Phoenix3

What else is there to do, after being able to meditate on emptiness?

15 hours ago, windwalker said:

I don't quite understand the logic of asking about something that one has not yet achieved.

The question it self an indicator of level.  Seems like reaching a true level the perspective from that level would be quite different negating the question itself

I can see your point on one hand, but on the other, it helps to know that being able to achieve a superlative stillness is a prerequisite and safety mechanism for all the other "stronger" stuff.  (but not really stronger per se, just, yang, instead of yin.)

On 7/9/2018 at 8:21 PM, windwalker said:

:mellow:

Hi windwalker,

Why are you mellow (:mellow:)?

- LimA

Edited by Limahong
Enhance ...

On 7/8/2018 at 5:55 PM, Marblehead said:

I must always look at things from my perspective in real life.

Hi Dada-da,

Per "The Great Cave Rescue" in Thailand - is there a happy ending from your perspective?

- LimA

2 hours ago, Limahong said:

Hi Dada-da,

Per "The Great Cave Rescue" in Thailand - is there a happy ending from your perspective?

- LimA

Yes, there are many happy endings to that ordeal depending on how it is looked at.

A couple sad endings too.

If you are able to meditate *on* emptiness , it is not empty space. If you are *able* to meditate, that is not YOU.

Edited by Arramu

12 hours ago, Arramu said:

If you are able to meditate *on* emptiness , it is not empty space. If you are *able* to meditate, that is not YOU.

That goes deeper than just the words.  "Mediate on" implies action, Yang.  Indeed, emptiness is the absence of things (thoughts).

But there are some forms of meditation that require action.  These are not emptiness meditation.

I won't speak to the "you" and "I" concepts here.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Marblehead said:

Indeed, emptiness is the absence of things (thoughts).

In my experience the body is a giganic fing space. Energy fills it. Postnatal, prenatal fill up the space but very little. It's just so much space for it. To me when someone sees no thoughts they are merely focusing on some coordinates deeper than usual. Usually on the same 'altitude' as usual. Because darkness becomes 'solid' as it is relatively 'not You'. 

So yes, in my experience it is not do or not. You are always doing. You are here alive animating this malkuth no? The most one can do is stop looking so far out. As you reach the depth of that spaces deepness you find there is nobody.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Arramu said:

In my experience the body is a giganic fing space. Energy fills it. Postnatal, prenatal fill up the space but very little. It's just so much space for it. To me when someone sees no thoughts they are merely focusing on some coordinates deeper than usual. Usually on the same 'altitude' as usual. Because darkness becomes 'solid' as it is relatively 'not You'. 

So yes, in my experience it is not do or not. You are always doing. You are here alive animating this malkuth no? The most one can do is stop looking so far out. As you reach the depth of that spaces deepness you find there is nobody.

I can see the Buddhist influences in what you say.  Not a problem for me as I can distinguish it.

Yes, it is impossible to define emptiness except to say that there is nothing there.

And yes, as long as we are alive there is going to be energy flowing all over the place.  I have never considered any need to stop or alter this energy.

I have never experienced "not me" but I have experienced being a part of the total environment I was able to observe.  That was my first what I call Taoist experience.

Just now, Marblehead said:

I can see the Buddhist influences in what you say

Feel free to dwell on it, as I don't adhere to any tradition specifically in my practices :) and I'm also heavily uneducated in suttras and all the fine wines

2 minutes ago, Marblehead said:

it is impossible to define emptiness except to say that there is nothing there.

What if you say it is the space itself? Is that not innately and truly empty? Hope I'm not cheeky :D here

3 minutes ago, Marblehead said:

I have never experienced "not me" but I have experienced being a part of the total environment I was able to observe. 

You are reffering to what I said right? I didn't say not me, I simply said no body as we know it and nobody/noself as we know it. But the fundamental you is still there. It is the source of inteliggence. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Arramu said:

Feel free to dwell on it, as I don't adhere to any tradition specifically in my practices :) and I'm also heavily uneducated in suttras and all the fine wines

Well, I felt I should speak to it as this thread is in the "Daoist Discussions" sub-forum.  There is now no further need to speak to it.

What if you say it is the space itself? Is that not innately and truly empty? Hope I'm not cheeky :D here

Oh, you go ahead and get cheeky with me if you wish.  I do it to others often.

But hen I have expressed the thought that space is not empty so that wouldn't work for me.

When I speak of empty minded meditation I'm not suggesting that there is actual emptiness.  It is rather that nothing that is happening with my body or brain is concentrated on intentionally. 

You are reffering to what I said right? I didn't say not me, I simply said no body as we know it and nobody/noself as we know it. But the fundamental you is still there. It is the source of inteliggence. 

Okay.  You cleared that up very nicely.  I don't want you thinking that I'm really not here.

• Like 1

On 7/13/2018 at 5:22 AM, Arramu said:

meditate *on* emptiness

Hi Arramu,

The above are just three English words.

- LimA

On 7/11/2018 at 7:46 PM, Marblehead said:

Yes, there are many happy endings to that ordeal depending on how it is looked at. A couple sad endings too.

Hi Dada-da,

For those who had not been following the Great Cave Rescue in Thailand, trust these videos can provide some insights...

The ELATION is great! I am elated.

But I raised this with friends - "All 13 saved but 1 saver died...".

A friend reacted - "That's life... only 99% happy ending, never 100%".

My response - "But for his family - it is 99% sadness?"

My friend agrees...

This is Sgt Maj Saman Kunan - the fallen hero:

Mrs Saman Kunan has been quoted as saying this on Facebook:

"I use my pride to repress my sadness".

- LimA

Edited by Limahong
Correct errors.
  • Like 1