GrandTrinity

What herbs do you take and why?

I just read a few posts into the thread.. read aboutt aking oxygen supplements...

I have heard that it is actually OXYGEN that breaks down your body. that it is oxygen that ages you.

maybe a good reason to master the art of breathing...

??

Those are some excellent juice recipes. I think a collection of health-oriented recipes, with indications for use (like you just wrote) would go best in contributed articles. My two cents. So here's a question for you: what kind of juicer do you prefer? I'm looking for one that is easy to clean, effective at expressing juice, and not way too expensive- personal recommendations go a long way. I used to have a Green Life twin-gear, but the crappy plastic on the gears broke, and i'm thinking maybe i ought to switch brands. Thoughts? - j

I use the Jack Lalanne. Its opening is large enough to take in a small apple w/out cutting. I drop in the suckers seeds and all. So far it works.

Only gripe is it takes longer to clean then to juice. But that is probably pretty common.

Peace

Michael

So here's a question for you: what kind of juicer do you prefer? I'm looking for one that is easy to clean, effective at expressing juice, and not way too expensive- personal recommendations go a long way. I used to have a Green Life twin-gear, but the crappy plastic on the gears broke, and i'm thinking maybe i ought to switch brands. Thoughts? - j

I like the Whizser the best. It's compact and small, but I like it because I travel very often. (I'm more prone to stay nutritionally healthy if things are made easier for my trips) I also like the Jack Lalanne. It's an excellent machine for home use and although it must be cleaned after every use-(this is always a good idea with ANY juicers because if you leave pulp/larger biodegrable substances in it, it will attract pests that you would probably not want to stay around dwelling in your home (gnats, roaches, ants, flies, I suppose this all depends on where you live :P )

I'm likely going to make a Nutrition section in practice discussion that way people are more free to express ideas and the occasional (at least I hope so) mini-discussion for anything that comes to mind. (or am I mistaken on the premise that contributed articles section is a more kind of "read me" feel?)

grateful for the health-minded learning and its benefits,

-Jessica

OK, results of the first field test are in. After a trip to the shops, I have now tried:

AAA Juice

Not sure about this one. I was hampered by the fact that I could only get processed beetroot. I decided to try it anyway, even though it would probably make a large difference. Also, it meant that I couldnt gauge how big one should be (or how big 1/2 a one should be). So I think I overdid it on the beetroot :) Very, very red! I'll try this again, but with (much) less beetroot next time.

Ginger Jolt

I liked this one. Quite an interesting kick, and a good taste too (though I have always liked apple and pear combo). Might (again) have used too much ginger, but I'll play with that. Actually, very nice and different.

Biggest problem with this one (and some of my own) is that I had to keep stiring it in the glass in between drinking it, else it separated too much. What's that about? Is there something I can do to fix that?

Not a huge cherry fan, so not too sure about trying The Arouser, and couldnt get good fruit for the Digestive Cocktail, but will try at another shop at the weekend.

I'm likely going to make a Nutrition section in practice discussion

Cool, post away :)

the premise that contributed articles section is a more kind of "read me" feel?

Yeah, as I understand it, the plan for the articles section is that it will contain more complete writings rather than being questions or threads in that sense. Sean has some cool changes planned for it, which should combine the best of both worlds.

Cheers

Well, the guy who wrote your article points out that the "green power" isn't as sturdy as the "green life", and on checking the exact name, i've got the "green power". So i'm not the only disappointed user. The twin gears are very solid steel, but they're mounted on pastic screws (who engineered that, anyway?) so they eventually wear out, crack, split, and then break entirely. Mine lasted five years. Maybe that's a good lifespan for a juicer, but at $500, i wasn't all that impressed. For half a grand i want something that'll last more like 20 years, or at least 10. Besides that, it does make great juice, although you'll seriously want a compost pile to discard all the pulp to, cuz' the pulp comes in very large amounts. I've refrigerated the juice and it tastes much the same after a day in a sealed mason jar in the fridge as it does right out of the juicer. The pulp is also pretty dry, which suggests that the claims about the efficiency of the 2-gear system are accurate. Mine was -not- portable. Oh, and you can use it to make (very dry) nut butters, mochi, whatever mashed stuff you want, but i didn't do much more than make some almond butter and some pure fruit sorbet. On the former, it's cost effective to just buy raw almond butter at the store. - j

I just read a few posts into the thread.. read aboutt aking oxygen supplements...

