C T

Have U A Moment? Then please read this...

That's a beautifull article, thank you for that, thus I think it get lost in the conclusion.

Everything is right ? Yes

Everything is ok ? No

That's why we found a path, to walk.

Edited by CloudHands

I haven't read the entire article yet, it will take me some time - it is worth sipping rather than gulping.

The discussion of how we refer to and talk about enlightenment is very insightful and valuable.

There are strong parallels between how many people talk about enlightenment and how those they look down their noses at talk about God.

Always good to have someone hold a mirror up for us to look carefully at ourselves.

Thanks CT!

• Like 4

Sorry but you are talking utter nonsense.

Enlightenment is magical experience which is full of bliss and it's permanent, when there is no suffering and problems and yes your life become magical fixed with everything because Citta is working on highest level so your life and all possibility opens up naturally.

Being enlightened is not about being perfect and special and having all the answers

yes it is, otherwise you are not enlightenment.

Saying that "I'm not enlightenment but I'm not really not enlightenment" is basis of con artist and spiritual snake oil - just simple manipulation to make other believe that you are enlightenment because you hiding it.

You are con artist playing as a buddhist and messing people life like many others so called "smart teachers" you better go work for charity or something other stuff that make world happier rather then spreading such false, useless teachings messing with people mind and confusing them even more.

Edited by SeekerOfHealing

Enlightenment is magical experience which is full of bliss and it's permanent, when there is no suffering and problems and yes your life become magical fixed with everything because Citta is working on highest level so your life and all possibility opens up naturally.

Saying that "I'm not enlightenment but I'm not really not enlightenment" is basis of con artist and spiritual snake oil - just simple manipulation to make other believe that you are enlightenment because you hiding it.

You are con artist playing as a buddhist and messing people life like many others so called "smart teachers" you better go work for charity or something other stuff that make world happier rather then spreading such false, useless teachings messing with people mind and confusing them even more.

^_^

• Like 5

The vile nature of this post is almost offset by the amusing aspect of the ignorance it demonstrates.

Almost.

;)

No, I don't expect you to understand and, no, I won't explain any of it to you. Just be glad I'm not a moderator.

• Like 4

the Upanishads (and of course other schools) point the way.  There is no doubt,

"Fear not"

Edited by 3bob
  • Like 2

Proof that you can be brilliant and wise and experienced and helpful and someone will still come along who wants to say bad things about you.  Yet I suspect that Joan Tollifson, if she read this, would take it in stride.  This, too, is not ultimately separate from...oh, I don`t know how to say it but you probably know what I mean.  

I`ll repeat, once again, my favorite line from the piece: is anything really broken?  It`s a question of special important to those who, like the bum I quoted above, are seeking healing.

• Like 1

"investigate what it is you are looking for, and whether it is actually absent here and now, and exactly who or what would find it, possess it or lack it. You may find that nothing is missing, nothing is broken, nothing is needed. There is simply this, just as it is."

To me this is neo-advaitan nonsense, "A rampant pseudo-mysticism today in India, Europe, and USA, the distortion and prostitution of traditional Advaita or Nonduality into neo-advaita or pseudo-advaita, [and] a very popular form of Western spirituality."

www.enlightened-spirituality.org/neo-advaita.html

Neo-advaita, which attempts to articulate nondual spirituality, and often does a very good job of presenting some of the traditional advaita teachings (though usually, it seems, quite ignorant of the specific ancient sources for these teachings), can be fairly summed up by its main teaching: "Call off the search, You are already the Self, no need to seek for It, and no need to make any efforts or engage in any practices."

Now, traditional Advaita—as articulated by authentic sages from Yajñavalkya to Śaṅkara to Ramana Mahārshi in Hindu Vedānta—along with real nondual spirituality in all our genuine "pure mysticism" traditions, also would have one abandon any neurotic, selfish seeking for a desirable goal-state for "me."

But the obvious limitation of neo-advaita is that it tends to completely ignore the "ego-free holy aspiration" for real Divine expression that ensues for the true sages and saints once selfish seeking drops off in initial levels of awakening. Neo-advaita also completely ignores the "pre-requisite virtues" that Śaṅkara and all true masters have insisted upon for one to even be considered mature or "ripe" enough to hear the Absolute teaching. Thus, while traditional Advaita Vedānta speaks of the ultimate efficacy of Jñāna (Wisdom-Knowledge) alone, that is to say, Knowledge is the sole "way" or "means" for waking up, what so often gets ignored by neo-advaita is the great emphasis on what Shankara called the "four pre-requisites" for authentic Knowledge: namely, vairāgya (unattachment, dispassion), viveka (discernment of the abiding real from the fleeting unreal), mumukshatva (supreme earnestness or yearning for authentic liberation), and the shatkasampatti "six attainments," entailing shama-concentration, dama-control of the sense organs, uparama-contentment through dharma (virtue), titiksha-equanimity/forbearance, and shraddhā-supreme faith in the Self. The cultivation of all four pre-requisites or "attainments" (as the last category is explicitly named) is a sina qua non for Shankara, and he is often to be heard urging this cultivation of such virtues in his scriptural commentaries and independent treatises.

Therefore, to speak of "Knowledge alone" (the Knowledge that there is only the Self, Absolute Awareness) is the ultimate, purist/purest way of putting the matter of liberation, but realistically, pragmatically, there's much more to talk about in this Self-Realization zero-distance "journey" from here to HERE.

www.enlightened-spirituality.org/neo-advaita.html

the mud is not broken nor is water, air or ether, but who wants to remain only in, or insist on being stuck in the mud? 

