Sign in to follow this  
Tao of Buttercup

Vulcans vs Klingons

Yea, the Six and Gaius relationship was so well played out, the actors playing both those characters were impressive and their chemistry was palpable. I mean, what they did with their story and how well did Gaius portray a man in the depth of unsurity about a projective hallucinatory relationship? So many great elements.

The sub plots and side stories were really well woven into the main line. The more I think about it, the more that series impresses me.

Yup, BG was refreshingly addictive, as Homer Simpson would put it. I loved Caprica and can only guess how the males reacted -- the sexiest character ever. Reminded me of "real" stars, European legends of the older movies.

As for acting, I was barely tolerating Adama-senior, he's supposed to be strength and courage incarnate and he's such a drama queen, every time things get rough he starts out by throwing a tantrum. One too many for my taste. Or ten.

Loved the astrological twist of the plot. The Twelve Colonies! Far out! :D

• Like 1

I watched probably every episode of the original series at least twice when I was a kid!

One of the things that struck me was how the 4 main characters are like our typical shifting awareness and makeup:

Bones is our instinctive center guard for health and all things dangerous

Scotty is the moving center concerned with the mechanics of the body and all physical movements and energy distribution.

Spock is the intellectual center with logic and clean emotionless analysis - keeping hunches (intuition) and fear at bay.

Kirk is the emotional center dealing with all centers and the impetus of intuition and knowing - mundane emotions and the higher emotional centers.

Spock is special not only in his abilities but he is divided against himself - his struggle with the human side of his Vulcan nature and the constant brushing with Kirk - the eventual trusting of this intuitive captain.

The entire voyage is an awareness in present time - it is to go out and "be" in space. To move about, not meddle and Be and interact.

Edited by Spotless
  • Like 3

Yup, BG was refreshingly addictive, as Homer Simpson would put it. I loved Caprica and can only guess how the males reacted -- the sexiest character ever. Reminded me of "real" stars, European legends of the older movies.

As for acting, I was barely tolerating Adama-senior, he's supposed to be strength and courage incarnate and he's such a drama queen, every time things get rough he starts out by throwing a tantrum. One too many for my taste. Or ten.

Loved the astrological twist of the plot. The Twelve Colonies! Far out! :D

Regarding Adama-senior, I don't quite agree. He convinced me as an extremely confident Commander. I think he really climaxed when he defied Admiral Caine and launched his Vipers to get two of his men out who were imprisoned on the Pegasus and sentenced to death because they had killed one of her officers in defence of a Cylon girl. The two fleets squaring off, with totally confused Starbuck bumping into the scene... That was awesome!

Ok, his temper could be a nuisance at times. "I'm so human - it's okay - for me to - feel this way..." (Song by Lady Souvereign)

Loved the astrological touch, too. The "map" of the twelve constellations showing them the way to Earth... A nice spin-off from the twelve colonies idea that was already in the original series.

Where the frak did I leave those DVD boxes?! I think I will look for them now...

Edited by Michael Sternbach
  • Like 2

You might get a kick out of this.

When my daughter was about 4 I got the entire Star Trek: The Next Generation series on VCR, stripped of commercials. She and I watched the entire 8 or 9 seasons together. Then she watched them on her own a few more times. She still now and then will watch an episode on Netflix. Suffice to say she seriously grew up with Star Trek.

So we're having a conversation one day about some topic that includes aliens. And I say something and mention Worf.

She looks at me like I'M the alien now and gasps, "What?! Worf's not an alien! He's a Klingon!"  She was hugely offended on his behalf.

I realized that because she grew up with him in the 'friend' role, to HER he was not an alien.

The romulans were aliens though they look almost identical to us. But Worf? Nawwww. He's one of us!!

• Like 3

Well, consider that in the mirror universe the Vulcans were greatly feared. However, the Vulcan culture is nonsense if not impossible, whereas Klingons are in a sense more realistic.

8)

The thing I loved about Andromeda was the idea that solar bodies had avatars associated with them. What a cool concept. There was a great script/short story that the original producer (I think) released that told the story of the universe from Trance's perspective through a cockpit dialogue with Harper. It was great but never made it to the screen. Too bad!

Also season 5 sucked, esp the origin of the Nicheans. :P

8)

• Like 1

The thing I loved about Andromeda was the idea that solar bodies had avatars associated with them. What a cool concept.

It's probably true.

There was a great script/short story that the original producer (I think) released that told the story of the universe from Trance's perspective through a cockpit dialogue with Harper. It was great but never made it to the screen. Too bad!

Do you happen to have a reference for that? I'd love to read it!

Trance was pretty much my favourite character in the series.

• Like 1

^ That's what I believe to be true. I wish to be true. We are all Sun Gods, at least we'll became sooner or later.

• Like 1

The thing I loved about Andromeda was the idea that solar bodies had avatars associated with them. What a cool concept.

What does that mean? Sounds right on! Wish I'd seen that! 

My favorite SF show barely had a chance to get started. It had the horrible title "Space: Above and Beyond."

What does that mean? Sounds right on! Wish I'd seen that!

My favorite SF show barely had a chance to get started. It had the horrible title "Space: Above and Beyond."

Each solar body had a consciousness associated with it that could also manifest as a physical being. They often had strange powers and insights and were fairly mysterious to other races. They could wander off and 'forget' their original source.

The main character, Dylan Hunt, spent some centuries stuck on the event horizon of a black hole. It gets revealed that during that time he was entertained by the black hole's avatar who fell in love with him. Its later revealed that one of his new crew members, Trance, is also an avatar, and she undergoes a transformation to awaken herself.

In the script I mentioned the avatars called themselves 'Lucifers' and their desire to bright light to the dark void is the initial cause of suns igniting.

8)

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this