I have heard that it is actually OXYGEN that breaks down your body. that it is oxygen that ages you.

maybe a good reason to master the art of breathing...

??

2853[/snapback]

hahaha that is a load of shit.

oxygen is what keeps you clean, oxygen is what keeps you alive.

don't believe me? stop breathing for about 5 minutes and then see what state you are.... in fact just stop breathing until your priorities entirely change, garunteed after about 30 seconds your highest health priority is that next breath.... all the herbs, all the supplements dont mean anything when you need that next breath.

oxygens role in the body is to take out the trash. active oxygen (charged with sunlight energy) or O1- readily bonds with anything nasty in your body... and it is excreted.

e.g. CO (carbon monoxide) bonds very quickly with O1- and is exhaled as CO2.

the problem these days is there isn't as much oxygen around anymore, especially not in cities. and besides now along with what little oxygen there is we have all kinds of other crap we get with every breath. copious amounts of CO (which has a greater affinity for hemoglobin than regular oxygen), asbestos (from brake pads) lots of sulfur and nitrogen waste products.... all kinds of shit, with every breath you get a whole new load of toxins. couple that with all the crap in tap water (if you drink that shit) and in our foods (unless you eat only organic vegetables and fruit and nothing else) you end up with toxic overload. we have more toxins than oxygen so we get overloaded the cells start to break down and become infested by parasites.

essentially, at the most basic level, all disease is caused by one of two things (usually both working together), anoxia (not enough oxygen) and dehydration (not enough water). over 80% of americans are chronically dehydrated, and probably 98% of the world doesn't get enough oxygen anymore.

consider this, we are mostly water (more than 70%)... and for pretty much everyone on this planet now, that water is very dirty, murky water with lots of parasites swimming around in it. we are all dirty fluid filled sacs.

oxygen is what cleans up that water, just like oxygen is what cleans up water in nature (through waterfalls, riffle sections, etc all increase dissolved oxygen levels and improve water quality).

using oxygen supplements (particularly stabilised oxygen in water, which means the O1- molecules have been stabilised into O2 molecules, but readily break apart in the body into O1- molecules again) is a way to get more of that cleaning life giving oxygen back into us. oxygen supplements are great, i have been using it a couple of months now and well worth the money.

as for antioxidants, well the name is very deceiving. antioxidants are actually vitamins and minerals, what they do is provide a protective coating to HEALTHY cells, so that they are not scavegened and excreted by oxygen. oxygen gets rid of unhealthy and parasite infested cells, thats its job. cleaning us up. i stress again.

chi kung... the practice of chi... usually some form of breathing. what do chi kung and pranayama do for the body? usually they are both associated with deep breathing, over time they increase the bodies ability to uptake and hold oxygen within, increasing the pressure (this is blatantly stated as the aim of iron shirt for example). more oxygen in your body, the cleaner and healthier you will be.

in fact if we were to get plenty of oxygen daily, we would actually live longer and healthier. couple that with an entirely alkaline diet (e.g. just papaya and pineapple) and theoretically we could live forever.

oxygen aging you.... haha whoever told you that is grossly misinformed.

check it out for yourself. ed mcabes book "flood your body with oxygen" is a fantastic and complete reference on the subject of oxygen.

This is more a recipe note. Few things are as fast, healthy and easy to make as a good Hummus.

Into a blender put: drained can of chick peas(garbanzo), olive oil, bit of salt and what ever you have on hand. I drop in carrots, bit of lettuce!, garlic, dried tomatoes, salsa, tahini .. anything you have around the kitchen. Blend on low speed. If its not blending add more liquid, salsa, oil even water.

Peace

Michael

To help balance out that spectrum of great and useful herbs, I searched out one of my lists from a former herbal intensive class I took years ago.

Here are some HARDOUS HERBS you guys should look out for:

Plant/ Potential Danger

Borage/ Harmful in large doses; may cause liver

damage and cancer

Broom/ Toxic; diuretic

Chaparral/ May cause illness; banned in the U.S.

Coltsfoot/ May cause cancer

Comfrey/ May cause liver damage and cancer (but

not through external use)

Foxglove/ Potent heart toxin

Pennyroyal/ The essential oil may cause convulsions in

large doses; possibly harmful to pregnant

women.

