shanlung

Can the Tao be found in a 66 hours work week?

Can I answer this with another question? Is it your practice to be condecending?

To be fair Shanlung, you do come across as a wee bit obnoxious. 

Going back to what I had written, I can see why you and others can find that offensive.

I mentioned before half the time I wrote with tongue in cheek and half the time foot in mouth.

Sometimes I write with both tongue in cheek and foot in mouth at same time.

I got a big mouth even if my photos lied to you as to the size of my mouth.

But at time of writing, I honestly have no malicious thoughts in my head when my fingers did their work on keyboard.

Why should I?  when that we are here together indicated we have more things in common even if we may not have the same sense of humour

shanlung, is your wife with you currently?

From my last posting, and this posting,  you got my answer.

Thank you all for your kind thoughts.

Ivan is back home with my wife.

In a beautiful little white urn.

From my Facebook posted below:

I was with Ivan from halfway round the world and separated by 5 time zones. Seeing him from photos taken by my wife and send to me via whatsapp. I suggested how to position him to make him comfortable on his favourite pillow and to roll up towel under his head for pillow. 

You all know I am in Riyadh working a 66 hours week and up to 72 hours week on busy week. 

We all have to get on with living even while close companion walks on. Ivan passing trigger a paradigm shift in me. That life is indeed very short was brought home to me in a way no words can convey.

I decided to get on with my life. The day after Ivan passing, I gave my notice of resignation. I agreed to stay on for 3 months to allow a replacement for me and for transistion.

I probably will resume on my interrupted retirement and checking out of likely country and places for me and my wife.

An Idiotic Taoist with a bleeding heart

• Like 5

How do you get your wife to stay in the urn? :)

Do feel free to write as you wish in my moment of pain.

You do enjoy twisting the knife into my gut.

However that will be the very last words I see of you ever.

The Tao cannot be found in any hour nor week. It is beyond space and time, it is never found.

It does not exist - it only shames its seeker. The true Tao is a DRAGON PERMEATION. That's why Daoists are stuck in a lazy lifetime of butterfly fetish while Christians RIDE THE DRAGON.

WWJD.

The Tao cannot be found in any hour nor week. It is beyond space and time, it is never found.

It does not exist - it only shames its seeker. The true Tao is a DRAGON PERMEATION. That's why Daoists are stuck in a lazy lifetime of butterfly fetish while Christians RIDE THE DRAGON.

WWJD.

You know that's really all Bullshit, don't you?

Christians don't even have a dragon because they killed them all.

It is not found... it is obtained/contained.  See LZ 39 and ZZ speaking of those who 'obtained/contained the Dao'...

• Like 2

It can be found at any second of those 66 hours per week, but 66 hours makes it hard not to be distracted. Even christians have sunday as a rest day

• Like 1

Even christians have sunday as a rest day

Or is it a day of remembrance as to what kind of person they are supposed to be being?

• Like 1

Shanlung

I am very sorry for your loss. 

I hope your happy memories help you along your way, and that the 66 hour weeks of the KSA leave you some ease for yourself.

• Like 1

Shanlung

I am very sorry for your loss. 

I hope your happy memories help you along your way, and that the 66 hour weeks of the KSA leave you some ease for yourself.

I see a light at the end of this tunnel of 66 -72 hour work week.

I have given 3 months notice to allow for hand over.  

And extended a bit beyond that time even because the person coming to take over had problems with getting of visa into KSA.

I was so glad that he came eventually, kind of strange but true even if he was to boot me from my chair.

My next contract is contract 747 or contract 380 starting on 8 Aug 2015.

Taking me back to that little porcelain urn and a couple of months with my wife before I set out on the back

of the ox onto where ever the Tao might lead me to.

Idiot not certain he ever left the Path or if the Path left him  regardless on a 72 hour week or on a 0 hour week.

I am thinking of the story/saying:

Student: What if I don't have time to meditate for 30 minutes a day?

Master: Then meditate for an hour a day!

I think work can be a good challenge and way of cultivating one's self.  However, moderation is important.  I feel optimal with 25-35 hrs/week of work, more can be draining, leave little time for other things, and less makes me feel not as grounded.  I am a 25 year old male with little money but no debt, so I can make a few thousand dollars sustain myself for a while, meaning I don't have to work much.  I don't know other people's financial situations here, but I can easily imagine myself being in a situation where I need to work well over 40 hours a week.  In this case, I'd have to make the best of my circumstances, and might be able to thrive off of the challenges.

To me, Tao is not "found" but always present.  As we grow, our senses open and we begin to feel it in different ways.  Over time, we can even develop a relationship with it.  I think anybody can do this, regardless of their economic situation.  However, I do think that we do have freedom to navigate the world with, and that there are better ways to cultivate awareness.  A monk will experience the world in a very different way than a person who works 60 hour weeks as a chef, even though both are just as capable of being in harmony with Tao.  Moderation seems to be a key, so I think any excess, whether in work, food, sleep, sex, even meditation or qigong practice, can have a negative effect on health.  Who determines the excess?  Ourselves - thru personal experience and experimentation.

Edited by futuredaze