Sign in to follow this  
rene

Time limit on editing?

Wanted to change out one word in a post, about a half hour later, for one that better conveyed, and guess what popped up. <_<

What's the scoop, troops?

Edit test

Edited by WuDao
test

said you cannot edit your own post ???

I need to find that and change that. 

• Like 3

Ok, so there is an 'Edit time restriction' but it is set to unlimited.   Ergo, no limit to editing one's own post.

I would need someone to share if they find on a small device if this setting is not allowing them to edit their own post.

Can you edit any of your older posts?

• Like 2

worked on topic post, will try others. including the one it failed on.

thanks!

• Like 1

okay it worked. all i can guess is during first go it took a super long time trying to load - and the pop up was a default for the timed-out attempt. all good now, thanks!

• Like 2

I'm getting more focused on smaller devices and we do want to know when something doesn't seem to work or is as easy as a computer.   There will always be some gap but I think it is useful to know the user experience.  

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, dawei said:

I'm getting more focused on smaller devices and we do want to know when something doesn't seem to work or is as easy as a computer.   There will always be some gap but I think it is useful to know the user experience.  

agree & appreciated. fyi, this is what popped up (found it in my history)

!

Sorry, there is a problem
You do not have permission to view this content.

Error code: 2F173/H

• Like 3

1 hour ago, WuDao said:

agree & appreciated. fyi, this is what popped up (found it in my history)

!

Sorry, there is a problem
You do not have permission to view this content.

Error code: 2F173/H

That "feels" more like the sporadic logout thing people were experiencing early in the migration.  Hasn't happened to me in a while but sometimes a refresh would "fix" it (and sometimes I'd have to log back into the forum again).

• Like 3

I always figured it meant I ticked off a moderator or steward and was up for examination. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Brian said:

That "feels" more like the sporadic logout thing people were experiencing early in the migration.  Hasn't happened to me in a while but sometimes a refresh would "fix" it (and sometimes I'd have to log back into the forum again).

Ack. I pasted over the wrong thing. The one I got said 'The time limit to edit or delete your post has expired' or similar.  Seems all good now, if i get that one again I'll convey. Tks!

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Marblehead said:

I'm glad I never had a small device.

14 minutes ago, WuDao said:

So was she.

sorry, couldnt resist :lol:

I could not stop laughing at these... and thought maybe we need a new sub-forum called, WTF  B)

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, dawei said:

I could not stop laughing at these... and thought maybe we need a new sub-forum called, WTF  B)

Oh that's brilliant!! I can just log in there directly!

• Like 3

I've had the time limit pop up for editing posts on both phone an laptop. Refreshing the pages cleared it up.

The most confusing error message I've received since the upgrade...Screenshot_20170530-151403.thumb.png.30c93869c214e9069a24689e330a8c9c.png

:o

• Like 5

I got the "time limit" message yesterday, trying to edit a post to fix a typo about two minutes after posting it.  A refresh fixed it.

I've never gotten the "BANNED!" message, though.

(Heck! I've never even been suspended...)

• Like 5

I propose that we put a time limit on editing and the deletion of posts.

It is really sad to look up some information and see half a thread filled with deleted posts.

What is wrong with 24hrs to edit or delete a post?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Jonesboy said:

It is really sad to look up some information and see half a thread filled with deleted posts.

I'd have to see if there is separate feature to edit vs delete.    Likely many edit and find something quick to fix.

I would agree with a delay on deleting.

• Like 2

I prefer not to.  I'm editing and reediting my stuff constantly, even stuff years old.  For better clarity and grammar.

Also there are times I'll edit in Addon> to answer a post from below, so that answering a trivial question doesn't 'litter' the thread with comments that are side lining. 

• Like 5

On 06/11/2017 at 8:10 AM, Brian said:

I've never gotten the "BANNED!" message, though.

(Heck! I've never even been suspended...)

Give it time; we have faith. ^_^

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Jonesboy said:

It seems the only permission setting is in reverse of waiting a period of time... but rather, you have until a certain period to edit and it stops.

11 hours ago, thelerner said:

I prefer not to.  I'm editing and reediting my stuff constantly, even stuff years old.  For better clarity and grammar.

Also there are times I'll edit in Addon> to answer a post from below, so that answering a trivial question doesn't 'litter' the thread with comments that are side lining. 

In a way, the permission that exists would stop folks from removing their content after, say 6 months or a year, whatever is set.

But it would kind of go against how I perceive Sean likes the idea of a member owning their content.  

I think we'll stick with the current method.

I do know there are a few who post and then remove a majority of their posts later but I guess folks should get used to quoting more :)

• Like 5

Although I reserve the right to change my mind I rarely edit or delete any of my posts.  I mean, really, once we have said something we can't unsaid it.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Marblehead said:

Although I reserve the right to change my mind I rarely edit or delete any of my posts.  I mean, really, once we have said something we can't unsaid it.

On second thought, you are right.

;)

Edited by Brian
  • Like 2

And mimicking reality, in which all things are transient, everything older than one year should be ,continually, deleted. 

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this