Bindi

Using Shen to change negative thought patterns

In Daoism the emotional energy primarily gets expressed through the middle Dan Tien. When the emotional energy is centered it will not be wasted, it will be able to build up and later be refined into Shen, which can be used in meditation. To change and affect ingrained negative thought patterns to the better we need mental effort. When the middle Dan Tien/emotional centre is strong, the energy will be able to rise to the upper Dan Tien and this in turn enables a person to practice spiritual arts. It is experiencing spirituality that will create change deep in the core and the congenital meridians - Roni Edlund Here.

I do agree with this quote, specifically the need to sort out emotional issues first, and then to tackle 'negative thought patterns'. I see it as two distinctly separate focuses at two different times. Perhaps this is tackling negative thought patterns with Shen instead of by trying to suppress or redirect or ignore or dissociate from or let go of or use willpower against or any other mind approach. 

I am happy to be wrong but based on my understanding of your path, I didn't think you employ meditation or mental effort.   I saw your path as more effortless arising via dreams through the chakras.  

I'm not sure if your asking,  how to apply mental effort to your path along the lines of the quote ?

Maybe you would need to define how you currently use mental effort or not. 

very interesting :)

• Like 1

I think I'm more just using her concept of first being emotionally centred and this then being the basis of tackling thought patterns via an increase in Shen, by which I mean Yuan Shen. But if Yuan Shen were truly available, mental effort would then seem to be unnecessary, it's a bit unclear in her quote if she means this or not, but that is how I read it. To my way of thinking meditation would also become unnecessary, because Yuan Shen if it is there will do its work whether in meditation or not.

In terms of meditation I have spent years quietly sitting with feelings, I think this must be termed meditation in some school or other. In my experience this sitting with feelings does take a lot of effort though, because the work is with feelings that are on the whole unpleasant to feel, and the effort is to allow the feeling.  

I have been fully focused on working with the emotional aspect for a long time, and I feel I am just now shifting to a focus on thought patterns, and this is my attempt to specify the place of emotional work within the big picture. 

Edited by Bindi

4 hours ago, Bindi said:

I do agree with this quote, specifically the need to sort out emotional issues first, and then to tackle 'negative thought patterns'. I see it as two distinctly separate focuses at two different times. Perhaps this is tackling negative thought patterns with Shen instead of by trying to suppress or redirect or ignore or dissociate from or let go of or use willpower against or any other mind approach. 

Hi Bindi

What I am missing on your list of mind approaches is using insight to dissolve negative thought patterns. Chronic negative thought patterns are indeed at odds with your highest good, out of line with your highest potential self, 'wrong' insofar they are not (or no longer) adequate at the state of sophistication that you are naturally aspiring to in accordance with your ongoing spiritual evolution, although they may have served a purpose at one time. Yet in their wrongness, they hint at the very lessons to be learned in order to bring more of your true self into manifestation.

Sitting with your emotions is a good place to start, and doing so in an introspective manner should lead you on to the thoughts and beliefs underlying them. For in general, your emotions will be following your thoughts, they are not independent forces willy-nilly messing with your mind, although they may very well appear to be until you dig up those subconscious mental patterns that are bringing them forth.

So there is a progression from emotion to thought to intuitive insight (wisdom) here, and it is especially at latter stage that the transformative power of shen comes into play.

Make no mistake, this is not an easy game; our habitual ways of thinking or mental patterns are expressing our beliefs, those programs that have been ingrained and built upon from our early childhood on. We tend to be blind in regards to those beliefs and simply take them as statements about reality. They filter our perception and therefore they seem to be constantly confirmed by our experiences.

There are reasons for that. Even less than adequate beliefs will to some degree be 'write-protected', simply because our mind can't do without that kind of steadfastness in its interpretation of its experiences.

