Rara - this is a cut-and-paste from a precious post I made that fits your question:When I was 14 my Lower Dan Tien (LDT) turned on.I was at a ski area and it had turned to -5 degrees and I was in danger of hypothermia - I was not wearing much, the ski area had a swing in temperature of about 30 degrees. At about the time that I became very very concerned suddenly my LDT turned on and became quit hot, within just minutes my entire body was steaming from earlobes to toes. I was able to traverse through three ski lifts and get back to the lodge like this. When you add in wind factor as I was blasting down the hill with no hat on either, it was a pretty specific mechanism that was working. (I had no idea what it was at the time, but it was certainly not something I had developed in this life through any conscious practice)The second time the same LDT turned on was during a breakup with a girlfriend - the emotions were very difficult and then just a suddenly as before my lower dan Tien turned on and just started processing these waves of emotion. When I say processing it was more like they all went into the furnace. (Same focused ball of heat).The second event happened at a time when I was well aware of my chakras and I did not associate this phenomenon with the chakras. I was not at the time aware of the teaching of the dan Tien's.

Thanks for this.

Now, I'm thinking, would this happen with anyone in a similar circumstances, would you say?

Thanks for this.

Now, I'm thinking, would this happen with anyone in a similar circumstances, would you say?

I had a similar event triggered associated with a very intense emotional moment in my teens.

• Like 1

The triplex unity introduced these alchemical terms that have contributed to much great confusion. To me the deeper teachings exist in the tao te ching and chuang tsu, where alchemical effects may be found by cultivating virtue. If one cultivates energies, but not virtue, how far can one get?

The Triplex Unity is not a text about cultivating energies. Using certain language and ideas derived from the Book of Changes, it describes processes that can unfold naturally when one enters stillness. Cultivating stillness and virtue are not two separate things.

The metaphors of stove, cauldron, medicine, and firing times describe natural conditions and phenomena, not things which are created by the adept. Ultimately, the Triplex Unity is a text about wu wei practice.

• Like 4

The Triplex Unity is not a text about cultivating energies. Using certain language and ideas derived from the Book of Changes, it describes processes that can unfold naturally when one enters stillness. Cultivating stillness and virtue are not two separate things.

The metaphors of stove, cauldron, medicine, and firing times describe natural conditions and phenomena, not things which are created by the adept. Ultimately, the Triplex Unity is a text about wu wei practice.

Thank you for this. I have not read (a translation of) the Triplex Unity, and it was presumptuous of me to judge it as I did.

My projected judgment came from what I read in Cleary's introduction to Solving Symbolic Language, part two of The Inner Teachings. Here it is described how the symbolism introduced in the Triplex Unity was misinterpreted and misunderstood for centuries, resulting in much straying from the path as people tried to find the tao via alternate interpretations of this symbolism.

Certainly there are no shortcuts, and these attempts got what they deserved. But one of the things I appreciate about taoism is the focus on simplicity of explanation. And yet we've got all this deliberately confusing and hidden symbolism, just begging to be misunderstood.

I wonder if this is necessary. Various sources indicate a wise one would avoid leaving any written traces of understanding, as it is sure to be misinterpreted without a guiding hand. This seems to be fairly evident throughout history - the higher a particular teaching is valued, the longer the grip of its confused interpretation tends to last.

Last night I was reading this thread and, after a long bit of searching, I may finally understand the Golden Elixir, and the essence of this work. Less from the Names used, more from the simplicity of the description.

I've ordered Pregadio's Triplex Unity, and the scholar in me is interested in exploring the origin of some of this symbolism.

As far as doing the work goes, my experience seems to indicate it is more important to understand the essence of the work and to allow the details to unfold following their natural course.

Edited by Daeluin

Ahahahahahaha.

Found some excerpts from the Triplex Unity, and they were descriptions from the thread my last post proclaimed for their clarity.

The tao is forever humbling me.

Here's a thread I like about Dantien.

• Like 1

I've ordered Pregadio's Triplex Unity, and the scholar in me is interested in exploring the origin of some of this symbolism.

AH... I didn't realize this was the Cantong qi (The Seal of the Unity of Three).

http://www.goldenelixir.com/jindan/zyctq.html

http://www.goldenelixir.com/jindan/ctq_index.html

I hope you start a thread on it as this would be interesting to talk about.

• Like 1