lessdaomorebum

Can qi be felt by anyone?

yes, Chi is real, but to become aware of it being sort of empty, making space for it is needed, I do not read the arrogance you see in Brian's post. but he is blunt, it's the same bluntness I appreciate in my teacher. Just saying how it is. Sometimes the world mirrors your own emotions.

And practice, I've been bedridden for months and am still very weak, but i do practice. meditation can be done lying down, even some playing with chi can be done laying down. i cannot do my standing posture for an hour as i like, but i can do standing posture for 5 minutes, and repeat that over the day.

In my country we have a saying: those who want find a way, those who do not want find excuses.

and this is the story of the teacup

http://bengtwendel.com/your-teacup-is-full-empty-your-cup/

love Bes

From the first page of this thread I keep thinking of the zen story where the master points at the moon and the pupil looks at the master's finger. We can quote zen stories at each other like arguing theologians, but that does not address the topic of this thread at all.

In my country we have a saying (okay, it's Bruce Lee): my way is not your way, and your way is not my way.

"It works for me, so it must work for you!"

"If I can do it, anyone can do it!"

That sort of sentiment is narcissism, thinking everyone is the same as us. Even Western medicine is slowly starting to realize that even powerful drugs work better for some people than others (and some seemingly not at all). And as I mentioned in my OP, while craniosacral therapy has been learned by more than 125,000 people in 110 countries, even the institute that is responsible for that teaching says that some people can't feel the craniosacral rhythm. Again, look to my early examples of music and art lessons, that some people are tone deaf or can't seem to draw a dot on the paper. As they say in someone else's country, 因人而異。

Well I may be a noob and all but that is pretty impressive:

https://youtu.be/2tb8bWbA678?t=7m20s

The bat part looks even cooler :D

The bat part is the easiest to explain if you talk to your physics teacher. The lasting effects of such silliness in general has been written about in a book by an American student of Shaolin. The monks pay a very heavy price for their antics over time; it ruins their bodies and brains. So much for the 'protection' of chee. Do your homework before you hurt yourself.

Look at the soft touch knockout artists (George Dillman and others) you can find on Youtube. They have been proven fake. People who don't know them can't be affected. They've tried.

The number of fakes in this field (intentional and unintentional) is amazing, so it is all fake to me until someone can explain it. Why? Otherwise I can show you a magic show and say it is real. I certainly don't know how magicians do their tricks. It looks real to me. It really does. I have zero proof that a magician is not really sawing someone in half or making them disappear, so it must be real! Natural phenomena are one thing; stuff humans do is another; humans are a wily bunch! Many in China have been scammed by fake qi masters.

"Feeling the field of energy between you and another person is an import first step in breaking down the local body mind sense of self. First you notice the energy between people you are close to (or attracted to), then everyone, then more broadly your environment. As it expands, one moves from feeling the energy with everything to more being the energy with everything.

The really big step is moving from "seeing" (individual - interaction with separate stuff) to "being" (increasingly noticing all as not separate)."

Jeff, if only I could once again experience that feeling one with everything as I did when I was 6 yrs. old. I do not know how that occured. :unsure:

Edited by Jim D.

"Feeling the field of energy between you and another person is an import first step in breaking down the local body mind sense of self. First you notice the energy between people you are close to (or attracted to), then everyone, then more broadly your environment. As it expands, one moves from feeling the energy with everything to more being the energy with everything.

The really big step is moving from "seeing" (individual - interaction with separate stuff) to "being" (increasingly noticing all as not separate)."

Jeff, if only I could once again experience that feeling one with everything as I did when I was 6 yrs. old. I do not know how that occured. :unsure:

Jim D.,

Deep down you know/remember... You opened your heart and a very powerful friend visited you. That "shared space" allowed you to kind of draft for a while. Touching deeper levels then you can currently realize consciously on your own. Subconsciously, even now you still feel/notice/receive surrounding energy transmissions. The key next step for you is to start consciously connecting/transmitting.

Best,

Jeff

• Like 2

Jim D.,

Deep down you know/remember... You opened your heart and a very powerful friend visited you. That "shared space" allowed you to kind of draft for a while. Touching deeper levels then you can currently realize consciously on your own. Subconsciously, even now you still feel/notice/receive surrounding energy transmissions. The key next step for you is to start consciously connecting/transmitting.