Edited by 3bob
  • Like 1

there is no transcendent knowledge without the action of Grace which it is part of.

Thanks for sharing this amazing teaching, C T.

It echoes my own thinking that "there's no real problem, and no separate self to have the problem."

That approach to spirituality and awakening has been a large part of my path.

A quote from ACIM is, "The world has invented many remedies to its problems, but the one thing it hasn't done is questioned the reality of the problem."

It's nice to read something that reflects and confirms this teaching for me.

Thanks again!

• Like 2

"investigate what it is you are looking for, and whether it is actually absent here and now, and exactly who or what would find it, possess it or lack it. You may find that nothing is missing, nothing is broken, nothing is needed. There is simply this, just as it is."

I just wanted to make sure this is the only part of your post I am saying "Thank You" to.

Thanks for sharing this amazing teaching, C T.

It echoes my own thinking that "there's no real problem, and no separate self to have the problem."

That approach to spirituality and awakening has been a large part of my path.

A quote from ACIM is, "The world has invented many remedies to its problems, but the one thing it hasn't done is questioned the reality of the problem."

It's nice to read something that reflects and confirms this teaching for me.

Thanks again!

but this is only intellectual bubble which create more suffering if people will believe in such delusion that their self trying to attach and cling to non-self concept. 

• Like 1

Proof that you can be brilliant and wise and experienced and helpful and someone will still come along who wants to say bad things about you.  Yet I suspect that Joan Tollifson, if she read this, would take it in stride.  This, too, is not ultimately separate from...oh, I don`t know how to say it but you probably know what I mean.  

I`ll repeat, once again, my favorite line from the piece: is anything really broken?  It`s a question of special important to those who, like the bum I quoted above, are seeking healing.

I suspect that Joan Tollifson, if she read this, would take it in stride...

Maybe, maybe not. In her words:

"I can still bristle at times when “my authority” is challenged, and I can still be seduced by the image of myself as the one in the know or depressed by the story of being a failure... Sometimes—oftentimes—I am in delusion, believing in the mirage of self and other, trying to be somebody, thinking things shouldn’t be the way they are, looking for something “out there” to save me, pushing away the present experience..."

Tollifson, 2013.

http://www.lotusandrose.com/dewdrops/droplets/deep_soak.html

​...not that there's anything wrong with that...

I suspect that Joan Tollifson, if she read this, would take it in stride...

Maybe, maybe not. In her words:

"I can still bristle at times when “my authority” is challenged, and I can still be seduced by the image of myself as the one in the know or depressed by the story of being a failure... Sometimes—oftentimes—I am in delusion, believing in the mirage of self and other, trying to be somebody, thinking things shouldn’t be the way they are, looking for something “out there” to save me, pushing away the present experience..."

Tollifson, 2013.

http://www.lotusandrose.com/dewdrops/droplets/deep_soak.html

​...not that there's anything wrong with that...

Maybe, maybe not.  But if she didn`t take it in stride, if she got upset or bent out of shape, I suspect she`d take her upset in stride.  She`s not perfect -- none of us are -- and I find her upfrontness about her imperfection refreshing.

• Like 1

So she’s clearly not ‘Self-realised’, and has grasped this concept.Then what is her message? Her great breakthrough seems to be that ‘enlightenment’ isn’t the goal, which the 90%+  of humanity not looking for enlightenment have already achieved anyway. The only people she still needs to convince then are the 10% who are looking for something more, who are not content with 'false-self identification', and who are still deluded enough to think that it’s possible to go beyond this.

• Like 1

So she’s clearly not ‘Self-realised’, and has grasped this concept.Then what is her message? Her great breakthrough seems to be that ‘enlightenment’ isn’t the goal, which the 90%+  of humanity not looking for enlightenment have already achieved anyway. The only people she still needs to convince then are the 10% who are looking for something more, who are not content with 'false-self identification', and who are still deluded enough to think that it’s possible to go beyond this.

sigh...

thinks to say something....thinks better of saying something

sigh...

• Like 4

sigh...

thinks to say something....thinks better of saying something

sigh...

Did all that sighing for effect and then not saying anything satisfy a need to display a long suffering superiority?

does it really matter if Miss Tollifson is self-realized or not? 

For me, she wrote a rather insightful piece on her understanding of what enlightenment is and is not from her pov, and i thought it was a good one hence my sharing with the bums here. 

There is no need to scrutinize the messenger because for all you know, if one were to meet Miss Tollifson now, her views might have evolved (or not) - not that it actually matters much either way. Even though she may have more to add or perhaps subtract from this particular perspective, and it wont be any more surprising in the least if she does add or take something away, nonetheless, there is a certain truth in her words relative to the subject she was addressing. I was more interested in that, more so than her authority. In fact, i have stopped needing to ask for validation of authority because quite often its a silly yardstick anyway. So much huckstering on the interweb. 

• Like 2

I disagree with her conclusion that 'awakening' or 'realisation' is synonymous with not seeking enlightenment. To accept the imperfections of the now instead. I simply do not agree.

I disagree with her conclusion that 'awakening' or 'realisation' is synonymous with not seeking enlightenment. To accept the imperfections of the now instead. I simply do not agree.

And how would you present your view instead? 

Not that it matters very much, but I did not see that conclusion being drawn.