rideforever

Location of Heaven and Earth When Horizontal

If you meditate whilst in bed horizontal, where do you look for Heaven & Earth ?
Horizontally above your head and below your feet ?
Or vertically ?

• Like 1

This is an interesting question!

If I am visualizing with eyes closed then the physical orientation of my body doesn't play a factor. Heaven is "up", whatever that means in my visualization. But if I am trying to clear my mind of thoughts then heaven is skyward. Assuming I'm lying on by back that means the direction I am facing.

We are exactly between heaven and earth. The center of the compass, let all images go, Lying, sitting, standing, moving, stillness so are the changes 

Still one minute active the next that is craziness what makes it so?. The changes eternal, up and down, in and out, this way and that way. In the center of the compass action is perfected, stillness is perfected and all is well.

Where there is motion, that motion proceeds from immobility; where there is action, that action proceeds from inactivity. Where there is inactivity, the spirit reverts to its original; and when the spirit thus reverts, all things become still. Where there is no motion, the vital force becomes extinct; and the vital force being extinct, all things are produced, all spirits maintain each other; all objects depend upon or help each other, causing the rudiment of all things to revert to its primary source.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rideforever said:

If you meditate whilst in bed horizontal, where do you look for Heaven & Earth ?
Or vertically ?

Until we can get to a point where there is not even any separation in our thought and practice and living between heaven, earth and man... here is how I tended to view it when I was doing Qigong and Medical Qigoing, regardless of position:

My Crown was heaven and my root was earth.   I never separated that to 'where is heaven and earth'.  That may be a good first step to non-separation to try.    In Medical Qigong, we would then use the Taiji Pole (think a central connector from crown to root) and we would see heaven washing down with earth in an inner ripple washing up... then we'd let there be no separation between the two ripples and when they mixed it spreads through the body and out every inch of your skin back to a combined source.   So a few steps can be tried to get to more non-separation ideas.   My current practices would likely have a different perspective but seems best to just share Qigong ideas for this thread. 

Nice question.  Never seen it raised.

• Like 1

Working conclusion is that you prioritise the body's H & E access, to not do that would make a big mess.
But if you are aligned with the vertical then you have the Earth's H & E additionally.
The practice might have to be altered in the different positions.
When horizontal it might be more personal internal, and also disconnecting you from the ordinary orientation might encourage you to actually feel it, rather than riding on the wave of the planets energy.

If consider triad in  human body, then heaven is a head, earth are legs, and man is a body between these to.

Best regards,

Kara

On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 2:08 PM, rideforever said:

Or vertically ?

Even if I change position I don't think they changed theirs, so I don't look for them because they haven't deviated from where I should expect them to be. In general, I think the spatial dynamics are much more complex than linear points of reference. 

On 8/26/2018 at 8:08 PM, rideforever said:

Could you please tell me what do you mean to look for Heaven & Earth? Is this related to visualization?

On 8/27/2018 at 3:36 AM, dawei said:

My Crown was heaven and my root was earth.   I never separated that to 'where is heaven and earth'.  That may be a good first step to non-separation to try.    In Medical Qigong, we would then use the Taiji Pole (think a central connector from crown to root) and we would see heaven washing down with earth in an inner ripple washing up...

Off topic:

Are you talking about a Central Channel connecting Baihui and Huiyin? I think I remember reading a thread here where the consensus was that this channel is not one of the Qi Jing Ba Mai?

On 9/14/2018 at 9:04 PM, Kara_mia said:

If consider triad in  human body, then heaven is a head, earth are legs, and man is a body between these to.

Best regards,

Kara

Yes, I've learned this in Kung Fu theory. There's also Heaven, Earth, Man in CCM.