's even a bit of full lotus to build up to at the end. 

David Swenson is a fantastic teacher. One of the old school yoga seekers from the 80s still with us. Hope it works out for you. 

• Thanks 1

fluidity of and within bone... intrinsic motion.

breathing flow through the entirety of our 'structure'... aquatic breathing... i find this utterly mesmerizing.

spine in fluid origin...  bone is filled with fluid, it is connective tissue.

Edited by silent thunder
  • Like 2