Songtsan

Should I kill the mice?

yesterday I saw a bag of cheese packets moving on the counter, I went and picked it up and a little mousey was hanging out of it....he jumped into the stove real quick-like, underneath a pan sitting on top of the burner. S/he was so cute...We are just going to let them live here until the next people move in....which is basically like leaving them to die in the end I guess... :mellow:

I'm not going to kill 'em - they are just trying to be happy little guys & gals..I feel for 'em though...

we used to be mice too back in the day...when the comet hit and killed all the dinos, some of the only things left were little mousey-rat like critters, which eventually became monkeys, apes and stuff down the line...

those are our little cousins!

• Like 1

Fascinating discussion. Once I had to get an army of ants out with cayenne pepper and talc. This was much more successful than using killer, as it meant that I didn't have to hoover up a load of corpses in the morning. There were a couple of deaths but better than the whole lot, right? We later got the outside of the house sealed up :D

Last month I was staying with friends in Australia. A cockroach flew out from behind a chest of drawers one night. The angle was tight for me to catch it in a glass so my friend says, "move out of the way and I'll spray it. They carry diseases so we should just kill it". It was his house and didn't fancy arguing, so I watched as it was sprayed, then kicked about in pain on its back for half the night before finally dying. I didn't feel to great that night, but what could I do?

It makes me wonder, is it justified to kill something if it's supposedly bad for something...like carrying germs and diseases. If we do, then aren't we being a bit messianic?

We are just going to let them live here until the next people move in....which is basically like leaving them to die in the end I guess... :mellow:

I'm not going to kill 'em - they are just trying to be happy little guys & gals..I feel for 'em though...

Don't you feel that by leaving them there, and knowing that the next people that move in will kill them, shouldn't you do something to free them prior to this? Just going on the assumption that the next people that move in wont be as spiritual/sensitive as yourself?

There's always catch and release (far away), but in winter thats tantamount to killing it. In summer its not a bad approach. With bugs I'll do it half the time, my kids will do it most of the time.

Don't you feel that by leaving them there, and knowing that the next people that move in will kill them, shouldn't you do something to free them prior to this? Just going on the assumption that the next people that move in wont be as spiritual/sensitive as yourself?

Indeed I had this very same thought - but if I were to catch them and let them go outside they would probably freeze to death or die some other way. I opted for the path of neutrality in this one. I even fed them last night - some peanut butter and Sun Chips...

• Like 1

I put most bugs outside, but mosquitos, no.

Putting food out for the mice might attract more btw...

I know! I am playing mouse games! I put stuff out and stay there real quietly to see if I can catch them...with my bare hands - oh I am a meanie! I won't hurt them though...they need to be trained to be ninja mice! Soon i will have them in line, then I can send them out on missions....maybe I will mail you a ninja mouse! then you can have your own mouse-assassin. Bet you would like that!

Can they take care of the door to door evangelists for me? :D

All you have to do is express the fact that you are an Atheist and it won't be long and they won't even stop at your house anymore. Worked great for me. I haven't had a visit in many years.

Can they take care of the door to door evangelists for me? :D

I have a trick for those guys, what I do is this:

When they come to my door, I say: "Excuse me, I have to go sacrifice a goat to complete my ritual...it will only take a second..."

• Like 1

I have a trick for those guys, what I do is this:

When they come to my door, I say: "Excuse me, I have to go sacrifice a goat to complete my ritual...it will only take a second..."

That is pretty antisocial of you.

I usually ask them to help :D.

• Like 3

That is pretty antisocial of you.

I usually ask them to help :D.

I only experienced this event once in my life, but it has always remained in my memory, which means that it is significant. Upon analysis, I think that I wanted to proselytize them as much as they wanted to proselytize me, so I know that I suffer from attachment to wanting to shape others in my own ways..therefore I have a God-complex, which is dirty - as everyone already are Gods. Let each choose their own path. This is non-attachment, this is wu wei.

Edited by Songtsan
  • Like 1

Sealing all the possible entries can help to lessen mice. But, if they are many I use insecticides to get rid them all.

Knock knock

" ( Oh crap ... its the 7 day adventists again ! ) "yes , yes, come in for a discussion ... but we will have to go through the house and out the back to my library as my wife wont have Christians in the house ...."

< leads them out the back to the mouse plague infested shed.> "Now just stand there while I open this door .... "

Rats-Mice_3_NAA.jpg

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 3

Knock knock

" ( Oh crap ... its the 7 day adventists again ! ) "yes , yes, come in for a discussion ... but we will have to go through the house and out the back to my library as my wife wont have Christians in the house ...."

< leads them out the back to the mouse plague infested shed.> "Now just stand there while I open this door .... "

Rats-Mice_3_NAA.jpg

wow!

Songtsan, this made me think of you! lololol

http://mouseshouses.tumblr.com/

tumblr_my59raMP4U1r6lh11o1_1280.jpg

The Multnomah Central Library is hosting a show of children’s book illustrators from December 21st to January 31st. I’ll have characters and sets from The House That Mouse Built on display. Come to the opening reception tomorrow and say hello! 12:00 - 2:00, in the Collins Gallery on the third floor. More details…

tumblr_mwymdiSkDS1r6lh11o1_1280.jpg

Roast walnut day!

• Like 1

Songtsan, this made me think of you! lololol

http://mouseshouses.tumblr.com/

And its true - they have families and they love and they feel...I will never kill mice again!

I told this story before, but it's important: when I was a little kid, there was a mouse that lived on the outside of our house, it would come out from under the porch - it wasn't in our house, just under the porch...I put some food out there and waited sneakily where it couldn't see. I hit it with a piece of wood and it shrieked in pain. I immediately felt sorry and remorse and guilt and shame.

Another time later, me and my brother were trying to trap sparrows...we had a box tilted up and held by a stick, with bread spread out underneath, with a long rope attached to the stick...when the sparrows went under the box, we pulled the rope to trap them. The shakti later gave me a nightmare where I was on a beach...there was a bird cage on the beach with a sparrow in it. I tried to reach my hand in to grab the sparrow so I could play with it, the sparrow pecked my hand and jumped up to my face and pecked my face bloody and said, "Stop trying to catch us! We will eat your face!" I woke up scared for my life. The Tao was protecting its own from its cruel children (me).

All beings are important. I will not knowingly kill another being....

I guess maybe I should trap the mice? Or not? Let them be...I don't know what to do with them if I catch them...it's winter out...

I take everything as a spiritual lesson nowadays - its all right in front of our face - learning wherever/whenever we want...the true guru, the Tao, ever present, ever knowing, ever us...

What ? .... as a scuba diver ?

mouse_horror.gif

Looks more like a mousetronaut to me ... or is it Sandra Bullock from that film Gravity?

• Like 1