Best,

Jeff

I do not know how to do this.

I do not know how to do this.

There are many different approaches that you can take. Discuss it here, or pm?

In chakra terms, you are currently kind of stuck in receptive mode at the 5th/throat. Middle dan tien in Taoist terms. You subconsciously feel/notice stuff and probably become emotional about things and don't know why (may even overreact). Kind of like you take energy in, but don't know how to send/transmit it back out. Such a state can be problematic/challenging for a male as they do not have the same level of storage capacity as a woman.

• Like 1

Jeff, it seems to be that I cannot will myself to sense energy.

For instance, when I played racket ball I could sense where the ball was, and how it was coming off the opponents racket, how fast, where the court walls where as I moved in and out of position, and how to use the walls and the angle of my shot to my advantage. I just knew...and it happened.

I did not have to see the opponent. It was all sensing...Intuitive.

Is this what you are talking about?  

Jeff, it seems to be that I cannot will myself to sense energy.

For instance, when I played racket ball I could sense where the ball was, and how it was coming off the opponents racket, how fast, where the court walls where as I moved in and out of position, and how to use the walls and the angle of my shot to my advantage. I just knew...and it happened.

I did not have to see the opponent. It was all sensing...Intuitive.

Is this what you are talking about?

Hi Jim D.,

My point and the underlying energy is a little different than what you are descibing. Your description is a good example of someone in the "zone", but has not yet consciously noticed the energy flows of the environment and the situation. Responding naturally and appropriately like you described fits, but think in terms of the added component of feeling and noticing the underlying energy flows that one is responding to in your example.

A good analogy may be someone who is an excellent video game player (like your example) vs. someone who "knows" it is a video game and can notice the underlying code and possible cheat codes.

Best,

Jeff

• Like 1

Is it safe to say, that the energy flow of the wall, the velocity of ball, the movements of my opponent, the speed impact made by my racket with the ball, the pounding of my shoes, the echoes within the small space of the court, the response of those that are watching the game would be energy fields that I as an organism, am picking up. In Tai Chi it is called "listening."

I think that energy fields can be measured instrmentally. I am remembering an experiment about accelerating particles and being able to observe this happening. What was neat about it all was the experimenter said that the way the Uinverse was created could be shown in this experiment. But my point is this. There are energy fields all around us, as you pointed out, that seemed to be sensed at a level that is senseless...meaning, we as organisms have become so accustomed to these energy fields as to not be aware of them at all, save something extraordinary like atomic blast or gun shot. An analogy would be wearing a belt that is a little bit too tight because we have put on a little too much weight around the middle. At first there is an awareness, then we get use to it and hardly notice the tightness until we loosen the belt.

In Tai Chi, I am aware at first in learning it...I am aware of the Form Practice. But in time, Tai Chi becomes formless and I feel the energy flow within. But lets say as I parry will playing Grasp the Birds tail, I come to close to the tree I am near. Do, I slow down and stop, or stop immediately because I know it will be painfull because the tree's telescoping its compact energy out into the Universe, and I pick up in this energy? Or, do I stop because of my past experience with running into hard objects that caused harm to me?

Your feedback please.

The short answer is: YES

There are a few ways you can feel Qi:

1. Within yourself

2. From another person

3. From another living entity

4. From the universe

5. From another spirit/being/etc

While I do agree that there is a karmic influence, I think anyone can feel it now.

I would try this:

- get as comfortable as you can and release anything in your mind/body/spirit which binds you... just let go.

- put one hand out; focus on the palm

- on the other hand, use your index finger to point into the palm

- make very,very, very slow circles with the index finger and focus on the transmission from the finger to the palm.

- Your palm may feel various things but it should feel energy, pressure or heat.

This is just a local aspect of Qi :)

That turned me on sexually.  Stop doing that Dawei!

I neither felt qi nor was turned on. The getting turned on part is not a problem, but the qi part is. Folks, as I have said before, if it were so simple as doing some basic exercise, why would I have made this thread? But thank you for trying :)

Is it safe to say, that the energy flow of the wall, the velocity of ball, the movements of my opponent, the speed impact made by my racket with the ball, the pounding of my shoes, the echoes within the small space of the court, the response of those that are watching the game would be energy fields that I as an organism, am picking up. In Tai Chi it is called "listening."