So yes, it often takes effort to question our beliefs and transform them in the alchemical fire of wisdom, yet doing so is crucial to gradually overcoming the state of delusion that we dwell upon (as the spiritual masters constantly remind us) and entering a more enlightened way of thinking, feeling - and being.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Michael Sternbach said:

Hi Bindi

What I am missing on your list of mind approaches is using insight to dissolve negative thought patterns. Chronic negative thought patterns are indeed at odds with your highest good, out of line with your highest potential self, 'wrong' insofar they are not (or no longer) adequate at the state of sophistication that you are naturally aspiring to in accordance with your ongoing spiritual evolution, although they may have served a purpose at one time. Yet in their wrongness, they hint at the very lessons to be learned in order to bring more of your true self into manifestation.

Sitting with your emotions is a good place to start, and doing so in an introspective manner should lead you on to the thoughts and beliefs underlying them. For in general, your emotions will be following your thoughts, they are not independent forces willy-nilly messing with your mind, although they may very well appear to be until you dig up those subconscious mental patterns that are bringing them forth.

So there is a progression from emotion to thought to intuitive insight (wisdom) here, and it is especially at latter stage that the transformative power of shen comes into play.

Make no mistake, this is not an easy game; our habitual ways of thinking or mental patterns are expressing our beliefs, those programs that have been ingrained and built upon from our early childhood on. We tend to be blind in regards to those beliefs and simply take them as statements about reality. They filter our perception and therefore they seem to be constantly confirmed by our experiences.

There are reasons for that. Even less than adequate beliefs will to some degree be 'write-protected', simply because our mind can't do without that kind of steadfastness in its interpretation of its experiences.

So yes, it often takes effort to question our beliefs and transform them in the alchemical fire of wisdom, yet doing so is crucial to gradually overcoming the state of delusion that we dwell upon (as the spiritual masters constantly remind us) and entering a more enlightened way of thinking, feeling - and being.

Agreed, the issue seems to be that these less than adequate beliefs as much as worthwhile beliefs have become integrated into our sense of self, and the problem is that we can't separate out the worthwhile from the less than adequate, because they are all equally our 'self'. 

...Although the Upper Dantian is responsible for the fruition of intuitive and psychic perceptions, it is necessary to balance the combined energetic properties of all three Dantians in order to establish a reliable foundation for genuine psychic perception. JAJ

So yes, intuitive insight is probably the way forward, but Shen has to be present to initiate this process, and for it to be genuine JAJ refers to all three dantians being balanced. 

Even more than balanced though, I believe that yang jing needs to have been produced, specifically to produce yuan qi, specifically to produce yuan shen, and without this exact energy being produced, the most we can achieve is being a reasonably well-sorted human being, using the shen that already exists. 

Taoist famous poem:

"自古神仙無別法,  只生觀喜不生愁" 

To  become an immortal you get no other ways, but to rejoice and  have no negative emotional state"

• Like 4

The Shen doesn't have any of those negative patterns. They are stuck in the Qi level (internal organs). Cleanse these and they will be gone forever like applying bleach on a clothing stain.

You are materialised Shen. Use 'force' (will) to remove those patterns but the process is very slow and takes a long time. One method is circle walking, which acts as a giant washing machine (centrifugal force). It deletes all negativity and acquired habit from the system as well as reconnecting with the Spirit/Mind.

Edited by Gerard
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Gerard said:

The Shen doesn't have any of those negative patterns. They are stuck in the Qi level (internal organs). Cleanse these and they will be gone forever like applying bleach on a clothing stain.

You are materialised Shen. Use 'force' (will) to remove those patterns but the process is very slow and takes a long time. One method is circle walking, which acts as a giant washing machine (centrifugal force). It deletes all negativity and acquired habit from the system as well as reconnecting with the Spirit/Mind.

Where Shen is I agree there wouldn't be any negative patterns, but I do think they still exist until Shen has increased enough to remove them. I gather you are trying to remove all negative emotional and mental patterns at the qi level, I just don't think it is possible. I do think it is possible however to remove the negative emotional backlog at the qi/heart level. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, exorcist_1699 said:

Taoist famous poem:

"自古神仙無別法,  只生觀喜不生愁" 

To  become an immortal you get no other ways, but to rejoice and  have no negative emotional state"

This is a nice strong statement, thankyou for posting it. 

