silent thunder

Blocking/Ignoring Topics

I suspect I already know the answer, but will ask for clarity.

As we are able to follow topics to ensure being notified of new content.

Is it also possible to block topics from entering the activity feed? 

• Like 2

No, sadly, you can only ignore members.

You can set your activity stream to show only content you follow.

• Like 1

Good timing to ask... I talked to Sean today about various 'requests'... Chat is primary... but I said that there was [by another member] a request to ignore topics.  I think that is a great feature.   So I found a plug-in for it and requested him to consider it.

Thanks for asking :)

• Like 5

We should have a button which is labeled "Ignore Topic" but actually causes the topic to appear about every third link we click, even when we are on other websites...

:ph34r:

• Like 2

A topic ignore button makes particular sense here - certain issues / topics can be considered crude and or more of a noise variety that are of no interest to quite a few participants here - it would be nice to be able to dial those frequencies out of our view. 

It is true that this is a value judgement and also that it would probably radically reduce certain views on certain topics - but marketing stats should not be the guiding light for not increasing the quality of the experience here. 

During the election last year many of us would have liked to have been able to come here and see no reminder what so ever of politics - but we could not leave that behind even here.  I'm not sure I ever want to discuss semen retention again nor look at it as a label of a topic. Some topics are solely maintained by pretty much only one contributor - some of whom contribute many times in a day every day - if they are people on ones ignore list it is just another topic that fills the page but nothing more.

This site allows for many people from many walks of life - from the very crude to very fine - diamonds in the rough and some very well cut - with an "it's all good" approach that is not found in many sites along these lines. It would be equally as well for all walks of life to be able to make it more digestible to their intent for being here. 

Im not interested in wrestling - some are. I don't read the sports section - some love it. In my news feeds I don't see sports and in my spiritual interests I prefer not to see current politics and kids stuff. I can overlook it - but the smell is still there - the words and headlines are designed that way - they have a definite off gassing that is enticing to some and off-putting to others and simply clutter to others still.

An ignore topics button makes sense.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Spotless said:

A topic ignore button makes particular sense here - certain issues / topics can be considered crude and or more of a noise variety that are of no interest to quite a few participants here - it would be nice to be able to dial those frequencies out of our view. 

It is true that this is a value judgement and also that it would probably radically reduce certain views on certain topics - but marketing stats should not be the guiding light for not increasing the quality of the experience here. 

During the election last year many of us would have liked to have been able to come here and see no reminder what so ever of politics - but we could not leave that behind even here.  I'm not sure I ever want to discuss semen retention again nor look at it as a label of a topic. Some topics are solely maintained by pretty much only one contributor - some of whom contribute many times in a day every day - if they are people on ones ignore list it is just another topic that fills the page but nothing more.

This site allows for many people from many walks of life - from the very crude to very fine - diamonds in the rough and some very well cut - with an "it's all good" approach that is not found in many sites along these lines. It would be equally as well for all walks of life to be able to make it more digestible to their intent for being here. 

Im not interested in wrestling - some are. I don't read the sports section - some love it. In my news feeds I don't see sports and in my spiritual interests I prefer not to see current politics and kids stuff. I can overlook it - but the smell is still there - the words and headlines are designed that way - they have a definite off gassing that is enticing to some and off-putting to others and simply clutter to others still.

An ignore topics button makes sense.

I was able to ignore a recent topic which matches your description. Only the tools to do that are not very clearly visible (and not intuitively placed).

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, dwai said:

I was able to ignore a recent topic which matches your description. Only the tools to do that are not very clearly visible (and not intuitively placed).

Perhaps you can share how you did that here - it may be quite some time if ever that an Ignore Topic button is created - in the mean time I would like to know how to work around that deficiency.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Spotless said:

Perhaps you can share how you did that here - it may be quite some time if ever that an Ignore Topic button is created - in the mean time I would like to know how to work around that deficiency.

I was able to from my phone. I can't seem to find the "unfollow post" option in the computer based interface.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Spotless said:

Does unfollowing a post remove it from view when looking at Activity / Topics?

It just stops sending us updates. I can still view the topic I unfollowed.

BTW I just realized that the "unfollow" option is at the top of the page...

596d09adc22b5_ScreenShot2017-07-17at2_01_45PM.thumb.png.d3848a67309da16f5e1c395b5d1637dc.png

596d09f608832_ScreenShot2017-07-17at2_03_00PM.thumb.png.19e2d5bb5fa97976cd194f4dec7ea5ff.png

Edited by dwai
Added screenshot of "Following"
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, dwai said:

It just stops sending us updates. I can still view the topic I unfollowed.

When I open TTB I click on Activity and then on Topics.

Is there a work around that can eliminate some of those Topics from showing up?

This is basically what I would like to see as an Ignore Topic button - a button that obscures the topic unless I explicitly go looking for it again. Or perhaps a button that allows me to put any topic I want in a scrap bin that I can always look at when I want but that goes there completely with regard to all future searches anywhere on the site for me. ( I would prefer the second of those two options).

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Spotless said:

This is basically what I would like to see as an Ignore Topic button - a button that obscures the topic unless I explicitly go looking for it again. Or perhaps a button that allows me to put any topic I want in a scrap bin that I can always look at when I want but that goes there completely with regard to all future searches anywhere on the site for me. ( I would prefer the second of those two options).

+1, I love those two options. Perhaps the tech team can comment here?

• Like 3

I thought that Off-Grid and Fuxi were created to at least partially solve these problems.  Everything related to "retention" gets dumped in Fuxi, everything political in Off-Grid.  Regular off-topic should be limited to discussions of bird baths and solar eclipses, nothing X-rated or likely to raise political hackles.  Isn`t this the way it already is?  If not, I suggest that it should be.  

Edited by liminal_luke
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, liminal_luke said:

I thought that Off-Grid and Fuxi were created to at least partially solve these problems.  Everything related to "retention" gets dumped in Fuxi, everything political in Off-Grid.  Regular off-topic should be limited to discussions of bird baths and solar eclipses, nothing X-rated or likely to raise political hackles.  Isn`t this the way it already is?  If not, I suggest that it should be.  

It is like that already. Retention in Fuxi and political or controversial in Off Grid.

I think what folks are asking for is that certain topics (ignored) not show up on their activity streams at all.

• Like 5

On 7/17/2017 at 3:06 PM, Spotless said:

The #1 priority is chat... and Sean needs to write a script to get everyone invited there...

I'll push this "Ignore Threads" to #2 as I think it is really a great idea.   But we're subject to the author's vision and 'ignoring' ability. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, silent thunder said:

bump

On 7/17/2017 at 3:06 PM, Spotless said:

I did press the request again recently... 

The plug-in I found and passed along says this:

Ignored topics won't appear in Activity Streams or search results.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, dawei said:

Much appreciated... thanks mate.

On 8/15/2017 at 9:00 AM, dawei said:

Does this function exist now? If so - where can I find it?

I looked in settings and it did not pop out - but I did not dig deep.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Spotless said:

Does this function exist now? If so - where can I find it?

I looked in settings and it did not pop out - but I did not dig deep.

I don't believe it exists as a standard feature of the forum software. 

• Like 1