Pokeweed/ May cause respiratory paralysis and

convulsions

Rue/ May cause skin to be more susceptible to

damage when exposed to sunlight

Sassafras/ May cause cancer

The following herbs are potentially dangerous and should be used with caution:

Plant/ Potential Danger

Aloe Vera/ The juice can be a powerful laxative

when used internally (unless labeled)

Ephedra/ Should not be used by people with

heart conditions, high blood pressure,

diabetes, or thyroid disease

Juniper/ Should not be used by women who are

pregnant or by people with kidney disorders

Licorice/ Excessive amounts may cause fluid

retention and high blood pressure

Yohimbe/ Side effects include nausea, vomiting,

high blood pressure, palpitations,

insomnia, and tremors

I use chaparral all the time, it is NOT banned in the US, and it only has been proven to cause illness to people who were taking TONS of it and already had liver problems. The Tohono O'odham have been using it for generations, see http://www.uapress.arizona.edu/samples/sam327.htm

I combine it with milk thistle just in case.

I agree with some of the warnings, but comfrey? You can use that internally in small amounts for up to a month before it becomes dangerous. It is AWESOME for broken bones.

Pokeweed is awesome in small amounts.

also i think the coltsfoot one is a bit of a scare campaign.

its illegal to sell the dried herb here (probably there in america too) but you can grow it. i believe its illegal because of its great benefit... these days if something natural like that is made illegal, that is when i think "must be something really good about that".

damn pharmaceutical industry.

actually it is one of the best lung tonics around.... can smoke it too. helps repair lung tissues and is also an expectorant.

perhaps abuse may cause problems, but then again what doesn't cause problems with abuse???

as for aloe vera, the laxative part is the yellow coloured part of the plant contained in the leaf, if you prepare it properly and just get the white flesh, you can drink it internally no problem without laxative effects. its great for the digestive tract. little fruit juice or shake with fresh aloe vera goes down a treat.

Most herbs that are on the shelf are safe if taken in moderation, and effective if the customer has researched his or her health problem, understanding the causes of the problem and the benefits and limitations of herbs. There are many herbs that I do not generally recommend. Chaparral "sale" has been questioned and banned in the United States, although it did not remain. It has only been removed from the FDA's "safe list", which I am sure that Mr. Falk knows the name of. *I'm not sure about the technical term, off-hand...but anyway! It may or may not have been the cause of health problems. Because there is not sufficient evidence to implicate it in health problems, and because it appears to be safe when used in a traditional way and when taken in recommended doses for limited time periods, it is not banned in other countries. And when you are dealing in business, unless you have tons of insurance, money, and disclaimers, you just cannot recommend herbs (and there are a few) that have a questionable result. But there are many that I like to use (including the sassafras and comfrey) and since being trained and reading into many huge reference books and gaining a lisence *not to mention many years of practice, generations in the family* have allowed me a sense of security when actually USING them and implementing them as needed.

A reference on Chaparral; just wanted to show some sources...

This has an opinion going on both sides of the coin

Also, taken from this site: some interesting stuff to read about it some details on it, how to use it, what it is, etc.

And so...apparently only the "sale" is prohibited. Sounds alot like some other things that are illegal, but if you know how, you can somehow find a way to get your hands on them.

There are a hundred or more varieties of plants that are called chaparral. The one that is used medicinally is Larrea divaricata.

This is for Lozen, you may want to check this out, I'm not sure if you have heard about any controversy yet but the FDA is trying to put a ban out on this. The only reason I even put that on the list, is because the information was given to me during an herbal intensive class...and that list was more like a "guide to watch and be careful with" and NOT so much a "do not use this stuff its bad for you" kind of list.

We can all learn from each other! It was nice to have something to research about, thanks for pointing it out. Keeps me on my toes...

-Jessica

Larrea was pulled off the market because of three cases, but the liver toxicity was never proven and now it is back on. I saw it on sale at Wild Oats the other day. Yes, there was a warning.

But I for one do not believe everything the FDA says, some of which I feel is sometimes politically motivated. Re: creosote, if you look at the three cases closely, you will see that these people ALREADY had compromised livers and they were taking excessive amounts of capsules...powdered form.

In any case, I always combine creosote with milk thistle... I would not give it to someone with a compromised liver or who was elderly or very young, I don't use it for over a month, and I never give people isolated, concentrated compounds in capsules. The whole plant, for the whole person.

