Lataif

What happens . . . if Chi is directed into the 3rd eye (?)

Recommended Posts

Please:

 

(1) For some reason . . . I seem not to have already come across any discussion of this

obvious topic.  

 

(2) And when I experiment with it even a little bit . . . it gets very intense very quick.

 

(3) In fact, it's the most intense energetic experience that I can generate intentionally.

 

(4) So what do people here say about it (?)

 

(5) Is there some known practice for directing Chi into the 3rd eye . . . and what does it

propose to do (?)

 

Thanks again . . .    

      

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1) Because in general it’s dangerous and counter productive. You can cause yourself a lot of harm doing this. I’ve met several people that have done this and literally ruined their life.

 

2) yes it can

 

3) hyperventilating will also create intense experience

 

4) Don’t do it :)

 

5) Yes - in the intermediate and later stages of development. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, freeform said:

1) Because in general it’s dangerous and counter productive. You can cause yourself a lot of harm doing this. I’ve met several people that have done this and literally ruined their life.

 

2) yes it can

 

3) hyperventilating will also create intense experience

 

4) Don’t do it :)

 

5) Yes - in the intermediate and later stages of development. 

 

Net content of this comment:   zero.

 

Thanks for nothing.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@ freeform

 

In the Qigong interpretation of the Tao Te Ching by Yang, Jwing-Ming he often refers to opening the Third Eye as an advanced (and important) technique. What are the dangers?

 

Edited by wandelaar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Lataif said:

 

Thanks for nothing.

 

If only I could offer you real ’nothing’ - might be quite enlightening! :)

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, wandelaar said:

@ freeform

 

In the Qigong interpretation of the Tao Te Ching by Yang, Jwing-Ming he often refers to opening the Third Eye as an advanced (and important) technique. What are the dangers?

 

 

Yeah - the key is ‘advanced’.

 

The way these arts work is that each level is built on the previous one.

 

It’s not that the technique itself is advanced, it’s that the technique is only used at a much later stage.

 

It’s like learning a language - poetry might be an advanced manifestation of language - but you need to know what the words mean and how they go together before poetry is of any use. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, wandelaar said:

Thank you - but what sorts of dangerous things could happen when done prematurely?

 

Well a number of things.

 

I can share the experience of a lady I know who did this for 6 months. Bear in mind that she thought she was doing the right thing, and that she was quite a dedicated practitioner, training a number of hours a day. Most people who do this once a week in a class or whatever won’t have any issues (nor any benefits, mind).

 

Basically this lady was trying to ‘open her third eye’ at the recommendation of a yoga teacher. After several months she started to develop headaches and her idiot teacher told her that it’s a good sign and it indicates that her third eye is about to open, so she doubled her efforts.

 

She told me that she didn’t notice the transition herself, but basically at first she became manic (if you’ve met a bipolar person during a manic episode you know what I mean).

 

Then she started to lose the ability to string sentences together. Her headaches got worse. She stopped being able to drive. She lost her job as a school teacher. She’s a single mum and having lost her source of income she couldn’t pay for a flat.

 

She and her daughter had to live in a hostel for months (with all kinds of alcoholics and drug addicts). It took her over a year to get back to relative normality.

 

Thats the reason I say don’t do it :)

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The short answer of what happens if qi is directed to the third eye area is that the third eye area becomes more energetic, and thus one becomes more perceptive of the energetic. 

 

The more complicated answer of what will happen to any one given individual is more difficult to answer. It varies greatly depending on where the individual is at based upon where other energetic centers are at in that person. The results can range from detrimental to a simple increase in perception. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In my experience, noting or objectifying Mental States , such as sadness, fear, anger, confusion, blankness, dullness, joy, excitement, etc... this seems to bring or focus the energy to the upper dan tien, ... even watching thoughts as not your own does this  For me its led to some really liberated states, more spacious mind, cause im disembedding and dis-identifying with all the states of mind. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, King Jade said:

Are you guys talking about the eyebrow or the niwan?