In my understanding, our True essence or nature cannot be revealed where any negative emotional or mental pattern exists because we would unwittingly damage or destroy it.

Edited by Bindi
  • Like 1

There is a strange notion in certain spiritual circles that it is possible to simply flush negative psychological patterns out of the system by an infusion of shen, light, or whatever you call it. Well, I beg to differ.

To resolve mind issues, mind must be applied. Past hurts need to be faced and put into perspective eventually. Inner conflicts must be solved, and divergent aspects of self reconciled. All of which requires some sort of conscious effort.

I agree that the presence of shen (to use the OP's terminology) will greatly facilitate the process. By the same token, any progress made resolving inner blockades will open up the channels more to its flow.

Different methods of meditation may prove useful accumulating this subtle energy. It is also possible to use external agents that are naturally imbued with it. Minerals and plants carry many different variations thereof. They are often made into 'alchemical' preparations to further unfold those subtle properties.

Those can be applied very specifically to the many kinds of inner issues, facilitating the process of working with and through them as they help you reconnect to your own shen, triggering needed insights and decisions.

There are a number of different systems of so-called vibrational remedies. One that I am particularly familiar with (actually, that I have been educated in) has become known as Bach Flower Therapy. I have used those remedies many times in conjunction with psycho-spiritual counselling.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Michael Sternbach said:

There is a strange notion in certain spiritual circles that it is possible to simply flush negative psychological patterns out of the system by an infusion of shen, light, or whatever you call it.

Shen is an energy that has been refined, I don't think it's light, though light surely exists in the UDT.  Shen is an alchemical product, it has a 'thin, ethereal, vapour like quality' according to JAJ, I understand it as akin to helium. I see it as being relevant in the UDT, where mind patterns are created and maintained.  An infusion of Shen is not possible in a trite or shallow way, it can only be the result of personal alchemy. So 'simply' flush is a non-sequitur as far as I'm concerned.  

Well, I beg to differ.

Great :) 

To resolve mind issues, mind must be applied. Past hurts need to be faced and put into perspective eventually. Inner conflicts must be solved, and divergent aspects of self reconciled. All of which requires some sort of conscious effort.

Perhaps you're right, I'm to at the beginning of ordering my mind to know what is involved. At bottom I was just putting out the idea that 'hurts' need to be resolved in a two-step process, emotional blood letting first, and then the mental aspect. But I recognise that consciousness needs to be present in the mind, perhaps, very likely, conscious intent is required. 

The Shen aspect might be to be able to complete what is otherwise an uncompletable task. 

I agree that the presence of shen (to use the OP's terminology) will greatly facilitate the process. By the same token, any progress made resolving inner blockades will open up the channels more to its flow.

Different methods of meditation may prove useful accumulating this subtle energy. It is also possible to use external agents that are naturally imbued with it. Minerals and plants carry many different variations thereof. They are often made into 'alchemical' preparations to further unfold those subtle properties.

Those can be applied very specifically to the many kinds of inner issues, facilitating the process of working with and through them as they help you reconnect to your own shen, triggering needed insights and decisions.

There are a number of different systems of so-called vibrational remedies. One that I am particularly familiar with (actually, that I have been educated in) has become known as Bach Flower Therapy. I have used those remedies many times in conjunction with psycho-spiritual counselling.

Edited by Bindi
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Wuschel said:

from my experience, our true essence is no different from negative emotions and mental patterns, so it can be seen with them present and even in them themself

once seen once it becomes possible to recognize it in and as everything

it is impossible to destroy or damage it, we just get absorbed in externals

i believe seeing essence within perceptions with just the right balance of the 2 poles is the most powerful way of purification

but the work is much easier with a peaceful mind

what do you guys mean when you say shen?

I used the phrase 'true essence' carelessly and generically, a more specific phrase would be the 'spiritual fetus' or Yang spirit. This spiritual entity can be sent out at will, and can interact with the world of matter, but only after it has been matured, and AFAIK only after our own emotional and mental state has been completely purified. 

