lifeforce

The Perils of Meditation

4 minutes ago, ilumairen said:

I am sure you do.

Once upon a time, I was feeling “yucky.” I went to a doctor, who suspected I may be over hydrated when I explained how much I had been drinking. To his surprise, in spite of my copious fluid intake, I was, in fact, dehydrated.

To me what is mysterious is why. I've noticed this tendency to urinate more with certain mantras as well. 

Here is just a speculative theory I'll pondered the past couple years. Since the kidneys are the source of our pre-natal essence and karma I wonder if meditation and mantras that work out past karma have a purging effect on the kidneys which house this karma.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, dwai said:

Sounds like classic vata imbalance -- I know you're a TCM person, so there must be an equivalent in TCM as well. Take up taijiquan practice -- it is gentle, energizing, and will give you relief from the contemplative/introspective side of meditation until you are really comfortable with the forms.

General Vata description --

https://www.keralaayurveda.us/courses/signs-and-solutions-for-fall-imbalance/

Vata psychological impact --

https://www.artofliving.org/in-en/ayurveda/ayurvedic-treatments/vata-imbalance-manage

Something else weird I've noticed not just when needling myself but patients as well is that when there is a damp condition such as phlegm the needle handles feel moist to the touch after a while after being inserted.

• Like 1

I have for sure noticed a similar thing after some zahn zhuang stands. 

Darker than usual too. 

Inner sound work makes me crazy thirsty.

More urine, not damp handles.

Edited by Sketch
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sketch said:

Darker than usual too. 

Urine being darker is due to a higher concentration of uric acid which is a byproduct of metabolism which would indicate the ZZ is increasing your metabolism.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, dmattwads said:

Urine being darker is due to a higher concentration of uric acid which is a byproduct of metabolism which would indicate the ZZ is increasing your metabolism.

Pretty much my conclusion. 

4 minutes ago, Sketch said:

Why does that sound like the name of an album?

• Haha 3

A sequel to "here come the warm jets"...

Edited by Sketch
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sketch said:

Pretty much my conclusion. 

I used to write off things done in my church days as irrelevant, but lately I've been revaluating that. I now remember my practice as a Christian having some similar effects.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dmattwads said:

I used to write off things done in my church days as irrelevant, but lately I've been revaluating that. I now remember my practice as a Christian having some similar effects.

I had 12 years of catholic school and left it with no stomach for organized religion. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sketch said:

I had 12 years of catholic school and left it with no stomach for organized religion. 

I can see how that could happen.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Sketch said:

My practice of Christianity wasn't really typical. Actually as far as schedule goes it wasn't really different from my more recent practice schedule. 

Almost everyday most free time was used for prayer, and contemplative Bible study. Had plenty of weird things happen then as well.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Sketch said:

Darker than usual too. 

It is always a good idea to do some moving practice after standing (taijiquan moving forms, etc). Prolonged standing puts load on the kidneys -- charges it up. You want to move the qi around so kidneys are balanced. One friend damaged his kidneys from too much standing -- hours on end. Standing builds power, but moving clears channels (so power can be distributed better through out the body). 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, dwai said:

It is always a good idea to do some moving practice after standing (taijiquan moving forms, etc). Prolonged standing puts load on the kidneys -- charges it up. You want to move the qi around so kidneys are balanced. One friend damaged his kidneys from too much standing -- hours on end. Standing builds power, but moving clears channels (so power can be distributed better through out the body). 

After a stand I get moving...walk around, tai chi, sometimes thats when the nunchuks  come out. 

• Like 1

So today (a couple days away from the initial side effects) I don't feel anxious nor am I dealing with weird thoughts, but my head feels like it's full of cotton and thinking is hard.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, dmattwads said:

So today (a couple days away from the initial side effects) I don't feel anxious nor am I dealing with weird thoughts, but my head feels like it's full of cotton and thinking is hard.

Kind of like your focus has remained “dispersed,” and you haven’t yet returned to a more “contracted” focus?

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Apech said:

Works for me :)

If “sane” people read some of what goes around here as “normal”, we’d all be considered “crazy” 😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, dwai said:

If “sane” people read some of what goes around here as “normal”, we’d all be considered “crazy” 😁

This describes to a T much of the reflected impression others give of me in life, at work in particular.

I find I often stink of zen without intending it and have come to relish my odd nature over time...

I chalk it up to the old adage...

And those who were seen dancing

were thought insane

by those who could not hear the music.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Just now, silent thunder said:

This describes to a T much of the reflected impression others give of me in life, at work in particular.

I find I often stink of zen without intending it and have come to relish my odd nature over time...

I chalk it up to the old adage...

And those who were seen dancing

were thought insane

by those who could not hear the music.

Beautifully articulated :wub:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ilumairen said:

Kind of like your focus has remained “dispersed,” and you haven’t yet returned to a more “contracted” focus?

Yes, and in addition being very sleepy.

1 hour ago, dmattwads said:

Yes, and in addition being very sleepy.

Another question which falls under honestly none of my business, but is there any sense of old (perhaps no longer so very useful) paradigms falling away or being “rewritten”? And could the sleep be “useful” (or perhaps “restorative”) to these ends?

Are you able to take short naps during the day to see what your subconscious presents to you in dreams?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, silent thunder said:

Brilliant

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ilumairen said:

Another question which falls under honestly none of my business, but is there any sense of old (perhaps no longer so very useful) paradigms falling away or being “rewritten”? And could the sleep be “useful” (or perhaps “restorative”) to these ends?

Are you able to take short naps during the day to see what your subconscious presents to you in dreams?

Yes very much so to the paradigm question, I feel like everything I thought was my self or my narrative from the past is changing.

When I am off I tend to nap a lot lately.

As far as dreams go, I find that lately I have had a lot more dreams about things way in the past than usual.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, dmattwads said:

Yes very much so to the paradigm question, I feel like everything I thought was my self or my narrative from the past is changing.

When I am off I tend to nap a lot lately.

As far as dreams go, I find that lately I have had a lot more dreams about things way in the past than usual.

"The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there."

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ilumairen said:

I have one for you now. After meditating do you find yourself sometimes bombarded with intrusive unpleasant thoughts that seem very out of character?