Is niwan dangerous too?

 

I was talking about the niwan. 

 

It’s dangerous only if you’re not ready for it and don’t know what you’re doing. 

 

In some legitimate systems you do work at that level early on in the training - but again this is under supervision of a very good teacher, with all the corrections, transmissions and empowerments to help with creating the right conditions. Even then I’ve known many errors caused by this sort of practice.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/16/2018 at 9:31 AM, freeform said:

1) Because in general it’s dangerous and counter productive. You can cause yourself a lot of harm doing this. I’ve met several people that have done this and literally ruined their life.

..

 

4) Don’t do it :)

 

5) Yes - in the intermediate and later stages of development. 

With this in mind, while most of my meditation is just sitting, one part (in 4) is breathing in through my 3rd eye area, into the center brain(ish) area then guiding it down slowly to my lower dantien,  keeping my mind on the dantien throughout a slow out breath, then repeat.  Afterwards I return to just sitting. 

I don't get anything intense from it, other then I feel a bit more internal heat, ie my hands get surprisingly hot when I rub them together and the mid 60's feels a bit warm. 

 

Any thoughts, or the same thoughts, that its counter productive? 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, freeform said:

It’s dangerous only if you’re not ready for it and don’t know what you’re doing. 

 

In some legitimate systems you do work at that level early on in the training - but again this is under supervision of a very good teacher, with all the corrections, transmissions and empowerments to help with creating the right conditions. Even then I’ve known many errors caused by this sort of practice.

 

 how else are you going to learn about health if not by totally fucking up your own body? and how are you going to teach if you don't get burned a little bit pfffff,  like seriously bro -_-

 

just kidding 

 

I think it's okay in the first few minutes of meditation tho when first relaxing everything? turning the light around, condensing shen or something like that...

 

 

Edited by King Jade
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/15/2018 at 9:02 PM, Lataif said:

(2) And when I experiment with it even a little bit . . . it gets very intense very quick.

 

(3) In fact, it's the most intense energetic experience that I can generate intentionally.

 

Thanks again . . .    

      

 

What kind of energetic experience is it? Can you describe what happens with you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, thelerner said:

breathing in through my 3rd eye area, into the center brain(ish) area then guiding it down slowly to my lower dantien,  keeping my mind on the dantien throughout a slow out breath, then repeat.

 

Any thoughts, or the same thoughts, that its counter productive? 

 

 

It sounds like it’s part of a specific practice. How long do you do it for?

 

It could be a useful, legitimate practice, but If it’s a modern qigong or meditation set (particularly from healing tao) I would advise caution. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, King Jade said:

I think it's okay in the first few minutes of meditation tho when first relaxing everything? turning the light around, condensing shen or something like that...

 

Turning the light around is a very specific practice, so wouldn’t like to comment on that.

 

Often - this moving of awareness from the head down  to the lower Dan tien is an adapted and over simplified instruction on how to sink the Qi (possibly the intention behind thelearner’s practice).

 

The thing is, to sink the Qi is actually quite a subtle, difficult process, because any mental action lifts the Qi. So as soon as you guide, focus, observe, move etc. the Qi goes up. The correct way of doing it is by using Song (release) and Ting (listening).

 

Sinking the Qi is a bit like getting a frightened deer to eat from your hand. It’s hard and you can’t force it in any way at all. You just have to set up the conditions for it to happen and then allow it to happen of its own accord (wei wu wei) But just like with the deer, once you sink (or feed) it a few times, the deer knows what to do, and will do it easier with each repetition.

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Salaam and peace be with you my spirit friends. I'm new here so go easy on me haha.

 

I come from a sufi cultivation background and would like to mention something we call rabita (spiritual connection to spirit world's. 

 

Every person has different experiences due to our links or connections to the spirit side, therefore all experiences maybe similar or completely different.