I think that energy fields can be measured instrmentally. I am remembering an experiment about accelerating particles and being able to observe this happening. What was neat about it all was the experimenter said that the way the Uinverse was created could be shown in this experiment. But my point is this. There are energy fields all around us, as you pointed out, that seemed to be sensed at a level that is senseless...meaning, we as organisms have become so accustomed to these energy fields as to not be aware of them at all, save something extraordinary like atomic blast or gun shot. An analogy would be wearing a belt that is a little bit too tight because we have put on a little too much weight around the middle. At first there is an awareness, then we get use to it and hardly notice the tightness until we loosen the belt.

In Tai Chi, I am aware at first in learning it...I am aware of the Form Practice. But in time, Tai Chi becomes formless and I feel the energy flow within. But lets say as I parry will playing Grasp the Birds tail, I come to close to the tree I am near. Do, I slow down and stop, or stop immediately because I know it will be painfull because the tree's telescoping its compact energy out into the Universe, and I pick up in this energy? Or, do I stop because of my past experience with running into hard objects that caused harm to me?

Your feedback please.

I don't mean to hijack your hijack, but this reminds me of one of two woo-woo experiences I had back when I was doing tai chi gong ho many years ago.

I was on the upper floor of a set of racketball courts, where the open window is, sitting and waiting for a court to be free so I could do my "wax on, wax off" routine (as people referred to tai chi when I did it out on a nearby green space). There were a couple of actual racket ball players waiting too. We chatted a little, and tai chi was discussed. They were polite, but clearly thought tai chi was for pussies (if you will pardon my French).

Suddenly, a ball came whizzing through the window a foot or two from my head and in clear view of these two gentlemen. Without thinking my arm went up (it went up, not I extended it), and I caught the ball. Their attitude changed completely, and I was very surprised as well.

• Like 3

Your feedback please.

The response to a tree is your response. Based on whatever fits with the situation for you and most often is an autopilot like response. Maybe try sitting next to a big tree. Most are very calm and silent. Try mentally giving the tree a big hug, even merge with the tree if you can conceptualize it. See what you feel and get?

• Like 2

It is amazing how people like Yamu, and his student Brian, and many other persons on this thread, come only to offer their opinion without addressing the concerns I have raised, often blatantly saying things that demonstrate that they have not listened (one of Michael's favorite words) to what I have clearly written (and blue eyed snake thinks my cup is full!). If I get some time, maybe I will collect these in one post. Try these (mostly) new ones:

Some teachers insist you must feel chee, otherwise you are wasting your time. Richard Clear in Tennessee is one of those. Their argument is how can you direct chee or heal another if you can not sense it. Many teachers say just do the exercises and who cares what you feel.

Many people claim to use energy, but some chee gong teachers say that they often encounter such people who can not in fact project one iota of chee. It is so easy to fool oneself, as I have explained here more than once already.

Many people say bone marrow washing is a must to fully save up your hard work with chee. Others don't teach it at all and talk only of the dantyen.

Some teachers use microcosmic orbit from the beginning, even in books and videos; others insist that it is an advanced technique and extremely dangerous if done incorrectly.

You folks really should try to read my posts. Offhand, I can only rememeber Cheya and Marblehead attempting to answer my actual questions/issues. Some others have offered chee exercises or general advice (which is also appreciated). Many have talked as if they are just writing their general opinion without having read what I wrote. It is bizarre as I reread the thread wondering where I went wrong to get so many odd replies. I am trying hard to see myself as the one who is in error, but people recommend, by way of analogy, that I eat more eggs when I have already said that I love eggs and eat them every day. It just boggles my mind. In fact, I have gotten zero useful information relating to chee gong on this thread (unless Cheya's tai chi ruler works for me, but that is a future project).

Edited by lessdaomorebum

lessdaomorebum,

See if it's easier to get Goodman's first book, Foundation. It's got plenty to get you going, and I'm not sure you will find the newer book more helpful. If you watch his "thirty day challenge" you tube (3 minutes!), you could get started sooner.   :) 

Interesting to me, often when I do his poses, especially the lower hand pose (from the Tedx talk) I get a really good foot-to-hands- chi flow going! Very cool!