By shen I mean the energy that is in the upper dantian. From my little knowledge of neidan a certain amount of shen always exists in the upper dantian, but if there is no spiritual fetus brought up from the lower dantians into the upper dantian, and if shen is not increased, then it is an incomplete process. 

I don't know what your concept would be called, perhaps an explanation of the Dao, or non-duality, hopefully someone might recognise it. 

• Like 1

On 5/2/2018 at 5:07 AM, Michael Sternbach said:

I'll add that there are also traditions which have concluded that mind issues can never be resolved by mind, as it is mind that is the issue in the first place. You can't wash blood away with blood. Even Western psychotherapists are beginning to see this (eg ACT). While we certainly can engage the mind to analyze, judge, and understand its machinations, there are also other ways to resolve issues of the mind. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, steve said:

I'll add that there are also traditions which have concluded that mind issues can never be resolved by mind, as it is mind that is the issue in the first place. You can't wash blood away with blood. Even Western psychotherapists are beginning to see this (eg ACT). While we certainly can engage the mind to analyze, judge, and understand its machinations, there are also other ways to resolve issues of the mind. 

The issue is not the mind, but how its abilities are being applied. A one-sidedly rationalistic approach tends to be problematic, to be sure. The mind guided by intuition can indeed untie many of its own knots, however, especially when in a state of deep relaxation.

Basically what Bindi refers to as the application of shen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have had emotional energy in the upper..middle AND Lower dan Tien..

This is like this..because it shows the different generators of emotion..and the weighing and judging of emotional content..

• Like 1

I came across another way of looking at this whole thing. Researchers are starting to identify three brains, the gut, heart and head brains. Not surprisingly (to me at least) these are also the locations of the three dantians.

Apparently our three brains don't always align. “Sometimes you will use one of the other brains to do the function of another.”  A classic example of this is emotional eating. “It’s a heart function. You can’t eat your way to emotional satisfaction. That’s a heart function not the gut function.”  Here.

My contention is that these separate 'brains' need to be sorted out, by concentrating on them one at a time - starting with the gut brain - and this can take many years but if each brain can be brought into health then they can ultimately be integrated to great benefit. Trying to integrate these three centres when they are still dysfunctional just amplifies the dysfunction as far as I can see. 

Further to this topic, each brain has its own way of processing information or alternatively not processing information and storing the backlog, so each brain would then logically need it's own particular method to process the backlog, and regain health. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Bindi said:

I came across another way of looking at this whole thing. Researchers are starting to identify three brains, the gut, heart and head brains. Not surprisingly (to me at least) these are also the locations of the three dantians.

Apparently our three brains don't always align. “Sometimes you will use one of the other brains to do the function of another.”  A classic example of this is emotional eating. “It’s a heart function. You can’t eat your way to emotional satisfaction. That’s a heart function not the gut function.”  Here.

My contention is that these separate 'brains' need to be sorted out, by concentrating on them one at a time - starting with the gut brain - and this can take many years but if each brain can be brought into health then they can ultimately be integrated to great benefit. Trying to integrate these three centres when they are still dysfunctional just amplifies the dysfunction as far as I can see. 

Further to this topic, each brain has its own way of processing information or alternatively not processing information and storing the backlog, so each brain would then logically need it's own particular method to process the backlog, and regain health. 

As I read this, I felt the transformations often appear separate but are more like evolving stages of perception and awareness.  Many practices tend to deal with them in a linear manner to get to a final unification.   

My first vision was:

LDT = Solid water (ice)

MDT = water

UDT = vapor

but as I've never read or heard this before, I was hesitant to claim such an idea... so went to google... 

And found JAJ, whom you have referred to, proposes the same:

http://www.ichikung.com/html/dantians.php

These transformations can be compared to the changes of water consistencies, which when heated, can change from solid ice, to liquid, to vapor. These progressive transformations are one example of the use of the Three Dantians as inner crucibles in the process of internal alchemy. Through extensive experimentation in the internal laboratory of the physical, energetic, and spiritual body, Daoist alchemists were able to become powerful sorcerers, augurs, and healers.

