Jetsun

The importance of Bodhichitta and compassion

You know someone who received Karmamudra in Kalacakra?

Other than Lama's, no. From what I heard, the Kalacakra Tantra, really doesn't have the most positive view of women.

Well, I can already see your lack of awareness and understanding quite clearly - so I dont expect you to have an accurate view on this. Projections and distortions? That I can expect.

Study is no substitute for practice, although it can seem that way for certain people.

I can see that you're not mature enough to objectively discuss the implications of these views without being overly defensive to challenges made against these views.

Traditionally, Gelugpa's emphasize ascertaining correct view i.e. dependent origination during study/hearing (the teachings), contemplation (of the teachings) and meditation (on the teachings); from the beginning up till the moment of realization, this is the prime objective. Needless, to mention, is the approach of sutrayana.

You may wish to reconsider how much time you spend being fixated on (and clinging to) "conceptual elaborations" you have acquired second-hand.

Says the guy with the quote from the Bhagavad Gita in his signature. :rolleyes:

Edited by Simple_Jack

DRT, are you conflating 'compassion' with 'wimpiness'?!

No, it's just that most of those who write about compassion have no idea of what it really is.

Nor they can grasp its relation with emptiness and how it's generated in emptiness... and how it leads to emptiness!

Therefore,I strongly advice to generate the "intention" of saving sentient beings continuously, but to cultivate the strong feeling of compassion only for friends, relatives and generally people who care about you.

If there will be some "extra" it will flow by itself...

No, it's just that most of those who write about compassion have no idea of what it really is.

Nor they can grasp its relation with emptiness and how it's generated in emptiness... and how it leads to emptiness!

Therefore,I strongly advice to generate the "intention" of saving sentient beings continuously, but to cultivate the strong feeling of compassion only for friends, relatives and generally people who care about you.

If there will be some "extra" it will flow by itself...

This is missing the point completely. The 4 immeasurables are antidotes to closed minded behavior which can actually help towards cutting the links of self-grasping: which is the condition for experiencing samsara. In Hinayana, cultivating the brahmaviharas lead to experiencing the different form realm samadhi's.

give me a clue, here .. is the 'oh snap' stuff youjust posted you modelling cutting the ties of self grasping? Was that you cutting the tie of of your self grasping at being juvenile?

Neither, It made me EL O EL.

• Like 1

Why do Buddhist threads so often lead to RF and S_J starting unnecessary 'debates' based on ad hominems?

For effs sake, guys, is it not possible to suggest ideas and have a productive debate without looking down on people for being too conceptual, or too Gelugpa, or too sutrayana, or for not knowing as much as other people about something?

What is the point of these childish comments about things like people having a quote from Hindu scripture in their signature, as though that invalidates all their opinions? This sectarianism and scholarly waving dicks around has got to go!

The irony of this being on a thread about effing BODHICHITTA would be hilarious if it weren't so sad to see that a thread about such a noble [i would say concept, but you'd probably yell at me. So place here whatever word meets your standards of precision and non-conceptuality, O scholars] devolves so rapidly into the shrieking of kids in a sandpit.

• Like 3

I have compassion for your ESS O AITCH.

You'd probably feel the same way if you knew the Dhammapada story of Moggallana/Maudgalyayana grinning when he saw a skeleton-ghost tormented by fire while flying through the air.

Why do Buddhist threads so often lead to RF and S_J starting unnecessary 'debates' based on ad hominems?

For effs sake, guys, is it not possible to suggest ideas and have a productive debate without looking down on people for being too conceptual, or too Gelugpa, or too sutrayana, or for not knowing as much as other people about something?

What is the point of these childish comments about things like people having a quote from Hindu scripture in their signature, as though that invalidates all their opinions? This sectarianism and scholarly waving dicks around has got to go!

The irony of this being on a thread about effing BODHICHITTA would be hilarious if it weren't so sad to see that a thread about such a noble [i would say concept, but you'd probably yell at me. So place here whatever word meets your standards of precision and non-conceptuality, O scholars] devolves so rapidly into the shrieking of kids in a sandpit.

Because you people commenting on these threads aren't practitioners of buddhadharma and don't understand the basics such as the 37 factors of awakening.

Edited by Simple_Jack
  • Like 1

It really would be an interesting article to contribute, if you know about various ways of laughing on the path to liberation, to write some up and illustrate them with food examples.

How about you tell me what's acceptable humor and I'll get right to doing that. :)

• Like 1

Give yourself a moment to realise your post here has zero bearing on what I said.

You realize, I wasn't the one who originally posted those images right? Yet you commented as if I was the one who posted them.

This is missing the point completely. The 4 immeasurables are antidotes to closed minded behavior which can actually help towards cutting the links of self-grasping: which is the condition for experiencing samsara. In Hinayana, cultivating the brahmaviharas lead to experiencing the different form realm samadhi's.

No, keep in mind that the Hinayana teachings were given to MONKS, people who practiced celibacy and renunciation because compassion and loving-kindness (the real ones) will lead people to give away everything!

Think about all the stories of the saintly hermit who gives away the little food that he possess to the casual traveler...

Nonetheless, the brahmaviharas put limitation concerning certain subjects (no loving-kindness toward a dead person, for example).

With a little experience in true cultivation, one will see "why" it is so.

As for the four immeasurable: they are supposed to set up an intention, but not to develop the actual feeling of compassion, which is the stuff of dedicated practitioners (hermits, etc...). This feeling is also indispensable for tantric practitioners...

Nonetheless, the brahmaviharas put limitation concerning certain subjects (no loving-kindness toward a dead person, for example).

With a little experience in true cultivation, one will see "why" it is so.

Could you explain why?

Thanks.

No, keep in mind that the Hinayana teachings were given to MONKS, people who practiced celibacy and renunciation because compassion and loving-kindness (the real ones) will lead people to give away everything!

There are several instances of Buddha teaching the 4 bhramaviharas to lay people, the Kalamas being one example:

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an03/an03.065.than.html

Edited by Simple_Jack