Sign in to follow this  
Mskied

An end to the intellect?

Hi Im wondering if there is anyone familiar with a system that is meant to be advanced where the adept no longer thinks.  Ive been initiated into the Kabbalah and Ive experienced advanced Kundalini and fought the serpent to attain wisdom, but the serpent fights back, and now I am forced not to move my mind lest it keep devouring.  I was given over to Thelema, and I know that Therion wanted an end to reason, and I wonder if there are some other systems I could explore that does not want the adept to access their mind.  Ive fortunately finished my studies and no longer seek knowledge, but Im also kept from an interest in writing or broadening my information base, and have to practice a mental stillness, which is quite boring and not at all the promised land of liberty and creativity.  Thanks in advance 

On 12/22/2017 at 2:18 PM, thelerner said:

There are some excellent guided meditations around.

.. I present Barry Long, a mystic, perhaps best known as a major influence behind Eckhardt Tolle.   Long has a soothing voice, with straight forward methods of removing thoughts.  This meditation is from a youtube video Start Meditating Now by Barry Long, originally 36.51 minutes, after listening once or twice, feel free to fast forward to 6:24 minutes (or 10:24) depending on how much pre-instruction you want.   You can listen at your computer or transfer it to an MP3 player to listen to in bed or during meditation. 

I encourage people to give this a try.  This is a great experiential meditation, with imo important lessons.  Like many mystics, Long sees thoughts as addictions, once we get away from habitual 'junk' thoughts, we get more instep with reality.    Generally a good thing.

Meditation_guided_Barry_Long_1.mp3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iB_S4jLJ3KI&list=PLmOtSswGcXa4bmB2BiYbZMsO0CM9w_OsY

Not thinking is a hard nut to crack.  Some people can operate out of there subconscious/unconscious and do superbly.  Others can't.  If you can make good decisions without having to go into 'move your lips as you read' mode of thinking, go for it, that's great, the essence of 'flow'.  If you find you're making bad decisions in 'no word/thoughtless mode' then its not for you.   Its important to judge honestly. 

Ive been fortunate, and unfortunate, in that I have been able to keep my mind clean, except that I have listened to nearly 4 decades of music, as much as I can, and have contemplated their lyrics and rhythm to seek truth.  I didn't read much as an adult, and learned only minimal things in school.  Mostly a free spirit, I have been allowed to spend my time musing about the invisible nature of force and the impetus to love and be kind.  I naturally fell into the sphere of Chesed early.  I guess I took for granted that I had a clean mind, and was able to do pretty much whatever I chose as I chose to do things- not very inhibited but not completely lawless.  I was handed over to Thelema after initiation into Kabbalah (much to my dismay) and have spent 20 years fighting for sanity.  

I recognize that there is the LHP and the RHP- it is the easiest and most convenient analogy for working with Law and Will.  The left is lawless- total lawless and willful beings.  The right is the lawful and willed, and for that, you have every reason imaginable to proclaim your truth and attain your Will.  It depends what you believe is Good.  Go to the far right, and you find certain religious Truth, and the laws and rules of the prophets from those places.  

The key is to know your law, and to know what you will allow, and to know those that disagree with your law or work in ways that you would think is lawless.  The Jewish faith warns about this very well, especially Christianity.  There is symbolism, and the forms of religious and philosophical truth that comes from the real truth behind the symbol, and its been my duty to sort through the history of these things to assert my truth, in the hopes of aiding the world.  Hard task.

Im sure most serious students are aware that spiritual discipline is a life choice, and its not easily handled when we have to do other things in life.  It is however rewarding.  It requires great diligence to know, and to know not, and to know of others and to know your own- and to know how to defend against the others, and how to eloquently communicate and interact with people of opposing views.  In our age, this is a monumental task.  I began life just wanting to run, and now I am being forced to sit still.  I am looking forward to the future to see what new journey is ahead.

Im realizing why I am in this state.  I broke down my ego/soul/history to the point of knowing my reasons for being, and my choices and the results of them, recognizing my own folly and success.  In this process I realized that we all lead from these places.  I guess this is what you call "death of the ego", for I stopped forcing my Will onto the world, and started to let the world force its Will onto me.  In this state, I become very tolerant of all activity, but I choose not to stay here, because I have no power.  In order to mold reality to what I desire, I must return to Ego.  Im not sure this non-ego is sustainable in a modern context, but it helps alleviate some of the distress of personal want.  Ive defined it as this:  detachment from desire takes away its power, but I have to move back into desire again, for sitting in quiet is not desirable, except this time I am free from want, so whatever comes from my efforts is bounty.

I can sit and allow others to propose to me their Will, and I can allow it to be what it is, and tolerate all ignorance, or I can reassert my own knowledge and move the Will presented in the direction of my choosing.  Either way, I am free now, so what comes, comes.  I guess I am at some desired state.  Personally... well, its better than fighting demons I guess.

Sign in to follow this