while we are at it how about asking where the primary ego is; heart, head, ass or all three?

Edited by 3bob
  • Like 1

Where is the seat of the Original Spirit (Buddha Nature, Xing, Yuan Shen, Shiva)?

Some old buddhist traditions like Dzogchen locate it in the heart,

some old taoist sources like "The Secret Of the Golden Flower" locate it in the head in the region of the eyebrows.

Texts of newer schools which were amalgamized out of buddhist and taoist sources like the text in the book "Taoist Yoga" came to the compromise that the seat of primordial spirit is in the heart, but its cavity is in the head between and behind the eyes or eyebrows.

I also remember that the first Kundalini Yoga book I've read, an old used book from the 70's or even 60's which lacked today's new-age-touch, described that the primordial energy Shakti had to rise to the top of the head and then forward to the eyebrow region where it would fuse with primordial spirit Shiva, which was located there and that this would lead to enlightenment.

Opinions, other sources?

I haven't read the entire thread, but I have a quote that directly addresses this.

Wang Mu's Foundations of Internal Alchemy (tl. Pregadio):

The Secret Text of Green Florescence says:

When the Heart cannot be quiescent, this is not simply due to the Heart itself. Essentially, Spirit makes use of the Heart, and the Heart makes use of the Spirit. They make use of one another, and because of this, thoughts and desires are born. If the Heart seeks quiescence, it is first of all necessary to control the eyes. The eyes are the residences for the roaming of the Spirit: Spirit roams through the eyes, and makes use of the Heart. Therefore restrain Spirit through the eyes and cause it to return to the Heart.

According to the principles of Taoist alchemy, Spirit is stored in the Heart and is issued from the eyes. In the practice of inner observation, the emphasis is on "observation": when the eyes are used to observe inwardly, one's thinking becomes focused, and the Original Breath surges; one internally illuminates oneself, all concerns become empty, delusive thoughts vanish, and one's Heart is calm and untroubled. This is the third step for entering the state of quiescence. An anonymous master said:

The Spirit of Heaven is issued from the Sun, the Spirit of Man is issued from the eyes. Wherever the eyes go, the Heart also goes.

Therefore when the alchemical masters sit to practice, they coagulate Spirit and stabilize breathing, press the tongue lightly against the upper palate, concentrate the Heart and the eyes inwardly, look down at their Cinnabar Field, and can rapidly enter the state of quiescence.

Edited by Daeluin
  • Like 1

while we are at it how about asking where the primary ego is; heart, head, ass or all three?

usually the ass.

judging by some recent conversations.

I'm going to give a cope-out response... although I have already responded :D

I think it is similar to Deci's post that "there is no location".

I am a big adherent to the Taiji Pole; Crown><Root... straight down the middle... 3 dan tians; 7 chakras.

But this is just a physical location in the physical body... I'll ignore whether there is really anything physically to consider.

As the "Supreme Commander", the Heart Rules. The spirit rest herein.

But the various energy centers call upon the spirit, as do the organ energies, and the mind, and the physical exercise of the body. Which makes us consider not just Shen (Spirit) but Ling... and then Hun-Po.

IMO:

De is to Dao, as Ling is to Shen.

Primordial Spirit is simply waiting to return...