The only thing I'd add is... these are not separated but only perceived by the heart-mind as separate... so the journey is to unite within the mind-heart what the subconscious already treats as unified...  so in an round about way, it is not the simply unification of the dan tian energy centers as much as the unification of the conscious and subconscious. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, dawei said:

As I read this, I felt the transformations often appear separate but are more like evolving stages of perception and awareness.  Many practices tend to deal with them in a linear manner to get to a final unification.   

My first vision was:

LDT = Solid water (ice)

MDT = water

UDT = vapor

but as I've never read or heard this before, I was hesitant to claim such an idea... so went to google... 

The only thing I'd add is... these are not separated but only perceived by the heart-mind as separate... so the journey is to unite within the mind-heart what the subconscious already treats as unified...  so in an round about way, it is not the simply unification of the dan tian energy centers as much as the unification of the conscious and subconscious. 

Yes, you could liken the dantians to the different phases of matter, which also correspond with the classical elements. And any particular issue may have special affinity with one of them, while still finding resonance on the other levels as well.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dawei said:

My first vision was:

LDT = Solid water (ice)

MDT = water

UDT = vapor

Yes I agree with the ice - water - vapour analogy, and I agree that the subconscious is fully aware of of both the heart and the gut centres, but, from my perspective, what the subconscious realises in its awareness of the gut and the heart and also the head is the level of dysfunction of each centre. 

To me it is the ability to see the dysfunction at each centre that needs to be brought to consciousness, and I would call this actually seeing reality at the level it first needs to be perceived. Not flinching from this reality then allows us to engage with what is dysfunctional in order to heal it. 

• Like 2

Jing, Chi, Shen we call them 3 but are 1 energy that we are all born with. Energy has no physical location, formless this goes beyond the physical world. The three treasures are merely associated with a physical location, the elixir fields that are not separate functions.

We are in fact the master of our own emotions and thoughts. The shen is the divine commander. Everyday life, emotions, thoughts and reality we create in the dust of the world can drain the Shen. The work is to nourish the Shen (postnatal) good life style, food, water and air.  emotions should cycle throughout the day when we hold on to one emotion this is trouble. Thoughts should come and go and be sure to act on beneficial information. Holding on to one thought over and over again is trouble or means we need to act if beneficial to eliminate the annoyance. If you have any negative thought patterns just repeat delete, delete, delete and banish them from your mind they are meaningless and not worth any of your time.

Let's say emotional and mental balance increases with intent and will power. We can attract a higher  Shen to us.

I suggest to look at the work as if you had no body but care for body like the earth cares for all things without caring in a preconceived way. It would be difficult to have any known problem without a body.

Edited by Wu Ming Jen
  • Like 4

I look at Jing, Qi and Shen from the perspective of Three Gunas of Yogic theory. Jing is Tamas (greater inertia), Qi is Rajas (Active) and Shen is Satva (Empty and tranquil). As we transform Jing to Qi to Shen we are actually going towards emptiness and tranquility/harmony. So negative patterns will need to be released/dissolved in order to cultivate more Shen. But the more the Shen becomes, the easier it will be to dissolve negative patterns of mentation.  My 2 cents worth :)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, dwai said:

I look at Jing, Qi and Shen from the perspective of Three Gunas of Yogic theory. Jing is Tamas (greater inertia), Qi is Rajas (Active) and Shen is Satva (Empty and tranquil). As we transform Jing to Qi to Shen we are actually going towards emptiness and tranquility/harmony. So negative patterns will need to be released/dissolved in order to cultivate more Shen. But the more the Shen becomes, the easier it will be to dissolve negative patterns of mentation.  My 2 cents worth :)

Tamas is the darkness and the crudeness in man. It is "ajnanajam" (born of ignorance) and "mohanam" (the cause of delusion). It binds the soul through recklessness, indolence and sleep (14.8).

