Daemon

Probiotic Appreciation Study Group

I love kombucha too! I mix mine with pineapple, passionfruit and ginger and it gives that extra sweetness and zing. 

I just started a brew which involved using lemongrass tea. Lemongrass ha a potent taste, so we'll see. 

I have some hibiscus (roselle) tea and I'm wondering if I can use this as my tea brew with sugar and add the SCOBY directly or one needs to stick to black and green tea. 

I'm glad I discovered this thread! :)Thank you for this!

• Thanks 2

Thank you. I have actually been brewing and am still really new to it. I am on just my 3rd brew at the moment and i am loving it! I am at the point where i have 2 huge scobys and am planning to start a scoby motel because i dont know what else to do with them and dont want to throw them away.

I have been experimenting a bit on the second brew, the first few times i used pom juice which was great, this last time i tried apple juice and cinnamon which has been my favorite! :)

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

you can use just about any type of tea, but if you decide to use anything else but black tea, use one of your extra SCOBYs because it will effect the balance of the populations that are in the scoby 

always keep your original culture going in black tea.

Edited by ion
SCOBYs not scabies!
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/15/2018 at 3:14 PM, Seatle185 said:

Thank you. I have actually been brewing and am still really new to it. I am on just my 3rd brew at the moment and i am loving it! I am at the point where i have 2 huge scobys and am planning to start a scoby motel because i dont know what else to do with them and dont want to throw them away.

I have been experimenting a bit on the second brew, the first few times i used pom juice which was great, this last time i tried apple juice and cinnamon which has been my favorite! :)

give the extra scobies to friends.

I used to give them out for people to start their own brews.

in fact I think I started a thread here after I discovered how to make a kombucha like beverage out of thin air 5 or 6 years ago.

I was a member of an online kombucha brewing group, and members were always asking people how to make KT from scratch.

I did not realize that they were asking how to make KT from a store bought brand, I thought they meant literally from scratch.

I wondered about it hard, came up with an idea, tried it and it worked. Tried it again and it worked again.

I should try it again.

After posting that thread I ended up sending off some cultures to interested parties along with some mushroom cultures on agar.

Edited by ion
  • Like 1