Starjumper

Best Translation Of The Six Yoga's Of Naropa

Yes, but first answer me these questions: Do you feel chi in your body at times? Do you feel chi in your hands if you meditate with a holding the ball hand position?

Hi Star,

I feel "something" move / flow when I do Tai Chi, that "something" moves quite forcefully when I do kung fu.

The amount of force has increased a lot this last year, previously it felt more like wishful thinking / my imagination.

Wouldn't say I feel Chi "in" my hands when holding the ball, more like I can feel something between my hands.

Do you suppose that "something" could be measured?

Possibly not, the feeling is quite subjective, I can't really think of a way to measure it.

My Sifu does not discuss Chi much. He like to keep things very practical i.e. "do this exercise, this will happen"

No, i actually just had a feeling (when i saw your name as the most recent post), that you'd have gotten to my comments. i had stopped checking after a couple of days (busy with a paper haha).

Anyway, when practiced correctly it looks a lot like fast T'aiji with the sinking/drawing step of Xingyi and Mizong footwork of the Bagua Kuo bu and Bai Bu stepping (though not circular). It doesn't do any of these arbitrarily, but i see all of these in it. The style is very long and northern, and would otherwise look like very technical Wu Ye forms. A good practitioner is relaxed and full when doing these. You could perhaps characterize it as "Internal-External" as some do for Chen T'aiji and Bajiquan (though it is not "hard" breathing) like Baji training.

These are forms that accentuate what are said to be more ancient techniques. i can't attest to how old the forms are, but the techniques, including the "missing" step footwork and a type of "radar" tracking is said to be from the T'ien Shan Szu fighting techniques. Check out the website for more descriptions beyond that.

I see everyone suddenly lost interest in cultivating radar hands at step two. :blink:

Typical :)

What was step one?

Yes, and post #80 was step 2. what you do for step 3 depends on what you get for step 2. Leg shaking may not be needed for it. What do you feel if you roll an imaginary tennis ball around in between your hands?

Edited by Starjumper7

In my system we do exercises (like various types of shaking, dragon body, and slowly moving through various postures which makes it like zhan zhuang) which create a lot of energy and then we direct this energy around our bodies with our hands.

The ability to project energy with the hands and to sense it's reflection becomes so acute that we can feel out energy reflecting off of walls many feet away as we walk along. We go through a stage where energy just drips off our fingertips and we need to make fists to keep from losing too much. Due to our motions and to the energy work the teacher does we have large amounts of energy going out the tops of our heads basically all the time and at higher levels we radiate energy all around our bodies all the time.

What is dragon body? And how do you do your shaking?

So, it sounds like "radar hands" is projecting energy, bouncing it off stuff and receiving it back with the hands like a radar - to scan it?

I see everyone suddenly lost interest in cultivating radar hands at step two. :blink:

Typical :)

------------

Hern Heng, could you post some youtube videos of Tien Shan Pai performances that you approve of. Thanks.

Can you tell step 3 ? :)

In baguazhang there is a posture where you walk the circle arms and hands to your side palms facing down (back straight, pelvis tucked in and keeping the hands a littlebit in a cuplike form) wich seems to have an effect similar to what you call radarhands, you sense the floor and surrounding with it and is also great for bringing energy down when to much is accumulating in the upper part of the body :)

Well there ya go! You got it! The feeling of the vibration is you feeling the energy internally and all you need to do to 'learn' it is simply to focus on it more. It is best to focus on the feeling in your hands in the beginning and doing it right away after kung fu practice is ideal. Do you do sitting right away after practice or do you need to travel first?

Cheers Star, I was having difficulties working out why it felt more noticeable after kung fu practice :) I usually do Tai Chi for a cool down and a bit of meditation right after, I've been trying to feel the vibration then. It's a different sensation to Tai Chi where (after 4 years practice) I'm told to "feel the chi move" and I feel the change or flow of energy moving through my body. Radar hands seems to be feeling the "base level" of energy that is already present (i.e. vibration) I'm still concentrating on my own hands more so than other things but I will try some radar like bouncing and see how that goes.

The reason I though this may be useful for me is that we have a saying for Tong Long "one touch and all is known" If I touch someone I can tell what they are going to do. But my Sifu can feel my intent and pivot his techniques off that intent rather than having to wait for actual contact. I can feel intent without contact for really obvious techniques, or in real life when someone is really really angry and really wants to hurt me. But I have nowhere near the degree of sensitivity that my Sifu has.

"In the Tai Chi classics it talks about how, if you have a lot of chi that it feels like you have ants crawling all over your body. Something to look forward to?"

Where does it say this? Who's translation are you using?

BTW the first posture of the static palms in baguazhang is about rooting.No need for any esoteric explanation. Baguazhang is a martial art that, like any endeavor can be used for self cultivation. But it is by knows means it's purpose.

Edited by Buddy