Thank you again for your kind advice. I started the 30 day challenge 30 days ago. While I can not say "Praise Jesus, I'm healed!", I do find it beneficial enough that I am continuing with it. I have been adding in some of the remaining nine exercises in his book Foundation. His take on the lunge is very promising. Right now his exercises and my thoracic area are not getting along well. The reason I am continuing is to see if Goodman's material can win over my thoracic area. I think it is possible.

For folks who might wonder what this is, the 30 day challenge is here. Other videos by him on the founder are here (easier) and here (more advanced). He has other videos on his Youtube channel where he teaches two other exercises. There is a lengthy interview with Joe Mercola, followed by a detailed trial workout with some interesting information (here is the workout by itself). He sells a two DVD set of his exercises.

If I don't delete my account here, I will report back in a couple months on whatever progress I have been able to make with Goodman's material. It definitely has potential. Thank you again, Cheya.

Juice and tai chi ruler are future projects.

Edited by lessdaomorebum
  • Like 1

Hi LDMB,

When I first started Goodman's two founders, my lower back made a few comments, odd because I didn't yet know that was the source of my problems. I found that paying strict attention to tightening the core, pulling in the gut, and making a strong attempt to lengthen while I held the pose, totally solved that for me. I just hadn't been paying enough attention to holding the core solid.

When done right, Goodman's exercises will try to make our posterior chains symmetrical side to side, which can address (at least) one component of scoliosis.  It will strengthen the upper back, helping with the kyphosis. And sucking in the gut properly lengthens the abdomen, also essential to reduce the kyphosis. Not surprising that your thorax area is making comments! So ... bodyworker's advice here is take it slow, give it time, and don't work it too hard while your body adjusts.

Goodman's new book puts more emphasis on downward traction on the pelvis from strong thigh adductor engagement, introduced in the first book in that face down exercise with bent knees. That exercise has been a little problematic for me, but you might find the intense adductor engagement helpful. Any chance you can find a Foundation trainer where you live? Have a session with a trainer like Mercola did with Goodman on youTube? Really helps to have someone else's eye on what you're doing.

Very glad to hear you're getting something out of it!

Edited by cheya
  • Like 1

This day is a new day. I walked my dog and felt the oppressive humidity and thought of Florida, and Louisiana when I was in boot camp. The DI's would give us a break by letting us unblouse our fatigue pants and take out out fatigue shirts from inside our pants so that we would not over heat from the strenuous training of the day.

You know, through out my life I wanted to be special and seen as special. So, I would say I belonged to this and I study that. It felt good inside and a little superior to others who did not practice what I practice or study what I study.

It has occured to me that there are traditionalist who's mission is to pass on the legacy. And there are those that pass on the Form of a style without really sharing the essence or feeling of that which they are trying to pass on. They either can't or want to keep it a secrete. And there are some who just do it for the money.

If feeling special helps to get through another day, or another year then fine. But it is better to have those attracted to you because you are who you were intended to be from the beginning.

Whether I can feel the energy coming off a person, or an object has not been an advantage other than in sports competiton. But outside of that I just have depended on my senses without mindfulness to feed information to my brain which interprets my experiences as good or bad.

I do not want to be special anymore because I have reached the age where it doesn't matter, and never really mattered in the first place.

• Like 1

I neither felt qi nor was turned on. The getting turned on part is not a problem, but the qi part is. Folks, as I have said before, if it were so simple as doing some basic exercise, why would I have made this thread? But thank you for trying :)

Nice that you have brought these two concepts together, getting turned on and feeling Chi.

The first one, getting turned on, is natural unless you have a psychological blockage.

The second one is a matter of knowing what "feeling Chi" suggests.

It's not something miraculous.  There is energy within our body.  I call it Chi.  This energy can be focused.  Healers do it all the time.  Martial Artists do it as well.  Most of us do it when in a catastrophic situation.  For the most of us it is a natural reaction to conditions.  

But it won't help you win the lottery so it does have limited uses.

• Like 1

I am a silent partner in a resturante franchise. One investor is Mexican and the other is Black. Well, they want to change the name of one of the resturantes to draw more business. They went back and forth, as I listened. They finally pick a name that satisfied both ethnic groups. The resturante is now called.

Notcho Mama's

They also sugested adding something to the menue that would be interesting and electrified. Deep fired Chi. Buy one get one free. Today only. Get em while they last.