 

I don't want to discuss techniques or anything, but want to kind of open a door to the other side, every person may have a different experience of this physical world even if we travel to the same country or maybe to the same place to get food etc, our experiences will be different.

 

All spirit tracks will lead somewhere all taverns within spirit world's are full with beings and humans gathered for different reasons with different life purposes, many masters gather from different backgrounds, religions, spiritual ways, wanderers, those in love with the divine, people with masters or no masters.

 

When we open that spiritual doorway it all changes. So I ask you through yourself my brother lataif what's your purpose in opening this door, what's your story and who do you want to become.

 

We are all unique in our own ways.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/15/2018 at 8:02 PM, Lataif said:

Please:

 

(1) For some reason . . . I seem not to have already come across any discussion of this

obvious topic.  

 

(2) And when I experiment with it even a little bit . . . it gets very intense very quick.

 

(3) In fact, it's the most intense energetic experience that I can generate intentionally.

 

(4) So what do people here say about it (?)

 

(5) Is there some known practice for directing Chi into the 3rd eye . . . and what does it

propose to do (?)

 

Thanks again . . .    

      

If you know how to raise the Qi to the upper dan tien, make sure you know how to drop your Qi to your Lower dan tien. In the system I practice, raising the Qi to the upper dan tien is an advanced practice that one does in small sessions. Always after any practice, you should sink the qi to the LDT.  

 

It is better to cultivate opening of the heart (MDT) before proceeding to the UDT, imho. And always, sink the Qi down to the LDT when closing any practice session. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, freeform said:

 

It sounds like it’s part of a specific practice. How long do you do it for?

 

It could be a useful, legitimate practice, but If it’s a modern qigong or meditation set (particularly from healing tao) I would advise caution. 

 

Not too long, maybe 7 to 10 minutes.  For a couple years I'd given up energetics and just sat.  I've added that bit of energetics in the middle, I guess its inspired by my interpretation of the Golden Flower meditation.  It's followed by silent breathing, then letting that go.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, thelerner said:

Not too long, maybe 7 to 10 minutes.  For a couple years I'd given up energetics and just sat.  I've added that bit of energetics in the middle, I guess its inspired by my interpretation of the Golden Flower meditation.  It's followed by silent breathing, then letting that go.

 

I don’t think you’re causing yourself any harm doing that. Whether it’s of any benefit, I’m not sure. 

 

I can highly recommend sinking the Qi though. It’s a very useful skill for anyone - but especially meditators.

 

If you manage to sink the Qi and let it anchor to you Dan tien it makes meditation far easier and more productive. Your mind gets naturally quiet, the emotions are stilled. At a certain stage extra Qi is generated.

 

Once you can sink on command you basically become a badass B) This is when you can be completely unperturbed by external circumstances and remain calm and centred under pressure.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From a neurological perspective, this is the act of consciously triggering tactile sensations between the eyebrows and causing subtle muscle tensions in the area that are used as a meditation object. 

 

Basically, you're stimulating an area of your brain that has nothing to do with visions and eyes. 

 

To open the third eye is not as easy as concentrating on a body part... the process requires the exercise of visualization and memory to stimulate the proper areas of the brain. The so-called feeling of internal energies is totally irrelevant in third eye development. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Wytfang said:

So I ask you through yourself my brother lataif what's your purpose in opening this door, what's your story and who do you want to become.

This is a very good question my friend.  "What do we want? What are we looking for"? 

 

To comment on the original question in this post: As far as energy flowing,  from my experience it happens naturally, when the time is ripe. No forcing, no expectations.  Actually in my experience, and others can have there own experience, the energy is kind of stored or collected from the center or Hara/Dantain, and after a while, it will start to flow into the sternum, heart, up the neck and into the top of the head on its own. just watch it. nothing special.  Won't be the cure all of ones life, but it is just another journey down the unknown road.  good luck

Edited by Zen Pig
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites