Icedude

How to get spiritual without really trying

TBs is a wonderful resource if you just bother to look around .. so I tempted to say you should find it yourself but since I am benevolent ... just this once ... http://thetaobums.com/topic/16539-ttc-study-chapter-five-of-the-tao-teh-ching/?p=227296

Yes, it's probably a wonderful resource, but it's also a very huge one, where a single discussion inside a single topic will be helplessly lost in subforums and other posts. It's obviously easier for you, since you know what you are looking for.

I tried to read through it all, but unfortunately the discussion is too long for me to keep up with. I expected a short one. I certainly didn't expect translations of all the chinese characters.

• Like 1

Yes, it's probably a wonderful resource, but it's also a very huge one, where a single discussion inside a single topic will be helplessly lost in subforums and other posts. It's obviously easier for you, since you know what you are looking for.

I tried to read through it all, but unfortunately the discussion is too long for me to keep up with. I expected a short one. I certainly didn't expect translations of all the chinese characters.

Well if you want to understand the TTC its good to go back to the Chinese characters.

Read at your leisure obviously.

Well if you want to understand the TTC its good to go back to the Chinese characters.

Read at your leisure obviously.

Thank you.

Daoism is popular now? When did that happen? Maybe I've been away from TTB longer than I imagined. When I was around more 99.9% of Bits had never heard of Taoism and of those who had few could pronounce it properly.

Yes, you have been away too long. It was supposed to be a break and ended up being an extended vacation.

And It is true, about half the people I speak with and I mention that I am a Taoist they say that they have heard of Taoism.

• Like 1

@marblehead

Oooh. It seems I've hit a nerve. So taoist. Hahahahahahaha.

Tell me once where I have said we should act like something. Go ahead. Quote me. I'm fairly confident you won't respond.

I'll be waiting. Your anger has blinded you towards me. Let's see how ignorant it will make you become. ;)

I feel no anger for you, only friendship.

No, I'm not going to go back through this thread looking for way to put you on the spot.

Yep, I have emotions. But you have misread them. Chuang Tzu had emotions too and he never tried to hide them.

• Like 2

I'm not Chuang tzu and neither are you.

You take the time to post your emotions and irritance towards me but can't spare a mere few minutes to point out to my ignorant juvenile mind where I said such things?

Wow. And here I thought you practiced a virtuous lifestyle Marblehead.

Unless, you simply can't find where I said such things.

Maybe some will soon come to realize that I am opening their narrow minds. As I too have a narrow mind and am wandering the detailed mind of the members here on TTB.

I enjoy it. This is a learning experience. But most members here can't say they practice taoism and act like imbeciles.

Or can they? Who am I to say?

But most members here can't say they practice taoism and act like imbeciles.

Or can they? Who am I to say?

Well, you seem to be doing a pretty good job at that.

• Like 1

This is your third post in this thread.

To be realistic this site followers are very far from the core of taoism. I mean, that shows in this thread alone, not to mention many others.

Look at ways to be virtuous, a superior person, read the TTC and the HHC. Then visit this site.

I'm not saying its a bad thing these people try to be what they aren't and this obviously doesn't apply to everyone.

But you can tell this is a extremely hypocritical forum and I can see why people come and go.

You have god like scholars, hypocrites, liars, I'll practitioners and more and I haven't even met the majority of the user base. I applaud people for trying but honestly don't just call yourself a taoist and then never act like one.

Sounds like Christians. Sheesh. :)

Peace to those that are trying to improve and don't throw around the word taoist in the same insane vein that Christians do.

So many judgements. So many criticisms at those who are not what you expect them to be.

And then calling this forum hypocritical when it you you who is expressing hpyocracy.

And you keep insisting that we should not call ourselves Taoists while you continually express counter-Taoist thoughts and words.

And in closing you try to insult us by comparing us with people of a totally different belief system.

Now, I'm not saying that you are full of BS or anything like that. But what I will suggest is that you have no idea what Taoism is about.

Yes, you have been away too long. It was supposed to be a break and ended up being an extended vacation.

And It is true, about half the people I speak with and I mention that I am a Taoist they say that they have heard of Taoism.

99.9% of 'Brits' not ' Bits'.

The Bits know all about the Tao it's just that there aren't many Bits.

• Like 2

You don't need to do that. Just don't complain. I've already explained that I only meant for you guys to grow, and that should be appreciated.

Ok sure...and I thought I made it clear that I understood this, but didn't get the manner in which you chose to approach it. Admittedly, there was some more overflow from the other thread we were bickering in also. If I'm not in agreement, and if I perceive something you've written as being sarcastic or in bad taste, it's only natural that I respond the way I seem fit, right?

That said, it felt to me that you thought you had the need to get defensive because I was highly opposed to some things you said. Like you didn't wan't the challenge or were "above it" or whatever. You didn't answer most of the things I've been asking and to my mind, you've been quite dismissive...plus, you have made many blind judgements of me!

But this is just my opinion. I am unsure whether you can even perceive things any way like I do - so our little debate is probably not worth the energy anyhow.

• Like 2

@Exalted

The fact that you have said on more than one occasion, to paraphrase... you were surprised to not find many competent Taoists on the forum...

I don't doubt that this could be the case - all I'm doing is asking. Simply conversing with you about your views.

"So many judgements. So many criticisms at those who are not what you expect them to be.

And then calling this forum hypocritical when it you you who is expressing hpyocracy.

And you keep insisting that we should not call ourselves Taoists while you continually express counter-Taoist thoughts and words.

And in closing you try to insult us by comparing us with people of a totally different belief system.

Now, I'm not saying that you are full of BS or anything like that. But what I will suggest is that you have no idea what Taoism is about."

You say those are criticisms and judgments? Interesting. I call that noticing.

Who have I insulted? Did I say YOU act like a Christian? No.

And please, enlighten me oh great Marblehead of the TTB forums, the exalted premier student of the land filled with vast knowledge and incapable comprehension of the ancient texts how I have said one thing counter to taoist beliefs?

Seems your dodging the most basic practice-acceptance. It seems here that you have failed to practice non duality, judgment, criticisms and more all in one post. What does the TTC say? "Turn your judgments inwards before turning them on someone else".

But what would you know of that? You enjoy preaching to everyone how your knowledgeable and so on and so forth, but yet here you sit, doing multiple things the TTC says not to. How Taoist of you.

Now, let's look at your anger. How misconceived can you be (being a taoist and all) to take my words so literally? You know nothing of me and my practice but yet you pass judgment. What's the word I'm looking for here....hypocritical.

And I am not a taoist? Ah. The classic rebuttal of an argument. " well...well...your not "x"."

Come on now. Let's show our proper age.

Everyone is a taoist my dear. I feel competent and full with my knowledge regarding taoism. Because I do not subjecate myself to modern day teachings of taoism does not mean I am not one.

Review yourself. Take a step back and look at what you have said and where your misguided thoughts have gotten you. Not only have you put me on the "spot" as you said you wouldn't earlier, but you have failed to see my objective.

I will heed my own words as well. I will review everything and see where I stand. But I understand this conversation to the fullest-as to where you do not.

Practice real taoism for a moment-humor me if you will. Analyze, understand, and turn your judgment inwards. ;)

Ok sure...and I thought I made it clear that I understood this, but didn't get the manner in which you chose to approach it. Admittedly, there was some more overflow from the other thread we were bickering in also. If I'm not in agreement, and if I perceive something you've written as being sarcastic or in bad taste, it's only natural that I respond the way I seem fit, right?

That said, it felt to me that you thought you had the need to get defensive because I was highly opposed to some things you said. Like you didn't wan't the challenge or were "above it" or whatever. You didn't answer most of the things I've been asking and to my mind, you've been quite dismissive...plus, you have made many blind judgements of me!

But this is just my opinion. I am unsure whether you can even perceive things any way like I do - so our little debate is probably not worth the energy anyhow.

Yes, I am "above it all". The things you've pointed out are constructs made and shaped to attack me. It's like saying: "Your poo is disgusting and completely inedible." So don't eat my poo then. It wasn't meant to be eaten.

Yes, I am "above it all". The things you've pointed out are constructs made and shaped to attack me. It's like saying: "Your poo is disgusting and completely inedible." So don't eat my poo then. It wasn't meant to be eaten.

It is pointless talking with you.

Talk about hitting nerves. Again, you chose to highlight ONE part of what I was trying to say in order to to prove whatever point you want to make.

But I had better stop mentioning you. I must be attacking or bullying you, whatever I say.

Edited by Rara

~mod message~

Hello. Complaints on this thread and the issues thread with the same group there. Please do your best to keep it civil. These threads may be subject to further review or being moved. Thank you!

Hi Mod.

I think we are doing a pretty good job in these two threads at being civil considering the subject matter.

There are strong, very contradictory understandings regarding the subject matter. There will be conflict. Emotions will get involved. I think all involved are doing the best we can to not offer any personal insults.

The disagreements we have in these two threads should be talked about, I think, because it really concerns what Taoism and this board is all about. Some people get an incorrect image of what the board and its members are about. To allow the misunderstandings to persist without arguement would not be fair to the members or the board.

• Like 4

You say those are criticisms and judgments? Interesting. I call that noticing.

But if, after noticing, rather than concentrating on what you think are negatives why not offer some positivity?

Who have I insulted? Did I say YOU act like a Christian? No.

Your statement was a generalization therefore it was all inclusive.

And please, enlighten me oh great Marblehead of the TTB forums, the exalted premier student of the land filled with vast knowledge and incapable comprehension of the ancient texts how I have said one thing counter to taoist beliefs?

You start out with sarcasm then pretent you have a true interest in any answer to the question you ask. But yes, we have already done those things you ask about. Too bad you weren't here at the time. But you could always go to the Toaist Studies threads and read some of them. There are many members here who are very knowledgable of the ancient texts of Taoism. Some of our members can even read the ancient Chinese characters and do a rather outstanding job at offering their understanding of these texts.

Seems your dodging the most basic practice-acceptance. It seems here that you have failed to practice non duality, judgment, criticisms and more all in one post. What does the TTC say? "Turn your judgments inwards before turning them on someone else".

Where in the TTC does it say that?

Duality is where we live. You example this by being so critical. As with judgement and criticism. You think that you can do all these things but no one else can just because you have set a separate standard for yourself and then a much higher standard for all others.

I have someone coming over for a visit so I will post this now and return to it in a little while.

But what would you know of that? You enjoy preaching to everyone how your knowledgeable and so on and so forth, but yet here you sit, doing multiple things the TTC says not to. How Taoist of you.

Now, let's look at your anger. How misconceived can you be (being a taoist and all) to take my words so literally? You know nothing of me and my practice but yet you pass judgment. What's the word I'm looking for here....hypocritical.

And I am not a taoist? Ah. The classic rebuttal of an argument. " well...well...your not "x"."

Come on now. Let's show our proper age.

Everyone is a taoist my dear. I feel competent and full with my knowledge regarding taoism. Because I do not subjecate myself to modern day teachings of taoism does not mean I am not one.

Review yourself. Take a step back and look at what you have said and where your misguided thoughts have gotten you. Not only have you put me on the "spot" as you said you wouldn't earlier, but you have failed to see my objective.

I will heed my own words as well. I will review everything and see where I stand. But I understand this conversation to the fullest-as to where you do not.

Practice real taoism for a moment-humor me if you will. Analyze, understand, and turn your judgment inwards. ;)