Sometimes I read studies just to keep up with popular opinion, but if you get to know the plant, you get to know the plant. I know creosote. I have sat and meditated next to it, gathered it, processed it, made tea, tinctures, oils, salves with it, used it on myself and others. I don't need to take a class or get a certificate or a license or be a member of the AHG or switch blood lines or have expensive insurance, lawyers, or disclaimers to say it is SAFE for people without compromised livers.

But if you need a scientific explanation for how it works, it has resin that inhibits aerobic activity in the mitochondria of other plants, this makes it useful as an antifungal, antibacterial and antiviral because it actually prevents bacteria and fungal cells from growing or reproducing. It also has NDGA aka nordihydroguaiaretic acid (yes I looked that up) which is an awesome antioxidant compound that prevents destruction of tissues (internal and external) by free radicals and helps ease inflamed tissue and stuf flike allergies, joint pain, etc. It's also a good digestive bitter (read: liver herb) internally and is great for people who have trouble digesting and processing fats. I have never used it for excema or psoriasis but have learned it is helpful in these dry conditions. Also you can use it externally for cuts, scrapes, insect bites, athlete's foot, candida (in a sitz bath), and interally for strong colds or flus, bacterial infections or fungal infections.Also for asthma and arthritis.

Sorry if I am ranting, but I LOVE this plant and hate to see it maligned. It is good to read up and be safe for sure, but really creosote is not the one to worry about...

I just bought a rice cooker with a steamer rack, similar to this one:

33006lg.jpg

Amazingly easy to cook with. Rice below, vegies up top, press a button and forget about it. It cooks to the right time, automatically, and then keeps the meal warm for hours. The flavors of the steamed vegies drip back down into the rice, yummmmy. (You can even put sausages, shrimp, or other meats in there with it, of course.)

It just struck me that this is the perfect set-up to cook with chinese herbs. Some Ch. herbs are very tasty, just cook 'em in with the rice, and - again - yummmmy, eat 'em up with the meal.

consider this, we are mostly water (more than 70%)... and for pretty much everyone on this planet now, that water is very dirty, murky water with lots of parasites swimming around in it. we are all dirty fluid filled sacs.

oxygen is what cleans up that water, just like oxygen is what cleans up water in nature (through waterfalls, riffle sections, etc all increase dissolved oxygen levels and improve water quality).

<sigh> Its unfortunate that we have to have things like bottled water shipped via a truck, and oxygen bars, as a necessity to deal with that infested, murky water, and reduced oxygen in the air today. But I'm probably preaching to the choir here. :)

Undoubtedly, too little is not a good thing, but let's be cautious in our experiments too. Even clean air isn't 100% oxygen, and there's probably for a reason for that. Increase a little at a time and monitor the results. Increase intake until you go too far with it, then ease off.

Little experience in this line... I was given oxygen supplementation in my drinking water and tea when I was not in great shape several years ago. Had a bronchitis that had I had Nyquil'd right into walking pneumonia (yep, I knew it was stupid even then but need for sleep overwhelmed reason). A friend I was staying with did nothing else but this to try to help me, for 3 days, and I watched her, she wasn't doing anything outside the recommendations she'd been given.

Now, at that point in the illness, months after it started, I felt reasonable well most of the time, and quite able to exercise rigorously, I only had shallow breathing and that damn cough. But after a day, I started getting really, intensely sick to the point where I was literally cussing her out over this and nearly refused to cooperate further. Luckily she was patient and stayed with me on it. By the third day I had stabilized and felt much better. Although my breathing was still somewhat affected for months after that, enough had cleared out that my cough was gone, and overall I felt much better than when I had started.

As Niemad suggested, it appeared that the extra oxygen allowed my body the opportunity to move out some of the problems. But a detox event can really suck if you're not prepared for it either (mentally or physically... I had fasted on water for days many times before, I thought I knew what detox felt like!)

<sigh> Its unfortunate that we have to have things like bottled water shipped via a truck, and oxygen bars, as a necessity to deal with that infested, murky water, and reduced oxygen in the air today.  But I'm probably preaching to the choir here.  :)

3125[/snapback]

yeah im with ya.

it sucks horribly that these are the current conditions.

oxygen supplementation is going good for me. it helps me sleep better, helps me wake up easier, more energy, so forth. i dont use a hell of a lot.... not from caution but from cost hahaha. i want to drink a whole bottle of it at once and see what happens ;) but i dont cos i cant afford it.

master Mantak Chia says that swallowing your saliva is better than th best oxygen pill. He says swallow it 50x/day

Some masters say generate and swallow you salive 1000 times a day.