Starjumper

Best Translation Of The Six Yoga's Of Naropa

SJ wrote: Enlightenment is one of the early steps along the path.

Sorry but I disagree. ;)

It is the goal.

Enlightenment is a tool that you must acquire to continue along the path. It is not a final goal. Enlightenment is the goal in most schools of Buddhism, but not it Taoism.

Just enjoy and persevere in your spiritual path and eventually you'll finish. :)

There is no finish, there is no end to the spiritual path. Except for the highest level of immortality, that is the final goal.

At first and for a long time a person must still their mind during meditation until they achieve enlightenment.

After enlightenment then stillness of the mind increases during day to day during non meditational activities until the mind achieves permanent stillness.

After this then thought (movement of the mind) can return to stillness because it no longer distracts one out of stillness into unstillness. This is described as movement within stillness of the mind and it is required for a person to have clarity. First enlightenment, then clarity, OK?

After this the lifelong quest of the practitioner is a practice which never ends, and that is movement within stillness in Te. Which goes hand in hand with wisdom accumulation.

How boring to have a path with an early ending. Do you think people stop developing after they become enlightened? NO. It is the tool that needs to be used in order to make further progress. It is a tool, an early goal, not a final goal. Well, maybe it is a final goal in your system. :)

-------------

Edited for a couple of typos and add the word 'during' :)

Edited by Starjumper7

How boring to have a path with an early ending.

Hahaha, yeah, I agree with you, enlightenment is like a check-point on the way. But for most people it is so far fetched, demands so much disipline and sacrifice, that they wont even be able to dream about it being possible. And if they dream about it, the dream is mostly so distorted compared to the reality of it that it dosent look like enlightenment at all. It look probably more like ego ejaculation. Its like believing that the stars we see on the night sky is about 500m up in the sky and that we actually are pretty close to the stars.

But Im up for a race towards enlightenment! What a great idea! Lets go! First to be enlightened gets the others as followers ;)

No, you clearly have misconstrued the word "enlightenment". There are no -isms, that's just another trap. The Rig Veda says: "There is a single Truth but the wise call it by different names." The purpose of the path called Daoism is what is called in Sanskrit- Sanatana Dharma.

From the SwamiJ site:

Sanatana Dharma means:

Eternal Path

Never Beginning nor Ending Way

Perennial Philosophy

Universal Tradition

All-Pervading Truth

Natural Flow

Sanatana is:

Eternal

Perennial

Never Beginning nor Ending

Abiding

Universal

Ever-present

Unceasing

Natural

Enduring

Dharma is:

Harmony

The Way

Righteousness

Compassion

Natural Law

Morality

Truth

Teachings

Tradition

Philosophy

Order

Flow

Spirituality

Religion

Wisdom

Purest Insight

Divine Conformity

Cosmic Norm

Blueprint

Inherent Nature

Law of Being

Duty

The universal flow of Dharma,

regardless of what name you call it,

whether Dharma or some other name,

has eternally existed.

It has been before any of

the great teachers were born.

It is not better than, or alternative to,

but is inclusive of all.

Dharma is that out of which

our earth and humanity itself emerged.

Dharma not only is,

but always was, and always will be.

To live in alignment with,

and to know the true nature

of that Sanatana Dharma

is one of the ways of describing

the higher goal of life.

Guest sykkelpump

Andy is my teacher - a past teacher, but the kind of teacher you keep in touch with since we share some histroy and I've been planning on seeing him again to brush up on my Tai Chi and maybe learn some more Pa Kua so he's also my future teacher; in short, my teacher. We don't email each other but we see each other now and then. In fact I've been planning in seeing him within the week to discuss something with him about Mr. Yueng. Andy is Mr. Yueng's long time friend.

Yeah, now he knows I'm an idiot for getting involved here. great!

I think he already knew

A friend of mine once said, "Chasing enlightenment is like kissing your sister"

Who knows? maybe he is right?

What his sister cute? B)

Ah...yeah. This one's pretty amusing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXZcp9jS_Nw&feature=user

Then Mr. Smith says this:

Mr. Smith has been given title of Guru with permission to teach the system of Visayan Eskrima Corto Kadena by Maha Guru Sonny Umpad.

It's not what I've heard. There is an actual document about people who Sonny gave lineage to.

Edited by Buddy

"Since Steve Smith has no reason to lie then that means your document is incorrect, doesn't it. "

Uh, you'll want to leave this one alone. Guru Sonny issued this document just before his death. I'm sure Mr' Smith believes what he says and I'm not questioning his skill (although the clip was a bit iffy) but the document is legit. Sorry.

"This type of sorcery is frequently depicted in Western mythology and even Disney cartoons :) for example, the hand motions of the wizard and Mickey Mouse with the brooms at the water well in the movie Fantasia.

Buddy won't be able to resist crapping on that one, because that's what he does."

You've done my work for me.

Edited by Buddy

The radar hands method you mentioned, does it serve a purpose? Or is it more a tool to experience/feel chi ?

That's some interesting stuff man - I've always been keen on the hands. Do you do exercises to make it flow in specific patterns, or do you more focus on areas?

yeah I would like to hear more expriences with trees.Its seems they are adapted to taking are negative qi.

Just wondering what species of tree people work with and the different quality of qi they acquire.That is if qi exsists :)

I like to sit with my back at an old oak here in the park :) he's roots go way down, he's branches go high up.

"Also the the Yaqui sorcerer, Don Juan, used to roam the desert scanning for energized areas where other shamans had practiced during the night. "

Unfortunately Don Juan is a fictional character.

"Also the the Yaqui sorcerer, Don Juan, used to roam the desert scanning for energized areas where other shamans had practiced during the night. "

Unfortunately Don Juan is a fictional character.

Careful Buddy you are starting to become predictable.

"To become predictable is to become the hunted."

-- Old Yaqui Saying

;)

See, the problem is Steve, while you have been blithely cavorting with wizards and sorcerers up in the damp Northwest other people have been actively researching. You didn't know that Kumar was very open about Feng beating him. You didn't know that Carlitos (RIP) had been repudiated as a fiction writer. You didn't know that Guro Umpad actually wrote down just before his death who represented his art. But why would you? You already are convinced of your transcendence. Why...you even have a fan club forum telling you everyday what an enlightened being you are.

Remember what you said to me about....reading a book.

Edited by Buddy