Sign in to follow this  
thelerner

Happy Fourth of July

34 minutes ago, Apech said:

You are a stubborn cat. That wiki article is titled Americas, with an s. America is sans s.
Across the pond, in The United Kingdom of Great Britain, there is a bit of a tweeter, a Lord Mayor & First Citizen Magid Magid who has banned Trump from his city, Sheffield.
I can see how you're confused. Ya'll like big long names and titles. That kingdom word is hideous and doesn't make sense-- you have a Queen. America is America; we do not require Great or any other superfluous words, we don't need the s you tried to sneak in on us. America.
Lord Mayor & First Citizen Magid Magid, who needs his name in duplicate is missing out by avoiding Trump. Back to the main point, it isn't Great United America or Americas. I hope this clears that up for ya; America. We don't have a Trump Trump, we have Trump.

Edited by zerostao
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, zerostao said:

You are a stubborn cat. That wiki article is titled Americas, with an s. America is sans s.
Across the pond, in The United Kingdom of Great Britain, there is a bit of a tweeter, a Lord Mayor & First Citizen Magid Magid who has banned Trump from his city, Sheffield.
I can see how you're confused. Ya'll like big long names and titles. That kingdom word is hideous and doesn't make sense-- you have a Queen. America is America; we do not require Great or any other superfluous words, we don't need the s you tried to sneak in on us. America.
Lord Mayor & First Citizen Magid Magid, who needs his name in duplicate is missing out by avoiding Trump. Back to the main point, it isn't Great United America or Americas. I hope this clears that up for ya; America. We don't have a Trump Trump, we have Trump.

No if you read the Wiki first paragraph it says 'Americas or America' - it all depends if you distinguish North from South or not.

The Great in Great Britain does not come from the idea that we think we are great (as in Make America Great Again) but simply from the geographical fact that the island is larger than Brittany in France - as both were originally the home of the Celtic tribe of Britons - so Brittany = Land of the Britons and Great Britain = Larger Land of the Britons.  That's it - no other reason.

I have no idea who Magid Magid is.  And although I have been to Sheffield and have brother who lives there I don't know why he calls himself 'Lord Mayor and First Citizen' but I agree it sounds ridiculous.  But then I think Donald should call himself Trump Trump it has a kind of ring about it.  Rather like Humbert Humbert in the Nabokov classic Lolita.  Sheffield is ok but a bit of dump to be honest so he's not missing much.

I don't agree with this ban Trump business as, no matter what you think of him, he is the President and leader of the free world, and he made a bit of fool out of Macron over Iran so its all good as far as I'me concerned.  I imagine all the Guardian readers will be marching against Trump when he comes - but see that there is also a support counter demonstration which pleasing. 

• Like 1

It is the America continent.  Then we have the sub-divisions:  South, Central, North.  Then we have political (national) sub-divisions.  One of them is The United States of America which is the land and coastline between Canada and Mexico.

And so the USA just celebrated another anniversary of its independence from external control.

Ain't we great?

We even have some attachments:  Hawaii, Alaska, and Puerto Rico.

Too bad about Puerto Rico though.  Not yet one of the great states.  Their corrupt politicians keep preventing it from happening.

33 minutes ago, Marblehead said:

It is the America continent.  Then we have the sub-divisions:  South, Central, North.  Then we have political (national) sub-divisions.  One of them is The United States of America which is the land and coastline between Canada and Mexico.

And so the USA just celebrated another anniversary of its independence from external control.

Ain't we great?

Too bad about Puerto Rico though.  Not yet one of the great states.  Their corrupt politicians keep preventing it from happening.

• Like 1

Yeah, they all are American citizens.  Over the past few years there have been more coming to the states mostly to get away from the corruption at home.

And actually a lot of Haitians recently as well.  Met one the other day while shopping.  We got into a casual discussion  about something he was buying and as we talked I tried to define his origin because he wasn't a natural born Black American.

He finally told me he was from Haiti.  I would have guessed Jamaican because he had a Jamaican accent.  Turns out his family migrated to Paris and then he came to the USA.  He explained that the reason he sounded like having a Jamaican accent is because almost all his friends are Jamaican and he is just through talking with them he is beginning to sound like them.

2 hours ago, Apech said:

No if you read the Wiki first paragraph it says 'Americas or America' - it all depends if you distinguish North from South or not.

"North America" is a continent, and not the name of the nation. South America, too. Sometimes these are considered subcontinents of the Americas.

The United States "of America" implies both the continent as well as the country, America.

No other country on Earth has "America" in its title.

On the other hand, if you're in "South America" you're not called an "American"...unless you're just purposefully being wrong. Some people who hate the US do that.

Since we're referencing Wikipedia, check out how the US is also called simply "America". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States

If you want historical context, check out what the second President of the US called the nation: https://www.bartleby.com/124/pres15.html Was he just confused?

Think about this: do we call US citizens "United Statesians"? Or "Americans"?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Marblehead said:

Ain't we great?

Besides Puerto Rico, there are also a bunch of other Carribean and Pacific islands currently under the dominion of the Donald.

Been to Guam once. Lovely beachside!

• Like 1

I had  stop-over on Hawaii once and one on Japan.  That's the best the Army could do for me as far as the Pacific Islands go.

Yes, the USA has protectorate responsibilities many places on the planet.  Not many are offered the privilege of becoming a state though if the people so desire.

36 minutes ago, Aetherous said:

"North America" is a continent, and not the name of the nation. South America, too. Sometimes these are considered subcontinents of the Americas.

The United States "of America" implies both the continent as well as the country, America.

On the other hand, if you're in "South America" you're not called an "American"...unless you're just purposefully being wrong. Some people who hate the US do that.