Rajas is full of passion (ragatmakam) and is born out of "thrishna" (thirst or intense desire) and "sanga" (attachment). It binds the soul through attachment with action (14.7).

Sattva is pure, without impurities, illuminating and free from sickness. It binds the soul through attachment with happiness and knowledge (14.6).

"The Bhagavadgita suggests that we should try to transcend them rather than cultivate them. By knowing the nature of the three gunas and how they tend to keep us in bondage and illusion, we should become wiser and strive to transcend them."

"When a person overcomes the three gunas, he neither likes nor dislikes purity light, passion and delusion, which are the predominant modalities that arise from the gunas namely sattva, rajas and tamas respectively." Here.

This theory seems very different to the cultivate and transmute theory of jing/qi/shen, where jing is the proper foundation and not something negative to be transcended.

You must follow your head, heart and gut.  The root of knowing comes from the gut.  This is where instinct is born, in the Dan Tian, located about an inch below the navel.  This is the furnace where Jing and Qi are purified to be transmuted to Shen.  In China they say we have become stupid because at birth we are cut off at the gut, our umbilical cord is cut there.  In today’s world our external environment influences us too much and as a result we are working only from our head and heart.  

https://www.wudangchen.com/blog/relationship-between-yuan-shen-and-shi-shen

11 hours ago, Wu Ming Jen said:

Jing, Chi, Shen we call them 3 but are 1 energy that we are all born with.

"All people on their own have the Medicine of long life; it is only for insanity and delusion that they cast it away to no avail. - Wuzhen pian

Energy has no physical location, formless this goes beyond the physical world. The three treasures are merely associated with a physical location, the elixir fields that are not separate functions.

The wei-qi fields extend beyond the physical body, but I understood that the energies to increase them are developed within the "alchemical workshop' of the body" (Damo Mitchell).

We are in fact the master of our own emotions and thoughts. The shen is the divine commander. Everyday life, emotions, thoughts and reality we create in the dust of the world can drain the Shen. The work is to nourish the Shen (postnatal) good life style, food, water and air.  emotions should cycle throughout the day when we hold on to one emotion this is trouble. Thoughts should come and go and be sure to act on beneficial information. Holding on to one thought over and over again is trouble or means we need to act if beneficial to eliminate the annoyance. If you have any negative thought patterns just repeat delete, delete, delete and banish them from your mind they are meaningless and not worth any of your time.

Let's say emotional and mental balance increases with intent and will power. We can attract a higher  Shen to us.

I suggest to look at the work as if you had no body but care for body like the earth cares for all things without caring in a preconceived way. It would be difficult to have any known problem without a body.

This reminds me a bit of the work that needs to be done with the three gunas. Cultivate Sattva and eliminate the negatives.

• Like 1

More on the 'three brains' - how closely can this be related to the three dantians? 

Our findings indicate that there are three core prime functions for each of the three neural networks, or brains:

GUT BRAIN PRIME FUNCTIONS

• Core Identity: A deep and visceral sense of core self, and determining at the deepest levels what is self versus not-self
  • Self-Preservation: Protection of self, safety, boundaries, hungers, and aversions
  • Mobilization: Motility, impulse for action, gutsy courage, and the will to act

HEART BRAIN PRIME FUNCTIONS

• Emoting: Emotional processing (e.g., anger, grief, hatred, joy, happiness, etc.)
  • Values: Processing what’s important to you and your priorities (and its relationship to the emotional strength of your aspirations, dreams, desires, etc.)
  • Relational Affect: Your felt connection with others (e.g., feelings of love/hate/indifference, compassion/uncaring, like/dislike, etc.)

HEAD BRAIN PRIME FUNCTIONS

• Cognitive Perception: Cognition, perception, pattern recognition, etc.
  • Thinking: Reasoning, abstraction, analysis, synthesis, meta-cognition, etc.
  • Making Meaning: Semantic processing, languaging, narrative, metaphor, etc.

https://trainingmag.com/content/coaching-brains-our-head-heart-and-gut

• Like 2