• Like 2

This day is a new day. I walked my dog and felt the oppressive humidity and thought of Florida, and Louisiana when I was in boot camp. The DI's would give us a break by letting us unblouse our fatigue pants and take out out fatigue shirts from inside our pants so that we would not over heat from the strenuous training of the day.

You know, through out my life I wanted to be special and seen as special. So, I would say I belonged to this and I study that. It felt good inside and a little superior to others who did not practice what I practice or study what I study.

It has occured to me that there are traditionalist who's mission is to pass on the legacy. And there are those that pass on the Form of a style without really sharing the essence or feeling of that which they are trying to pass on. They either can't or want to keep it a secrete. And there are some who just do it for the money.

If feeling special helps to get through another day, or another year then fine. But it is better to have those attracted to you because you are who you were intended to be from the beginning.

Whether I can feel the energy coming off a person, or an object has not been an advantage other than in sports competiton. But outside of that I just have depended on my senses without mindfulness to feed information to my brain which interprets my experiences as good or bad.

I do not want to be special anymore because I have reached the age where it doesn't matter, and never really mattered in the first place.

Say hello to your dog.

I am a silent partner in a resturante franchise. One investor is Mexican and the other is Black. Well, they want to change the name of one of the resturantes to draw more business. They went back and forth, as I listened. They finally pick a name that satisfied both ethnic groups. The resturante is now called.

Notcho Mama's

They also sugested adding something to the menue that would be interesting and electrified. Deep fired Chi. Buy one get one free. Today only. Get em while they last.

Has someone stolen Jim's account?

• Like 1

But it won't help you win the lottery so it does have limited uses.

Well, forget it then!

As mentioned, I have felt chee-like sensations before.

When I would do tai chi, every few weeks or months I would feel something running along my right temple and eye, or right upper lip, or right calf and ankle. Can't seem to remember the left side doing any of this. I would relax and tune in to it, but nothing more would ever come of it.

Sudden loud noises make me react like I have PTSD or something, and a weird, powerful sensation will shoot down both arms, sort of as if all the blood is rushing to the fingertips (but it's not a blood thing, rather like a nerve thing). Perhaps that is chee, but that is all there is to it in terms of feelings.

These sorts of things are limited in scope, short or momentary in duration, and I have not been able to get anything more out of them (regarding Cheya's suggestion of Meredith).

Edited by lessdaomorebum

So ... bodyworker's advice here ...

One of the things that impressed me with Goodman in the Mercola interview was when he talked about how he didn't start out with a theory of how these things should be, but rather shaped the theory out of what he came up with in addressing his own back issues. He had been a personal trainer for years, a body builder, and was then in chiropractic school, but he went beyond what he had learned. Another thing that impressed me was when he said it wasn't a cure all (though it seemed maybe he was paying lip service to that).

I have had lots of different body workers work on me. There is a strong tendency for them (and doctors, nurses, chiropractors, et cetera) to work from theory alone, especially since they don't seem to realize that the clients they can't help leave them not because of reasons within the client (they generally blame the client), but because the body worker is unable to help them. As I have said before in different words, I understand that if something has worked for 99 people there is a strong temptation to think it must work the same for number 100, especially when it is one's profession (and so one feels the need to have an answer). Resist that temptation; take problem client's as a gift from your guardian angel of body work; they are there to help you grow as a body worker.

Edited by lessdaomorebum
  • Like 1

Chi can not be fried, drowned by water, cut by swords or ripped apart by tigers.Chi is not a thing. If one identifies them selves as matter feeling chi could be difficult.

To feel chi put a little sand in a tea cup open your eyes wide and blow into the cup. If you get sand in your eyes that is the power of chi felt by the stinging in your eyes.

We are swimming and saturated by chi every moment so it is not far away. If you look for it it will be an endless search.If chi does not matter mind will not be disturbed. Good Luck

• Like 1

Chi can not be fried, drowned by water, cut by swords or ripped apart by tigers.Chi is not a thing. If one identifies them selves as matter feeling chi could be difficult.

To feel chi put a little sand in a tea cup open your eyes wide and blow into the cup. If you get sand in your eyes that is the power of chi felt by the stinging in your eyes.

We are swimming and saturated by chi every moment so it is not far away. If you look for it it will be an endless search.If chi does not matter mind will not be disturbed. Good Luck

You must be a friend of Jim's.