Since we're referencing Wikipedia, check out how the US is also called simply "America". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States

If you want historical context, check out what the second President of the US called the nation: https://www.bartleby.com/124/pres15.html Was he just confused?

If you are from one of the South American countries, you may be called a South American.

Simple enough, huh?

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Michael Sternbach said:

If you are from one of the South American countries, you may be called a South American.

Simple enough, huh?

They could be, but I think they tend to be called by the name of their country: Brazilian, etc.

1 hour ago, Aetherous said:

Triggered!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Michael Sternbach said:

Either way works, though.

Does it?

1 minute ago, Apech said:

Triggered!

Since you brought it up; when you were fighting Nazis on your own who was it you wanted to come to help out? Argentinians or Argentines? Columbians? Brazilians? Uruguayans? Canadians? Those mentioned are fine and all and have excellent soccer ball teams. Maybe Canadians are soccer ball challenged, and their Mounties are top notch, but there are so few of them. You wanted the guys that maybe ain't so great at soccer ball, eh? You wanted Americans to show up, and we did, eventually and handled bizness. The American Army toured Europe in those dark days and Americans rebuilt Europe after. I understand that some things have changed now like our automobiles look like they could've come from anywhere, Europe, Asia, Mexico. It's not quite the same as the ones that were built in Detroit and going down memory lane can lead to mild cases of nostalgia. If god forbid, you find yourself under darkening clouds, and it looks like you're in a for a tough go of it. And you can choose ONE ally to come help handle bizness. You want America, right?

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, zerostao said:

Does it?

Since you brought it up; when you were fighting Nazis on your own who was it you wanted to come to help out? Argentinians or Argentines? Columbians? Brazilians? Uruguayans? Canadians? Those mentioned are fine and all and have excellent soccer ball teams. Maybe Canadians are soccer ball challenged, and their Mounties are top notch, but there are so few of them. You wanted the guys that maybe ain't so great at soccer ball, eh? You wanted Americans to show up, and we did, eventually and handled bizness. The American Army toured Europe in those dark days and Americans rebuilt Europe after. I understand that some things have changed now like our automobiles look like they could've come from anywhere, Europe, Asia, Mexico. It's not quite the same as the ones that were built in Detroit and going down memory lane can lead to mild cases of nostalgia. If god forbid, you find yourself under darkening clouds, and it looks like you're in a for a tough go of it. And you can choose ONE ally to come help handle bizness. You want America, right?

What's soccer?

Of course I want America - who else :)

including Canada of course

http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/remembrance/history/historical-sheets/material

Edited by Apech
  • Like 2

On 7/4/2018 at 1:25 PM, Apech said:

36666146_663418124050416_5243123760868884480_n.jpg.376e6a0d84cb11f1817ca36c7de3a12f.jpgGive us the colonies back!

Please take us back!

We are *soooo* sorry!

You were right: we weren't ready!

... we'll pay for the tea!

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Michael Sternbach said:

In German anyway, absolutely yes.

Interesting that "South American", as it seems, isn't a commonly used term in North America, though. ;)

1 hour ago, Apech said:

What's soccer?

Of course I want America - who else :)

including Canada of course

http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/remembrance/history/historical-sheets/material

That's an interesting piece on Canadian production, thanks for sharing. There was a movie released on my Dad's birthday in 1968, and the family went to the drive-in and watched The Devil's Brigade a film about Canadian special forces and American convicts forming a joint American-Canadian commando unit. I'm working from childhood memory here, but it seemed those Canadians were troublemakers causing all sorts of friction with the Americans during training. The Brits had Admiral Lord Mountbatten, and the Americans had Mark Clark. Spoiler alert if you haven't seen and wanted to watch do not open the spoiler.

Spoiler

When the Canadian Seargent Peacock fell, it tugged my emotions.

Those red berets looked magnificent on the big screen, and I told myself then, one day I would wear a military beret which I eventually did ten years later, it never really sat right on my head and every day was a bad hair day, but the things we do for country sometimes. When the pipes played Scotland the Brave, it made an impression too. Imagery and symbols and 1968. It even had a redneck from Kentucky in it, Paul Hornung, who typically started a barroom brawl. Go figure.
I think the film had some success in The United Kingdom of Great Britain too.

Nothing wrong with some occasional mild nostalgia.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Michael Sternbach said:

Interesting that "South American", as it seems, isn't a commonly used term in North America, though. ;)

That's right.

On 7/6/2018 at 1:08 PM, Apech said:

What's soccer?

The sport this guy is fond of, not darts, the other one.

Spoiler

capp.jpg

Edited by zerostao
may have been copywrite photo

On 7/6/2018 at 4:36 AM, Apech said:

The Great in Great Britain does not come from the idea that we think we are great (as in Make America Great Again) but simply from the geographical fact that the island is larger than Brittany in France - as both were originally the home of the Celtic tribe of Britons - so Brittany = Land of the Britons and Great Britain = Larger Land of the Britons.  That's it - no other reason.

Make America Greater Again.  It`s been so long since we`ve conquered any new territory; there`s some pacific islands I`d like.

• Like 1

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jul/05/facebook-declaration-of-independence-hate-speech

In the run-up to the Fourth of July, the Liberty Country Vindicator, a small local newspaper in Texas, posted sections of the declaration of the independence to its Facebook page, in a bid to encourage discussion of US history among its readership.

What must have seemed like a benign social media strategy managed to fall foul of Facebook’s algorithmic censors, which labeled sections of the declaration hate speech and removed the posts.

Facebook alerted the Vindicator to let them know that the section of the declaration that includes a reference to “merciless Indian savages” was a violation of their community standards.

1 hour ago, Chang said:

Still reading the Guardian I see Apech. I suppose it keeps you off the streets.

Its free online - the Times, Telegraph have pay walls.

Sign in to follow this